Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That is a fantastic book. The whole thing is at archive.org

https://archive.org/details/dangeroustradesh00olivuoft

That is a good book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

No see, the steel is holding everything up and thus they're 100% safe :downs:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Samuel posted:

Looks like somewhere I shouldn't be to me. :tipshat:

it was Goiânia in 1987, I think your expectation of what buildings in poor neighborhoods looked like is a bit uh, inaccurate.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Samuel posted:

Yeah, I read up on it it's pretty much a clusterfuck of poo poo that happened or couldn't happen. I still think the police and the local government is more accountable than the atomic agency though, the courts did post a guard and the dudes DID manage to bypass him when he was distracted to loot that sweet sweet radioactive material.

My previous statements aren't a correct recount of actual events though as the one in my language was incomplete, and THEN I read the English one which gave a better perspective of how it went down.

What are you talking about? Vagrants had been living in the room where the source was stored. There was no bypassing the the guard to loot poo poo.

The IAEA posted:

It is now known that at about the end of 1985 a private radiotherapy institute, the Institute Goiano de Radioterapia in Goiania, Brazil, moved to new premises, taking with it a cobalt-60 teletherapy unit and leaving m place a caesium-137 tele- therapy unit without notifying the licensing authority as required under the terms of the institute's licence. The former premises were subsequently partly demolished. As a result, the caesium-137 teletherapy unit became totally insecure

The Institute Goiano de Radioterapia (IGR) was a private radiotherapy institute owned by a medical partnership. The treatment facilities of the institute's clinic included rooms for teletherapy with caesium-137 and cobalt-60. The IGR had followed the normal licensing procedure described in Section 2.3 and on
17 June 1971 CNEN approved the importation of the caesium-137 source. Shortly afterwards the equipment was installed and inspected and became operational. Under the terms of the operating licence issued by CNEN, a physicist and a physician (one of the partners) were jointly responsible for ensuring that the conditions of the licence were complied with. In particular, there was a requirement that any significant change in the status of the equipment or the facilities had to be reported to CNEN.
It is now known that at about the end of 1985 the IGR ceased operating from these premises and a new partnership took over other premises. The cobalt-60 teletherapy unit was moved to these other premises. Ownership of the contents of the IGR clinic was disputed and the caesium-137 teletherapy unit was left in place. CNEN did not receive appropriate notifications of these changes in status, as required under the terms of the institute's licence. Most of the clinic, together with some surrounding properties, was demolished. The treatment rooms were not demolished but were left in a derelict state and were apparently used by vagrants. (See Photographs 1-3.)
The circumstances that led to the abandonment of the teletherapy machine complete with its caesium-137 source in the old clinic, its becoming insecure and subsequently being broken up have not been completely clarified. Moreover, at the time of writing they are the subject of legal proceedings. However, nothing can deflect from the fact that the professional and moral responsibility for the security of a radioactive source must lie with the person or persons licensed as responsible for it.
R.A. had heard rumours that valuable equipment had been left in
the disused clinic of the IGR (Location A). R.A. and a friend, W.P., went to the site of the disused clinic and tried to dismantle the tele- therapy unit with simple tools. R.A. and W.P. finally succeeded in removing the rotating assembly. The shiny stainless steel casing appeared valuable to them and they took it in a wheelbarrow to R.A. 's house (Location B), half a kilometre from the clinic.
Recognition by the general public of the potential danger of radiation sources is an important factor in lessening the likelihood of radiological accidents. Due consideration should be given to a system of markings for radiation hazards that would be recognizable to the wider public.

The source container wasn't even marked with a danger symbol. The IAEA now has a new symbol for just this kind of situation:

(Def. one of the best scary warning signs ever btw)

quote:

The symbol is intended for IAEA Category 1, 2 and 3 sources defined as dangerous sources capable of death or serious injury, including food irradiators, teletherapy machines for cancer treatment and industrial radiography units. The symbol is to be placed on the device housing the source, as a warning not to dismantle the device or to get any closer. It will not be visible under normal use, only if someone attempts to disassemble the device. The symbol will not be located on building access doors, transportation packages or containers.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Segmentation Fault posted:

This place is not a place of honor.

No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here.

Nothing valued is here.

This place is a message and part of a system of messages.

Pay attention to it!

Sending this message was important to us.

We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

Sounds like a evangelical christian sex-ed discussion :v:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JB50 posted:

Car thief maybe?

The driver appeared to be intoxicated according to police.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

I'm looking to get into HVAC, because I'm a giant poo poo. Will OSHA be my greatest enemy... or my greatest ally???

