Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sash! posted:

Baylor lost to sparty, so they are worthless garbage too wet and soggy to even catch on fire in the bottom of the portajohn some teenagers tried to set on fire

I'm okay with this description if it means that TCU is literally a small pile of wet poo poo. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I mean, we still kind of had one phony in there, it's just unfortunate that the phony in question was undefeated.

Wouldn't be a problem if we expanded to 8.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

The goal of the 4 team playoff was to make sure an undefeated team didn't get left out. It accomplished it's goal, and the rest is bickering among teams that dropped a game. If it was 8 teams then Ole Miss fans would have been bitching that Miss St got in over them.

Because Ole Miss was so clearly a playoff contender by the end?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

kittenmittons posted:

Oh Cardale is returning. For some reason.

I mean, he only played 3 games - big loving games, sure, but would he really have a great shot in the draft?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Baylor continuing down the road of Full Oregon, debuts gunmetal Grey helmets.

I like 'em, although I'm not sure I can really picture them with any of the uni combos we have now. Maybe with the black or white unis, or we might be getting new uniforms entirely. I seem to remember hearing that we had a two-year thing going with nike.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fluffdaddy posted:

Don't go full Oregon cause that leads to never winning a national championship.

Well so far Full Baylor leads to never winning a major bowl game, so maybe we'll make a pitstop at Full Oregon and try to go from there

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Baylor apparently has cardboard cutouts with some of the new uniforms we're getting next year up at Junior Day today.

Picture quality ain't great, but it gives you an idea. I could get behind this as an away game uni - the green shoulder-claws look way way way better to me than the piss-yellow we'd been rocking before.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Naaahhh. I like how the green and look with each other. I could see either green-grey-green or the inverse looking really sharp.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sash! posted:

Its a bad uniform because if you covered up the BAYLOR on it, you couldn't tell who it belongs to.

You could say the same about all whites at places like Oregon et all.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

Oklahoma State and Texas Tech are the only 2 Big XII schools without a player receiving an invite.

Does either team even have that many people leaving?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This'll be Baylor's first year having a Spring-rear end Spring Game instead of just an open scrimmage. Having a stadium on campus for the first time in decades will do that, I suppose. I'm excited to see what they do with it. At the very least, I'll be intruiged to see if Jarrett Stidham has any chance of overthrowing Art Briles' love for veteran players and taking over the QB role.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This would obviously be a huge deal for basketball, but would this really change much for CFB? I get the impression that even places that constantly roll in the top-5 classes still usually only play a couple of their freshmen a year.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Thermos H Christ posted:

I'm just going to smugly pretend that Texas fansites aren't every bit as bad as this.

Yep. I like to laugh, but Baylor...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Baylor started Spring practice today. Not a ton of news yet, although Seth Russell appears to reasonably secure as Bryce Petty's replacement at QB. Briles hasn't anointed him just yet, but everyone's talking like it's Seth's job to lose, and considering how highly Briles prizes experience I don't see Chris Johnson or Jarrett Stidham taking over unless one of them absolutely explodes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The NCAA has just ruled a fan-favorite Baylor walk-on RB, Silas Nacita, ineligible to play football because the kid had a 'close family friend' helping him handle living expenses and keeping him off the street. Keep in mind that this kid was a walk-on with a minimum of three guys ahead of him on the depth chart.

https://twitter.com/Salsa_Nacho/status/570621510685036545/photo/1

Baylor fans are pretty upset. Fake Bo Pelini is tweeting at the kid that he hopes the kid will remember this the next time he tries to eat some food.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

I saw this earlier and I hope this is just a matter of bureaucracy. It will probably take six committee meetings and 18 forms filled out in triplicate to grant him an exception but he ought to get one.

If he ends up permanently ineligible something is seriously wrong.

Yeah, the more I read about this the angrier I get. Devonte Fields and DGB can beat the living manshit out of someone and still be playing D1 football within a year, but some ex-homeless kid no one outside of Waco is likely to have even heard of before today gets a roof over his head and he's done for life? gently caress that.

Also, could someone explain to me the difference between Nacita's situation and, say, some Waco kid walking on at Baylor while living with their parents? I don't see a meaningful practical difference there.

Also, I like the Baylor blog's take on this: Clearly what Nacita should have done is sell enough autographs to pay rent, then he'd only lose half a game after a few months of painstaking deliberations.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 25, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

I think it's more that no one person has the authority to grant the exception. There is a process they have to follow.

What he did is technically a benefit and violates the by-laws, so they have to tell the team he is ineligible until they sort it out.

