Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Ohioans from before the 20th century shouldn't count, because Ohio was pretty different then and hadn't begun becoming Modern Ohio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

This is one of those times that I legitimately can't tell which side of the argument this guy is on.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Why would you major in ocean engineering at Texas A&M

Unfortunately Texas A&M, despite being weird as all hell, has a really good engineering program. v:shobon:v

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Hm. Art Briles was on the latest Audibile podcast, and as you might expect the question of Baylor's non-con scheduling came up near the end, and Briles let slip that "I think we're playing Mississippi State up in ’20, ’21" at around 56 minutes in. Neither Baylor or MSU have said anything about it yet, but I hope this is happening. Anything that means I have to listen to less insufferable bellyaching during the non-con is fine by me.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/baylor-bears-art-briles-big-12-college-football-playoff-audible-podcast-042815

Welp

https://twitter.com/stricklinMSU/status/593139107561381888

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Boykin Pros:
Scrambles like a greased pig
Gets better when he actually has time to be a quarterback
Owns

Boykin Cons:
No stop you're going to hurt yourself it was cool but please don't do that again Jesus Christ

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I'm late but will be pouring one out for Wheez tonight. Dude was really funny and watching him descend into a fireball-stupor was always a late-night GDT favorite.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Branson is actually the retiree place, not redneck.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Probably Kansas '15. '14 SMU was godawful, but even the dregs of metroplex recruiting probably gives you more raw talent to work with than you've got in a depleted KU football team.

Plus SMU won a game. I'm not sure Kansas will be up to that this year.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Frinkahedron posted:

edit: gently caress i've fallen into the team catlab hole and i'm laugh crying again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPoXGTImcDI

e2: wow I did not mean to double post

This is legit my favorite football video so thank you for this.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Sash! posted:

Those were some pretty frightening weeks when there was a realistic chance Al Golden could be coaching my team

But look at all the first round talent he's produced! :shepface:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

computer parts posted:

I found out today that Waco has a bunch of mammoth bones so there's one cool thing about that city.

Shame about the university, though.

There are also a bunch of Branch Davidian bones there to be fair.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Preseason polls shouldn't matter but unfortunately do in actuality just because those teams get the most undeserved hype and stay ranked longer while good teams struggle below for longer than they should.

Perfect example is A&M vs. SCAR last year. All that hype meant jack by the end.

Though last year it did cause TCU to go from like 25 to 10 after beating an OU who turned out to be pretty meh. :v:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Sith Happens posted:

How long ago? Downtown Fort Worth has had some pretty major improvements and additions in the years I've lived here. The Sundance Plaza area where GameDay sets up was opened in 2013 and is surrounded by new restaurants and bars. It's a pretty lively spot now.

The problem with the Cowboys Classic games in Arlington that ESPN had for the first couple of years is that there really is no area more boring as gently caress than the parking lot at Cowboys Stadium. It's a massive open space, but its location means it doesn't work at all for the public to be involved. Even fans from the visiting schools can't easily join in for GameDay, because chances are they're staying at hotels miles away. It just didn't make for a good atmosphere.

Downtown Fort Worth made for a pretty good backdrop for the season's first GameDay last year. In addition to all the visiting fans from Florida State and Oklahoma State, there were cheerleaders and bands from TCU, UNT, SMU, plus all the locals who came out just for the fun of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM9m35mkvDI

Since they've set up shop down here for the Super Bowl in 2011, NCAA Final Four and College GameDay in 2014, and the National Championship early this year, ESPN really seems to have a thing for downtown Fort Worth.

Yeah, living in Ft. Worth owns nowadays and the fact that they still do free parking downtown is a godsend.

However, if you are moving to Texas, please do not move to Fort Worth because I do not want you living here.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I was just about to post about those San Diego State uniforms, because holy crap those own so hard.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Taking a look at the Thursday night schedule, usual mix of second-or-third-tier P5 games, could-get-fun G5s and a few duds. Oregon @ Arizona St. looks like the highlight on paper.

