Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Gyoru posted:

I backed at the $49 tier and just finished playing/streaming it for almost 5 hours. It's fantastic.

I feel like I've stumbled upon a great party comp:

[back to front] Jester, Plague Doctor, Highwayman, Leper.

The Jester's songs buff the party and help relieve stress. Doc can stun the back row and hand out damage buffs. The Leper and Highwayman have great aoe attacks so my strategy is basically to burst everything down and not worry about healing due to the Deaths' Door mechanic.

Another good combo is the Cultist and the Plague Doctor; use the cultist heal (which sometimes causes bleed) if it does use the plague doctor to cure it. On average the skill heals more than others at the first level so it is quite good for single target healing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Gravedigger get out of the loving brothel :argh:

Zaphod42 posted:

Cultist seems really interesting, yeah. He's got lots of abilities for moving the enemy's order around (cthulu tentacles :stare:), and then he's got that weird random heal that sometimes bleeds...

I like his style.

Yeah plus he has that curse mark, which if used with the Bounty Hunter in your party means you don't have to waste 2 turns to use the BH's '2x damage if marked' attack.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

My grave robber went drinking down the pub and went on a bender, she's been missing for 2 weeks now. :ohdear:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

So what item uses have people figured out so far? Holy water seems to work on pagan altars, confession stalls and skull piles. The key works on locked chests (but not the unlocked strongbox) and I've found use of torches for burning the piles of paper and it removes one bad trait for the cost of a torch. Herbal medicines also work on the alchemy bench.

A hellion used a torch on some books and got 84 stress (and then masochist) for feeling guilty about burning knowledge. :v:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I do love how much effort has gone into things such as the dialogue, as when stressed my Plague Doctor became irrational and started screaming about tiny small beings under glass making people sick. :v:

Also man when one guy goes their comments on other party members really ramp up the stress.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Shlapintogan posted:

Okay, yeah, just checked my Leper and he needs some serious time in the sanitarium.

Well he is a Leper :v:

Last 4 recruits were all occultists, so I picked them all and they went out as a full occult team. Tentacles everywhere and flesh warping healing, they did pretty well together although when facing more damaging enemies they were a bit too frail.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Firstborn posted:

I had an awesome moment where my team started to break in morale, but when my Crusader topped off on stress instead of becoming paranoid he exploded into Stalwart (I think it was), and then spent every round knighting his teammates "I dub thee... Warrior of Light!", boosting everyone's stress all over and saying metal as gently caress iceburns to the skeletons we were fighting.

I had the Jester get a good leadership stress one and every now and again he'd go 'I'm not very good at this but TALLY HO!' and reduce the whole party's stress automatically.

Irrational is great (for dialogue at least), the Graverobber talks about going to a dance with fancy dresses whereas the hellion has stuff like <roars like a lion> or <opens mouth then clicks teeth together>.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Apple2o posted:

I dunno; I literally just had my first dungeon run ever ruined by a series of crits that made my plague doctor get masochistic. Next thing I know he's pushing himself to the front every fight and not moving out of the way for the melee characters. Good thing he got killed pretty quick up there.

Sometimes the masochistic ones will just self harm to get their pain fix, even into deaths door and properly killing themselves.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

So taking into consideration any combination of actual effectiveness and aesthetics, what would you guys say is your favourite class?

Weirdly enough mine is probably the Vestal. The gloomy gothic theme is a great placement for a warrior nun, any party which has one of my two good Vestals in it always seems to succeed but mostly I just love the BONG noise when you judge somebody.

Leper, mainly for the aesthetic as their sword and armour is all battered and run down like them. Also when they take hits they just tank it with their chest, plus stuff like campfire skills as Quarantine and Bloody Shroud really fit so well.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Chard posted:

Well, the icon for wyrd heal is some gnarly looking monster stitches. If he's basically sewing your mans' arms and legs back on and getting more aggressive with his experiments, I'd say bleed% increasing makes sense

He using occult/wyrd energies to make the flesh itself regrow and whoops sometimes it goes wrong and just starts bleeding.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think of it less as a firing and more as releasing them from their duties so they can hastily depart the horrible Estate and go somewhere more peaceful :unsmith:

Or providing more hosts for the fungus in the weald.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Something affecting your town then.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

So swinetaurs can charge easier now.

