Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I've got this thing, it fun. I need to sell it to make space and free up fun money.

Been daily driving it lately. Very comfortable and people seem to love seeing an old car like this being driven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

655321 posted:

1985 930 Turbo Euro Spec with 36k miles. I've posted it before but, you know, Porsche thread.

Was hoping you would post that, my favorite car in AI. Just beautiful and the perfect Porsche IMO.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd love to own an air-cooled '78-'89 but with the way that market is going, that will probably be... never.

I learned to drive a manual in Dad's '78 Targa...what a car. Sadly he sold it off shortly after I graduated college so I didn't have the money to buy it off him. We're in contact with the current owner and first in line when he goes to sell.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Have been meaning to post for a while but I'm also shopping for 987 S but the cayman variant for a DD that sees 2-4 track days a year. 987.2 is ideal but they're a bit harder to find and at the upper range of my budget so I'm trying to figure out what upgrades people would consider required to track a 987.1 on R-comps. Seems like added cooling, deep sump pan, IMS fix and maybe a swirl pot are the key things people are doing.

Still need to do some test drives because I'm also considering a 996, 997 or even an older 911.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

dema posted:

I've got one of these and love it: https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/continental-tr7412ub-or
Bluetooth works well and it goes great with older Porsche interior. At least it does with my 996.

That's what I have in the E28, way better than the hideous thing the PO put in.

edit: was wrong have Kienzle MCR 1016 BT in the E28, similar colors and look but different layout. Bought it via ebay UK

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 13, 2021

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Might be because it starts at 1.353,74 €

https://www.classicshop.porsche.com...1164559000.html

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Other than being an early 2006, suspect IMS, and 96k miles anyone see any red flags on this Cayman S? http://www.buycbb.com/Details-9666-Used-2006-PORSCHE-Cayman-S-Near_Scottsdale_AZ--WP0AB29806U780151

One of the first I've seen with most of the options I want: manual, PASM, sport wheel, sport chrono, bose and bi-xenon. Would prefer sport seats but they seem stupidly rare.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 24, 2021

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

BigPaddy at this point I'm still trying to decide if I wait for a 987.2 in my spec, buy a cheaper 987.1 or hold out for a 911SC or older air cooled. If you're looking for an excuse to go for a drive I'd appreciate it but don't go out of your way.

Slidebite you're right, that front does look mismatched. Carfax is clean which doesn't mean poo poo and the thing has been through five owners. For 96k that bumper is lacking normal wear and tear I'd expect, wonder if at some point someone did a quick respray. Also that site took a half hour for the car to even appear, it's garbage.

I wonder what the little switch under the parking brake handle is connected to.

edit: There's also this one which isn't on their website but exact same spec (according to vinanylitics) https://spokane.craigslist.org/ctd/d/tacoma-2006-porsche-cayman-coupe-cayman/7325466325.html 59k miles, $30k

edit edit: I am still waiting for a friend to figure out a price and get back to me on a 70's 2.7L car. I have no idea what price he's going to come in at and if it'll even be in my budget. It'll also be much worse as a daily drive but I love the old cars.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 24, 2021

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

making GBS threads themselves when it comes to maintenance.
That isn't a reassuring thought.

Looks like maybe those options aren't as rare as I thought digging through FB marketplace, they just aren't usually listed. Easy enough to go through a ton of listing and ignore anything that isn't manual and doesn't have the PASM button. I still need to drive one before I think about a fly-n-drive or having a car shipped.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 24, 2021

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Local BMW dealership got a 2007 Cayman S in on trade so I finally got to test drive one. Other than sticky buttons and way longer clutch throw than I was expecting I really liked it. Cayman S went from consolation Porsche if I can't find a pre-89 car to a very real contender. Was only able to do a few cloverleafs, a little back roads and a run down the interstate but I liked it a lot.

Asking in general but got off on a technicality I know you tracked your cayman and it looked like you had PASM in a couple of the track day thread pics you posted. For a car serving double duty is PASM worth holding out for? I'm going to ask around and see if I know anyone with a PASM car I can take for a spin.

Car I drove - https://www.graysonbmw.com/used/Porsche/2007-Porsche-Cayman+S-knoxville-b73b39380a0e09b1629d9cbef3bab9e0.htm ($34k, 44k miles, low spec)

edit: Is there anything else in the <$50k that I should look at that would be comparable? Am slightly considering Alfa 4c or an Elise.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 1, 2021

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

$50k is absolute highest I'm willing to go, I'd be much happier to find something in the 30-40k range. Elise/Exige is a different type of car for sure and if I was doing a ton of track days I might consider it but I also have the FF1600 race car so I don't need something that hardcore. In my budget there's occasionally an Alfa 4c but that's another car I haven't been able to test drive. Every review and friend I've talked to has also given the edge to the Cayman over the 4c.

