Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

drunken officeparty posted:

I finished (re)watching Kimmy Schmidt after finishing 30 Rock. I need something to watch now. I'm considering Parks and Rec but I watched that as it aired until I gradually gave up and stopped around like season 4 or 5.

If you haven't seen Party Down you should remedy that immediately. I think it's on Hulu. Best show that no one knows about. And even though I liked Parks and Rec, I still kind of resent it for stealing away Adam Scott and any chance of a 3rd season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Rad Valtar posted:

I started Bloodline and I'm only 3 episodes in and it's keeping me intrigued. I just want to know if the slow burn leads somewhere.

It's the slowest of burns but yes, absolutely. That said, the last 30 seconds of season 1 turned me off from watching season 2 (which, without that last thirty seconds would have been a redundancy anyway). In my mind it will always be an amazing single season, one-and-done show.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm on season 3 of The Wire. How come no one told me this show was so funny?

What the gently caress did I do?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I need something to watch before the new season of Twin Peaks tonight. I don't want FWWM or anything David Lynch, just something that matches up thematically. I have Prime, Netflix and Hulu.

Black Mirror, Memento, Nightcrawler, Oldboy, The Invitation.

Southcliffe has a bit of a Lynch vibe in a way. Nothing surreal at all, but kind of like if Blue Velvet was shot like The Straight Story.

Oh, The Double is maybe your best bet for Lynchian. The final shot is really something.

E: never mind about The Double, I was thinking of Enemy

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 21, 2017

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Watch the last two episodes of season 2 at a minimum, preferably the last three. Watch FWWM

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

The strange thing about Rocky if you've never seen it is how much it *isn't* a boxing movie. There's like 5 minutes of boxing in it. It's a character study that just happens to have some boxing in it, not a boxing movie.

I only saw Jaws for the first time last year and although the shark features more in that than boxing does in Rocky, they're both similar in that whole "if all you know about this movie is that it's about a shark / boxing, you really don't know poo poo about this movie and should watch it" kinda way.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Buddy of mine named his kid Atreyu. True story.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Nice to meet you, Leonardo Winslet.

Literally my first thought

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Field Mousepad posted:

Always watch the Trailer Park Boys if you smoke weed. I don't even smoke weed and I love that show.

I just realized that I thought this was the same as Eastbound and Down. Maybe it is still? I've never seen either.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Best cooking show is The Great British Bake Off. No garbage drama, all the contestants seem to be pulling for each other even as they're competing against each other, just a really good show.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a name for the sub-genre of horror that consists of things like In The Mouth of Madness, The Tenant, Jacob's Ladder? Maybe existential horror? Where sanity is more at stake than your life is, maybe.

In any event, anything on streaming along those lines? Thanks!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

You should watch Irreversible, it's a laugh riot.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

precision posted:

:same:

Kinda afraid it won't hold up, but I'll risk it.

E: Can We Take a Joke on Prime is offending me. Lisa Lampanelli comparing herself to George Carlin and Lenny Bruce and whining about "outrage culture" ugh

Oh man I heard that chick has a huge vagina and loves BBC. C/d?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I saw From Dusk till Dawn on opening night in the theater not knowing anything other than that it was written by Tarantino and directed by Robert Rodriguez. I was also pretty high. The reveal was one of the most inexplicable, confounding, amazing experiences I've had. My mind could not even process what was going on for several minutes.

Mediocre movie but amazing experience.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Is The Crown any good? I watched a PBS documentary about Princess Diana last night and am now a royal family enthusiast™

I didn't like it initially but once I realized what the show was actually about I really enjoyed it. It's not about the monarchy per se, or what it's like to live in that world. It's about a young, smart but typical young lady who is forced to essentially sacrifice herself to transform into a symbol rather than be a person. It's a slow motion suicide, a destruction of self, for a perceived greater good or necessity. The actress does a fantastic job of portraying this.

I went through a similar change of expectation for Better Call Saul - I really didn't like it the first time I watched season one, when I expected it to be a dramedy featuring that wacky lawyer from Breaking Bad. That's not what that show is and approaching the show on its own terms made it 100% more enjoyable.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

The_Rob posted:

I like how they're treating the show as if it's this new edgy sitcom. When in reality no one gives a gently caress about weed. Let alone legal weed. It's just loving weed. Call me when there is a sitcom about people selling opiates to bored teens and their moms.

https://youtu.be/vS5uI3a916o

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

nate fisher posted:

Big Band Theory

I never knew I wanted this show until right now. A Mad Men-esque prestige drama about not-Glenn Miller

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Was season 2 as unwatchable as people made it out to be? I still haven't got around to watching it, but I'd give it a chance if it was half as entertaining as the first season.

