Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Crying Fist belongs up next to Rocky and Raging Bull as one of the best boxing movies of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Amazon Prime is $67 today and today only in case anyone was on the fence about it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Spend 2 hours browsing titles but never watching anything, except now in Japanese

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

hemale in pain posted:

five elements ninjas is potentially the best movie I've ever seen.

"the very costumes and weapons in this film are based on japanese ancient catalogs and collections"

How about these chucklefuck "water ninjas" who come in paddling with the help of floaties and somehow paddle backwards fast enough to dodge spear thrusts. I swear they look like they're giggling to themselves underneath their ninja masks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
n/m

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

What's the gayest movie? Top Gun?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SxecELnxMYU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Nolanar posted:

What are some good Netflix-available tragedies, in the "protagonist gradually undone by their own flaws" sense? Movies and shows are both fine. Obvious examples: Breaking Bad, the Long Good Friday, various Shakespeare adaptations.

Master of None, if you don't mind a comedy.

Oldboy is fantastic (the original Korean one)

Lady Vengeance is also fantastic, although the ending is up to interpretation.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Just watched Peewee's Big Holiday is on Netflix. It's just okay as entertainment (not bad, just kind of lukewarm), but there is something really interesting going on with the subtext around Peewee's sexuality that they couldn't do in previous films and shows. I don't think it's an accident that the girls from Faster Pussycat Kill Kill show up partway through.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 12, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Jurassic Park has not stood the test of time in one respect that's not loving unix

Edit: I stand corrected, but I think it's still safe to put in the "didn't age well" column

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 3, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a891D5_bGY4

This is a hoot. Good visual comedy and twisty turns in the vein of The Nice Guys.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 4, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

I rented Girl With All the Gifts and I highly recommend it. Very highly.

Saw this last year at an advance screening and yeah, it was great.

There have been a lot of movies lately that go in somewhat unexpected narrative directions, and I like that they force me to think a little bit about why the story went where it did.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

tweet my meat posted:

Chapelle definitely has not lost his touch, the netflix specials are hilarious.

The OJ Simpson thing is a great example of how Chappelle can take things that aren't funny on paper and make them funny.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtW1Lq5c04E

Finally got around to seeing Look Who's Back, I guess it's been on Netflix for a year.

Hitler goes around talking to racist Germans and getting them to expose themselves as racist. I was expecting just a cheap aping of Bruno/Borat but it manages to have distinct and thoughtful story of its own.

When he talks to neo-nazis, they're obvious buffoons,

but it actually gets pretty depressing watching Hitler talk to regular people who say some disturbingly horrible poo poo.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 25, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Asnorban posted:

Is there a point where Better Call Saul feels like it was something that needed to be made? I watched the first 4 or 5 and kind of fizzled out because while it was well done I could never get past the feeling of "this doesn't need to exist" that kept hitting me.

Season one finale.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Maxwell Lord posted:

I was expecting Alison Brie to be good in GLOW (and it's one of her better performances) but I hadn't seen Betty Gilpin in anything and she's pretty strong too.

I never heard of Gilpin until American Gods and she's maybe one of the biggest scene stealers I've seen in my entire life

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Just watched Sour Grapes, I loved that the defense was basically shrugging and saying "hey cmon guys, it's just wine"

I also laughed at the investigator drinking a beer at the end

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

drunken officeparty posted:

I don't think I've ever actually seen Spam in real life before. What kind of trailer parks do you guys live in that it's actually a thing people eat.

America.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anyone else staying up to watch Okja?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think Netflix drops everything midnight Pacific since they're based out of California.

I'm gonna keep eating meat, but now I'll just cry while I do

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Tilda Swinton is a real life Mrs. potato head because you can put almost any face on her

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okja's coming at 8am. Go to sleep, everyone.

https://netflixlife.com/2017/06/26/new-on-netflix-okja-release-time-date/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okja is a movie of insane imagery.

I might make a thread later today to stop clogging this thread up

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Anyone got a trip report on Okja? On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is Cannibal Holocaust and 10 is My Neighbor Totoro, how cute is it?

Both.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okja thread here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825190

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

deoju posted:

Jackie Brown is on Amazon Prime.

There's something cool about seeing a 20+ year old movie that is a tribute to movies that were 20+ years old at the time.

Max shopping in a Sam Goody makes me feel as nostalgic as he does about the music he is buying.