Speaking of PSS9 on the street there is this car which seems pretty well prepared but is probably too much for primarily a DD- https://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/cto/d/garrisonville-2007-porsche-cayman-6/7325649688.html

I'm seeing a lot of early delivery 2006 silver on black cars with the following options in the 22-28k range. It is kind of tempting to grab one of these, do the basic track reliability mods and drive the hell out of it. Haven't seen any with the auto climate which I would really like to have.

BigPaddy posted:

Considering that Cayman is the same gen as my Boxster the clutch feeling long might be something to check. As for anything else under 50k sports car wise https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/845698761
Link doesn't work for me.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

willroc7 posted:

Is there a good way to search fb marketplace nationwide? I've been using searchtempest for cl but it's been pretty dead ever since they started charging the $5 to list. Any other good places to look?
http://facebook-marketplace-us-nationwide-search.gmoz.biz/ Nationwide FB search

Think I found my next car, way out in Washington state but it checks all the boxes.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

987.1 Cayman S, motorsport AOS or regular and carry a spare? I'm likely buying a higher mileage, dealer maintained, 2006 CS today and putting together a list of things to do right away. There's a slim chance I'll be headed to the track in July so while I'm doing an oil change I'm going to put on a baffled deeper sump and replace the AOS.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

BigPaddy posted:

If you think you are going to track it then put the Motorsport AOS on. Going to do all the other usual things like the GT3 brake ducts?

I'll be doing the whole list of track stuff before I go to dedicated track tires. If I run it in July I'd be on basic performance street tires, might do the 3rd radiator as well since it'll be hot as hell. Sounds like CMP turn 12 has a reputation as a M96/97 killer.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

willroc7 posted:

I have to make the call today.
Buy it then we can be June 4th Porsche buying buds :hfive:

Now I need to decide if I do a fly-n-drive with my Dad, 2400mi and 36hr, or have it shipped.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 4, 2021

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I've done four fly-n-drive...

1977 320i - CA to WI to TN. Car had seen about 500 miles a year previous to our trip, we drove it 3000 miles through a blizzard and lots of issues.

1988 325is - mountains of West Virginia to southern MN. Got pulled over for no plate and wasted four hours waiting for DMV to open.

1988 M3 - New Jersey to TN was uneventful.

1988 M5 - Maryland to TN also uneventful.

Due to current health BS fly-n-drive would be unwise at the moment so I'll probably ship it. Dad's offered to do the whole drive solo but that seems kind of unwise. Car needs tires before any serious driving anyway.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Huh, good to know. I always wondered what the correct way to bring cash through was.
When I bought the M3 I brought a cashiers check for the majority of the amount then flew with $5k in my jacket pocket because we hadn't agreed on a final price yet. TSA didn't care or didn't notice it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

willroc7 posted:

I’ve done the thing. I had to drive it home through torrential downpours, making for some white knuckling, but I made it. The airbag light cleared during the PPI has not come back and the mechanic thought the tires have 5-10k more in them so… the car is perfect and needs nothing?
Congratulations!

Mine should be picked up tomorrow evening or Friday and start it's 2400+ mile journey across the country.

edit: Well crap driver thinks the car is too low to load safely

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 10, 2021

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

willroc7 posted:

Well then what will they do? At least they aren’t scraping the poo poo out of it.
That carried backed out so the broker is looking for a new one. The driver tore the bumper off a R8 last month so he was a little gun shy. I appreciate him being careful and not wanting to mess up the car even if it means the car takes a little longer to reach me.

I'll be 'daily' driving mine for the one or two days a week I'm on site as well as using it for errands and anything else. Probably won't see many road trips more than a few hours because we have the Highlander for that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Go to harbor freight and grab a smaller torque wrench? Their 1/4" one goes down to 20ftlb which is pretty close to 26Nm. I grabbed a small one a couple years ago and have used it more than I thought I would.

