Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

germskr posted:

Question about correcting a senior person (LDO).

So this guy is all about uniform regulations and whatnot, which is fine but he stopped someone the other day and was hemming them up about attention to detail, etc. I couldn't help but notice his MA badge was not according to regulations (flush to the US Navy tape if it's the cloth badge, 1/4 inch if it's metal- and he's wearing the cloth with the 1/4 inch gap.) Normally I don't care about things like that but I thought it was ironic that he was correcting someone when he himself was not in accordance with regulations. How does one go about "correcting" a senior person who thinks he's God's gift to the Navy?

Sounds like a douche, anonymous tip to the CO is what I would do if I dislike the guy.

If he isn't a douche, tell your chief about it if you don't want to tell him yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

germskr posted:

Yeah the CO thing is a gay way to go about it. I'd say it to his face, but he'd probably take it the wrong way. He "and halt"ed a guy in his division who saw him walking up and turned to go in to a building without saluting, but he was definitely 30 paces away.

I was mostly being sarcastic, apparently I fail at humor.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Strangely enough it looked to be about 50% boy/girl with a good mix of races representatin! Brought a tear to my eye that alcohol abuse in the navy really knows no race/gender lines.

:911:

Global force for Booze.

Serjeant Buzfuz fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 12, 2015

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I don't see the problem here????

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Arione posted:

going to 8 months of IT C and then the ship, really dont want to drop 1k on a laptop tho.

A good gaming laptop is worth it IMO if you're stationed on a ship. Desktops are rarely viable. My shop had a shop desktop that one of my sailors owned but there is no way we could have supported multiple people bringing desktops onboard.

Plus, a laptop can be used in your rack. I used one of those padded blue folders they put awards in as a mouse pad in my rack, works loving great.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

UoI posted:

Also playing Shogun 2 while at sea could be p rad.

This guy knows whats up already.

edit: Actually the most popular multiplayer game in my shop was Sins of a Solar Empire for a whole deployment. Top 10 RTS games ever in my book.

Serjeant Buzfuz fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 11, 2015

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

UoI posted:

Oh cool, I was hoping for the couple people dorm. I guess I'll just splurge out for a laptop after basic; it's better than nothing. As long as the screen is huge and I buy a separate mouse and keyboard it wouldn't be so bad.

Also what's Alpha?

I've gone through three gaming laptops in the last 7 years and for my money ASUS is the best for a desktop replacement. The G series is what I would look at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232202&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSUNICMRMZEK-_-34-232-202-_-Product

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

What the gently caress, its just hanging there in the air? Doesn't look right to me.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

That sounds like a good idea, so what do you think the chances of it happening anytime soon are?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

LOL, warfare pins are dumb and everyone knows it. Just suck it up and qualify that poo poo so people don't think you're a raging shitbag. Unless that's your goal.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Navy Thread: I'm just here for the bitching

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Howard Phillips posted:

Punishment continues. Shoulda been P-3/P-8 pilot.

Only saving grace for Norfolk is closer to family and friends.

Chic's beach ain't bad but that's a long drive to NOB from there.

Ghent is the nice side of town.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Pandasmores posted:

How do you qual for something and not know it though?

This is normal though?

Kawasaki Nun posted:

ahahahhahahahahahhaha

Is probably the only appropriate response.

I qualified DC 301-322 with maybe only about 10% of the requisite knowledge because qualifiers in the Navy are either lazy, incompetent or both.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Seems like every drat corner has a CPO selectee car wash thing going on.

Where does all that car wash money go anyways? Don't CPOs get a uniform allowance?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

If they would just say that up front, I wouldn't be so upset.

Real talk though, why doesn't all that cash go to charity or something?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

krispykremessuck posted:

I like working for the Navy, but every day I'm really glad I'm not in the Navy.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Everyone taking part in every foreign port sea and anchor is either still drunk or horribly hung over.

Hey, we have to keep our traditions going don't we?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

bengy81 posted:

Probably as well as the guy who was gonna open a bar so he had a place to drink with his buddies every night.

Is that how Paddy's Pub started?

Serjeant Buzfuz fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 3, 2015

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Hrm. It's a system admin class for IT. I'll have to take a second look because all I got shown was Hampton Roads.

90% sure that would be at Dam Neck, which is about 30 minutes from NOB.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

That was pretty good.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Pandasmores posted:

Kind of want to make it my av.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Commoners posted:

I have also made 1st. E2 to E6 in this command.

The only months I'm going to be getting paid for first is my two months of terminal leave. :getin:

I got paid for E6 starting the day prior to my EAOS.

At least it's on my DD-214 for the inevitable WWIII with Putin and Co. If I'm gonna get drafted, might as well get paid.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you care more about the content after the conclusion of the email than the content in the email you're a giant dickbag.

Gonna use that as my email quote.

v/r,
Lou Takki
Important Title One
Important Command
Phone
Phone

"If you care more about the content after the conclusion of the email than the content in the email you're a giant dickbag."

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Edit: To elaborate on the laughter above...

Sounds like Iran has 10 US sailors in custody.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/13/world/middleeast/iran-holds-us-navy-boats-crew.html?referer=

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Agreed.

Everyone's beard itches at first because your face isn't accustomed to the hair. That goes away after about a week (and if you aren't a giant pussy). Also when you get a bit more than a 5 o'clock shadow you should start conditioning with at least a beard oil. I use a balm sometimes but prefer the oil because of how soft an luxurious it feels throughout the day.

Yeah, just gotta give it a little care and the beard becomes normal real fast.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Anita Dickinme posted:

Sure thing. I'm not too worried about it but I got a pretty cool Chief so we'll see.

Sorry for not being more clear.

What you should do is take a bottle of liquor down to your nearest navy recruiter and walk out with a 5 day leave credit letter.

It worked for me in 2012, I assume it still works that way?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

vrath posted:

Once I retire I will. I enjoy being in the navy. Probably because I was raised in a cult.

Stockholm syndrome is strong in this one.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

What is up with that superstructure/wind sail? Is that some sort of concealment for coming into port or actually just made that way?

That ship has scaffolding and wrapping just like if they were in the shipyard or similar.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Wikipedia posted:

...the fifth Royal Navy ship to carry this name

Amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

There isn't much worse than waking up at to a dead silent ship.

Been out for 2.5 years now and I still get nightmares about this occasionally.

• Locked thread