Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Hey when the streams are going on Youtube this time around afterwards, can they be at least put in playlists seperated for each event? Gets a bit hard to sort through the channel when it's all out of order clips in the main upload area and no organized playlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RyokoTK posted:

I really like speed runs like this where the guy skips all the fights and content and just walks OOB around everything. :rolleyes:

This except completely unironically.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sardonik posted:

Man this game sucks, still a pretty interesting run though.

Yeah I actually played this game once and it was dreadful.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Well that was way ahead of estimate.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
So someone mentioned a while ago that someone was going to upload 6 hour raw chunks of the stream to youtube, anyone have a link?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bholder posted:

Why does Shadow the Hedgehog look like this game?

Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog were both handled by the same sub-team at Sega relatively close together.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Eonwe posted:

imagine being the developers of this game, writing the last line of code and being like yea

this is a good game

it is a great game

Acquire Currency! posted:

How did anyone play this game jfc

much slower, in general

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr E posted:

Is grilling a PBJ actually a thing or is he high af

Toasting one definitely is.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Blockhouse posted:

anyone have an archive link to town with no name I need to blow some minds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1SQ0LGi_KE

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
This block was also just going to be 50 minutes of setting up otherwise too.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rorus Raz posted:

A Gone Home speedrun is probably doable since it does actually, you know, end and you don't have to make up stupid poo poo like the AC run.

Plus you can have incentives to take or leave Christmas Duck.

Animal Crossing run's goal isn't "made up stupid poo poo", it's the only ending goal in the game besides "get every single item at least once" which would require weeks of play time or a really bizarre glitch.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The_Franz posted:

How would you speedrun a rail-shooter like Panzer Dragoon or Rebel Assault?

Find glitches in 'em that skip whole sections.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

IcePhoenix posted:

is today the worst day so far for donations? Looks like they haven't even gotten 50k in the last 12-ish hours, did a major bid war end or something?

Well counting from midnight, they started the day with about $459,000 and we're up to $564,000 now. $105,000 in about 20 hours isn't so bad.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mango sentinel posted:

Are either of the Arkham games a remotely interesting speed run?

I personally don't enjoy watching it be played normally, but the speed runners usually glitch it pretty heavily which is pretty entertaining. Hopefully this runner will manage that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mango sentinel posted:

Why does portaxx have 900 different aliases?

It's a good idea if you do a serious job that intersects with internet people, to be honest. She does, so...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mango sentinel posted:

What does she actually do when she's not drawing AGDQ banners or talking about bad games?

She's been an animator/artist for some shows that are popular with internet nerds (not sure if she still is at the moment?) and also does art for indie games and stuff.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm really digging these OOB segments now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jamfrost posted:

I've seen and enjoyed these runs:

I Wanna Be the Boshy
Battleblock Theater
The TAS block
Star Wars: Jedi Knight- Dark Forces 2
Super Mario Bros.:The Lost Levels

What are the entertaining runs that I missed so far?
Sonic Heroes

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

New Concept Hole posted:

HL2Ep2 is a 55 minute Speedrun? Is there not that many skips or am I misremembering the length of that game?

I think the current segmented run is around 43 minutes with loading times not counted? 55 minutes gives a good buffer since a decent bit of the skips in a compiled speedrun like that aren't going to work first time around in a live run.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DARPA Dad posted:

true that.

although CEN64 is aiming to be the bsnes of N64 emulation. excited to see how that turns out

Man even if they were the 10 year old version of zsnes of n64 emulation, it'd be a huge advance over current n64 stuff

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr E posted:

It's just crazy to me that there are tons of games that are still pretty much unplayable with little to no updates this many years on. At least in the OG Xbox's case the team just disbanded.

Yeah it's because the original N64 emulators were based on a race to be the first to have an emulator working while the system was still a major platform. So all of them are just chock full of special hacks for each particular ROM to run correctly, and doing wacky stuff like skipping emulation of large chunks of the system to directly render on your 1999 PC's 3D card for that goal.

This is also why the only TASBot runs on N64 games you tend to see are for a very few popular N64 games where the hacks have piled up high enough to accurately reproduce the console's behavior for that game.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DARPA Dad posted:

yes, the N64's relative failure in the marketplace cannot be pinned down to one particular problem or decision, I agree. but the reason we don't have proper emulation can be much more simplified.

