Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
"why does being a majora's mask fan suck so much" asks goon, less than 72 hours after a gorgeously-polished portable remake of Majora's Mask is released 15 years after the original

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

nah you're still being a big dorkus. just get a decal in a month or so once people start making them to fit the nuXL

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bloomington posted:

I pre-ordered the monster hunter 4u version and got it at the midnight launch.

Unfortunately the touch screen is busted, and I can't exchange it for another one because every monster hunter n3ds was spoken for by pre-order and there won't be any more.

Black new 3ds it is :downs:

send it to nintendo and they'll give you a new mh one

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Neat. Apparently New 3DSXLs are sold out across the city, though. Doggone it Nintendo.

Oh well, L-targeting seemed to work OK in the MH4U demo anyway, so I won't shed too many tears yet.

i'm so glad you can hun mons in comfort

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

tlarn posted:

Is it weird that the main reason I wanted a New 3DS XL was because I discovered the scaling on DS games isn't quite right on the regular 3DS, leading to some blurriness, and it scales correctly on the XL's larger resolution screens?

The XL has the same resolution screens as the regular, and the New doesn't change that. However, on both the XL and Bite-Size models, you can hold START (or SELECT) while DS games boot up to get them to render at native resolution, with black space around the image, and on the XL models, the reduced screen size is less egregious.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

the magnet that activates sleep mode on my laptop sometimes activates the sleep mode on my New3DS if I put the 3DS down on the corresponding place on my laptop’s wristrest.

Which is, you know, TERRIFYING the first time it happens, because the screen and sound shut off suddenly and you don’t know what’s going on, but becomes extremely amusing in retrospect.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

Why would you want Plex on your 3DS when you probably have a smartphone with an actual good screen

For 3D, obviously.

And I can confirm that Plex works on 3DS AND that any side-by-side or top/bottom formatted 3D video file, in either orientation, is compatible with the 3DS Web Browser's Video Player!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MaxDuo posted:

You mean that Nintendo is doomed and will go out of business in 1-2 years because smart phones are the future of gaming! :viggo: (also high Pokemon sales have doomed the company to bankruptcy)

Some were incapable of holding the 3DS still and would lose the 3D effect constantly. This one tracks your eyes so it's harder to lose.

I will miss the stupid ability to angle the 3DS slightly and reverse the 3D effect, which made me feel like reality was about to destroy itself.

You can disable the super-stable effect somewhere deep in the settings, restoring the inverted 3d.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again: the mechanism for the Circle Pad takes up the entire thickness of the 3DS. A full Right Circle Pad would take up space for the battery and/or other internals, in addition to aesthetic and ergonomic issues.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

I guess it just depends how many N3DS-only games they wind up actually releasing. Can't see why someone would make a game for a system with a much smaller install base than the OG 3DS platform that only comes with seemingly minimal graphical/memory upgrades.

I'm more interested in n3DS enhancements than exclusives. CPP (and ZL/ZR) support, better texture quality, etc.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Louisgod posted:

the people that own stock in Nintendo are massively stupid

so how much Nintendo stock do you own?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Because otherwise there is no reason to buy the small one

so why make the small one?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Dieting Hippo posted:

ok i just 3d printed a plastic cover for my c-nub and it controls perfectly now. why nintendo made a smooth-rubber pressure sensitinve nub for games is beyond me.

put it on shapeways

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

but it's analog, how does that work?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

it's the righteous fury of organized labor bringing capitalist hegemony to its knees

workers of the world, unite

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

gyro aiming + stable 3D feels like it's the future. if they actually COMBINED them to, say, alter the HUD perspective in real-time based on face-tracking... can you imagine???

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

It should be possible for games to change their camera angle on the fly based on head tracking and give you a diorama effect, IF games have access to that tracking data. Hopefully something comes along that does it.

well, games have access to the inside camera and the gyro. all the IR light does is allow the inner camera to work in low-light conditions, it doesn't handle any special sensing, so there's no real reason why n3DS games couldn't implement face-tracking either via Nintendo's internal systems or via their own parallel interpretation.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

homeless snail posted:

There's an IPC interface for talking to the headtracking system, but who knows if anyone will ever use it.

how do you know this?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Most of the grinding for those sorts of consumables gets factored out by midgame (you can just buy most stuff) but it's still about constantly re-fighting bosses for drops.

play multiplayer tho, it owns

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

What sort of game is Monster Hunter? I see it is well-regarded but I can't figure out exactly what it is.

It's Monster Hunter. Download the demo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

system transfer (assuming you aren't doing full card-to-card wifi transfer) takes about an hour, but you kinda have to babysit it so you might wanna wait till you get home anyway

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

That's a bummer. You can turn off the super-stable without turning off the 3D but that's not super-fun either.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Wait, seriously? You could emulate SNES on a regular DS Lite... like, really easily. That is the dumbest excuse I've ever heard Nintendo give, wow.

easily but badly

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Well, there's the above question of Absolute Accuracy and the associated issue of performance

Furthermore, while most SNES games do (just barely) render in juuust within the 3DS's native resolution, many use a "hires" mode at 512x448 for special effects that would be difficult or impossible to faithfully reproduce on the 3DS's 240p screen. (One such game is Earthbound, FYI.)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also I'd like to thank whoever donated to the TG Sanity fund.

zuh?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did you not see his avatar as it was of about five-ten minutes ago of the obese naked man sitting at a computer?

