Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

My knight was super pious and would refuse to use the brothel or the tavern to relieve stress, he would only pray at church. So I took him to the sanitarium and paid tons of money to have him re-educated and now he loves banging ladies after a romp through the darkness. GOTY 2015.

holy gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Really wished I had backed it now :(

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so every stream I've watched, they walk into two rooms and are at 100 stress

how are you supposed to get through these dungeons below 100 stress?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im in support of dicking over early access backers of anything for any reason so im glad of it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

victrix posted:

Yeah gently caress those guys who funded the game I'm playing :downs:

entitled early access people suck poo poo so i unironically agree with you

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I hate to keep flogging my guide but read my guide.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=385431020

You're almost certainly making basic strategic errors without realizing it. The game is (mostly) fair, it's just very unforgiving and doesn't hold your hand the way most modern games do.

On the other hand if you have read the guide and are still having problems please let me know so I can fix my guide!

excellent guide, thank you

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah, I got critted 3 times in a row on my leper which caused a mood spiral & everyone's resolve being tested one after another and two of them went paranoid which is my least favorite mood by far

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Funnypost Collabo posted:

Two highwaymen rotating Point Blank Shot in the first two positions makes this game too easy. Give one of them a speed trinket and make sure he's always at the front of your party before combat so that he goes before the other one. Point Blank Shot does a ton of damage and moves you back one position, so this is kind of like the Crusader Holy Lance party except it does way more damage because Point Blank Shot has a 50% damage bonus. My two Highwaymen are doing 11-35 damage per turn each. It's the hardest hitting attack in the game and the only downside is that it can only hit the front-row enemy, meaning you'd have to switch them to their dashing attack instead for bosses (which is still a great attack).

combine this with an occultist and vestal and I'd say you have a great combo

vestal for some group healing, occultist to pull enemies up front/stun the back two when needed, then the two highwaymen doing what you just described

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

New trollpinion: leper is the worst class.

Argument:

1) all classes are good, it's only relatively bad.

2) It can't hit the back rows.

3) It can't reposition itself without losing an action.

4) it's highly dependent on support classes for accuracy buffs.

5) it has no secondary utility role. It can't heal like the crusader or stun like the hellion.

Obviously I'm trolling a little here but honestly it does seem like the leper needs a little more versatility.

6) it does have a two target aoe but compare with grapeshot or breakthrough; again, cant hit the back rows.

At the very least he is one of the least interesting classes as far as ways to use him

he pretty much can attack one target in the front, two targets in the front, and be tanky with a self heal

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I love the actual concept of the leper, but compare him to the bounty hunter or hellion

the hellion can attack up front, do a grapeshot-esque attack, hit the 4th slot with a direct attack, boost her damage, etc

i actually think the hellion is my favorite class when you have a spot in your party but no real plans on what to use, very versatile

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Internet Kraken posted:

So I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but I've got a mechanics problem. I finished the tutorial but my Crusader survived with 1 HP. Now he's whining like a baby about having to go back out and I'm worried if I bring him along he's gonna gently caress everything up. I can't see any way to just leave him in town though. Do I have to bring 4 for the first dungeon and just hope for the best?

depending on what traits he has picked up and stuff, those characters can gently caress things up, but no, you don't have to use him

there should be a hero cart that will have enough to let you swap him out with someone else

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

paranoid randroid posted:

The estate caretaker had given me $300 in gold, most of which was already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. Our packs looked like mobile alchemical labs. We had two bags of blinding powder, seventy-five sachets of blight toxin, five phials of high-powered experimental vapors, a salt shaker half full of invigorating powder, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored clotting agents, antivenoms, screamers, laughers and also a quart of gin, a quart of rum, a keg of ale, a pint of laudanum and two dozen wormwood pellets. Not that we needed all that for the expedition, but once you get locked into a serious drug-collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

The only thing that really worried me was the laudanum. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an opium binge. And I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

i didnt know the people in TCC were featured in this game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
just remember, when you take laudanum you want to go for harm reduction

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

paranoid randroid posted:

No more of that talk or I'll put the loving leeches on you, understand?
                                        /

the dialogue in darkest dungeons is also really good

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Notorious QIG posted:

Mortality status: Clarified

is no more than one strike, even

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

babypolis posted:

What I really like about this being early access is that they have the hardest parts of a good game down already. A cool and interesting theme, a solid engine, and interesting core mechanics are already in the game. Fine tuning the balance, adding more enemy and trap variety, more traits and interactions and stuff to care about your dudes should be completely doable in 6 months. It's the first EA game where I can see how they can turn this into a trully excellent game in a reasonable time frame

:agreed:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i love arguing about roguelikes and roguelike culture

im also a big fat dumb loving moron

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
marking is really good against high HP enemies especially bosses

basically anything that can take more than 2-3 attacks its worth it to mark

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Teslavi posted:

Massive plague doctor buffs; their blight damage now starts at 3dmg/turn and ends at 5dmg/turn. Battlefield medicine has a heal attached to it now (2-3 at level 4). Also grave robbers get a +acc buff with thrown dagger and poison dart.

patch of the forever

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
iron swan position 1
breakthru cooldown

rip!!!!!!!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

After the King is dead, Wilbur attempts to chain-stun your party forever.

If you are very, very unlucky or have taken a lot of damage, he can kill people as a result.

he killed my hellion lmfao

:negative:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RightClickSaveAs posted:

It does seem to, I would assume also that the penalty won't apply as long as you use at least one damaging attack, even if it misses or is dodged. My guys are all too good to miss or be dodged, so I wasn't able to test it out that thoroughly :cool:

Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i actually would like a fast travel back to 'X' room option or something like that

it doesn't add anything to gameplay to walk down multiple hallways

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also corpses are stupid

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Highwang posted:

but it adds to the overall experience.

it doesnt actually

i have never lost a run or been unprepared for it because i know if im on a medium dungeon i have to buy more than i probably ought to because im going to pick a route and have to walk across like 6 screens of nothing to get back to playing a video game

the game is fun as gently caress but that part is boring

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bad Seafood posted:

Darkest Dungeon's RNG is no better or worse than any other RPG's RNG, it's just that the results are more important. If you had the sort of exponential stat gain most RPGs feature nobody would be complaining about it.

I respect the devs for recognizing that sometimes smaller numbers are better than bigger ones.

I think the RNG may be better than others only because if you are willing to accept that something is doomed or a bad situation you can just get out of there pretty reliably

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Boy I was dumb. I didn't have a good non stressed team comp, so I took a couple people at or around 100 and a couple around 60. Things went okay till the last fight. By then I was like, gently caress it I'm finishing it. They had lots of monsters capable of causing stress and critting me. I'm missing. My guys freak out and start stressing each other. I keep trying to finish the off and I miss over and over. All 4 had a heart attack one after the other

Lmao

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Night10194 posted:

This is like the absolute number 1 killer of adventurers, right here.

yea

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

im loving furious that he's using lepers

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
he is a Darkest Dungeon thread leper, for using lepers

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fargom posted:

Eonwe being in this thread has increased the quality by 100%.

PARRRRRP

hi

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im getting back into this game

its good

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how is the new expansion

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if nobody else volunteers id like to be a hellion :twisted:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Internet Kraken posted:

-rabid dog makes Flagellant bleed
-Blighted giant crits Flagellant with a tree for full HP (of course)
-blood tick kills Flagellant

Yeah okay game, just gently caress my poo poo up.

rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smith Comma John posted:

the relationship interactions happen at least 3x too often, IMO

if you get hateful it basically happens every single turn