Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Wraith is the best support in every region -- about to play support sej, after playing support syndra incredibly well earlier.

Link here: http://www.twitch.tv/riotgames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

gently caress the haters UoL for life.

(aka the people who foolishly predicted a Gambit win).

e: Ok that cass ult was loving incredible.

foutre fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 22, 2015

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Really liking M3's adc's play. He is managing to outshine Dade and Looper this game, it's pretty impressive.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

This is only kind of related to competitive, but Final Five's ADC (they're a challenger team Rhux made that got knocked out of the expansion tournament by Coast), Veritas, made it to the first Challenger spot in NA with almost a 70% win rate. Last year he was on the team that won the OCE LoL Grand Finals. Although his team is honestly kind of mediocre (previously they had Prototype Black of all people as their starting adc), judging from the little I've seen of him he's just absurdly good.

Although Veritas is originally South Korean, it seems like, if it works out, it could be the beginning of a kind of cool trend of picking up start players from lesser known regions. It makes me way more excited for the challenger scene -- I think it would be really good to start cycling in new talent rather than just recycling LCS drop-outs and the same pool of NA solo q stars. Admittedly, he might be more of the exception than the rule, but it really is crazy that an OCE player is on top of the NA ladder, however early it may be.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Jerkface posted:

What the gently caress? I wasn't included on a best AD carry list created by the 16th best AD carry in this region on his stream?

I will crush him.

Seriously, I'm Gold 2 10 LP, what the gently caress? Further, my Caitlyn kda is 2.8....

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

How Rude posted:

nobody picked karma this game though

kill me

Reading the first sentence I genuinely thought it was going to be about the champion, not having seen the games and was briefly so excited.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Also even in solo queue there are players higher ranked than him with better win rates on a similar number of games played, despite the fact that Faker plays primarily the mid champions he's best at so it's not like he isn't trying. And players have solo-killed him in lane/carried as hard as he has. Yes, he's a great player, but he's not head and shoulders above the top players in Korea/China.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

OK, thinking about it more, some players can contend with him in one of the four roles he plays -- they're mechanically similar/have champions they can go toe to toe with him on -- but I doubt any of them are at the same level at all of them. In terms of a combination of versatility + skill, he's pretty unprecedented.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Hylissang did make some really good plays as well though. That was such a ballsy call rushing mid, drat.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

ungulateman posted:

I am going to be super mad if Riot randomly decides to nerf on-hit Fizz out of existence just because it 'doesn't fit their vision of the champion' or some bullshit. :colbert:

I know it hasn't been big competitively, but it was a thing in season 4 as well (especially in the jungle), I don't think it'll get nerfed.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

UoL are just sad rn.

I really like Vizicsacsi's play though, so aggressive and a lot of the time pretty effective. PoE is not looking at all like the player who out-laned Bjergsen, and these teamfights are kind of a disaster...

(Don't like the Leona pick though...)

(Or how they keep losing teamfights)

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

"They outlive... they outlast"

Outlasted me patience for sure...

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Transient People posted:

Yeah, but it's understandable. Everybody in this thread's gotten snippy at somebody for being loving bad at some point. If they're lovely for it, we're all lovely too. :v:

He was "among the most toxic players in League of Legends ever" (according to a Riot article promoting him) and was fined 1,000 dollars not for being toxic, but for repeatedly ignoring warnings to change and being a dick anyway. He is just absolutely next-level bm. Like, he really is (or at least was for a year) an incredibly lovely person.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

Jatt hasn't managed to pronounce CloudNguyen the same way twice while Riv avoids saying it at all.

Given it's the most common Vietnamese name, you'd think it wouldn't be so hard to just, you know, look it up once given it's definitely gonna come up a lot.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

From watching that, it seemed like Locodoco thinks about the game on a different level than, say, Regi/Wildturtle etc. Talking about exploiting 'mid priority' as well versus 'we played like poo poo and picked bad champs' seems to be more productive in terms of long term growth, but what do I know. I'd be really interested to read write ups from some different analysts/coaches on how they analyze the game.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Libertine posted:

It's a special model that's half-Renekton/half-Maokai with a sunfire cape, his only moves are slice and dice and twisted advance, and he AOE sprays Graves' smoke screens around him at all times.

