Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
For someone who doesn't know anything about film theory or the conventions of filming a movie, the Whole Plate is very interesting because Lindsay explains why. When she explained continuity of action it was a real "ohhhhhh" moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Yardbomb posted:

TJ (Amazing Atheist) had started really drinking the MRA bullshit kool-aid last I saw anything of him as well.

Given how much of an rear end in a top hat he seemed to be, this is no surprise.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Thompsons posted:

It's funny to me because it felt like when Elementary came out there were people being all "ugh a lame AMERICAN version of an English work :rolleyes:" and then BBC's Sherlock ended up being the one that poo poo the bed the hardest.

Elementary turned out to be a really good procedural crime drama :shobon:

Among its positive points: It has a male and female lead who never have a will-they-won't-they which is ridiculously rare for TV. It also takes the source material to heart and has a lot of really odd mysteries.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Alacron posted:

HBomberguy's video reminded me that Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century was a thing, which then reminded me of it's awful theme song.

And if I have to suffer then so should the rest of you.

Oh, it's never left my head. I'm like a goddamn seashell except instead of hearing the sea, if you put your ear to my head you hear "Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Centuraaaaaaay..."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Or somehow get mysteriously wiped from youtube/hidden from searches/thrown into an oubliette/whatever for "offensive content" while actual nazis continue to run free.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

House elf shoe shiners.

God, Fantastic Beasts was a mess.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

business hammocks posted:

Also it's pointless to get angry about technology that doesn't exist and that is not even being developed.

Doesn't exist? Isn't being developed?

Scientists create artificial womb for sheep fetus.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

MiddleOne posted:

Isn't that the movie that had that trailer that completely bizarrely switches its tone half-way in?

EDIT: Haha yes it loving is, everyone should watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd60i3ZnLOE

Holy poo poo that twist. It starts off as a sickening "look at this precious, precocious, perfect boy who helps his weary mother" movie.

I thought the twist was going to be he loving bites it. Honestly, I'm almost tempted to see it, though Henry seems insufferable. The twist does put his insufferability and his mother's reliance on him in a totally different, sinister light.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

BigRed0427 posted:

Guess I gotta watch that devolver digital press conference now.

Is it weird I don't get excited for E3? Like, I'll watch the highlights and what's coming later? No need to watch a live stream of a big budget commercial. That said, "Yay, more XCOM 2 DLC"

No, it's not weird. Most of it's boring.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Bioshock Infinite looked a hellva lot more interesting when it was first shown off, and every demo they showed for a couple of years had all these big, cool ideas that ultimately didn't materialize in the final game, like Elizabeth helping in combat or interacting with the environment in interesting ways. I remember keeping up with the details as they were released, then playing the game and noticing that basically none of them were really there outside of a few scripted scenes and half baked ideas. Oh, and the writing sucked, too, but considering how much of the game that had been showed off in trailers and demos that ended up being scrapped from the main game, I'm not surprised that's the case.

Ghost Trick was 7 years ago. We can at least hope to get one Ghost Trick level game every five years or so, that's not too much to ask.

It seemed liked they must have scrapped two whole games by the time they launched Infinite, with how different the final product was from the gameplay videos.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

An odd point to focus on, I know--but I didn't realize people thought the ending of AI was saccharine. I always thought it was crushingly sad. I was also quite young so I barely knew who Spielberg was and I definitely didn't know who Kubrick was.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Color Gray posted:

I was wondering when RLM was finally going to talk about Hollywood Cop.

Every day ends with a Tums festival!

Of course Jay edited this one.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

MariusLecter posted:

Let god sort em out.

Exactly. God forbid we paint racists with a broad brush.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

kaleidolia posted:

It does have to be multiple clones of Rich Evans vs Alien, though.

Speaking of fetishes, I have to wonder if whoever picked the third movie knew that's what it was.

