Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

gba runs perfectly on the 3ds for the same reason ds stuff works on it. it's native code and that's how the ambassador games worked.

Right, but for Virtual Console they demand that things like save states and sleep mode functioning properly before they consider it releasable, and they are not willing to sacrifice emulation accuracy to make them work. The ambassador games do not meet those minimum standards, so they're a no-go.

Homebrew emulators sacrifice accuracy for playability, so while they "work" they aren't up to the standards Nintendo has set for itself.

This is probably why we've never gotten N64 games on the Wii U despite getting them on the Wii. The N64 has always been a bitch to emulate and throwing control remapping and save states on top of that was probably the straw that broke the camel's back on moving them to Wii U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

While Link Between Worlds is real, real good, I don't really see any reason to go straight to it instead of Link to the Past. Nothing about LTTP has aged poorly compared to most of the older titles and it's a classic. The possibilities are endless after that one but that's where I'd start. It'd be a great "intro" game.

Yeah, not knocking LoZ 1 or 2, but they haven't aged as well as the later titles. LTTP is a much better introduction to the series as it sets up the formula most of the later games would follow while still falling into the top-down style of the first game. From there the game boy games are a great continuation of the 2D style and if you want to move on to the 3D series start with OOT 3D and go from there.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

DK'94 is an absolute hidden treasure.

I really wish I had known what the game actually was when it came out. I never gave it a look since it looked like a port of an old boring arcade game at first glance but I totally would have loved it had I played it.

I imagine I wasn't the only one to skip it for this reason, and that's a drat shame. At least it got a sequel in Mario vs Donkey Kong, but that series went to poo poo when they added the Minis and turned it into a crappy lemmings knockoff.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

loquacius posted:

So, I just received a $50 Amazon gift card and after trying a New 3DS at PAX I thought I might put it toward an incredibly irresponsible purchase. The problem is that for some reason I can't seem to find the New 3DS on Amazon -- every listing is a scalper charging more than MSRP which I refuse to reward. Is it just not being sold on Amazon by any reputable and non-crooked source? If not, how come? :saddowns:

Also would it be possible to buy myself a New 3DS and give the old one to my fiancee with all the games I have installed to it intact on the old one and reusable on the new one? I can totally understand if this is the kind of thing Nintendo would at the very least strongly discourage of course but it's worth asking.

Amazon stopped selling Nintendo hardware back during the whole DS Lite broken hinge debacle. Something to do with losing a lot of money by forcing customers to return them to Amazon instead of having Nintendo repair them.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Cless Alvein posted:

:psyduck: I bought a used complete copy with working Club Nintendo code from Best Buy in November for $22.50

Yeah, Majora's Mask getting released reminded lots of people that a good port of OoT came out years ago and things kinda got crazy.

At least there's a digital version around that'll let people avoid getting gouged.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Fuzz posted:

So for Club Nintendo, I have 670 points and will get the platinum thing... should I just redeem Super Mario 3D Land now, or wait until they announce whatever this free gift is? Is it possible that the game could end up being the free gift or something? I'm tempted to keep going and get more coins to use the extra 70, but ehhh... effort, and I already spent enough and none of the 150-200 coin prizes are any good other than Metroid 2.

I'm personally waiting until the gift is announced. If it winds up being stuff that's already on the list, it saves me coins, and if not I lose nothing by waiting.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

greatn posted:

I think he's saying you get the item the first time you do the mission.

Nah, it's RNG. You might get that last piece of Vegeta's armor set you're missing, the move you want, both, or nothing when you beat a given mission. In that sense it's more like an MMO, except the costumes are (mostly) cosmetic and only alter your stats a little.

Basically, beat guys up, steal their clothes and moves, and play Barbie dress-up with the self-insert you came up with when you were 12.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

flyboi posted:

Unlike the states Japan had every color of gba player you could want

There were also a few colors to match LE systems like on the light green Tales of Symphonia system

or the gundam system

To elaborate further, the GB Player hardware isn't region locked, so you can use the differently colored ones on a US system as long as you possess a (rare and increasingly more expensive) US startup disc.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Form factor, I guess? Some people get weird about the OG carts sticking out of the bottom, I dunno.