There was one really good episode that was filmed like a 50s noir or heist film. The rest was very slightly above average.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Tahani :swoon:

I have never been so attracted to a woman twice my height

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

The Blackcoat's Daughter
Is a good sleep aid
All that build up and no sense of who people are except one character makes the whole thing a belly flop

Burma Shave

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Hot take: All Bond movies are garbage but the more absurd Moore and Brosnan movies the least so. Every last one of them is a ridiculous male penisego-stroking fantasy but at least the absurd ones admit this. The worst offenders in the series are the ones that pretend to be dark and gritty and edgy and make some kind of claim to brutal realism or whatnot.

There's nothing dark or realistic about always available consequence-free sex with impossibly gorgeous women while wiping out infinite hordes of baddies and never facing any real risk or danger. "Oooh, James Bond gets tortured for a couple minutes in the latest movie! How grimdark!"

They're not dark, they're not gritty, they're not spy movies or thrillers or even action movies. They're firmly in the fantasy genre and it's not even good fantasy, it's the fever dream fantasy of a 13 year old boy.

OHMSS is the only Bond film that even kinda has consequences for James Bond and is one of the few worth watching. If the producers of the latest film have any balls and actually want to makes a film with seeing and worth talking about the solution is clear, especially with Daniel Craig's disdain for the franchise and it being his swan song: Bond dies in the end. They can even tie that in to the internet theory about James Bond being a code name for various agents. Make Bond a real character again instead of an invulnerable walking penis.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I haven't really seen any talk about it here but Alias Grace is pretty good. It didn't end the way I thought it would and I'm a bit confused about how some of the circumstances near the end played out or came to pass but it's still rattling around in my brain a week later so I think it's a success. And it's nice to see an actual one-and-done series instead of the cliffhanger-into-the-next-season formula.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Jolo posted:

I'd be curious to hear someone list something that was terrible when it came out but is good now. I can think of lots of examples that are the reverse of that but can't think of any that were bad and are now good just by virtue of time.

People really didn't like Willow when it came out and it's decently respected now.

But the best example I can think of is Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. It was savaged at release. Booed at Cannes. There were two more Twin Peaks films that were cancelled due to its harsh critical and box office reception. And now it's viewed as one of the most insightful and honest looks at incestual sexual abuse, as well as an awe-inspiring performance by Sheryl Lee. And some of the more incomprehensible Lynchiness has been decifered over the last couple of decades.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Smets posted:

The more I think about The Cloverfield Paradox, the more annoyed I am that they didn't even try to explain most of the things that happen. It's just weird stuff for the sake of being weird.

Why was the guy full of worms? Why was he also full of the missing ship gyro? Why did the ship chew off the guy's arm, but the arm was okay, it was crawling around on its own, and how did the arm know that the gyro was inside the other guy? The movie was just full of nonsense and not even Chris O'Dowd could make it good.

The movie is garbage and has more plot holes than any other film in recent memory.

Why don't they rotate scientists off during the mission? Even if they're the best in their respective fields, they won't be operating at anything like peak efficiency after being up there forever. And they were failing every test anyway. Why not rotate other capable scientists in and let the main crew get some R&R with their family. There's just no way they'd leave one team up there to fail over and over again for two years.

Water doesn't flash freeze in space. So, so dumb.

Weren't they on the other side of the sun from the Earth? So two Astronomical Units away? And they can shuttle to it in an hour or so? Really?

The jubilation at finding the Earth on the other side of the sun was absurd. They are now several orders of magnitude further away from the Earth than anyone has ever gone. It would take like a year+ for any rescue effort to possibly reach them.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

I was definitely baffled when I read reviews referring to TCP’s “Big name cast”. I recognized NONE of those people.

Not even Ziyi Zhang? She was in a lot of those Crouching Tiger style movies, including Crouching Tiger itself

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

Hey, name some good shows that I don't need to be stoned to enjoy.

Ozark is a decent show despite its clear heritage / homage to Breaking Bad.

Twin Peaks is essential watching, despite season 2's problems. S1-2 on Netflix, S3 on whatever streaming thing Showtime has.

Bloodlines S1 is one of the best shows I've ever seen up until the last 5 minutes, which left such a foul taste in my mouth that I never even tried S2. But just turn it off a few minutes before the end and you'll have an incredible experience assuming you like ultra slow burn shows.

Better Call Saul is one of the best character studies of all time. I bounced off of it at first as I went in with the expectation that it would be a dramedy featuring that wacky lawyer guy from BB. That's not what it is, at all. Go in with no expectations and let the show work on its own terms.