There is a process for restoring his eligibility, but it takes some time.

Like I said before, I hope this is just a matter of the wheels turning in a bureaucracy.

Rumor has it is that they handed the decision down like it was final. That said, rumor.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Korranus posted:

Nacita's not a star player getting ESPN time so they'd throw down the hammer and then bust Baylor for a major violation.

If the NCAA is going to be prick about this here's hoping Baylor at least kicks in an academic scholarship.

He's already got a scholarship - it didn't cover room and board though. Doesn't sound like Nacita's living situation was widely known outside of his teammates. If the NCAA doesn't reconsider, then yeah, I really hope Baylor helps him out with room and board. It'd be the right thing to do, considering his associated with the football team made it a problem to begin with.

Edit: Academic scholarship, I should clarify. Like I've said before, this ruling makes me madder more because it's extremely disingenous of the NCAA to assert that Nacita's situation is worth bringing down the banhammer considering the whole littany of offenses other players have committed with much less punishment.

Edit 2: Wait. What? https://twitter.com/NCAA/status/570666155297382400

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 25, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Korranus posted:

Actually, I think I buy the NCAA's side of the story. I'm thinking someone high up at Baylor (admin, boosters, legislative team, etc) got wind of this kid's situation. Seeing as how Boise State got nailed with a major violation for something kind of similar last year, the athletic department panicked and disposed of Nacita (a walk-on and therefore disposable) to keep the NCAA from even having to pick up the phone.

I hope that's not the case because if it is Baylor would deserve all the embarrassing PR and backpedaling coming to them.

What's making this confusing is that Nacita definitely referred to it as the NCAA's decision. So either the NCAA actually made the decision and is in the middle of a titanic gaffe, or Nacita misunderstood what was going on and Baylor is in the middle of a titanic gaffe - albeit one still rooted in the NCAA's rules.

My head hurts.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DJExile posted:

Per NCAA: "The NCAA did not declare Silas Nacita ineligible and Baylor has not requested a waiver for him."

This tells me it's what Korranus said. Baylor's decision, with their hand basically being forced by the NCAA's rule.

Yeah. I'm not sure how to feel about this situation if this is in fact the case. On the one hand it sucks that Nacita can't play, moreso if the athletic department's just dropping him like a sack of potatoes. On the other hand, in the not-at-all-unlikely event that Baylor only recently caught wind of Nacita's living situation, what do they do then? If they bring it up to the NCAA it's still entirely likely that the NCAA drops Nacita like a sack of potatoes and drops off some sanctions just as a bonus. If they hide it, well, they run the risk of it coming out another way, Nacita again getting dropped like a sack of potatoes and the sanctions hurting worse.

My head hurts.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

School paper's tweeting that Baylor's going to release a fuller statement later today.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

There are also some inconsistencies in his story of how he got from Cornell to Baylor. It smells like a bagman has been involved, but I'll await further information before making that leap.

A bagman for a 4th-string, walk-on RB? And if Baylor pulled some shady poo poo to get him there, why draw attention to him by dumping him like this?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Though there are crazy boosters at every level of college sports, nowhere would a walk-on be given that kind of treatment...

Unless they were secretly trying to save scholarship space and it was getting out :tinfoil:

Seriously though, I feel pretty bad for the kid and hope that things get made right for him, though I'm pretty sure he won't play at Baylor :smith:.

I mean, Nacita's been a fan favorite and he's good for a walk-on, but RB's been one of Baylor's stronger positions for a while now. I'm not so naive as to rule out the possibility that Baylor's cheating, but it doesn't make any sense for them to set out to cheat to get Nacita. I'd sooner believe there was under the table poo poo over Seastrunk or Stidham.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 25, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah. I'm tentatively starting to think that Nacita asked (or, more likely, just received a general briefing) on what benefits were and weren't permissible while he was still sleeping on friends' couches, misunderstood, and wound up accepting an offer he thought was kosher even when it wasn't without double checking with compliance. I mean, again, it doesn't really make sense to paint this as a bagman situation - the kid's a walkon, I don't think he was recruited heavily at all. If we were desperate to have him all we needed to do was offer a football schollie and he would probably have jumped at it. And then, y'know, we would have had him do something besides Special Teams and garbage time running. I really hope they can work out some accomodation, although I'm not sure if one exists or how eager compliance is to search for one.

That said, it's not as though he's lost his Academic Scholarship or his housing, and by all accounts he's a fantastic student who wasn't planning on using the NFL as his way out to begin with, so at the very least he's not hosed for life.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So now Silas Nacita's brother has started a GoFundMe for Nacita's student loans. Even though I thought Nacita had a quality Academic Scholarship and someone providing housing.