Used the LN Engineering drain plug to pull a metal splinter out of my hand yesterday, magnet seems good. Have that as well as the Bilt 2qt sump, Bilt skid plate and LN spin on adapter ready for my first oil change next weekend. Sending off for oil analysis as well. Car is set to arrive sometime this week Tues-Thurs.

edit: Pilot Sport 4S still pretty much the go to performance commuter tire? Rears are nearing end of life so I'll probably take advantage of July 4th deals and replace all four.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 20, 2021

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ranzear posted:

Depends entirely where you are and when you drive and what you mean by 'commuter'. Seattle can drop to 40-45 entirely at random which is sketchy to damaging for silly spec summers, or even just going over the passes in spring or fall, and my Cayman is my daily. That's why I went with the Conti DWS06 Plus. Way more treadwear rating and allegedly way quieter too. I'd call it less of an 'all season' tire and more of an 'all temperature' tire, but outstanding in the rain. Search directly by size instead of vehicle and bump the section by 10 if you need to, just as far as will fit on your rims anyway.
Very true, I should have been more specific about use and environment. I'll take a look at the DWS06. But my use is daily as well as mountains/backroads once or twice a month, Knoxville so mostly hot but decent amount of rain and winters mostly in the 40s with occasional days down to 20s.

Got a text from the driver as we were meeting up for Father's Day brunch that he would be arriving around 8pm last night. Good thing I sold an engine Saturday because I'm not sure how else I would have come up with the cash on a Sunday. Rural TN an enclosed transport in a walmart parking lot draws a lot of attention. He had to unload a T-bucket type hotrod, late 60's Mustang, new Corvette and a 50's Chevy coupe to get to the Cayman. By the time he got to mine there were several people watching and circling the lot, all the sketchiest looking people of course. We stuck around for him to load up then headed home. Imgur is being stupid so I'll get a picture up here later. Car is pretty filthy, needs a good detail and some new tires.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

It's filthy and needs new tires but it is a lot of fun. 2006 CS with 92.6k miles on it, shipped from WA and arrived Sunday evening.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

:siren:DO NOT BUY A CAR WITHOUT A PPI, ESPECIALLY A PORSCHE:siren:

That being said I bought this car without a PPI due to the sellers location and distance from reputable shops. We did multiple whatsapp video calls and I had a decent amount of pictures. Also had a friend in the area test drive it and look it over, he's not a car guy but better than nothing. Even with that we had a big surprise at the post-purchase inspection I just got home from...

Appears the car has a nice set of Bilstein PSS10B16? installed which might explain the ground clearance issues.

Car checked out great other than shot tires and a leaking washer fluid tank, both I was aware of. Clutch is making a little noise but barely noticeable and tech said drive it until it starts to bug you.

Definitely looking into mesh inserts for the radiators, will probably add when I put in the third radiator.

edit: I also talked with the dealership he had it serviced at, 3.5 hours away, where he brought it in every six months to have everything checked over.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 13, 2021

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

I think what I really want is a more dedicated track car like a Miata, but I'm kidding myself on how much I'd use it.
Look around and see if there's a company that rents spec miatas or something, I know there's a few on the East coast and a friend runs one in the midwest. There has got to be something similar out there. A few of the track day organizations have teamed up with rental companies as well so all you do is show up and drive. Dad's done it for a few SCCA race weekends and a few friends without space or mechanical aptitude do it a few times a year.

Went for a short drive yesterday, not much traffic and beautiful weather.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

dema posted:

Never heard of "RPM Technik’s CSR programme" but this is one clean looking 996.1:
https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2001-porsche-911-996-carrera-csr

That thing is really clean, I love the seat inserts. Remember looking at a company that makes those in a ton of colors and patterns but can't remember what it was now.

edit: Found it https://p1designs.com/

edit 2: New tire day, went with the Conti DWS06+. Much quieter than the very worn out stuff that was on it, can't comment on grip or anything else yet.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 29, 2021

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ranzear posted:

Be sure to scrub them in good :coffeepal:

Open track at the local kart/drift track Saturday. I'll go out for a bit so I can safely get a feel for the car on edge and in a slide, was hoping for rain but it doesn't look like I'm going to be that lucky.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

What's the recommended service manual for 987.1 cars? I did find this collection of PDFs https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q6m481udo92ndyb/AABm3tMd17XPctH0ABa9agMua?dl=0 but I'd really like a hard copy version for the garage.

Oil change and deep sump install this weekend.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Motronic posted:

Part#948-602-104-22

That is literally the current part number for my ignition coils. I think I have -14s.
:stonklol:

Local PCA chapter is having a driving tour followed by a gathering for food, wine and music next weekend. Not too interested in the gathering but might do the driving tour and hope to be 'stuck' near some old air cooled beauties.

