Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

endolithic posted:

But if he gets killed horribly does that mean the doggy does too? :(

All dogs go to heaven? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Insurrectionist posted:

I prefer cats

When will Red Hook give me the Catmaster class I so rightly deserve?

Catmaster would just be a dude who lost his cat searching to find it. :cheeky:

Or just like a panther by itself, with no master. That'd be pretty drat cool.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

So is there a reason the Arbalest can't heal the 4th spot? There doesn't seem to be anything in her skill that says you shouldn't be able too. Kind of troublesome when you have a healer that can't actually heal everyone.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but Arbalest's heal only has lit up icons for the front 3 positions. The ability tells you that you can't use it on the back row.

Are you looking for like a lore explanation?

And Arbalest isn't a 'healer' just because she has one heal ability. Darkest Dungeon doesn't have a holy trinity of roles. Being able to heal is still useful or if you don't like that ability, use one of the arbalest's other ones. And even with Arbalest's heal you could still heal everybody as long as you're using moves, or characters who move as part of their actions. Lots of ways to strategize.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Normal Adult Human posted:

You take abreast for blindside snyways

That's a fun freudian slip of a typo :cheeky:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

docbeard posted:

AM I DOING IT RIGHT?

This reminds me of Final Fantasy 1, where you could build your own party composition.

I remember some old website had a rating for different party compositions, like letting you know that "warrior, blackmage, whitemage, thief" was pretty balanced and better than "whitemage, blackmage, whitemage, blackmage" or whatever.

Funny part was each composition had a little picture to quickly show you each party they were reviewing, including the parties of 4 of the same character.

Finally at the very bottom of the page is the party where its just 4 blackbelts, only they used 4 dead blackbelt sprites instead of the normal ones :haw: (because black belts are loving garbage)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Indecisive posted:

Black belts aren't garbage, u r!!! (they just had a weird design where you were supposed to use nunchucks for the first 6-8 levels before going barehanded, and funky armor restrictions, and with the awful UI it was real hard to recognize the problem. Used properly blackbelts were nearly as good as fighters, without the astronomical money investment)

Maybe someone will find the magic trick to make jesters good??

Thing is theif in FF1 was pretty much a strictly better black belt. Or a fighter like you said. The only upside to black belt is that you don't have to buy gear for him, which is pretty weak.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

seriously though they aren't all meant to be effective teams I imagine. It could maybe work if the first Jester uses Solo and Solo is for some reason more effective then I thought, the other two spam bleeds and the Plague Doctor carries the rest of the team, but by and large it exists for the purpose of the joke.

Nah clearly lots of the combos are really really bad, although its cool they gave those names anyways, and kinda funny. Plus now you can pick one of those builds as a sort of challenge run, and then specifically tell people "I'm doing a Comedia run" or something :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pavlov posted:

That doesn't really explain her motivation for arrowing Cthulhu in the face though.

Maybe they were a mob of cthulhu cultists?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Its the 19th! Darkest Dungeon is now out for real! :toot:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Slaapaav posted:

its supposed to come out 1800 gmt

2 hrs left then :dance:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

New post on the kickstarter page

quote:

Darkest Dungeon began as a thought exercise. What would it really be like to battle the horrors so commonly dispatched in the games of our childhood? What would facing down unholy abominations day in and day out do to someone? What good is a glowing Sword of Unholy Slaying +5 in the hands of a blubbering coward?

After a year of discussion over scotches and poker games, we began development full time, and Darkest Dungeon started to take shape. As we worked, we got to know the game - its personality. What it would permit, and what it wouldn't, where it left the beaten path, and where it tended to stay close to its roots. Darkest Dungeon grew up in that second year. It was not friendly, or welcoming; it did not owe you a victory, or suffer fools. It wasn’t fair, like the horror movies and war stories that formed its foundation. It broke game ‘rules’; took control away, kicked you when you were down. It smoked behind the gym with its friends and skipped class.

Underneath all that badassery, though, it challenged you to think differently about heroism, and about the cost of adventuring. It taught you that preparedness was important, but thinking on your feet when the poo poo hits the fan was the true test. And, of course, it reminded you that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer. For all its unyielding focus on what can go wrong in an adventure, it showed why heroism is the only antidote for failed hope.

Prior to our launch in 2015, we talked about Early Access as an experience - a journey that the game and its players would take through the rise and fall of certain strategies, buffs, nerfs, changes, and improvements. What we didn’t expect is to be part of that journey ourselves. There have been exhilarating highs, and terrifying lows, not just for the hundreds of thousands of heroes, but for us on the dev team as well. We’ve often likened the experience of developing Darkest Dungeon to being inside the game, contending with our own stresses, bad bounces and heroic rallies. This game’s development has even seen the full cycle of humanity amongst our own team: births, deaths, and friendships and relationships tested. It’s never been easy It has been indeed a Long Champion boss run, but here we are - intact, (relatively) sane, proud of what we’ve made, and profoundly grateful to all of you for your support.

We've been truly humbled by the excitement and enthusiasm we've seen from our community. Whether you supported us on Kickstarter, Humble, or on Steam Early Access, you have helped make this game what it is. Your feedback, suggestions, and critiques have been a part of our discussions and development since February, 2015. Not only that, your fanart, streams, YouTube videos, cosplays, theorycrafting, fanfiction, guides, and modding - have inspired and honored us, and we thank you very sincerely for sharing your creations.