The Good Place is just a fun romp. It's a comedy and while it's funny at times it's more about just having fun with this group of people. It has the same tone and spirit as Kimmy Schmidt but is a better show imo.

The OA gets poo poo on a lot but I thought it was amazing. Yes, even that scene in the finale. It's great. It's a show about the power of belief vs doubt and the bonds that develop between people. It's dark and weird and intense and compelling and there's nothing quite like it. But, I'm a sucker for the narrative trope of the unreliable narrator

Jessica Jones is amazing.

Legion is amazing.

Mad Men is amazing.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Neo Yokio is one of those things where it's a pastiche of something but also really, really openly disdainful of the thing it's a pastiche of. Your opinion of it is probably gonna be inversely proportional to how much you actually like anime.

Huh, sounds like it's going to edge out The Wire for my favorite show

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Nailed It was very fun but it was so incredibly evocative of "Clash of the Cupcakes" that I wasn't sure if the whole thing was deep satire until the second episode.

I can't believe people are recommending this. It is so obnoxious, has the cringiest, lamest writing and quips from the hosts, all the very worst of reality show Foley effects and editing techniques. It's so, so bad, so lame. Enjoyable only by the lobotomized, or their mental equivalents.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Cosmic Horror-ish OR good psychological horror movie ala Jacob's Ladder or The Tenant on Netflix?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

I want to see a trashy prison escape or man on the run/escaped fugitive movie on Netflix or Amazon Prime. I found the Last Rampge, which seems way too serious for what I'm looking for - something that JCVD could star in, for example.

Prison Break season 3

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Sock The Great posted:

Exit Through the Gift Shop

This is essential viewing.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

/r/glitchinthematrix

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

So this isn't a thing to watch on streaming per se but a channel. If you have a Roku device or tv, add the Pluto channel. It is ad supported but it's still worthwhile. It's essentially like a (limited) cable subscription, with a couple dozen channels of mst3k, movies, sports, music, news, etc.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Coaaab posted:

Child actors are nearly never given enough credit. See: Hailee Steinfeld's Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination for True Grit.

Except when they're given too much credit. See: The Sixth Sense

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

lol i remember the insane hype that film had at the time. good thing that director never turned out to be a hack.

I'll defend that movie to the end. The plot is the just mechanism to explore what the movie is actually about, which is a compelling exploration of loss, grief, and acceptance. The twist aside, it's a really good film that is understated in all the right ways. Shyamalan really does have some good directing chops when he wants to.

I think his biggest mistake was putting a twist at the end of Unbreakable. I like that movie too but having a twist at the end of each movie effectively pigeonholed him into that being his thing and really hampered his future efforts.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t blame her. The average 9 year old has already had to read that terrible book in school.

What a boring, boring slog.

You probably didn't even like Where the Red Fern Grows :(

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Tainen posted:

I got the notification that The Staircase was added to Netflix. I would recommend it for people who like true crime documentaries.

It's a very compelling watch but is also extremely deceptively edited to push its viewpoint. When I read more about the case and the details left out of the series I was disgusted by how manipulative and deceitful it was.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

david_a posted:

In the moment I was actually hoping they would join up and go in a third direction to further kill off the past and bury the simplistic Good/Bad split but yeah that’s not what this franchise is about. I realized after the fact that what I really wanted out of this movie was something that completely destroyed what Star Wars is and turned it into something else which will never ever happen.

That's legit what I wanted to happen too. And for what it's worth, there is an entry in the greater SW canon that does kind of do this in the rpg KOTOR 2 -- a flawed but fantastic game.

But yeah, their tentpole movies are never going to take that kind of risk.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I’m able to be slowly getting through Vietnam, 15-20 minutes at a time before bed because there are actual people still alive to interview and there’s real footage of the war even in color! The Civil War one on the other hand should be outlawed by the geneva convention as a weapon of intentional cruelty.

You have to admit though that the one shot where a camera slowly pans over of a bunch of letters and photos as a narrator reads a letter is pretty legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

I watched it last night, and by the point they were trying to escape the apartment, I had somewhat rightly guessed what the big plot twist was.

I do have a question though, considering there were about five times the characters put themselves in danger because the one kid kept just panicking and freezing up... has there ever been a movie where a character has just gone ‘welp, sorry kid, can’t have you dragging everyone down!’?

Not that I’m rooting for a sniveling kid to get annihilated, but ‘kid freezes up, character puts themself in mortal danger’ is just a pretty easy-peasy way to add tension to scenes.

Haha there is actually a part in chapter 4 of The Walking Dead (the Telltale game) where this comes up. Useless idiot who keeps almost bringing about disaster is in danger and it's up to you to save him, or not. I let that fool die. no regrets.