Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Puppy Time posted:

I feel like Nick is just kind of dumb and his threshold for "good youtube horror" is "exists." Dude's great at introducing and summarizing stuff, but jesus christ he is the worst at analysis and criticism.

Also the horror short he had on his last candy bowl video was just awful.

That's kind of a shame. I thought his stuff for BEN was a great summary and coverage of the whole thing but for whatever reason I haven't watched much of his other stuff. Besides BEN does he have anything worth watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Deport The Irish posted:

This is cool and good. I'll be interested to see what Hbomb thinks of DS3 when he gets around to playing it. The game was good, but to me it felt like it was constantly screaming "HEY KIDS REMEMBER THIS poo poo YOU LIKED FROM THE FIRST GAME!? IT'S BAAAAACK!"

If you listen to podcasts at all Bonfireside Chat is just about done with the main game of DS3 and they've basically been saying that the entire time. Mechanically the game is extremely good (aside from the poise nonsense) but it's leaning way too hard on callbacks all around.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Yardbomb posted:

2 makes me very happy because fist weapons and other niche little killtoys got to be fun and good for once.

I do genuinely really like 2 since it seemed a bit more willing to experiment. Mechanically Demons Souls and Dark Souls 1 and 3 feel mechanically quite similar. That's not a bad thing but 2 had stuff like power stancing, the torch (even if it was more or less useless), extremely diverse DLC, breakable chests, soul memory, weapon durability repairing at bonfires, etc to name some of the big and small things as well as the good and bad. DS3 feels very safe overall and it's still a drat fine game but, as I said, it's kind of safe compared to DS2 or Bloodborne.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

poparena posted:

Wednesday's video is on Brigadier Gerard, the thing Arthur Conan Doyle REALLY wanted to write, not this Sherlock Holmes crap.

Not had a chance to watch the video yet but I had always heard that when Sherlock and Moriarty went off the waterfall that was him wanting to be done with the character but fan outcry, even back then, was so strong he basically had to bring him back.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 17, 2016

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
LOOK gently caress YOU ALL SEE THIS poo poo

i WAS THE FIRST SO SUCK IT.

(Also Hbomb. I love and hate you. Keep it up)

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

I Before E posted:

Golden One looks like if Chris Jericho was a Nazi.

I had a miserable awful day and this gave me a hearty loving laugh. Thank you.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Terrible Opinions posted:

Making Zarya the only lesbian would be a significantly worse bit of stereotyping and awkwardness though.

I was expecting Zarya to be lesbian or possibly Sombra but it being Tracer is definitely out of left-field in a good way. Am curious though if they're gonna make any of the male characters bi/gay at some point.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

OldMemes posted:

For me, Star Wars has always been about the characters - not the ten billion EU characters, but the main ones. I mean, there's lots of great fun stuff in the original films, but we get to like Luke as he grows from frustrated farm boy to hero, or Han as he grows from selfish hustler to a rogue with a heart of gold. That's what TFA nailed - Finn, Rey and Poe are likable characters and enjoyed watching their adventures and I'm interested in seeing what happens to them next in Episode 8. The prequel films had dull characters who had no personality, aside from being annoying or angry.

For about the hundredth time in this thread alonethat's why KOTOR II is still so good. The plot is fine and solid except the ending literally being non-existent but its all the characters that really, really drive it. Pretty much everyone, even T3, has a shitload of personality and are wonderful to interact with and get to know better. Though it's par for the course that Obsidian would write some of the best characters ever in any game.

And like you said, it's the characters that have always driven Star Wars. I sort of agree with them too about the action in IV, V and VI being the least memorable stuff. I always remember Old Ben and how he talked with reverence about Anakin, the wonderful and fun romance with Leia and Han in ESB and the lightsabers honestly being the least important part of the duel between Vader and Luke in RotJ, all their character dynamics plus the Emperor trying to pull the strings, Anakin's redemption, etc.

OldMemes posted:

Rogue One looked pretty, and the third act was really good with the battle stuff, but the characters weren't interesting. We were given reasons and character moments to care about Rey, what was Jyn's character? What made her team special? They weren't a ragtag group of colourful misfits, they felt like faceless random people shoved together. It's a shame, because it was a really well made film with a great cast, but it felt filler-y and I found myself not caring that much until the final act.

If you haven't watched it Star Wars Rebels does an excellent job with characters too. Sort of usual fare for Star Wars stuff but it's a really drat solid show.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jack Gladney posted:

I had to see it in 3D, which mutes the color and puts a haze on everything. With that look the cg Cushing looked pretty good. I was confused into shock for a moment seeing him turn around. Politically speaking, I'm not too thrilled about hollywood being able to make credible-looking puppets out of the dead. I love Peter Cushing. I don't want some MBA scum driving him around.