I bought an AGS-101 a few months back and I still eye modded GBCs from time to time for this reason. It's especially bad with oversized carts like Pokemon Pinball.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I'm so glad I'm cool with the guys at my local gamestop. They sold out of their allotment immediately, but they had a store in the middle of nowhere send all theirs over and they put one on hold for me.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

The screen protectors for the New 3DS are sold out everywhere (except Nintendo) so I'm keeping that there until I can get those on.

e: and I also ordered a MM back plate in case this one gets scratched :negative:

You are aware that the screens on the N3DSXL are the exact same size as the original XL and that the New 3DS branded ones are the exact same thing with new packaging, right? Just buy the ones for the old XL.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

triplexpac posted:

I haven't played any Pokemon since Red/Blue, if I want to play one on 3DS what's the one to get?

The general rule is:
-If you care about competitive battling or have Gen3 Nostalgia, go for Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire.
-If this is your first game since Gen 1, X/Y are tailor made for you. You even get a Gen 1 Starter shortly after you begin and lots of Gen1 pokemon are on every route.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

epitasis posted:

x and y are better than ruby sapphire but probably the z version is due to be announced so get ruby sapphire first and play z when it comes out?

That depends on what we're getting; we don't know if they'll do the Gen 5 direct sequel thing again or if they're doing a traditional third version.

If the next game is a direct sequel, you'd want to play X or Y first. If it's a third version, you would skip X/Y in its favor.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Terper posted:

Don't try to level up everyone.

Did we play the same Gen 6? It's impossible to not keep your team leveled roughly evenly once you get the exp. share. The only way to fall behind is to constantly rotate out your team roster as you catch things.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

raditts posted:

More like you're not talking about the same game series. He was replying to a post about Fire Emblem.

Welp. :downs: Didn't even see the lone FE post sandwiched between all the Pokemon stuff.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, what? I would've thought Final Fantasy source code (the PSX ones, no less) would be religiously preserved for eternal re-releases and ports.

Nope, the original source files for all 3 of them are gone forever. It was a standard practice at the time to delete everything once the game was done and move on to the next game. Hell, they deleted one of the Chocobo's Dungeon games before the source got sent to the translation team, so it wound up never getting translated.

Why do you think they keep dolling up and re-releasing the 1997 PC versions of VII and VIII?

Even then they're stuck with the original resolution backgrounds and FMVs because they can't be re-rendered without the source.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

greatn posted:

Haha they're so dumb.

The only reason the source code for any cartridge-based games is still available to be ripped and remastered is that the roms contain all of it. The practice didn't become an issue until prerendered backgrounds and FMVs became a thing with the advent of CD-based consoles.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Is there a source for any of this? I find it kind of hard to believe that any developer would delete source code for anything after a project is done.

I can't look it up at work, but one of the guys that worked on the PC ports of VII and VIII made a post detailing what went down with those. The PC port was outsourced to another company and they had a lot of trouble due to the unavailability of things like higher resolution textures/FMVs, or even the source to the game's engine.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Minidust posted:

Is that in reference to any cartridge-based game, or just the Final Fantasy titles? I recall hearing about how they had to cancel a "colorized" collection of the Gameboy Mega Man games, because the source code couldn't be found.

I think any cartridge based game, at least through the 16-bit era. They would have been coded directly in the console's machine language, so the code in the ROM is the source - it wouldn't have been compiled from another language. (I have no in-depth knowledge in this field so any experienced romhacker/old school game dev can feel free to put me in my place.)

The only thing I can think of is that the GB Mega Man games were coded in a way that prevented proper colorization and colorizing them would have required a full rewrite of the games.

The things that would be lost from the original making of the game are any dev tools/debuggers that were left off the retail ROM as well as any cut content (level code, graphics assets, etc.).

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're localizing the toys and anime too, so its all gotta wait for the stars to align and they can push everything out at once for the holidays.

If this thing can supplant Pokemon in Japan, it can potentially do the same over here. I don't blame them for putting their eggs in this basket because if it works they'll get one hell of a payday on top of creating yet another generation of faithful Nintendo customers.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I don't think it'll do the same over here because so much of Yokai Watch's success is tied to the toy/medal bullshit and I don't know that there's the same audience for it outside of Japan.