Wk 1: UNC-SCar, TCU @ Minnesota, OK State @ Central Michigan (AT Central Michigan?!), Michigan @ Utah
Wk 2: La Tech at W. Ky.
Wk 3: Clemson @ Louisville
Wk 4: Cincy @ Memphis
Wk 5: Miami @ Cincy -- two Thursdays in a row for Cincy (this game is gonna be unwatchable right?)
Wk 6: SMU @ Houston, Washington at USC
Wk 7: Auburn @ Kentucky, UCLA @ Stanford
Wk 8: Temple @ ECU, Cal @ UCLA
Wk 9: UNC @ Pitt, WV @ TCU, Oregon @ Arizona St. -- possibly best of the year
Wk 10: Baylor @ K-State, Miss. St. @ Mizzou, Nevada @ Fresno St.; this could give Wk. 9 a run for its money Northern Illinois @ Toledo I am dumb
Wk 11: VT @ GT, Kent St. @ Ohio, Toledo @ Central Michigan oh these are Tuesday
Wk 12: ECU @ UCF Ball St. @ Ohio, Toledo @ Bowling Green I am so bad at reading
Wk 13: Texas Tech @ Texas BG @ Ball St., Ohio @ UNI

WV @ TCU may be pretty cool, that game has come down to either overtime or a 1-point game each of the 3 years they've been in the Big XII.

E: the last 30 minutes of 2012, good lord (start at 1:45 or so): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMV-wbYx5Zc

Chieves fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 8, 2015

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah the energy drink thing was a scam and he ended up being charged with wire fraud.

Seems like I remember something about how he's supposed to be an rear end in a top hat in general but I can't remember where I saw that.

Wasn't it something too like he still uses his fame to creep on girls at games?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

^^ Aggie will probably be pretty great with a competent DC, even though that may take a year or two to really set in though. The division is still a huge toss-up though, which could easily help or hinder them.

Also, as one of the "younger" generation guys (despite lurking more than posting), this is still my favorite football subforum just because of the actual intelligent non-rivals talk that permeates Literally Every Other Forum. It's also nice hearing from a diverse school mix and not just a team-specific echo chamber. My only wish was that I discovered this subforum sooner!

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

anne frank fanfic posted:

You better like my teams (champions 2016)

Well I'm a TCU fan so

(And I live in DFW and not Houston SO)

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Surprised this one wasn't posted yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfebpLfAt8g

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Scarf posted:

Welp, time to add Baylor to the gently caress 'em list I guess. Let's see...

gently caress 'Em
  • Baylor
  • Notre Dame
  • Ohio State*
  • Penn State
  • FSU
  • South Carolina*

*Added due to general, non-sex crime related hatred.

There's that episode of To Catch a Predator with the Ohio State fan, you can remove the asterisk.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Jesus, Art:

Chieves fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 21, 2015

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Sure, but I'd feel like an rear end in a top hat if I kept right on cheering for that Vandy team too.

It will get better. Speaking as somebody who Survived™ the TCU drug bust (and 4-8) season as a student, you can still be there to appreciate the sport as well as the players who weren't absolute morons.

E: but yeah if you have some personal stuff time away from the internet and time outside and/ or with friends is always the best panacea.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

kayakyakr posted:

Don't have to go back too far to find another player with a history of sexual assault that Baylor still recruited:
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/17/texas-lb-recruit-arrested-for-reported-sexual-assault/

LOL but probably ain't helping

Nox, you could always root for Georgia Tech. They have an unconventional offense, their coach owns, and the rep the best GIF of the past few years.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

kayakyakr posted:

It is in the southern states.

Apparently the jury has to recommend probation in order for the judge to lighten the sentence to that. Still 180 days is loving light as hell for loving up a woman for the rest of her life.

They just read her statement on the radio on the drive home. That's awful. :smith:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I'm so happy my team plays Thursday so that my personal off season is just a little bit shorter. :allears:

Also, "Swagger? More like fagger" is the perfect week 1 thread title and it is a sign of a living and good God that the perfect title always manages to fall into our hands.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

These teams need every schematic advantage they can muster in order to better handle those juggernaut cupcake teams they face this weekend.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

bacon flaps posted:

Someone explain how this rivalry even came to be

:20bux: :20bux: :20bux:

Also, is the LSU band allowed to play Neck again? Because that owns.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

OpaqueEcho posted:

Anyone else working on a GDT? I'll put one together if not.

Thread title needs to still be "Swagger more like fagger" from those Miami posts earlier.

And then just make the OP a bunch of the pictures.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

TCU scraped by, but a win is a win. Really surprised by the stoutness of the Minnesota defense, that alone should get them pretty far in the B1G this year, especially if Leidner ever decides to play like he did in that second to last drive.

TCU may fall behind Bama if they win convincingly, but I'm not too concerned about that right now considering 1) Polls don't matter for a few weeks still and 2) They're one of, like, 6 or 7 teams to play a power 5 opponent this week so it's a game that actually matters. No way Baylor would jump up too high even if they destroy SMU because, well, SMU.

Either way, good to see some freshmen get some playing time in. I'm surprised that I'm more concerned about the offense than the defense now what with all the retention or lack thereof in both units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Does anybody have a good GIF of Baylor players killing the SMU QB last night?

• Locked thread