Carrie Fisher still looked like poo poo.

God. At least it wasn't young P. Stew from the bad Wolverine movie. That was creepy as poo poo. (might be off but I -think- that's where they did some strange de-aged bullshit?)

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

It' a running joke in response to one particularly bombastic angry comment to his Uncharted review. He gave it the same score he had previously given to one of the okay recent Sonic games and so the commenter went on for a big about how that made them the same game in Jim's eyes.

Something people gave Jim poo poo for YEARS was that he didn't care for Mario Kart 7 as much as other critics (7/10 I think?) and thought Vanquish was mediocre but he loved Modern Warfare 3. It was amusing to see every goddamn article he posted on Destructoid have the same comments trying to invalidate his opinion because he gave X game Y score therefore he's wrong forever.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Beefstew posted:

The only big blockbuster movie villain in the past decade that's better than Kylo Ren is Immortan Joe.

Quoting this because it's absurdly true.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

cat doter posted:

as good as both those villains are, it has been a historically lovely time for villains imo, most of them these days are just a white dude that had something happen in his past and now he's massively over-reacting

Well the thing about Immortan Joe that's great is that he's basically an embodiment of the patriarchy down to a T, even having other men under him not realizing they're simply his lapdogs. And in the end they just about literally tear him down and Furiosa and the other battle grannies that survived get taken up on an elevator as the masses cheer. Without hyperbole Fury Road is probably one of the best, and if not best, most accessible feminist movies ever made.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

TheMaestroso posted:

Thaaaat's not quite what's happening, but close. He's punching the wound in his side that Chewie gave him on the bridge. He's dulling the pain or possibly using his pain to psych himself up. Maybe he thinks that's how the dark side works?

It's kind of a big point that his gran-pappy was in constant pain all the time so maybe Snoke told him he needs pain to truly connect with the dark side?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Beefstew posted:

The last fight of The Force Awakens is brilliant. Definitely the second-best lightsaber fight in series (both for the visual and narrative elements), after Return of Jedi's.

I know RotJ gets a lot of poo poo but the stuff with Luke, Vader and Palpy is just so, so, SO loving good. I forgot who said it, and I don't think it was RLM actually, but the least important part of a lightsaber fight is the actual lightsabers. It's when there's actual emotion to the fight. Vader and Old Ben kinda awkwardly swinging is great because they were old friends and one of them is legit an old man and the other is some hosed up guy in a robot suit.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

KayTee posted:

As riveting as all that is, I personally am just waiting for Jim (loving) Sterling (Son) to release his to 10 shittiest games of 2016. Out of boredom I tracked down the countdowns for the last 5 years too, just for ~~memories~~.

Here they are:

2010 - https://youtu.be/Z-eHJ-XmOZM
2011 - https://youtu.be/ID_X2tYMO40
2012 - https://youtu.be/enr-lONBrco
2013 - https://youtu.be/3UqjqzFHY3g
2014 - https://youtu.be/o_O4K5HQtgo
2015 - https://youtu.be/8nd6I9W_z6Y

Interesting note - the 2011 list also demonstrates why Jim wears a hat all the time now.

I only started following Jim properly once the Digital Homicide Saga first hit and following that has been tremendous fun ever since.

Here's a playlist recapping that too - https://youtu.be/VfI7pAaOH9c?list=PLaJT5iRDit90kzBd5xdv98GE7jXKZwg5u

I personally think that DigiHom will fade into obscurity in 2017 after their current lawsuit peters out into nothingness. Which is ashame - I do want to see more temper tantrums and more dumb arguments from them if only to provide a small glimmer of entertainment in the bleak future year of 2017.

Part of me wants to just nominate Steam as worst game of the year. I think Sterling said they 60% of all games on Steam were released this year and it's making the Wii pale in comparison with the heaps of poo poo and shovelware on the platform now.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Hey good to see your video is back up, hbomb. Besides The Golden One has anyone else ever tried to strike you for covering them? With that huge kerfuffle that happened with Jordan and Davis I figured one of them would have come after you.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I know I mentioned it earlier but I think that Greenlight as a whole, or maybe Steam and Early Access, should just have gotten the nomination for shittiest game of the year. Its stretching the meaning and yeah, there's good stuff in there, but there's such a monumental and ever growing pile of, in Sterling's own words, "toys full of cum" that are stocking the shelves that it's getting absurd.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwYLTJelJ0k

Pretty interesting list, hbomb man. Videoball looks cool and all but when you mentioned Tim Rogers made it that was just about instant repellent. I've found everything he's written unbelievably pretentious and condescending and really loathe the idea of giving the guy money.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Tim Rodgers is how I imagine almost every person on this forum that posts big old paragraphs about Videogames or movies