You seriously don't think there's a market for cheap plastic trinkets here in america? Especially cheap plastic trinkets with a collectibility aspect that can be easily worn to school and shown off to other kids?

Like, I'm not going to guarantee it will take off, but it follows the same formula as pretty much every big fad aimed at 7-12 year olds.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

LBW is really good

Seriously, if you haven't played it yet and you liked LTTP at all, you owe it to yourself to play this one.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Dehry posted:

X&Y should be going for $20 by now. The current Pokemon event is excluding the game* and they've already put out a teaser trailer for the 2016 movie featuring two new pokemon not in the data for ORAS or XY. It's probably best to wait a couple more months and get a better deal.

*Diance available this weekend through online download only in NA and EU for ORAS

Come on, this is Nintendo. You should know 1st party games never get that low unless they don't sell or get made a Player's Choice release. Especially system movers like Pokemon.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

So I picked up Animal Crossing in the Best Buy sale and I am shocked at how quickly it hooked me. I intended to start the game tonight and leave it until tomorrow to play it seriously, but instead of quitting after getting my town started I just spent 3 hours talking to folks, digging up fossils, and catching bugs. :stare:

Also I know I'm late to the party with this, but Isabelle is the best.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

The Pokemon models look fine, it's literally everything else that looks like crap. Yokai Watch is a good example of how Pokemon might have looked in the hands of more competent developers.

The pokemon models look great because people who have ripped them noticed that they are very overbuilt for the 3DS and contain enough detail to look great in HD. This is why the battle scenes tend to chug.

It's pretty obvious that they intend to use those models for a long time going forward, and I don't blame them. At this point, remaking that many models every generation would be a pain in the rear end.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Are those the only three colors?

E: Nope. There is at least an Onyx Black version. Oh, and that silver one down below.

The "onyx black" and the Dark grey one are one and the same. Nintendo called it Graphite. The 101 only had 3 official colors plus the EU-only "Tribal" version seen above. There were special edition Pokemon and Spongebob ones, as well.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

Every system is only compatible with the one before it.

GBA can play GB, DS can play GBA, 3DS can play DS, but DS can't play GB or anything like that.

The only real exception to the rule is that the GB Micro dropped GB/GBC support to be as small as it was. The bare minimum hardware to play all of nintendo's handheld titles is a non-micro GBA and a New 3DS.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Rexroom posted:

So I picked up a Nintendo Select print copy of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds on Saturday. And so far it's been fun exploring and interacting with the world. So much so I've been playing this almost non-stop, only stopping because the 3DS needs a recharge every once in a while.

Mind you though, I haven't managed to die in a way that made me lose my rented tools yet. And I've saved two sages at this point. Not that I'm complaining so far.

If the lack of difficulty is bugging you, try Hero Mode once you beat the game.

I picked the game up again after beating it 6 months ago and tried out Hero mode. The only change to gameplay is that all damage is quadrupled, and that one change turns the game from a leisurely stroll through well crafted puzzles and a charming world to a meat grinder that will kill you without a second thought.

I restarted on normal halfway through the Eastern Palace because I'm a scrub. :negative:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

Also, our gachapon machine equivalents are like the saddest bullshit over here in the US, so I think some of the vending machine culture stuff might be hard to translate.

Every little kid has begged for a couple of quarters to use in the machines near the entrance of the grocery store so it's not like capsule toys are an entirely foreign concept.

Hell, I'd love for a generation of kids to grow up thinking that Japanese Gachapon machines are cool - it means we might actually see them over here someday if demand for them springs up.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

I'm glad you all find it so easy. But yes I am thinking of the right game and, yes, I do think it's hard compared to the other Mario titles.

ffs, you don't even get to go from fire mario > super mario > small mario when you get hit. You just drop straight to small. So, objectively, it's easier to die to enemies in SML than any other Mario game.

That's exactly what happens in SMB, SMB3J, and SMW, though?

SMB3 US was edited to the easier current model, and SMW hid it by giving you a reserve item that dropped when you got hit. SML was doing things exactly like they were in the console games.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

I'll admit that the original SMB is the one I have the least experience with so I can't really speak to the difficulty. I don't see how the Japanese version of SMB3 is relevant and considering the fact that you almost always have a reserve item in SMW anyways you more than likely have that reserve health to fall back on.