Probably the most disturbing video they've had on Best of the Worst, with the possible exception of Exploding Varmints.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

cat doter posted:

considering what a total wet fart the force awakens review was, I'm not really hopeful this one will be any good

Given how they wouldn't stop talking about this movie before and after it came out--I'm definitely skipping this too unless I hear that it's really good and somehow they managed to not refight the poo poo from last year.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I appreciate the irony of the Middle-Earth mythos essentially being turned into bland genre fantasy. The cycle is now complete.

A victim of its own success.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

DrVenkman posted:

TotalBiscuit had a Twitter meltdown about HELLBLADE and how the permadeath system is 'Anti consumer', all without having played the game.

Joke's on him.

Hellblade’s permadeath is a bluff.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

IronicDongz posted:

his time in war has made him disillusioned with humanity(and himself due to watching the deaths of his friends), to the point where he would rather see himself as a pig than a human.

fio sees through this illusion at one point prior to him discussing his wartime experiences, as with her insight she sees his true human nature through his facade.
if you've ever heard the derogatory term "war pig" before, that's the reason for why it's specifically a pig rather than another lowly animal(as well as pigs just being something easily understandable as 'dirty' or less than human). he's filled with guilt for what he was a part of(war), and his appearance is a reflection of how he views himself.

I feel like if you explained this to him, he'd complain that it should have been clear, like he got cursed by a witch or something--or still not get it and again, remark about how they could have shown the real source of the curse.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

END ME SCOOB posted:

The animated series wasn't particularly bad, but was incredibly hobbled by standards and practices. We're talking about a series where the inciting incident for all the superpowers is a full on gang warfare event going even worse than that already implies when the cops decide "this is a good time to test that experimental tear gas on people without any prep whatsoever". Something like 80% of everyone there, cops, bangers, any living being whatsoever, all die on the spot, and the others are mutants of various stripes after. In the comics, Virgil is there because he's sick of being picked on by a dude in school and gets a gun, thinking he'll just take out the dude in the crossfire (before he can't do it when he shows). In the series, he gets pressured into it, someone hands him a gun (he has a hangup about them, because his family lost someone to gun violence! Can't let kids think guns are cool), and the death tolls aren't mentioned, it's just "well everyone mutated".

This is where it begins to diverge. By the time the comic is doing arcs about a character being gay, white supremacists, and touching more than once on gun violence in communities like this, the series has a jive-talking Brainiac and an episode about homeless people where an orphan makes blizzards because she's lonely. I'm not saying "it's not mature enough, the show is too kiddy", but for some material that wrote about and handled real issues with a solid touch, having to take off every rough edge with sandblasting to avoid "sending the wrong message" really crippled the cartoon.

Also there was a crossover episode with Shaq where Virgil is worried about his secret identity (the lamest plot in comics).

And then there's the episode in which Lil Romeo guest stars and at the end he inexplicably has superpowers that they never mentioned before nor comment on after. It confused the gently caress outta me when I was watching the show.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I'll have to say--when I read "Gummy Bear Movie", this was neither the first nor the second thing that came to mind.

I never liked these videos. They always either irritated or unsettled me, even when I was in what amounted to the target age group for them.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

I Before E posted:

So the Down The Rabbit Hole guy has a follow up video about the Empress Theresa book that involves an essay on how Joan of Arc actually died of heatstroke.

I mean, that's one way to put it :flame:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Mr.Radar posted:

Down The Rabbit Hole goes down the rabbit hole of bizarre YouTube videos aimed at young children:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NceTdz8KlYU

Yeah, young kids' youtube is a genuinely unsettling place. If there's such thing as an uncanny valley for early childhood video entertainment, people have found it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Doing what-if stories would help separate them from the pack. Their grim and dim thing right now isn't great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

business hammocks posted:

Allison’s new Baywatching is great. It’s all trivia, and god drat the cast are fascinating people, mostly in a good way.

Honestly, the trivia is generally my favorite part of each episode, since everything surrounding Baywatch seems more interesting than the show itself.

I'm reminded immediately of Dashcon.

• Locked thread