A scene takes place in the mall theater on July 1st, 1995. I saw it at mall theater in the 90s... Today is July 1st.

Del Amo Fashion Center is now the fifth largest mall in America, and it looks pretty boring by mall standards now

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

a sexual elk posted:

They just sunk a couple hundred million into renovating del amo, now it looks like a giant art museum.

Okay just asked a friend, apparently half the mall looks amazing, the other half is still in 1985. The demarcation line is Macy's. I guess I only saw the time machine half.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Pycckuu, the only one with the insight to unlock the true meaning of bathroom scenes on film

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nice Guys is fantastic.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

hemale in pain posted:

five elements ninjas is potentially the best movie I've ever seen.

It's been a year and a half since this was posted but I'd like to alert everyone that Five Element Ninjas (aka Chinese Super Ninjas) has moved to Amazon Streaming, for the few of you who haven't already seen it. I hesitate to say it's one of the best kung fu movies of all time, but it's safe to say that it's the Shaw Brothersiest kung fu movie of all time. There are golden ninjas who use their golden shields to blind their enemies. There are tree ninjas who hide inside trees and wait for somebody to come close so that they can hug them to death. There are water ninjas who, I kid you not, enter paddling down the creek with the aid of loving floaties. I swear, it looks like they're giggling to themselves inside their costumes.

The leader of the ninjas shows up, and in front of his face he opens up a fan that literally says "ninja" on it in Chinese.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 12, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Did you recently watch Okja but think it was too happy and bonkers and want something more down-to-earth and soul-crushing from the same director? Maybe you want to see Memories of Murder, Bong Joon Ho's serial killer movie inspired by South Korea's first public serial killer panic in the 80's!

Instead of showing you a trailer here's an analysis video by Every Frame a Painting talking about how good the blocking is in this movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4seDVfgwOg

Full movie is on Youtube (officially by Viewster)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3tw66BBdDw

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

what if i thought it wasn't bonkers enough and was ambivalent on the question of happy

You should watch Memories of Murder anyways

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

I wish I could get into Master of None, I really do. But Aziz Ansari has always been a complete non-starter for me.

I like it overall but I don't blame anyone who can't get into it. Aziz feels like a cartoon person and a lot of the dialogue is stilted. It doesn't help that Angela Basset shows up for one episode and completely clowns everyone by showing them what a real actor is.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Oh, canistreamit fails me again

I've never gotten accurate results with them

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Wheelman was pretty good. Driving action isn't as satisfying or fun as other car chase movies because the camera sticks so close to the cars that you get the Batman Begins melee combat sensation. But they make up for it with great suspense and some really fun and playful cinematography.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah maybe they did it to save money on stunt driving scenes but they completely embrace the aesthetic and it helps see everything from his oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo perspective.

I think Children of Men did something similar in its car scenes with much success (although they didn't do it to save money because you can clearly see a big production going on outside the car in clear daylight)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Not on streaming, but The Raid.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

He said in the vein of No Reservations or Big Daddy. Otherwise, I would have recommended Chinatown

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

doctorthefonz posted:

I bounced off of Mindhunter after two episodes because all of the dialogue felt uncomfortably expository to such a degree that it was distracting. Does that change or at least eventually settle down? The Kemper actor seemed good, and I've always wanted to see him represented in film but it just felt boring in its predictability (being familiar with the real-life subject matter). The style is cool but the narrative feels weirdly rushed

Yeah it definitely has setupitis. I think it gets less expository as it goes along but it's always a little expository because it has to explain a lot of legal/psych concepts.

The strength of the show isn't in its murder mystery plots, it's in characterization. And where it diverges from the true story I think is some of its best stuff.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 29, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It's just there to ramp up the tension in their discussion.

Fincher seems to like having an important discussion go on while something else urgent is slapping you in the face on screen. Remember when Holden is on the phone and finding out the Kemper tried to kill himself, while at the same time being distracted by seeing Tench, Carr and Shepard walking out of the room together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Hubbardologist posted:

Started Season 2 of Stranger Things. Three episodes in, and I'm feeling like it's not bad, and I'll enjoy watching the rest. Not feeling compelled to burn through it like the first season, probably because the plot is a lot less compelling and there's much less mystery. Still really enjoying the soundtrack, and the actors do good work with their characters.

I was yawning a lot until I got to episode 4 which suddenly got more interesting. Hopefully it picks up from here.