If he's within 40 yards of a player on either team, the Nate Dogg refrain "heyeyeyey smoke weed everyday" from the Next Episode plays on endless repeat over the player headphones blocking their comms.

Pro players bring pocket blitz picks to sabotage the enemy team. I want this.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Also aphro deserves to play with a decent adc every now and again.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Vik + Corki is an insane midgame spike comp. Doesn't hurt that Smeb is a monster as well, but this is working really well. So cool.

e: That said, their late game could suffer. Vik is pretty low range. In this particular game of course, it prolly won't get to that point even vaguely even. OR get to that point at all...

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I think Viktor plus a triforce adc (basically, corki) is a pretty strong combo judging from the LCK games yesterday, the midgame powerspike is huge.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

NovemberMike posted:

He's normally pretty good when he doesn't pick AP runes on Vi.

Yeah, he basically started Karth jungle and is an amazing fiddlesticks with just absurd gank paths, he's pretty much been the standout player in every Challenger team he's been on. That said, AP Vi is perhaps not a good innovation...

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Typical Pubbie posted:

This post made me go back and watch Gambit vs. CJ Frost. Holy poo poo, the level of carnage those games reach before the 15 minute mark! Why can't we have games like that anymore? :smith:

Or any games like early Gambit/M5 pre-CLG.eu. I really liked the season 2 competitive meta, but RIP.

I'm totally fine with an all-Korean final at IEM -- as much as I'd like Gambit to make a stunning run realistically either Korean team would probably roll over any foreigner team in a well-executed but boring stomp (idk if the SC2 terminology is really apt here, but vOv).

I would personally sub out WE for any top 4 LPL team. I know WE sometimes makes good runs (well, besides IEM Shanghai I can't think of a really compelling tourney performance by them since 2012), but even when they're on form they are consistently dissapointing in tourneys.

I also wish that China had two spots (maybe expand the bracket for Wildcard regions?) so we could get to see the exciting teams in China compete, but alas.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

SC Bracer posted:

That is fair, but GE Tigers are nowhere as good as either of the old Samsung teams, which is why I think if any NA team can hit their worlds form there is a small chance. TSM also beat SHRC who won a game legit off SSW (losing to a Svenskeren SK to be fair), and C9 pushed SSB harder than any team besides SSW (but dropped a game to Alliance). It's unlikely, but the doomsday predictions that oh Korea will sweep are somewhat of an overestimation of a region that was very recently completely gutted.

I agree that now's about the best time for a non-Korean team to win an IEM, especially since China only gets to send one team (that happens to also be pretty terrible). That said, best time doesn't necessarilly mean likely time, unfortunately. I think that if EDG was going it could go very differently -- they've done just about the best job of anyone at incorporating superstar Koreans.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Today is GE vs Samsung so it will likely be a boring stomp, too bad.

Not if they blow all their ult on Wraith again. Dang, Samsung is very much in this.

E: ok, Pray is a god.

foutre fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 4, 2015

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Libik/Celaver just got 1v2'd in the saddest way. The enemy corki followed the tether to the buch, killed libik before he used any abilities on him, and then chased Celaver down lane to his death. So preventable...

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Marin Karin posted:

agreed. we should also end lcs now and get to the more important competition, piglet vs lustboy in brood war.

Lustboy can make the lateral move to Starcraft pro, take down Flash in the WCS finals, and gain his power. Then he can retire to HotS and beat up Idra for the next few years.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Typical Pubbie posted:

This is something that has always puzzled me: Where do teams get their income? Is there any source that covers that sort of stuff in depth? I know that Riot pays a meager salary, but beyond that I have no clue how some of these orgs sustain themselves. Top teams can earn money from tournaments, and they probably sell a decent amount of merchandise, but what do the bottom tier organizations do to make money?

