Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm seriously considering upgrading my 3DS XL to the Nu3DS XL, are any reputable places having sales or discounts on the system or is it just too new? I'm a fan of saving money and getting good deals when I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fuzz posted:

There won't be any sales on it until November, at the earliest. The best deal would ahve been trading in your old 3DS at Gamestop, but that promotion is long dead, so you're basically out of luck unless you wanna grab one and then try your luck on eBay with the old one.
That's sort of what I figured. I was planning on selling the old 3DS XL to try and recoup some of the cost of "upgrading".

In all honesty $200 seems like a pretty fair price (even moreso if I can get some of it back by reselling the old handheld) but I try to save money where I can.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Housh posted:

Nope. I think most are waiting for DSTWO plus to come out. I ordered a R4i Gold from nds-card to play around with. They take paypal and are recommended by gbatemp. My plan is to get a DSTWOplus once they come out and give the R4i Gold to my nephew.
I've got a DSTWO (and I like it a lot), will there be any reason to upgrade to the DSTWOplus once it's available?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So if I have a bunch of eShop games on my current 3DS and I buy a Nu3DS, I can redownload all of them to the new handheld, right? Is that covered by a system transfer?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Red Robin Hood posted:

Yes that is covered by a system transfer.
Sweet, thanks!

Also is there any reason why I should get Shovel Knight on 3DS over other platforms? Like, is it in 3D, etc

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

All Frogs posted:

I passed it up as a kid because I wanted to get Donkey Kong Land instead since hey, it was Donkey Kong Country on the Game Boy and I didn't know what DK94 was exactly as a kid. In hindsight Dk94 would have been the better choice. It really is a well-made game that is really easy to just pick up and play.
Is DK94 the game boy game that starts off as a port of the old arcade cabinet, and then just when you think you've beaten its 4 stages it ends up having like 196 more levels? Because that game owned.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I recently fixed my OG game boy and found all my games so TECHNICALLY I don't need the VC version of DK94, but part of me is temped to buy it on principle because I got so much enjoyment out of it back in the day, and having my old Game Boy games on as digital backups on a modern handheld sounds really appealing and convenient.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Traded in my 3DS XL at Gamestop, with my Gamestop rewards whatever I ended up getting the Nu3DS for about $110 after tax.

The downside here is I couldn't really do a system transfer since I couldn't take the New 3DS home without giving them my old one.

I've logged into the eShop with my account and stuff, can I re-download all the games I'd bought or am I hosed? I don't care about save game data and poo poo (and besides I still have the SD card from the old 3DS, I could transfer the data from that to the microSD card if I want to, right?)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You hosed up. Call Nintendo.
God damnit.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Red Robin Hood posted:

Why didn't you just do the transfer in-store? GameStop has always been super cool about letting my friend do that when he upgraded.
Tried that, the manager was a douche and was unwilling to do that.

Fuzz posted:

Dude, multiple people told you that's how it worked before when you were asking about it a few pages back. You had said you would just grab the new one, transfer, and then sell the old one. You were warned! :smugbert:
Yeah but I didn't expect to get such a good trade-in deal with Gamestop. I was planning on buying a New 3DS from, like, walmart, do a system transfer, and then sell the old one on ebay. Gamestop eliminated all the hassle of re-selling the system for a good price (but created the hassle of not doing a system transfer).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

goferchan posted:

You could have paid full price for the new 3ds, taken it home, done the transfer, returned it, then repurchased the same one from GameStop, this time using your old one as trade-in. It's what people were doing when they offered $100/$75 for old models for the first few days the new one was available
Goddamn I didn't even think of that.

You'd better believe I feel like a huge idiot right now. I'll call Nintendo in the morning, it's after hours right now.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Waltzing Along posted:

Did the gamestop already wipe your old one? You could talk to them and get poo poo straight that way.
They're closed by now so I really can't say. I guess I could call them in the morning?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah I'm confident Nintendo will sort it all out tomorrow. I DID happen to take a photo of the old 3DS's serial number before turning it in, that might help I guess?

And as much as I feel like a retard for not doing all of my homework (and believe me, when the douche Gamestop manager said "we won't do a system transfer in-store", I almost walked), I guess the logic in my head was, "I live in a world with Steam and Xbox Live, surely if my purchases are associated with a Nintendo ID, I can download them to a new system associated with that ID".

So while I feel like an idiot, Nintendo's system *is* just a little bit archaic and dumb. Microsoft had this poo poo sorted out nearly a decade ago. :shobon:
I guess it makes me a little disappointed because I really like Nintendo's games and consoles and exclusive series, and then something silly like this happens.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Called Nintendo this morning, they were able to hook me up. I got an email from them a little while ago with some instructions to follow but I won't be able to do anything until I get home from work.

I also did the smart thing and ordered a Hori screen protector off amazon, and a 32gb microSD card. Both of those show up tomorrow, I'm guessing I should wait and do the system transfer AFTER installing the microSD card?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Junkie Disease posted:

With out the original system? How is this done?
Nintendo looked up the serial number of my old 3DS, verified that my nintendo ID was associated with it, and verified that I had a bunch of games associated with both. They asked me for the serial number of my New 3DS, and I'm guessing they did some behind the scenes wizardry on their end to migrate the digital game licenses from one serial number to the other.
I haven't followed the instructions they sent yet so I don't know what's next.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'll be getting my microSD card in the mail today, and I still have the SD card from my old 3ds. Is there anything on the SD card I might be able to salvage, like save games or whatever? If so, should I copy that stuff to the microSD card before dropping it in the new 3DS or should I put in the microSD card first (in case the 3DS needs to set up a folder file structure or whatever first, I dunno).

