Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm considering trying out Windows 10 on my little Atom-based tablet with Windows 8.1. How will the upgrade work, is it in-place or fresh install? Will it touch the OEM restore partition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think Microsoft's line on "media center" now is that you should get an Xbox.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The "limited time" is supposed to be one year from the release date.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I installed the preview as an upgrade to a fresh Windows 8.1 install yesterday. It apparently now wants to install the 10130 update (is that actually the newest on the slow track?), but the install keeps failing. When I reboot the machine and it reaches the installer screen, it stays stuck on 0%, with status "Copying files 3%", I've left it there for at least 15 minutes without anything happening. The circle is pulsing however.
Hard-resetting the machine makes it boot back into the working Windows 10 install, and give a message that upgrading failed.

Any tips on fixing this? Probably making it start completely over with the update attempt, or cancelling it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

What pagan god do I have to appease in order to get off build 10130? After some more use this poo poo appears to be wonky as hell and I want 10158/9 but can't find an ISO.

Ditto. My 10130 claims there aren't any updates despite being on fast track.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

10162 ISOs are up for slow ring testers:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/preview-download

Product key: 8N67H-M3CY9-QT7C4-2TR7M-TXYCV

My 10162 also isn't activating, but apparently I can't use that key. Or, I can, but then I'd be changing from the Home Insider Preview edition to the Pro Insider Preview (or whatever they call it). But I'd likely have to downgrade again when the final is out, since I upgraded to the preview from a Win 8.1 Home license.

So yeah, that key doesn't go with Home licenses.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sort of just as much a Windows 8 problem, but how come several of the store apps appear in a different language than the OS is set to use?
My native language is Danish and living in Denmark, so regional settings are set for that, but I prefer to use my software in English. Despite that, almost every store app (including Mail, and Calendar, but oddly not People) appears in Danish. Windows 8.1 was installed from English language media, then upgraded to 10 IP, staying English in the process, but those store apps have remained the "wrong" language all the way through.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

sbaldrick posted:

So does anyone else have an issue with the intel graphic drivers crashing every time your laptop goes to sleep? It recovers most of the time, but a few times on the last few builds its started sucking extra processing power?

Is this just an intel is crap issue?

Drivers on my Intel NUC (design-wise a HTPC, but most likely laptop parts all the way) doesn't have that kind of problems. However it refuses to stay in Sleep, wakes again after a few minutes.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nielsm posted:

Sort of just as much a Windows 8 problem, but how come several of the store apps appear in a different language than the OS is set to use?
My native language is Danish and living in Denmark, so regional settings are set for that, but I prefer to use my software in English. Despite that, almost every store app (including Mail, and Calendar, but oddly not People) appears in Danish. Windows 8.1 was installed from English language media, then upgraded to 10 IP, staying English in the process, but those store apps have remained the "wrong" language all the way through.

I think I managed to fix it.

Settings -> Time & Language -> Region & Language -> Make sure English is at top of the Languages list.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I don't know if it's an issue with the firmware or with Win 10, but the NUC I'm running it on is unable to reboot. It always freezes hard right after the Intel logo screen. I should have tested it a bit more while on Win 8.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Which model NUC? I'm running the Win10 preview on the latest gen i5 and it's been working fine. (Fresh install, fwiw.)

It's the cheapest model I could get from new, with a Celeron brand CPU.
DN2820FYKH

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

galahan posted:

Does Windows 10 have native support for dual NICs so I can do Comcast and also stream my true unlimited phone data to help ease Comcast's data cap?
(Don't cross the streams!) (Too much to ask I'm sure, maybe when IPv6 comes out) (I already know there is paid hardware and software to do this.)

Do you want, like, one connection for some purposes and the other connection for some other purposes?

If so, you could do it by setting up static routes on one interface with lower metric than the default route on the other card. It'll be a massive chore to maintain, but there shouldn't be any particular reason it wouldn't work.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

track day bro! posted:

I installed the insider preview thingy on my old thinkpad and it runs great, even works with the stupid lenovo only ati drivers from 2007.

One irritation is that windows update keeps installing drivers automatically with no way to tell it not to. It keeps re-installing a wireless printer with all the extra stupid bundled software, is there a way to stop it from doing this?

I've changed these settings

But the printer still tries to reinstall itself, is there any other setting I can change to stop this?

The driver might be in your system's driver store already, so it doesn't attempt to retrieve it again.

You can maybe use pnputil to remove the driver from the store.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BITS seems to operate with two priorities, "foreground" and "background".
It supposedly tries to avoid hogging the bandwidth, however:

MSDN posted:

BITS uses the client's network adapter to measure available network bandwidth. Because BITS is not able to measure bandwidth beyond the client, BITS may congest the WAN link. To reduce congestion on the WAN link, you can use the MaxInternetBandwidth group policy to limit the amount of bandwidth that the client uses.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Rahu posted:

So is there any way I can do a clean install with the free upgrade? I know the ISO is up for download but I don't have a key to use with that :/

From my understanding, you must perform an upgrade initially. When that's installed, it activates, and that somehow marks your computer as eligible for clean Windows 10 installations.
I don't think you ever get a product key, although you might be able to use a tool to extract one after install.