I'm not looking forward to seeing the new tricks the higher tier bosses get.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Speaking of chopping up files, is there anyway to get the sound effects into something usable for message alerts or w/e?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Coolguye posted:

Not easily, they're serialized in some .bank file. Someone would need to write an extractor.

Ack, I'd kill to have my mortality clarified etc as a message tone.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

PD is buffed indirectly:

quote:

DOTs and PROTs: Some monsters now have significant PROT (protection), which means they soak up damage like a Sham-Wow soaks up annoyance at us having to watch how well it soaks up water.
A good example is our longtime friend, the Bone Defender. As if he wasn’t tough enough, he can now take a punch from Dolph Lungren a la Rocky IV.
The good news? Not much!

Oh, actually there is a bit: DOTs (bleed and blight) skip PROT altogether. In fact, some might say that DOTs are in fact the best way to deal with heavily PROT’d enemies. They are not the only way, though.
Stock up on stuns and debuffs to neutralize those enemies while you deal with their friends.
Monster resistances to DOTs have been adjusted—mostly lowered. The double chance penalty of potentially missing a DOT attack and then still getting savaged by resistance was just a bit too harsh. The double chance is still there, but instead of “savaged”, we’d say it now feels more like a “friendly mauling.”
In seriousness, DOTs (esp. blight) were not where we wanted them and the various changes in this update should help boost them up.

I mean she is also buffed directly and stuff like DOTs criting is again great for her.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 15, 2015

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

brocretin posted:

I like how the Steam forums are completely making GBS threads their pants over the corpse mechanic. Apparently a bunch of people couldn't play this game without every enemy steadfastly sauntering towards the front line.

I can only assume all these players just focus fire on the first enemy and wait for the conveyor belt to move forward. There is no way in hell corpses pose a challenge to normal play, I mean with a balanced team you'll have attacks reaching everywhere anyway. You'll occasionally need to clear the field but if you make greater use of DoTs it is few and far between.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Remind yourself overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer. :gitgud:

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 20, 2015

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Any canon tips?

Just pray that you get good rolls, it is an endurance battle so you just gotta keep going and have faith.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I try to keep everyone totally healthy, mentally and physically. I guess I'll ignore minor ones like that they don't drink or what ever. Just the interface is a pain, there has to be a better way than dragging 20+ people every week to check everyone.

Just right click them on the side bar to bring up their stats page rather than drag them into the sanitarium.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Ppppatch!
http://steamcommunity.com/games/262060/announcements/detail/61149626065351897

quote:

maggots: dropped PROT although was sincerely tempted just to call them "Armored Maggots" and be done

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

drat the highwayman one hits you right in the feelings.

Another life wasted in the pursuit of glory and gold.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

It's also come up in game when he had a crisis. He sometimes yells "You have her face! How can you have her face!" so she's probably at least someone he knew.

I think that it more that the woman's face is etched into his mind and when he loses it he just keeps seeing his victim's face everywhere due to the guilt.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Just had an email to personalise a hero.

You can pick name, starting skills, class, colour scheme, 2x positive quirks and 1x negative quirks to start.

Made a Leper with fated as one of the quirks.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Leper with Fated locked in:

1. Visit the Stage Coach
2. Press ENTER, type Braddock, and press ENTER again
3. Your hero will appear in the list of recruitable heroes. Drag them into your roster!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Does anyone have a clip of the narrator's "Slowly, Gently, this is how a life is taken." line?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Haha gently caress you Reynauld you stole some good poo poo earlier this run but you've just tried 3 locked display cabinets and been blighted each time, serves you right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Backer Trinkets are in so have mine:

(Go to your trinket inventory hit enter then type the name.)