Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

I'd forgotten about Devon, that Cronje bowled dismissal was magic, half on the front foot defending with only middle stump rocking back. And then Richie Benaud at the end of the video :smith:

Byolante posted:

Boycott was right, just bowl yorkers on the stumps

As my old captain used to say "just bowl at the fuckin' pegs".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Dysgenesis posted:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/32376031

A guy scores 350 off 138 balls. Team wins 1 day match by 500 runs.

If you check out the ground on google maps the straight boundaries look shorter than the length of a pitch. I know people with bigger backyards.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Nantwich+Cricket+Club/@53.077476,-2.509299,170m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x8a979dc717aa9231

Closer to 40 I would think.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

RideTheSpiral posted:

Have to include the length of the pitch in a drive!

A summer of The Big Show made me forget.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

IceAgeComing posted:

why was that man wearing a kfc bucket on his head

Massive Big Bash fan.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

I hope Carberry comes back tbh. All the Aussies were scared of him.

It still puzzles me why he and KP were made the scapegoats from that series.
(I do know why, but logically it never made sense).

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Did you bowl within yourself?
Never. I can't. I am an outlaw.

Great read.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Did they just mow the outfield to make a pitch?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

IceAgeComing posted:

they're using the scottish method of pitch creation

I've played on a few of those Scottish wickets, helmets not required.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

IceAgeComing posted:

gilchrist was the only good person in that australian team

If the scuttlebutt is true, he was especially good to the ladies :wiggle:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Plus the U.S. didn't miss out on hosting the Cricket World Cup due to corruption.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Airstream Driver posted:

The ball will be poo poo.

I've played 20/20 club games with those pink kookaburra balls and they are flat out terrible. The wear in a really weird non-good way and the seam gets mashed into nothing very quickly, I'd hate to be bowling the 80th over of an innings with it.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

goatface posted:

Isn't it something to do with the colouring process for lighter colours softening the leather?

Pretty much this, the tanning/colouring process ends up with something feeling closer to a soft plastic coated leather rather than just plain leather. By the looks of things acrylics and dyes are used to get the colouring done.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Does anyone here know how to get the ABC Grandstand commentary when you live overseas? I've tried it before and it says that it is unavaillable in my area.

Try this one, I've had it work for me on my phone many times when ABC radio should have been blocked:
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/cricket/live-streaming/

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The English jumpers are flat out awful.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Seams posted:

This Warne fellow sounds a bit shite.

Warne's RPO is 2.66 while Johnson's is 3.27, not as bad as I thought it would be.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Unimpressed posted:

Nah, it'll be a KFC SMS poll.

Dirty Rotten to be named captain.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Clarke doing some square leg catching practice, looks like his back is buggered.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Negligent posted:

A ship in the harbour is safe but that's not what ships are built for :itwaspoo:

loving hate that ad.

Good thing Lee and Warne are talking about the slope at Lords, never heard anything about that before.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

runoverbobby posted:

I understand the sentiment but still think the follow-on is a better means because it gives the opportunity to win by an innings.

The problem always with a follow-on is making your quicks bowl for two+ days, and unless you've got a top class spinner in your side you're just asking for trouble.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Why the hell is Dharmasena further back than Ballance?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Burn Down Canberra posted:

In NSW (the state that produces the most Australian cricketers) its seen as a bit of a disadvantage for talented young cricketers to go to private schools. That is because it takes them away from playing against adults on Saturday.

The private schools have produced only a handful of test batsmen. the GPS schools which is an elite school sporting competition has produced 130 wallabies (rugby union) and only ten test cricketers.

Steve Smith, Michael Clarke, David Warner, Brad Haddin and Mitchell Starc all went to state schools. I can't find what high school Josh Hazlewood went to for the record but he was playing for NSW by 17 anyway.

the other states its not such a disadvantage because they have shorter seasons for the school or play on another day allowing the kid to play grade cricket.

Growing up in WA school cricket was basically a hit and giggle, while on the weekends you'd have club cricket on one day, and the best players played junior district cricket on the other. In addition the strongest junior players would also play senior district/club cricket on a Saturday arvo.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Whilst you are pushing the "kids need to play grade cricket rather than age-group/school cricket" barrow pretty hard there is a little truth in it.

If you are playing for your school, you have 1 coach, who probably fawns over you coz you are the talented one in your school. You learn no toughness, and not much competitive desire.

If you are playing for a club at that age, you have to make your way from the 3rds to the 2nds to the 1sts, at every level proving yourself better than fat bitter politicing arseholes who will do their best to hold you down. Also you come in to contact with more than one coach, and more than one coach who isn't fellating you coz you are the golden boy.

Take this a level higher and you have players like Hussey, and Rogers, who have worked their ways up in several leagues under severl coaches in several different conditions. You don't get to do this if you are playing on your own school oval versus kids who are clearly not as good as you, (which if you are a test/FC prospect you will be better than most people on the ground).

I think the big problem with school cricket (esp in WA) is that most schools aren't big enough to have 11-12 guys who are all good at cricket in the same year level and then to have a phys-ed teacher who's got the skills and time to coach a school team.

For example all the Hussey's went to my high school in Perth, but they played at my local junior club as well as the local district team, so they had a number of skilled coaches helping them develop all the way along, and didn't have to worry about getting a decent hit with the school side.

Dave Hussey "coached" our school team for a while and just encouraged us to bowl the other team out as fast as possible so he could get home and watch sport wrap-up on the Channel 10 news.

Spedman fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 21, 2015

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I would think as they age getting bowled and LBW will become big issues for them quite quickly as they start to lose that amazing hand-eye coordination.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Good take by the keeper, action a bit suspect though.

(Shamelessly stolen from the mlb gif thread)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

And it bears a striking resemblance to the Maxwell leave

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Slater saying after watching that Clarke abomination "he's just not playing with any luck"

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah, if he was lucky he'd have decided to retire after the last ashes series and people wouldn't remember him as a cripple that cant bat.

You could see that's what Vaughan was thinking

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

EMC posted:

The funnier quote in that article is

That's was some of the dumbest poo poo I've read in a long time. How about you leave nearly everything and make them bowl to you when they've got their tails up, not flash and slash at anything outside off, you loving peanut.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

The other problem is our pitches are pretty one dimensional and I think after today if a review doesn't recommend converting half the decks in the country into raging greentops like Trent Bridge then CA is pretty much incapable of learning anything.

You just need to put the character back into the Australian Test pitches, it might be hard with drop-in's due to the AFL, but I'm pretty sure they'd be able to work something out with enough time and motivation.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

notaspy posted:

As its the wicketkeepers fault for not being in the right place to save them

If its not a wide then they should be in position to take it

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Drugs posted:

It's not impossible for a ball to be close enough to the batsman to not be a wide, but too wide for the wicketkeeper to reach. Particularly if the bowler is bowling around the wicket.

If the bowler is coming round the wicket you'd hope the keeper has positioned himself accordingly, but the exception being a marginal leg-side wide call swinging further I guess.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Drugs posted:

Steve Waugh was a serial cheat. Is cheating part of what it means to wear the baggy green?

He's an Australian who played sport right?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Healy was VC for a long time too wasn't he?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Or just play 10 bowlers and a keeper.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I'm enjoying the extended pauses in the commentary to go with the slow batting, test cricket, best cricket.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Here we go, Buchanan hate...

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I wish Steve Smith would stop bitting his nails, its loving gross to watch.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Scylo posted:

We may as well learn to love Warne because we're all going to be putting up with him for at least the next 20 years

Hopefully his life choices don't make it last that long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Broad snype