Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
We Are the Best is a fun and good movie on Netflix US. It's about two 13 year old Swedish girls who start a punk band even though they can't play any instruments. The girls are likable and the acting is very believable. Overall a cute movie and an easy watch.

If you have Amazon Prime, Starred Up is a gritty British prison movie about a teenager who gets "starred up" from the juvenile prison to the adult prison. His dad is there and played by Ben Mendleson who is awesome, as is the guy who plays the main kid. Very tense and propulsive but it's a drama at heart.

Also on Amazon Prime is The Rover, an Australian post apocalyptic western starring Guy Pearce and Robert Pattinson. Some dudes steal Pearce's car and he tracks them down with Pattinson's help. Slowish paced with bursts of shocking violence and they all wear ratty t-shirts and tennis shoes which I feel is a nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

fenix down posted:

How is The Homesman?

Not bad. The performances are good and it's nice to look at, some might find it slow. There's a gun on the poster but it's a bleak and mostly quiet drama.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Can anybody recommend some recent-ish inspirational movies that leave the viewer feeling good, for example The Martian and Creed. Streaming or not is ok. This week sucks.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

I just realized that Spectre is on Amazon Prime Video. Did that get added alongside the other Bond flicks? I heard mixed things about it. If I liked the other Craig bond films is it worth a watch?

IMO any Craig Bond movie is worth at least one watch, but I think in general it's regarded as kind of a whiff. It has it's defenders though so give it a shot.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Any word on the video quality of this before I give them my credit card number? As a white millennial dipshit I do love Blaxploitation but the vast majority of what's out there seems to be VHS quality and even at $4 a month that ain't worth paying for.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

precision posted:

Sicario is amazing but don't do what I did and try to watch it in bed while you're really tired. I accidentally fell asleep and had to watch it again this morning.

e: by which I mean to say, it's more quiet/low-key than one might presume from its plot.

Sicario (on Amazon Prime) was riveting and had me glued to the screen. And I have a low tolerance for "deliberately paced" movies.

Did anyone hear the news that the old Robert Stack narrated Unsolved Mysteries will be coming to Netflix by the end of the year? I can't be the only person here excited about this.

Hat Thoughts posted:

How's Brown Sugar?

Seconding this question. Specifically how's the video quality?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Looking for something mysterious with a dark atmosphere to watch on this snow day. Doesn't have to be horror on anything but horror is fine. I was thinking the wailing but I'm not sure I'm in the mood for 2.5 hours and subtitles.

Have you seen Cold in July? It's a noir-ish mystery that takes place in Texas in the 80's. A guy shoots a burglar in his home and the dead guy's father comes after him and it goes from there. There's much more too it but I don't want to give anything away. Stars Michael C Hall, Don Johnson, and Sam Shepard. Also has one of those synth scores that are pretty trendy.

Note lots of this movie takes place during the day time so it's very dark in tone and subject matter but not necessarily in the literal sense.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Gangs of New York is a little frustrating because it's a good movie that has a great movie hidden somewhere inside of it. IMO if it were edited down by about a half-hour it could be considered top-tier Scorsese.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

People with Amazon Prime should check out Remember. Christopher Plummer plays a survivor of Auschwitz who, after his wife dies, goes hunting for the SS officer who murdered his family. It also features Martin Landau, Dean Norris, Henry Czerny, and Bruno Ganz. Plummer and Landau are great and it's very tense throughout.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

The world is inarguably a better place without him so I'm glad he's dead but I really wanted to see how this would all play out. He lost a lot of his power once the spotlight was on him and his blustering in The Tickle King made it look like he was at least partially aware of that, but he was such a complete prick that was gonna go down flailing anyway. That look of "Are you hearing this?! We got him!" when Dylan said he supports gay rights sure was something.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

LOL people still get pissy if their loving anime movie* doesn't strictly adhere to the source material?

*60 second teaser for an as of yet unseen anime movie

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

The Discovery popped up on Netflix within the past few days, anyone watched it yet? It has a hell of a cast.

I watched it and liked it. The ending it majorly rushed and pretty unsatisfying but hey, movies are more than just their endings so overall I enjoyed watching it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

For me the best moment in Creed is when the fighters enter the arena for the final fight. I was like, drat, this is this guy's second film?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Also Don't Think Twice is on Netflix. If you have any interest in a group of sad improv comedians trying to come to terms with their failures in the wake of a member becoming successful, give it a shot, it's a wonderful movie. Written and directed by Mike Birbiglia. Great cast with fun cameos, too.