I think the majority of their money is from sponsorships and hosting sites in the case of LIquid/TSM/etc., but honestly it's not very transparent and it always seems like a surprising number of sponsors just give gear. I think a good bit is out of pocket as well. It seems like it's either people who are just really passionate and generally run into trouble if there team doesn't do well, or are wealthy enough to finance a big push from the get go (see: Curse, Jack Etienne with Crunchyroll).

(eSports = not a good investment. I want to say the Gravity guy paid like ~80k for the team, which feels kind of silly).

foutre fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 5, 2015

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Caught up on the F5 games -- Veritas has some incredible mechanics, watching his jukes was really cool. That said, he makes some weird decisions. I think if they can get the rest of the team up to his level or close (rank 1 NA is I guess pretty exclusive to a single title-holder) and get tighter shotcalling I think they could be a real contender.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Crumbz, Alex Ich, RF Legendary, Yuno and C9 Intense started a ranked 5 team. This seems pretty interesting and I hope it works out!

I just want Alex and Yuno to be in the LCS. I think genuinely, outside of Madlife, Yuno is the best thresh I've ever seen, judging from her time in China at least. To be honest, I think I'd most like to see her paired with Veritas. I think they are both strong contenders for best in role in NA outside of the LCS.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Asema posted:

Just burn Elements to the ground

I think they've got that covered.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

Holy poo poo, Kasing is undefeated. I didn't even realize that. That's incredible. He is obviously a pretty good addition.

Just figured out KaSing is Yerrowstar, that explains a lot. I haven't watched so much of his play outside of on SHC, but even as long ago as British Tea Time he was a solid player. Interesting trivia -- he started his career 3 years ago on an older H2K squad.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Jerkface posted:

Paragon walks up ontop of the pile up so he can get 3 man flayed with the rest of his team by Bunny.

edit: oh i guess he got hooked, nevermind Paragon u survive this burn

That just means he failed to juke even more skillshots, imo.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

Which top international talent is this exactly? Also if your teams biggest hurdle has been that some players may no longer be the best you are for sure an underdog story the likes of T8.

3/5 s3 world champs, some solid OGN B-teamers, arguably the best mid-laner in Europe, the OCE champs/rank 1 players, etc. etc.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

exethan posted:

Really wish we could see LGD / OMG at IEM.

Or EDG or Snake. Ugh.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

^^^ Hope the criminal charges go through.(they posted nude pics of an oce streamer on their social media earlier...).

WE just forced a 22 minute ff from OMG. IEM wasn't a fluke, drat. Spirit played well, mystic went even with UCI, even ZuYhe looked really good (amazing 4 man ultis, great bindings), and Asuka ' s team fighting (and defense against tower diving) was actually really solid. What a good roster swap.

foutre fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 20, 2015

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Now a support irelia. Rip meta 2010-2015.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Zanael posted:

Somehow, it works, IM's Kalista+Irelia botlane is 6-1 against SKTT1's Lucian+Tresh 0-4

Although apparently being IM versus SKT doesn't work quite as well...

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

I have to see that first SKT game where Tom played Udyr.

Also, Pawn is playing Katarina as a middle finger to the genera League thread in LPL right now http://www.twitch.tv/riotgames2

It was really impressive, it's clear he has some incredible mastery of the champion and has a really solid idea of how to effectively threaten bear stuns with the most kitable champ in history. Their comp's engage also really helped, but it was pretty great all in all. One dragon fight he just walked up, stole dragon, and then proceeded to somehow bait in a winning fight.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

^^ Can you link the channel? That video got deleted.

Flameingblack posted:

The whole exchange between DoA and Monte talking about kidnapping the Maokai and taking him for a ride had me laughing so hard. They're truly the best duo in the world.

Excepting Tastosis.

#bringalltheothersc2casterstolol

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Cool, thanks. I missed the first half of the season except for the first Snake Draven picks -- any games y'all would recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Killed By Death posted:

Helios just sitting in top bush for 2 and a half waves, gets nothing for it....

Brotherly love.

• Locked thread