I tried reading through the section in the New3DS manual that talked about what you could and couldn't transfer from SD to microSD and it wasn't exactly clear.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Good to know, thanks!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

noirstronaut posted:

Gamespot gave Rainbow Curse a 5/10 so gently caress 'em as I always say.

e: Did anyone get their shipping notification for their 3DS dock? I ordered mine when they went up, but it's still listed as "Processing"
I got notification yesterday.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Inzombiac posted:

Nintendo is so stupid with naming conventions and this is the worst. Putting New as part of the name makes search queries come up primarily with new copies of the "old" 3DS.
Finding one online proved to be a hassle, even with the normal search engine tricks.
Imagine searching for one on ebay. I started out doing that, until I followed some advice in this thread that I should probably buy from a brick-and-mortar store so I have some recourse if I got a lemon. Amazon.com is the only online retailer with a return policy worth two shits, and they don't have the Nu3DS.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You guys weren't kidding that Shovel Knight is completely awesome.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Am I the only person who thinks Streetpass is a hoot? I think it's a fun gimmick and it makes me want to bring my 3DS everywhere.
Are there recommended places where you're more likely to get Streetpass hits? Like particular retailers or whatever that are Nintendo hot spots, I dunno.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Looper posted:

It's not terribly exciting unless you're a student or frequently use busy public transportation

I took my old 3DS with me on a road trip to Sea World (including into Sea World itself), I got a ton of Streetpass hits on that trip.

New technology baffles my mother, so trying to explain Streetpass to her was interesting.
"So how did you get that person's data? Did they hack your Game Boy? Is it personal information? What do you mean you wanted to trade information with strangers?" :ohdear:

Edit-- what is Homepass?

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 13, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

poo poo, I didn't even think about taking my 3DS to a con.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just got email notification from UPS that my charger cradle was delivered. :woop:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

RichterIX posted:

I went on a Sega 3D Classics buying binge because of Outrun and they are all great, but now a terrible hole has opened in my heart that can only be filled by Phantasy Star IV 3D.

Aren't the 3D Classics supposed to go on sale soon or something? I thought I remembered reading someone saying something about that in this thread or the eShop thread. I want to buy Ecco and Sonic but I was holding out for the (rumored?) sale.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

epsilon posted:

If anyone's interested I have a cartridge only copy of Majora's Mask 3DS for sale in SA-Mart. Its $33 shipped but if you mention this post I'll do $30.

poo poo, I'd have taken it off your hands if I hadn't bought a copy off eBay for $30 shipped a couple days ago.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

enojy posted:

You have like the nicest fuckin' hand. I'm jealous if both hands are that nice looking

The other hand is a literal lobster claw grafted onto a human wrist.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Steel Diver Is Not A Bad Game

You could definitely find it cheaper than that, I was just idly posting junk I saw on Best Buy.
I got Steel Diver at GameStop for like $3, I had a good time with it at that price.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I beat Shovel Knight last night. I'm not ashamed to say the post-credits scene got me a little choked-up and misty-eyes. :3:

Is there any place I can buy the soundtrack?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Housh posted:

Oh man I was hesitant to check but I believe I have an IPS screen. Only the bottom screen gets washed out on angles and the top looks sharp like my phone. It also clicks in 3 different positions.
Ditto on that for me. Good to know, I guess!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Did the Ambassador version of Four Swords support co op like the old version did?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

noirstronaut posted:

Should I get Outrun 3D? I don't really play racing games that much, but would I enjoy it?

e: Also, out of the games made by Renegade Kid, the only ones I should really care about are Mutant Mudds, Xeodrifter, and Moon Chronicles, right? Is there a secret treasure I'm missing?

Renegade Kid also did the two Dementium games for the DS, they're both pretty neat.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dementium is getting a 3DS port (and it won't be episodic like Moon).
Oh poo poo, I'm down for that. Both games?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Steel Empire his a horizontal scrolling shooter and a remake of an old Megadrive game.

They've only announced the first one so far.
I got curious and checked Wikipedia, the article for the first game mentions their intention to port/re-release both, and then make a third one. I'm pretty okay with this news!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SatansBestBuddy posted:

"Fun if dumb" describes literally every beat-em-up ever made.
Sounds like someone never played Castle Crashers!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kin posted:

Transfer complete and MM redownloading. Fairly simple all in all.

What's the limit on streetpass hits from a single 3DS? Once a day? I figure i might as well try spamming the streetpasses with my old 3DS now.

elf help book posted:

Once every 8 hours.

Are you sure? I tagged the same person twice in a handful of hours while I was out running errands last week.

Also for people looking for easy Streetpass pings, take your 3ds into a McDonalds or a Best Buy. Depending on the strength of their wi-fi, you can get a hit without even leaving your car - I can consistently pick up McD's Streetpasses by parking in their parking lot for 2 minutes.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Saoshyant posted:

"Oh, don't mind me, I'm just parked here to grab some streetpasses. I'll be gone soon."
It's a McDonalds. Sitting in the parking lot for 2 minutes is probably pretty low on the "weird poo poo" scale for a Mcdonalds.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Before someone gets overzealous, isn't 32gb the biggest a Nu3DS can handle?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Awesome! posted:

you just have to format larger cards to fat32 from exfat

Oh cool, that's good to know. :)
I'm not in any risk of filling my 32gb right now, but I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just tried the Nano Assault EX demo, and while I did like it and it had a good variety of stuff, the demo was literally 5 minutes long. If I liked the demo a lot, is the full game worth the $10 price tag?