The first three or so minutes of this where the group gets loose were excruciatingly precious and then when they were on stage things got even worse. Probably the fastest I've ever bailed on a movie.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Simplex posted:

I'd recommend giving it another shot, but going in I think you need to adjust your expectations. Despite having some funny people in it, it's a movie about the business, not so much a comedy. There are funny parts, but not really from the stage material which isn't really meant to be funny. If it was, they wouldn't all be struggling comedians trying to get their big break.

I was definitely expecting an indie dramedy and not a comedy, but the thing with those types of movies is that if the characters don't work for you then it's hard to care about anything else that happens. I got the impression from the opening minutes that we were supposed to be witnessing *something special* but hey, I only watched a few minutes so what do I know. Mike Birbiglia's whole style just turns me off.

Also WTF people still watch Orange is the New Black?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

BrainDance posted:

You guys like Bosch? My therapist recommended it to me for some reason so maybe there's something he wants me to see in it to like, be a better person. But I don't wanna sit through something real boring you know?

Yeah it's pretty solid.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Another white guy here who likes Spam. Fry it in a pan along with a pineapple ring, then put it on a burger bun with mayo, sriracha, melted Swiss, a fried egg, and lettuce, tomato, and onion if you want.

Also I'm almost done with GLOW and I'm loving it so far. Maybe my favorite Netflix series. It's one of the few dramady-type show that manages to be laugh out loud funny and not just "huh, that's funny". It's weirdly touching, too.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

If you have Amazon Prime I recommend checking out We Are Still Here. It's a fun little Fulchi-esque (or so I'm told) horror movie about an older couple who moves into a New England house that has ghosts. I'd compare it to Ouija: Origin of Evil in that it doesn't reinvent the wheel or anything but it's pretty solid and doesn't overstay it's welcome. Also Barbara Crampton and Larry Fessenden are in it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

The second act of Interstellar is great but the other two fall flat for me, but I know I'm in the minority being lukewarm on Nolan anyways.

Thanks for whoever recommend Goliath on Amazon, I'm only two episodes in but I'm really into it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Netflix has been just making GBS threads out shows at a crazy pace and it feels like "here's another one, throw it on the pile." Amazon has a few clunkers too but there's a lot less to wade through to find the good stuff. Also they have A24 films which is good as hell.

Also I finished Goliath and really liked it. I'm not usually a Billy Bob Thorton fan but I really liked his character in this. At first it seemed like they were going for the tired "heartless bastard who does the right thing in the end" thing but his character wasn't really that at all and I found it refreshing. Patty also really grew on me, and almost all of the characters seemed like real, three dimensional people, probably because the acting was so strong.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 21, 2017

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Death Note was good but then again I'm not a huge dweeb who's obsessed with manga so I was able to enjoy a fun movie for what it was.

Also The Good Shepard is a really great forgotten Matt Damon film, available on Starz if you have it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Fargin Icehole posted:

Friends of mine recommended the anime a while back, but I never really did care for it.

Now that I watched the Death Note movie, I actually really enjoyed it, and it makes me want to see if the anime is good. I think the casting was great, and I was already frustrated that earlier trailers were downvoted all to hell just because anime fans were threatened by "my god, other entertainment forms have the balls to live action my ANIME?!"

I mean poo poo dude, it's not fuckin' Dragonball the movie.

Nearly every criticism Death Note I've seen has been "well in the manga..." or "Ryuk should have been..." or "they changed X to Y and it makes noooooo thematic sense with the original..." and not about what's actually in the film. IMO Hollywood is suffering from a lack of pretty-solid-but-not-mind-blowing movies and this one seems to fit the bill perfectly.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Did I miss the discussion on The Blackcoat's Daughter on Amazon because that movie is good as hell.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

magnificent7 posted:

The Blackcoat's Daughter

I thought the movie tied itself up pretty well when it was all over, but your post made me think I missed something so I watched one of those YouTubes and nope, I got it all the first time. The moment I realized it was two separate times was when James Remar showed Emma Roberts the picture of his dead daughter and then I realized who Emma Roberts turns out to be when Kiernan Shipka murders the nuns.

I'm also not sure what you mean when you say "the village was in the present day, not the past." The boarding school was in the past.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Ohvee posted:

He's saying that it's similar to recommending two other movies without giving away the ending/key detail like, for "Sixth Sense" and "The Village," respectively.