It doesn't help that the controls in SML are pretty rough too, so some jumps are more guesswork than anything.

It's relevant because it represents the way the developers originally released it. Considering Land came out 1 year after SMB3's japanese release and a year before the US version (with its easier power-up mechanics) it's not shocking that they used the exact same powerup mechanics every single prior Mario game used.

They weren't actively trying to make the game harder, they were merely carrying over the mechanic everyone was familiar with.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

The Lobster posted:

Shantae GBC isn't bad it's just a little dated.

And even then, it's amazingly advanced by the standards of a GBC game. It was one of the last games to come out on the system and stretched the hardware to its limit. It had transparency effects and parallax scrolling, which were virtually unheard of on that system.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

shitposts = legitimate complaints about how mismanaged the nintendo account system is

yeah sounds right to me

I'm a massive Nintendo fanboy and I'll readily admit that Nintendo's account system is poo poo.

I'm also an optimist, so the fact that Nintendo's new CEO hasn't spent the last 40 years holed up in Nintendo HQ ignoring everything their competitors do gives me hope that he'll force them to get with the times.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

flyboi posted:

Theoretically up to 2TB. With larger cards the initial load time of the system increases so it's a trade off. I personally use a 64GB just fine.

Note that sizes above 32GB only work if you format them to FAT32 (SDXC cards come formatted to ExFAT out of the box), which the built-in Windows formatter won't let you do - you'll need to use another utility to format a larger drive.

Whoa vvv

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

thorsilver posted:

This is a pretty good summary. The biggest compliment I can give the current-gen Pokemon games is that as someone who generally loving hates what happens when 2D sprite-based games go to 3D models, they did a fantastic job on these games. Every Pokemon is filled with personality, the 3D models are great (in fact too great if anything -- framerate chugs at times during battle), and the animations are charming as hell.

Single-player in these games isn't exactly challenging though. If you want better post-game stuff then Black2/White2 on DS are better. Also Heart Gold/Soul Silver. But the main advantage of the 3DS games is how easy it is to battle online, so just do that instead IMO.

A lot of the ease in Gen 6 comes through the use of the Exp-Share. If you're after a challenge, you can either turn it off or rotate 10+ pokemon through your team so you don't get too overleveled.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Look, optimism is all I have left. Let me dream. :(

Best case is that they'll offer a discounted price if you own the Wii/Wii U version, but that's incredibly unlikely since that isn't the case with NES games.

Hell, my guess is that the two eshops can't really "see" each other's data at all given that the cross-platform Smash DLC packs and that crossbuy Mario vs DK game work by giving you a code for the other version rather than just unlocking it on your account.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Quoting someone from the Retro Gaming thread:

flyboi posted:

THE JAPAN IMPORT GATES ARE (mostly) OPENED ONCE AGAIN!!!

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/09/amazon-japan-video-games/

Good news for people on homebrew who want to play imports, or people who own a regular New 3DS and want to import accessories like plates/charging stands. Also Amiibo collectors.

It has to be sold by Amazon.co.jp directly, though. Things fulfilled by Amazon don't ship internationally.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

SNES games run pretty poo poo on homebrew emulators on Old 3DS so I don't think Nintendo's being so sneaky this time.

Also, if you want a practical demonstration of the New 3DS's increased horsepower compared to the original, try playing Hyrule Warriors on the two models side by side. It's pretty drat apparent.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

I've spent so much time arguing with people who kept insisting that Nintendo were screwing them no matter how much proof people would present to the contrary, that I didn't realize that it's not obvious that emulation requires a lot of power, and that some people might just be curious about how it works, sorry about that.

A day or two ago Nintendo's explanation for why SNES games were N3DS exclusive showed up in the Facebook trends and the responses I saw were pretty much universally "Nintendo's being greedy". Pretty frustrating to someone knows that this isn't the case.

I'd argue that declining to make Hyrule Warriors an N3DS exclusive is a better example of a money grab - the game's performance is pretty much unacceptable on the original model but restricting it would have led to lower sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

I've been hearing some virtual console games won't play on older 3DSes. Is that true? And if so, which version of the 3DS should I get to avoid that problem? Would a 3DSXL work with any given VC game?

This only applies to SNES VC games. The original isn't fast enough to run them properly, so they're New 3DS exclusive.