Or just do the upgrade, then use that feature to do a "reset" of the system. That should effectively be identical to a true clean install.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

I just want Microsoft to send me a loving product key so I can download an ISO, burn it to a USB stick, and basically sandbox Windows 10 on its own hard drive until I can be sure it's not going to break everything I do on my computer.

And most importantly, until I can verify the Metro Netflix app still works.

Clone your current install to a new drive, boot the cloned copy, upgrade it, test away.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SirDrone posted:

Apparently scaling is completely hosed for some users who want to change their text or images to different sizes, if I try going to recommended levels poo poo becomes blurry pieces of rear end.

Logged out and back in afterwards? I had to do that while running the preview, after changing DPI settings, for everything to look right.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

MY ABACUS! posted:

Is the Store app still only going to show these mobile-style apps and no desktop apps in Windows 10? If so, doesn't this just further establish the fragmented ecosystem?

No the Store is going to host all kinds of apps, also regular old desktop ones. It's one thing Microsoft worked on exactly to avoid that problem.
And it sounds pretty great actually.

They made an "app model" that makes it possible to package Win32 software into packages that can be installed and uninstalled safely, and work isolated from each other. That means that store apps will never be able to trample on each others' settings, nor make any really global changes to your system. They run sort-of sandboxed, except it doesn't look like that from inside the box, so most things can just be made work as-is.

But since the store has just opened there won't be a whole lot in it yet.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The media creation tool is massively confused.

My English (UK) install of WIndows 8.1 made from an English (UK) DVD, running with English (UK) user interface, but Danish locale, downloaded the Danish language version. After seeing the downloading screens in English, I got the EULA presented in Danish.

Well, I try creating a USB stick for installing instead.
Apparently my USB stick isn't a USB stick.

Okay, time to get the ISO and manually copy the contents of that onto the USB stick then. Ugh.
At least it ought to be in English this time.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Alcatrash posted:

Can I upgrade to Windows 10 and still use the same Windows 7 key to have an installation of Windows 7 at the same time?

I don't think you're prevented from doing it, but it would be against the upgrade license terms, so according to Microsoft's lawyers your Windows 7 install would be pirated.

It might be different if you're dual-booting them on one physical machine, though, or running one or the other in a VM.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ManSedan posted:

My desktops a 60gb SSD for my OS and a 2TB HDD for everything else. When I was running Windows 7 I just had user folders like 'music' etc... on the HDD and just included those folders in the applicable libraries to get to them from the start menu. It seems that in 10 though, if I click on 'music' in the start menu it brings up instead the music folder under 'This PC', which is my C:\ drive, which is empty.
I can still access my libraries, but it's a longer process and does not seem to be the default anymore. As a roundabout I can pin libraries to quick access in the file explorer, but I still can't directly access that from Start. Is there a different way I should be going about this?

Right-click those folders in Computer, go to Properties, there should be a tab where you can change the location.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

iamsosmrt posted:

If I'm upgrading from Windows 8.1, is it easy to make a clean install of 10, or do I have to go through the upgrade first before MS provides the means to do the clean?

My computer's starting to chug along on some processes so I figure a fresh start might be for the best anyway.

You must perform the upgrade from inside your existing install.
That marks your computer as eligible for free Windows 10.

You should have an option to "keep nothing" during the Windows 10 install, which should be effectively the same as a clean install. If you don't like the result, you can (after confirming Windows 10 has activated) do a format and clean install.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Does anyone have experiences with upgrading small Win 8 tablets? First, how much free space should be required by the upgrade? Will doing a clean (keep nothing) upgrade affect amount of space required? My tablet came with a free Office 2013 license, should that still be valid afterwards? What if I do a reset later, would that affect that kind of preload? (I don't have an Office 365 subscription.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Trip report: Upgrade of tablet went great. Now I just need to get used to the new ways of doing things, yet again.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

So basically if I'm planning a hardware upgrade I should do that now and get Windows 7 settled and happy before upgrading to 10?

Yes.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Is anyone working on a new thread OP?

I've tried drafting out something, preview here. If anyone wants to continue it, I'd be happy to leave it to someone else. I wouldn't keep up with maintaining the live thread.
Suggestions/corrections/additional pictures are also welcome.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nielsm posted:

Is anyone working on a new thread OP?

I've tried drafting out something, preview here. If anyone wants to continue it, I'd be happy to leave it to someone else. I wouldn't keep up with maintaining the live thread.
Suggestions/corrections/additional pictures are also welcome.

Updated the linked test post with some more stuff, I think it's basically done now. If noone has any complaints I'll be posting a new thread in a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

New thread!

• Locked thread