Ohhhhh. I didn't put that together because I guess I never really thought of The Blackcoat's Daughter as a gotcha! movie. In those above two movies, nothing in the movies themselves tells you to look out for the big reveal until it happens. In The Blackcoat's Daughter the director is stingy enough with the details that for a large portion of the movie you know you don't have the full picture and are waiting to see how it comes together.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Django Unchained is way more of a blaxploitation movie than Jackie Brown.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I stopped watching The Good Place after 5 episodes, I was so bored.

Should I try again?

Nah. I gave up around that time too. After hearing people rave about it so much I figured if I wasn't into it by then I never would be.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

I was rolling my eyes at the plot contrivances and trying to convince my girlfriend (who loves those sitcom tropes) to finish watching the show without me, but it was so worth it in the last episode.

There's waaay too much good TV and movies out there to sit through 13 episodes of an unfunny (to me) comedy just to get to some "tada!" moment at the end. I got things to do, man.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I started off not really feeling Brawl in Cell Block 99 but by the end I was having fun and was glad I stuck with it. Lots of the dialog in the beginning was pretty clunky and un-natural and amateurish (e.g. when he finds his wife chopping vegetables and says "what are you doing, you could hurt yourself" are we supposed to believe five months into her pregnancy that this is the first time she's ever cooked anything? Or the cutesy dialog about the pool room.) stuff like that, where it feels like a couple more passes at the script could have smoothed a lot of that stuff out.

The overly long setup to get him in jail could have been tightened up as well.

It also bothered me that all the prison guards were carrying guns all over the place. It's certainly not a realistic movie otherwise but everyone knows prison guards don't carry guns around like that and it doesn't add anything to the story or the fight scenes. Or maybe they could have just saved them for Don Johnson and the crazy jail and not had them in the more realistic first jail.

Overall I liked it but it has major script issues that really ham-string the movie and should have been fine tuned.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Where is it streaming?

Amazon Prime

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

red19fire posted:

I liked it well enough. Jon Bernthal is great in everything, and the rest of he cast is solid character actors.

The trailer seems to give away every major story beat of the movie, is there to it than that?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Martman posted:

Altered Carbon is giving me very strong Stranger Thing vibes, and that's not a good thing for me. It feels like a syrupy paste of visual references slathered over pretty bog standard TV writing and I am just not getting where the rave reviews are coming from. I'm four episodes in and I think I'm gonna finish, but it just seems to waste tons of time every episode on pretty hackneyed pointless dramatic outbursts.

I'm with you, it's being pretty much praised universally but it could pass for some cheesy CBS Friday night show from six years ago.

It feels like the Blade TV show mixed with the George Clooney Batman movie.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Martman posted:

I actually got some serious Batman and Robin vibes from the zero gravity fight scene at the rich guy's house but I figured it was just me.

I first noticed it during the cage match with the two monster things running around in foam costumes growling and grunting like Bane.

Also the title sequence is a rip-off of Westworld.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Creed is on Amazon, so is The Big Sick.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 17, 2018

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

gently caress that. I love podcasts because I love the material they talk about, and the banter that goes back and forth. However, if my brain is capable of parsing the information at 1.5 or 2x speed, then there's no reason I should have to waste my hours on this planet listening to it at normal speed.

I can understand the same 99% Invisible podcast in 11 minutes as I can 22. I shouldn't have to hold my life hostage because Roman Mars talks a bit slow.

There's no achievement for "Completing the Netflix Catalog," but there's also no achievement for "Sitting for 50 hours watching <media>," either. So I don't see what your issue is if the same media can be enjoyed in 35. That's entirely subjective and something you can't force other people to feel bad about, or whatever-the-gently caress your goal is by whinging about whatever-the-gently caress it is you are about.

It's your life, dude, but your posts on this subject are dripping with subtext that says "well sorry that my brain just works faster than yours" and that isn't likely to garner you any support.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Nah, that's not what I intended, and I can totally see it now in hindsight. And I'm not trying to convince anybody to do it, more defend myself against people that say it's impossible or whatever.

Plenty of people do weird harmless bullshit from time to time, but if you laugh it off and say "yeah, I guess it is a little weird" then most people will let it go as well.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I would not be surprised if a lot of these docu-series start out as movies and somewhere down the line someone with the money decides that they have to be turned into a series because that's what's popular, even if the content isn't really there. That one about the CIA throwing a dude out of a window sure felt that way.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Phew, I'm glad I gave up on AD two episodes into that dumb rear end forth season.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Alps was the only movie of his that fell flat for me.

Also, new season of Goliath is out on Prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

old.flv posted:

two ep's into the first season of Goliath and I like it so far - does this get bad? This seems like a show that starts off well and then falls apart.

I really liked it all the way through.