Don't get into HVAC that's how you die of heat exhaustion!

Just learn how to repair or install them or something! :v:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Toadvine posted:

dang whats an appropriate distance to run from the catastrophic explosion at a facility like this?

Till you can't.

bitcoin bastard posted:

if you have to ask, youre not gonna make it

The real trick isn't how far you run, but when you start running. At the Texas City BP disaster, most of the work crew got away because they gtfo before the ignition occurred. It was the consultants in portable buildings next to the blow down drum that saw most of the fatalities.

Tldr: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9JY3eT4cdM

1 hour version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuJtdQOU_Z4

Both reposts but :shrug:

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 14, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Carbon dioxide posted:

It happened in some theme park, probably in the UK. So employees went into the 'box' under a coaster for a yearly big cleaning thing. You always get people losing stuff while in the coaster, of course. This time, they found an artificial leg. The kind used by people who lost a limb. The strange thing is that nobody ever called up or came to the lost&found saying "Can I please have my leg back?". Not only are those things expensive as hell, you'd think someone who loses a leg would notice when they walk to the exit.

So, fake leg in box under rollercoaster, owner never came back for it. True or not?

I don't know about on a roller coaster, but unclaimed limbs aren't unheard of at major water parks.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

call animal control

Not too long ago they had to shoot a cow that escaped into a town because the authorities couldn't figure out a better option (because they're idiots). I don't think you'd get your security deposit back on the tiger if you called Detroit animal control.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FIRST TIME posted:

Wasn't some politician's response to the complaints that the public was left in the dark about the dangerous chemicals being stored there, that people can easily see where dangerous chemicals are being stored, just drive around and see. Then some people went around to different facilities where chemicals were stored and asked what was being stored there and they got told to gently caress off?

Correct!

quote:

In May, after the Chemical Safety Board report came out, Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott ruled that government entities can withhold the locations of dangerous chemicals listed in state records (Tier II reports) to protect the public from terrorism or other threats. Abbott, a far-right Republican who is the leading candidate for Governor in Texas, then said that people can identify such facilities with a “drive around” their neighborhoods, and that they can find out about the chemicals by asking the companies via letter or email. He originally said they could just walk up and ask, but had to backtrack after remembering those facilities were on private property.
The statements set off a firestorm, and Abbott was forced to concede that this method of inquiry was burdensome, but that he still considered the change in law a “win-win.”

Greg Abbott lost his job...

because he wasn't conservative and anti-regulation enough.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Number_6 posted:

I'm not sure what you mean about losing his job; he only stopped being AG because he was elected Governor.

duh i was thinking dewhurst.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Garrand posted:

This thread has made me wonder just how much brass I've inhaled cutting thousands of keys over the past few years.

During the industrial revolution scissors makers and blade grinders had some of the worst occupational health because of the inhaled metal particles.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Yep. Glad you see it.

This looks really good and safe:

I mean, its like track lighting I guess. Oh I guess it fucks up polarized plugs.

The smugness of that inspector (and the fact the guy made it) makes me so happy.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 31, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

`Nemesis posted:

You just know people will rip the ground prong off plugs to be able to use something like that. A product that shouldn't exist.

Hey now, ground lifts are totally legit and tingly.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Get on my level son!

Obviously its not childproofable, but that's not the biggest problem with that dumb idea.

I was thinking about ways it was fundamentally worse than this:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

EoRaptor posted:

I wonder how many knives and forks can be wedged in there.

Probably about as many as you could wedge into a standard outlet, 2.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Well, its not a full CSB video, but it is newish!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bn4Krb-HoI

quote:

The CSB's upcoming safety video "Filling Blind" presents findings and recommendations into the CSB's investigation of the October 23, 2009, accident at the Caribbean Petroleum, or CAPECO, terminal facility near San Juan, Puerto Rico. A massive explosion occurred when gasoline overflowed and sprayed out from a large aboveground storage tank, forming a 107-acre vapor cloud that ignited.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

IndianaZoidberg posted:

But the craziest part is that no one was killed...somehow?:confuoot:

It seemed bad enough that when the workers got there for the midnight checks...they saw the doom cloud and decided to live.

(This photo is from the day after btw)

A 100+ acre gasoline vapor cloud that engulfed 14 storage tanks filled with gasoline....

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CampingCarl posted:

How would it do that? How would it kill rabbits but not people?

People knew not to stand there.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I can't find the mostly fictional account of soviet OTH radar repair teams having to keep the engine running in their truck in case the alarm rang that the radar is about light up so that they could escape. On at least one occasion the commander was unable to ring the alarm before charging up the radar, thus frying the repair team.