The best part? There's more to come! After some much needed rest, the team will get to work on our first (free) expansion featuring Town Events, a new Hero Class, and even more goodies. Beyond that, you can look forward to even more additions, modes, and content throughout the year, as well as our official support of the modding community and their efforts to extend the Darkest Dungeon experience even further. We love our game, and we can’t wait to grow and improve it with you!

Also backers get a special secret item:

"Finally, a special reward to all of you for backing. In game, you can claim an item called the "Crest of the 1100". This item will help you endure the stresses of the underdark. "

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 19, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

Crusader: We all brought supplies, where's your stuff?
Plague Doctor: Don't worry about me, you're already incubating it!

quote:

Class-Specific Provisions
Other Classes have been inspired by the Houndmaster’s preparedness and have begun to fashion themselves with their own provision to bring into dungeons.
Houndmaster - 2 Dog Treats
Plague Doctor - 1 Antivenom
Grave Robber - 1 Shovel
Arbalest - 1 Bandage
Crusader - 1 Holy Water
Leper - 1 Medicinal Herbs
Jester - 1 Medicinal Herbs

Love it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Red Mundus posted:

I haven't played in a while but are trinkets actually worth something or are they still poo poo? Looking forward to seeing all the changes.

Trinkets have probably gotten the most balance passes of anything in the game. They're way better than they used to be, although some are still pointless garbage of course, so you gotta be smart about it. But there's some treasure in the mix no doubt.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I think they handled stuff like people wanting a loss state in the best possible way by making them all options. Now everyone has what they want.

Wait, what loss state? Stuff like corpses aren't a loss state. Is there a new option there wasn't before?

Are you thinking about new game+?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

What if you gave the Jester a strong dodge buff + self-mark? A sort of taunt move that lets him dodge tank to some extent?

This is honestly a pretty brilliant idea, no clue if it could be easily modded in the current system though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Darkest Dungeon.gif

This is beautiful

:darksouls:

Gabriel Pope posted:

That, and even once it unlocks it's really fuckin' expensive to fix someone who has 2-3 lovely skills, which can gently caress you over if you have bad luck with the wagon. This is really more an issue of there being too many lovely skills, though. A lot of classes only have 4-5 worthwhile skills.

If someone has 3 lovely skills there's no point in investing in fixing their skills. Level 0 heroes are entirely disposable and you should be throwing them into the blender. Anybody who doesn't have good skills who comes out of a dungeon with stress, you sack them and hire somebody new. Doing that a couple times means you make way more profit and you end up with a better team with skills you like.

Its your own fault if you level somebody up to level 4 before you realize they have lovely skills or something. And if you can get them that far with lovely skills then apparently they aren't so lovely.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 21, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Holy smokes. I'm kind of concerned about that guy, that's not a healthy level of anger control.

Well he is on camera. I would really question if he'd do the same if he wasn't streaming. Even if it isn't "fake" he's probably hamming it up a little intentionally.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gabriel Pope posted:

This is a luxury that's going to be a lot harder to afford in NG+, though.

Yeah that's true, but that's NG+ for ya. And you've still got what like 17 deaths? So you can spare a couple. But yeah on NG+ you may have to hold onto some level 0s and take care of them later on or something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bogart posted:

We should probably put this in the OP.

Done.

God drat this thread is moving fast now that the game's out, I can barely keep up!

If anybody wants to write a new tutorial for new players just post it and I'll add it to the OP.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Scribbleykins posted:

Give it up. They will never embrace the utility of Jesters. Just like modern times. Oh, merry, motley men of jingling japes, oh brightly garbed and twirling, licensed fools, where hath thou gone. :negative:

Although... perhaps there's hope yet.

Challenge of the month: Play with only Jesters

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Good work, covers all the basics pretty well. Added.

Lyrax posted:

Imagine four fools on the edge of madness. A Finale of the Jester nearest the edge sends him to the back of the line and takes the place of the fourth Jester. And so on. Your mind works the same way.

:golfclap:

Now I've gotta name a Jester as Johnny Fiveaces

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

victrix posted:

So uh, is there any penalty whatsoever to throwing a fresh batch of stagecoach recruits into dungeons with no light to farm loot for months on end?

Nope, and that's how you recover from seriously loving up your game. There is no hard game fail state.

That said, obviously you're going to stress the gently caress out of those dudes and so you'll have to keep hiring and sacking dudes each time, but that's totally a legit way to get some scratch together if you're broke.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

widespread posted:

I did this and while useful, I couldn't help but smirk at the idea of "The Hamlet Discount Guild For Seekers", where they only get you to Rank 2, but good golly they have great deals on it.

You want sharp swords? drat, we should have known those would be popular, all sold out. We've got blunt swords for days though if you want those...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Adorable.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Great curio cheatsheet, courtesy reddit:

Now you too can stop reading books for no reason!

I'm gonna link this in the OP, super convenient format.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Azran posted:

You guys saw the post about the newest character class over on the main site, right?

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/the-antiquarian/

I like this way more than I was imagining the "merchant" class. It looks like another take on the Occultist almost, but the class focus is very unique still. Love it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

These patch changes are fantastic.

Antiquarian seems really really cool although I need more time to wrap my head around how to best use em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Use imgur so the pic doesn't break

Highwang posted:

Oh poo poo.

This could be fun