Have put about Have put about 1k miles on the Cayman since it arrived. Waiting on some gaskets to replace the leaky windshield washer tank and I need to get some tint applied because black on black and TN summer is bad.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Seeing what ever non-S 987 are going for on BaT and listed is nuts but encouraging. Pretty sure I could offload it for a decent profit if I needed to. But AC 911s are going for even crazier money and that's about the only thing I'd sell the cayman for at the moment.

Radiator screens arrived a couple hours ago. Not sure if I'll wait until I do the third radiator or just install the side ones now.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ceramic coatings are so nice, quick wipe down looks like you spent a day detailing. Did it on the E30 when I bought it and seven or eight years later it still looks amazing.

Agree that black with tan is a really nice combo. My black on black looks nice but it's hot as hell and I would have preferred a tan or whatever that rare-ish dark brown interior option was.

Doing a driving tour with the local club Saturday, need to give mine a quick wash and maybe polish/wax/coat the headlights if I have time.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Bajaha posted:

I'm very happy I took the plunge on the Martini graphics.

Now excuse me while I clogg up this thread with some photos.

:perfect: That looks great, really nice photos too.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Red top was a good choice, doesn't look like it was too bad of a job.

Wrenching on a modern-ish Porsche (2006) isn't bad even with the engine in the middle of the car but I imagine the newer you go the more of a pain it is. It certainly isn't as easy as 70s and 80s cars I'm usually fighting with. Then for anything you don't feel like doing or are uncomfortable doing find a good local independent shop. I have a friend that worked at a Porsche race prep shop out of trade school and does mechanic work on the side. Sure I won't have "certified Porsche shop" receipts but it's a 15 year old car with 94k miles.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

got off on a technicality posted:

So I went and did a thing
That's a good thing

Friend stayed at the house over the past week to take care of the dogs, I told him he could drive the cayman while he was here if he wanted. Looks like he burned about a tank and a half driving it into work every day and probably to the mountains or something. Now he's thinking about selling his ZHP E46 to help fund a cayman purchase. He's going to come back when he has some time and do some paint correction, might have him apply a ceramic coating.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

If you're feeling the urge I'd replace all the plastic bushings then toss some new factory or factory equivalent shocks on it. Should tighten it back up to near new levels without causing too much strain on the wallet.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Looks like it's on the original shocks in the rear

And then boom, some unexpected PO fuckery

The front shocks had been replaced with S shocks at some point, and the front of the car was sitting about half an inch taller than the rear. So stiff in front, soft in the rear, a real winning combination for a 911 :thumbsup:

Brilliant combo! PSS10s (B16) is pretty nice for the street, think I'll finally get to test them on track in November. Where did you find the 993? Just curious.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

When you create a vehicle listing on FB maretplace the first and only thing filled in is automatic transmission, a lot of people don't bother to fix it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

EBay is the usual answer or join 981 and cayman facebook groups, there's usually people parting out cars or you can list what you're looking for and they'll be able to refer you to someone.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I might be dumb or crazy but I see a car being tracked as a good thing. Usually means it went through tech inspections, things were more closely monitored for wear and fluids were replaced more often. On p-cars and stuff it might even mean it was prepped at a race shop before events. Sure there are plenty of stupid/lazy people that do track days in cars that are falling apart but most people have enough sense of self preservation to look over things well before driving fast for hours. Just IMO of course.

Usually not one for autocross but the local PCA is doing on on the 18th so I'm signed up for that. Might be headed to NCM early November if covid numbers setting new records by then. Wife has said she would prefer if the Cayman wasn't used that often on track so it might be one and done for that while we consolidate cars and get something absolutely stupid for track use.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Today in 993 ownership I bring the car in to get an estimate for paint correction + ceramic coat + complete interior detailing, and learn that both doors and one rocker are absolutely covered in light dings concealed by the silver color. We'll see what the PDR guy says when he comes by :arghfist::mad:

Aren't old cars fun? Spotted a nice little dent on the cayman I hadn't noticed before when I washed it the other day, need to see if there's any PDR guys that come to you around here...I've got a few vehicles with a few dents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Battery tender is minimum, I also like to pump the tires up to ~40psi if it's going to be sitting for a while and ethanol free gas doesn't hurt.

Cayman still fun and I'm almost to 3k miles since purchase, mid June, which will be twice what I put on the i3 in the ~13 months I owned it.