I'm not at all sure what to take from this circus.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm really optimistic about Baylor's QB situation - a big shock, I'm sure. Seth Russell was Petty's backup for the past two years, showed promise in a lot of garbage time snaps, and by all accounts sounds like the man to beat for the job this year. Not as big an arm as Petty, but much, much faster and shiftier. I could see us running an offense similar to either what TCU did last year or what we ran when RG3 was around - only I like our supporting cast better than TCU's or RG3-era Baylor's. Backing him are Chris Johnson, a dual-threat guy who hasn't been talked about lately but was very highly recruited a couple years back, and Jarrett Stidham, one of the best QBs in last year's class. I liked Petty a whole lot, but I'm looking forward to seeing what any of these guys can do. No reason to think Briles won't get his yards out of whoever starts.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 5, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I'd be surprised if this was the defining factor in many recruits' decision whether or not to go to OU - especially considering that, at a glance, the institution and larger student body seem to have responded basically as well as they could have.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

Did South Carolina suffer for the confederate flag? Ole Miss for Col' Reb?

To be fair, while those are bad, I'd say they're a step down from "You can hang 'em from a tree, there'll never be a n****r SAE."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Whoops. Forgot that was Ole Miss.

Racism is bad and dumb :saddowns:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I mean yes it's lovely and should be pointed out that OU (and lots of places in general) has a problem with violence against women but that doesn't automatically make their response to this incident not ok.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

If we're talking about National Title Winning Teams You've Never Heard Of, let me just submit to you the majesty of Baylor Equestrian. Bears on Horses, bitch.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 17, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Bryce Petty apparently had a stellar pro day, 77 throws, 69 completions, 5 drops. Really hope he lands somewhere he can do well, sucked watching Washington eat RG3 alive.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just got back from Baylor's Spring Game. It was cozy and wet and nice. LaQuan McGowan, our 400lb tight end caught a pass and nearly murdered the FS for 25 yards, so that was fun. Seth Russell looked pretty good, Chris Johnson looked pretty bad, and Jarrett Stidham looked like a very talented true freshman. Saw some nice things on both ends of the field. Also, a 400lb Tight End caught a pass for 25 yards and was one dropped ball away from having two catches on the day. Baylor is going to have another Sumo Wrestler Touchdown this year, guys. Possibly more than one.

Also, Baylor's DBs got beat for big catches a few times, but at least to my eyes and a few others they seem to be getting their head around to focus on the ball a lot more frequently than they have in the past, which is an encouraging thought.

https://instagram.com/p/0eHV7evB3J/

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 21, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

anne frank fanfic posted:

If the dbs improve well have a chance. I think russell will be pretty good. But it doesnt matter, the only fun victory this year will be killing wvu and if we can steal the tcu game nothing else matters because baylor always loses everything

I know basketball still hurts, but try not to go full despair on me.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pakled posted:

Safeties and defensive touchdowns should subtract points from the team on offense instead of awarding them to the defense :unsmigghh:

Are negative scores allowed in this scheme? Because they should be.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

pillsburysoldier posted:

Anyone have any interesting spring practice news?

Seth Russell is basically guaranteed to be Baylor's next starting QB and Art Briles intends to feature plays that put a 410 pound man in the slot. That's basically it for concrete stuff out of Baylor's Spring. Less concretely the secondary actually looked like it was improving a good deal at Baylor's Spring Game, doing a pretty good job at staying with everyone not named KD Cannon or Corey Coleman and getting a couple of ints and breakups without drawing any flags. Chris Platt and Ishmael Zamora might be the new names to watch at WR. Zamora's very big and very physical, drawing some Josh Gordon comps, while Platt is very very very fast ala Tevin Reese. O-line depth might be a problem if people get injured, but the first team O-line looked very very good.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 22, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Minnesota is gonna torch everybody

Make sure you get TCU while you're at it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Baylor gonna go undefeated. For realsies this time.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hearing that Baker Mayfield is apparently making a name for himself in OU's spring practices. This is intruiging and potentially going to end hilariously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It would be really amusing to me if OU went two years in a row with a hyped up piece of new hotness coming in at QB only to throw a series of soul-crunching interceptions. With how much they keep changing identities on one side of the ball or the other plus their quarterback woes, they're beginning to remind me of Late Brown-era Texas.

Edit: Hah, I just noticed how BM waves his arm after stopping as if to say "eh, gently caress it."

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 3, 2015

• Locked thread