I'm fairly certain it was mostly fiction, but a good read.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

joke_explainer posted:

lots of good words...Xcel energy killing people in confined space because of money

Here's another example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeaX0IRjyd8

A paint removal team was sent to work in a penstock (big long tube). Well, the paint was safe to use, but the solvent used to clean the paint gear released flammable vapors. 5 workers died when they were trapped behind their cleaning gear after it caught fire.

The video does a good job of laying out the many many ways this was avoidable.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

This isn't OSHA this is MSHA! :colbert:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

buttcoinbrony posted:

Yeah what does happen if you've got a completely legal folder that's beat up to the point where it kinda falls open on its own? I guess like all things in the great US of A, it depends on your melanin level and/or bank account balance.

It is illegal. There are many cases in NYC of exactly that happening. A knife that was legal when sold becoming illegal due to wear and tear. Another good reason for PM I guess.

Also, you can buy these knifes in the store then be arrested for carrying it out the door. Never trust your vendor to do regulatory compliance for you, unless it's contracted.

(These knifes are often work requirements for theater techs etc and thus is vaguely OSHA)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nemYBeT4aQY

"Hey Jack, look at this feedwater level indicator!" :stonk:

Real life (simulator)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swr74_CDyLk

Do you know which alarm sounds like someone singing mezzo soprano?

It starts just before someone calls out the reactor trip.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

I love the videos but I also hate that their reports and recommendations on new policies are pretty much entirely ignored. Hell, having to put up more warning paint and a new manual would be an improvement over what happens now.

The CSB is a relatively newer thing, the fact that we have any governmental organization mandated to make those kinds of recommendations is actually huge.

It has worked too, there have been a few emergency changes made to standards due to CSB action.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

OSHA because livestreaming now counts as a job https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_orOT3Prwg&t=4s

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Yeah.....sorry goons. I'm pretty sure OSHA doesn't give any fucks about your office chairs.

Shows what you know about OSHA https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/computerworkstations/components_chair.html

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

OSHA cares where you put your mouse pointer https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/computerworkstations/components_pointers.html

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

No standard number in front of all the word = no fucks given.

Actually, OSHA used to have a specific standard, but congress got rid of it.

Instead:

quote:

Even if there are no guidelines specific to your industry, as an employer you still have an obligation under the General Duty Clause, Section 5(a)(1) to keep your workplace free from recognized serious hazards, including ergonomic hazards. OSHA will cite for ergonomic hazards under the General Duty Clause or issue ergonomic hazard letters where appropriate as part of its overall enforcement program.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yeah the halloween and gore poo poo is just kinda boring

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FIRST TIME posted:

Hell yeah, that's why I never use condoms. Save a buck or two, disappear if something goes wrong.

Do you own a small coal mine or chemical plant or something?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

To be fair, usually poo poo like "should we fix this old valve" this never makes it to Corporate Risk Management, and they'll either say "gently caress yes fix that" or "we should probably fix this worse thing first".

But if Risk Management finds out about your 50 year old pipe, well someone's getting yelled at by their boss because now we're down for a week while we replace the pipe. So instead you have midlevel management cutting corners because admitting a fix is needed would look bad.

Take the Phosgene gas shelters at Dow. They explicitly didn't add one because the concern was if they admitted they needed on at this facility, they'd have to run it up the chain and it would get installed at every facility. Then you have the entire business division pissed at you because you forced them to install gas shelters which comes out of their budget. (And that means they have to cut costs somewhere else...maybe their 50 year old pipe won't get fixed this year....again)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

VendaGoat posted:

You just can't bring it through security

its like most amusement rides, they make the money on concessions.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Good, that means we'll finally start seeing new battery tech if Lithium becomes too rare.

Or we'll open up 3 new mines in North America (2 for Tesla alone).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

flosofl posted:

5cm x 2cm x 2cm (20 cubic cm) is a pretty small phone.

idk I'm pretty glad my phone doesn't have a 2cm thick battery in it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

WarpedNaba posted:

What the hell was this for, edible cluster bombs?

beef weldington

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

goodness posted:

"Have you ever seen a nuclear missile being transported in a convoy? Several helicopters in the air" as there are no helicopters in site in the video. Highly doubtful that is a missile but it is still funny.

What else would you suggest the USAF is carrying in a truck like that?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zedprime posted:

Radioactive placards are yellow. It looks like its placarded for conventional explosives.

I agree it was placarded for conventional explosives. I'm not sure they placard warheads as radioactive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the plane got scared so they had to restrain it and cover its eyes to let it calm down

• Locked thread