You really don't have to imagine if you look at certain posters :v:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Has Tim Rogers ever done an article with a word count under fifty loving thousand?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Hey, Hbomb. Do you need to do the FIFTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS! meme again?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdcQDmspjTg

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

nine-gear crow posted:

...Did he blow $15k in Patreon money on a high speed camera? The gently caress's he going to use it for? Filming himself screaming about Anita Sarkeesian at 1000FPS? :raise:

Within the FIRST MINUTE he bitches about Anita so probably.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jimbot posted:

I bet this guy loving loved Idiocracy. Man, I hated that film. For what jokes it had were just ruined by it having a disgusting message.

Idiocracy had a good first five minutes or so comparing the rich and poor family. Which total bullshit in terms of any sort of statistics it worked as a decent SNL length sketch. The rest of the movie was just really forced and awful, worst of all giving smug assholes free reign to say "See! Basically a documentary!"

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Cyron posted:

it funny how this thread think everyone who play video games is a nazi to the point that they have a virus that turn people near them into nazis, when we talk about how Jim sterling is loving great.

It's good to know that even after not reading this thread for a few months your posts are still as incomprehensible as ever.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

financially racist posted:

i swear to god homophobes think about gay sex more often than gay people do

I got into a fight with someone like that one time. Older guy, conservative to the point of being a sociopath. He started complaining that the thought of two guys going at it makes him sick. I ask him what his problem with me is (gay/bi myself) and he just goes to the usual talking points of it's against religion (he doesn't go to church), it's wrong, etc. I just tell him he talks more about gay sex than I do, though it didn't stick at all. Funny enough the guy who my aunt is seeing, a somewhat orthodox Jew (it's complicated), told me later "The only reason he should care about who you're loving is if you're sleeping with his wife" which amused me greatly.

The guy who laid into me for being gay is the sort that is so homophobic that he's the first one you'd expect to find out that he was playing footsie with some other man in the bathroom or whatevs :v:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

I am impressed that the dildo bat has lasted this long. It's showing a bit of wear and tear but I would have thought it'd have broken by now.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Puppy Time posted:

I think about that every time I see some motherfucker whining about censorship and free speech because people didn't take kindly to their words. You wanna talk spoiled millennials, it's that poo poo.

Honestly I wish we would just ban the word censorship because just about nobody who rattles their saber about it knows what the gently caress it means
yes that's :thejoke:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Thompsons posted:

Well it wouldn't be the first time he got shot down by someone he admired.

Sort of unrelated but didn't Neil have a huge meltdown banme? I think his name on here was Trapezoid. I've done a little digging and I can't seem to dig it up.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Sarcopenia posted:

It is possible to enjoy a movie without obsessively trying to compare it to the human condition.

You're saying this on a forum where SuperMechaGodzilla exists.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mad Lupine posted:

If it sucks, I'll donate the money to Doctors without borders or something that infuriates racists.

I know you might think you're slightly joking but...
(apologies for the Reddit/KiA links)
https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/5mt6d7/socjus_agdq_bans_attendee_for_not_wearing_a_maga/?st=j0snf8i8&sh=9a2c4eee
https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/59bw5p/ethics_why_i_dont_support_games_done_quick/?st=j0snfbly&sh=5bef1dab
https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2riikq/mike_uyama_organiser_of_agdq_is_currently_under/?st=j0snfe2a&sh=582e1c55

So I'd say donate during a GDQ marathon to doubly piss them off.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

I appreciate that if only as proof that literally anyone can change.

I've mentioned it before but Jim Sterling used to say some incredibly lovely things. I know he used to even use the phrase femanazi without any irony and just be a really hostile rear end in a top hat so yeah, given time people can definitely change. I mean, not to dig up the past too far, even look at one of his old tweets.
https://twitter.com/jimsterling/status/32778877818372096?lang=en

Now a lot of GG folks think he's an SJW cuck -insert other buzzwords here-.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50LgwCJf4Ek

It's nice to see Jack and Rich actually thoroughly enjoy a game again for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

cosmically_cosmic posted:

The game is usually a bit more subtle than that. Also Kreia is the best (non)Jedi Master in all of star wars :colbert:

I'd say she's one of the best characters in any game, really. It helps that Chris Avellone isn't a fan of the force and sort of used her as a mouthpiece to do something different with the Star Wars setting for once. I do love a lot of Star Wars stuff and the EU included but even the good stuff is generally pretty formulaic good vs evil but KOTOR II really did a lot to turn that on its head.

• Locked thread