Well yeah but that isn't because of any particular feature of the console, it's the fact that emulating it right wasn't possible on the PC hardware of 1999 or for many years after, so everybody took the heavy shortcuts way instead.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is the link to the donation tracker graph for this year's marathon and last years? Because I'm worried about the pace of donations here. 2 days ago we were well ahead of schedule but things just died.

This time last year, we were somewhere between $40,000 and $60,000 behind current total on the stream.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Uznare posted:

I heard from people at the event that the equipment wasn't in great condition (rf only consoles, bad controllers, snes consoles weren't soft modded, etc)so people have been resorting to practicing in the casual room. Is there any reason why that sponsor was selected without a quality check for the equipment?

How the hell do you soft mod an SNES?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

argondamn posted:

Any thoughts on what killed the donations?

Last year, Friday ended at $622,000. We're sitting here 5 hours ahead of that at $612,000 on normal donations and another $150,000+ on the humble bundle.

So: nothing killed donations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Spelling Mitsake posted:

My understanding was that it was basically the same as the original. :confused:

Sure, for non-speedrun play. Not so much for glitches and speedrunning tricks.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Your Computer posted:

Missed that one, is it glitched or just very efficient?

They use a trick with the replay feature so that you're in a rampage at the same time as a mission, or are in a mission 5 times at once to do things to skip over money requirements and mission progression, as well as skipping hella cutscenes.

The replay trick also allows you to shoot like infinitely faster with unlimited ammo weapons during certain missions (like Phnom Penh 86 and the boat chase one). And apparently you can clip through the underside of the northern bridge to cross into mainland Vice City in order to steal helicopters before you normally unlock the island. And you can use the replay trick to allow you to get phone calls during missions... and during phone calls enemies can not attack you in any way so you can evade massive attacks with it.

poo poo's crazy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JerikTelorian posted:

I would pay a lot of money for this game if it were re-released on Steam or something.

Nintendo is why you can't have this

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
So how'd the other dude die exactly? My stream crapped out for like 10 minutes and it came back in with the single layout and yalls talking about him dying.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
With N64 Nintendo first party games, you tend to have the most glitches in a first edition Japanese release, much less in the North American release, and if a European version was made, it'd tend to have the least glitches from either of the two other versions, but new glitches pop up when adapting to the 50 hertz.

So if you're after full glitches you'll go on the Japanese usually. Except that some games might be faster on the PAL region systems but they're more often slower than all the rest.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Where's the bonus stream going to be? The normal Twitch channel or something else?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr E posted:

I've never really noticed any input lag on HDTV even on my SNES, but I could see it being a problem for speedrunning.

Yeah typically t'll be fine for normal play, but it'll ruin things like attempting frame-perfect or near-frame-perfect tricks.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
AdamAK is fuckin' pro at narrating. It was very neat to see the change between his commentated run of Vice City on SDA several years ago and his run this year's AGDQ especially since both cases he fully explained the techniques being used.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rage McDougal posted:

Also, speaking of AdamAK, was the Vice City run much different to the last SGDQ one? I really enjoyed that one, but it's kind of a long one to watch if not too much has changed.

His AGDQ 2015 run was just 1:04, his SGDQ 2014 run was a full 1:56.

It's a huge difference.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's high time people started really competing on the werehog parts of Sonic Unleashed. There's just gotta be ridiculous skips and poo poo in there waiting for us.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Incoherence posted:

They'd have to be some completely ridiculous skips to make the game even remotely watchable in a marathon setting.

Yeah but it's not like Sonic games are known for iron-clad coding.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

President Ark posted:

I'm pretty sure they did show off Unleashed's night stages during one of the marathons, and a lot of it came down to "abuse this one move to clip outside the level then fly through space to the exit"

Yeah they did a partial showing of 2 Werehog levels at SGDQ one year after an all-day-stages run, but they didn't finish the last level shown because the guy hadn't really practiced the werehog stages much.

Someone who could nail down both the day and night stages really well while making sure to grab enough medals for unlocking levels, so that you have a full story run in a short time, would be really neat to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

raditts posted:

I'm curious as to how people find glitches. Is it mostly by chance, or do people just go around trying weird things to deliberately break the game, or is there some peeking into the memory while the game is running on an emulator, or...?

All three things, pretty much. Random chance tends to lead to something that might be exploitable, people try to replicate it, and if suitable emulators are available people will try it in an emulator to see what's up.

And then there's things like seeing that a glitch already works in a game with a similar engine, and determining if you can replicate it in the older or newer engine in another game.

• Locked thread