...no. i'll check SOAP

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Awesome! posted:

what happens when you start a wii with no game in the slot?

not the wii channels menu, the home-button menu. the one that says "reset" or "manual" and has the wiimote options

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

precision posted:

Which two did I miss? I was counting:

OG Fat DS
DS lite
DSi
3DS
2DS
3DSXL

Phat
Lite
DSi
DSiXL
3DS
3DSXL
2DS
n3DS+n3DSXL

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Nothing did pop up on the new console. I was planning on doing a system transfer but never did it.

:f5:

have you tried putting the new card in the 3DS via an adapter? Are you sure the filesystem is arranged the exact same way as before?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

he's lying. Xenoblade 3DS is going to be available on the eShop.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Glenn posted:

A friend of mine was awesome enough to buy me a New 3DS XL a few days ago, but I didn't set it up until just now because I had been waiting for a microSD card in the mail. The system transfer was pretty painless and the console itself is pretty slick. In case anyone is wondering (because I was), the red New 3DS XL looks a lot better in person. :)

Now that I have this thing, should I try Monster Hunter 4? I've never played a Monster Hunter game, but a co-worker keeps pestering me to buy 4 so I can play with him. What should I expect?

We have a Monhun Megathread, but in short: expect what is essentially a boss rush with MMO-style grinding play-pattern. You smash monsters to turn their corpses into better armor and weapons so that you can smash future monsters more effectively. The monster-smashing itself is extremely fun and intense and technical, so it's not just a Diablo-type bigger-numbers skinner box, either.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Wamdoodle posted:

Just call. They can do it over the phone.

If he does that, he'll lose his save data.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Deceptive Thinker posted:

This made me laugh partially because I have co-workers who actually took a field trip to a "place that makes batteries" today

Was it as exciting as the trip to the box factory?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Kanfy posted:

They're also incredibly difficult to All Critical because they're way more strict about the timing than the rest of the tracks. Screw EMS, it's only a good thing there's so few of them.

Also the most important thing related to Curtain Call and DLC is that Good King Moggle Mog's track is BMS and thus also playable online. :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCcbKY7d0dc

Wow, that is a REALLY BLATANT pastiche of that Nightmare Before Christmas song, ahaa

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Kid Icarus was The Multiplayer Game for a little while but now it's Monster Hunter.

Play Monster Hunter.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Nothing yet really, but there is that Pokemon MMO for the N3DS due out later this year. That should fill the big multiplayer game to unite us all slot nicely.

lolwut

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Housh posted:

Oh poo poo it looks like Icarus is winning. I've been avoiding it because every review mentions hand/arm discomfort. I'm on the cusp of getting wrist surgery cause of carpal tunnel so that poo poo scares me. I wish they made Nintendo branded wrist supports.

I'm sure there is already a goon Monster Hunter community, right? I think Giantbomb has one going strong. Could be fun getting stupid with each other.

What do you want to play?

Normally I'd say the Hand Pain Stories for KI are overstated but if you're predisposed to that sort of discomfort I'd avoid it. Monhun has better multiplayer anyway.

hun mons with us

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

I wonder how committed to the 3D effect they are and if it will be on future handheld systems.

Considering the head-tracking of the n3DS, I expect any successors will continue to implement it in increasingly refined forms.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

kater posted:

I bought a Newds on a whim and the upgrade from an old standard 3ds is pretty amazing. The 3d refuses to work if I hold it six inches from my face and it sometimes feels so flimsy that I get eye daggers every time I press a button, but overall it's just really good looking and I'm extremely happy with the purchase.

That said holy poo poo Nintendo is just obscene with the sd card placement. Like, I thought it was funny as much as anyone when people were fretting over having to unscrew something, but I had to loving look up where to find the card because not only are you unscrewing something, you are loving popping the entire back off the drat machine. Goddammit I shouldn't loving have to question how well I reassembled the case because of the cheap plastic aligning poorly.

Six inches is way too close for the 3D. It wprks best at 10-14 inches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

Does anyone else actually understand resolution between DS mode and 3DS mode? Basically, Shantae is on the eShop, the 3DS Virtual Console. However, it can be played in DS Mode as well and I'm wondering what the differences, in visual quality, would be.

Those are different games. Shantae for GBC is a 3DS game via the VC. Shantae: RIsky's Revenge is a DSiWare game that runs in DS mode. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is a 3DS eShop game that runs in 3DS mode.

There's a 3DS VERSION of Risky's Revenge coming out soon, to make things more confusing for weird people who can't read.