Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I'm watching a streamer play this, tehmorag, hes not good at videogames (and is honest about that!) but hes a fun watch and his little gathering isn't as toxic as far as some others i've seen on twitch.

Needless to say, hot drat do i wish i'd kicked this. The art is great and the quirks are a fun looking mechanic. :allears: I'll be throwing money at them come Tuesday for sure.

E: Oh man, and the narrator! The narrator is great!

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Watching that streamer from yesterday, apparently this:

is a thing. I hope its actually ingame somewhere, just... innocently. :allears:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

cyanidewolf posted:

Where is your god now, Hag?

Oh my, thats just magical. :allears:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Remember with darkest dungeon: You are NOT a friend to your heroes! You are a ruthless bastard of a football coach and you will run them into the ground, then toss them aside like the spent husks they are.

Keep the ones that prove themselves until they too prove to be more work then reward.

E: Or as someone just put it to me; "John Madden's Cthulhu Manager."

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 7, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Speedball posted:

Rabies from a book? drat. Sometimes you eat a good book, sometimes the book eats you.

I prefer to imagine it was a book on rabies, and the person who read it was/is a hypochondriac! :haw:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I'd like it to be something more then just "YOU LOOSE." state. Maybe some kind of nigh-immortal antagonist launches herself against your staging ground and you need to fight her off tooth and nail to survive?

Basically, think XCOM's base defence (any of them really), an army of cultists at her command, clearing out each of the town's points of interest with a big battle with the cult leader and all of her eldritch might at the end. Hell, it could just be her attacking you single-handedly.

But killing her is not the end, and she mockingly retreats to her part of the Darkest Dungeon to reform and recover her powers.

Gameplay wise, a bar representing the passage of time, which gets set back by beating her but only by so much. Say if she attacks in week 7, beating her puts that back to week 3. Could also make sure she doesn't attack until a certain amount of time has passed, and give the player early warning when her attack is imminent.

Killing her properly could be the prelude to the finale too, which'd cap her off nicely, but sit with a thumb up your arse for long enough and she'll grow strong enough to wipe the floor with your heroes and obliterate the town.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Snow Job posted:

Bleh, don't like the sound of this. They avoided putting in wizards and druids, but an overtly evil/monstrous class honestly sounds like a much bigger breach of the setting. Gotta do what the idiot who donated $5,000 says I guess!

I hope its something on the lines of an Eldritch-caused Leper. A "Physical" Occultist if you will.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

dogstile posted:

If I ever get a load of cash i'm just going to put unicorns in everyones totally serious and grimdark game. Abomination sounds pretty within the games universe anyway, most of my guys end up practically being one with all the mental defects they acquire.

Yeah. Considering the existence of things like "Fallout Equestria" I rather suspect you're last to the party with this gimmick. :stonk:

The latter part of that makes me weirdly hope that Abomination ends up becoming the "The more hosed up they are, the stronger they get" hero.

You get rabies on an abomination? Everything is wonderful forever.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Musketeer sounds smug and awesome. So of course she wont win. :sigh:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah the gate seems to open up into some striaght lovecraft horror-city ala R'lyeh.

It'll be interesting to see if the Darkest Dungeon is what leads up to that gate with the gate being the boss fight against some cthulhu monster, or if the darkest dungeon starts at the gate and its about actually crawling through R'lyeh as a dungeon.

I hope its the latter.

I'm expecting the former, because as your heroes shut the door beyond the smoldering corpse of a dying god, on the city that it emerged from, they get a glimpse of the realm beyond and decide that they are never coming back.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I thought you could dig into the configs and disable heroes being sulky about doing low level dungeon runs?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/beaglerush/status/692196218659835905

jesus christ, the little fuckers can do that poo poo?
I hope beagle gets deep into DD and starts streaming it because it is a surprisingly watchable game

The tweet before that sets it up wonderfully, as the same guy decides to stay in the hall "on a winning streak." :allears:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Or just have a third upgrade that's a "headhunter" slot. Upgrading it increases the number of slots that can be reserved on the coach for certain heroes upto a max of 4.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Let us know how the rest of the dungeon goes!

And by, let us know, i meant die horrifically in a nightmare made manifest. :unsmigghh:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Snak posted:

I'm not sure the exact system, but there always seems to be at least one short apprentice level dungeon available.

I thought that was only "apprentice", and not necessarily short AND apprentice?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
No XP sounds fine to me. Running high level dudes in a low level dungeon is only worth it for the upgrade tokens, because you're just wasting XP that's desperately needed to make your crew less brittle and in the case of new game+, loosing precious time to win.

Might suck out some of the tedium of the midgame grind too, since it means you can just slam the low level dungeons for tokens. Then get murdered in higher level ones when bad habits set in... :unsmigghh:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Night10194 posted:

This is why I stopped playing early when I saw they were still making big changes and waited for release once I knew I was interested.

Same. Hit about week 40 in EA and went "Game is good, lets wait for release."

Soothing Vapors posted:

its important to remember that these nightmarish creatures can be felled. they can be beaten

"Ghoulish horrors, brought low and driven into the mud!"

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
:smith:

Its okay, his faithful companion isn't a beast, it is a loyal friend. One that the houndmaster would gladly take blows for. :unsmith:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

ZypherIM posted:

Hey you're the one that ate the last 4 food. Taking a calculated risk and it not working out isn't bullshit rng man.

It would be nice to have a hunger bar tho, one influenced by eating before being prompted (but tracking who eats so stuffing one person to full doesn't count for a full party feast), not a perfect one either, it can be an estimated thing just to screw with the player some.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Too many loss.png's made me double check this before getting it.

:sigh:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Gabriel Pope posted:

I get the impression that most of his various crimes were committed before he made the discovery in the Darkest Dungeon. The Prophet narrative implies that he knew what he was getting into by the end of it, though.

The ending also partly explains the cultists--presumably other people have independently made the same discovery as the Ancestor and came to join Team gently caress This Gay Earth.

Its certainly part of the mythos that Darkest Dungeon drinks from. When faced with something of terrible power, we either try to stop it, laugh in its face, try to get it to love us, go along with it for kicks and giggles or pretend it doesn't exist until far too late.

E: I guess there's also the "harness it for my own usage" reaction too, but that thought might be coming from all the reading of The Expanse I've done lately.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 2, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

:perfect:

Truly the greatest use of googly nipples.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Fargin Icehole posted:

For some reason I never thought I'd read fun facts about the occult in here.

I came here for a good, family friendly and wholesome old time! :cry:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Panfilo posted:

Another change that I think would make sense would be to have Zealous Accusation give the targets a debuff that classed them as Unholy. I figure the Crusader is going to be particularly judgemental and it would make sense to accuse his foes of witchcraft. This gives him some synergy with other anti-unholy abilities.

This I like. Reminds me of Age of Wonders 3 and how the Theocrat condemned enemies as Heretics on the global screen before going into battle, giving their Devout units +damage against them.

So how's the modding scene for DD?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I did some tweaking of DD before mod support came in, checking the integrity of the files should 100% clear that stuff up yeah?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

While I have no idea what this is, I'm always happy to see more games start to appear following Darkest Dungeon's formula.

Iratus hit early access and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Its certainly its own beast but "Darkest Dungeon 1.5 where you're the ancestor instead" is a fun pitch. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
At least they got Wayte to make fun of himself for the bride's design.

"Ah, a design from my... younger years."

(She's incredibly good, holy poo poo the fire arrows and the wrath spender is incredible. I took two against the 1st boss after he stomped my A and B team and loving smoked him)