Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

2009 997.2 S in green. Traded it in on the gray 2012 997.2 4 GTS behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Tremek posted:

+1. I don't know if it will be a 964 or a 991 or what, but yes.

I test drove some 991s, but there were some things I didn't like (electric steering, that drat sound symposer, throttle blip on the PDK, aesthetics of the rear end), which is why I went for the 997 GTS instead. They're really nicely balanced though, and I liked the interior a bit better.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Nice improvement. I'm not too fussy about wheels, but the lobster forks don't look good to me.

I liked the Cayman S. It's very agile. To me, that's fun. The precision is satisfying. It's differently fun, I guess, sort of like going from C2S to C4GTS: the old one was more eventful, but the way the new one's front end wants to help go around the corner makes it feel a lot more balanced, which I like. I'm more into enjoying how well the car handles than how close to the edge I can push it.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Long response because I considered a Cayman S before deciding on a 2009 C2S. Summary: CPO 2009 with Sport Chrono.

I'm not as familiar with the Cayman facelift, but I think it was similar to the 911 2009 facelift. More horsepower and torque, no IMS problems, Bluetooth, etc. Not sure if "filtering MT" means you want or don't want a manual, but I believe 2009 is when they got the PDK. Don't get a Tiptronic. Anyway, if I remember right, the general consensus was that the second generation was solidly more desirable.

CPO is extra important with a PDK, I think, just in case, but I don't feel comfortable going without CPO in any case on a Porsche.

Also, with PDK, Sport Chrono is really useful. Even on a manual, having sport/sport+ makes the throttle more responsive. I don't drive in normal mode except on the interstate.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

thechalkoutline posted:

Ah, so it seems CPO is vastly preferable to just getting a PPI for a non-CPO. Do I still need to get a PPI on a CPO? Seems redundant

I haven't bothered with an inspection. If there are problems, the dealer gets to fix it anyway. I probably have some luxury in that there are five Porsche dealers in this area, so there's a lot of incentive to keep me happy. I've never worried about or had a warranty on any other car, but it's magic when the dealer gets paid by Porsche to fix your car. I traded in my '09 when the CPO ran out.

thechalkoutline posted:

It has to be a manual so I take it I don't have to worry this PDK stuff
Cool. You still should try to get Sport Chrono though.

thechalkoutline posted:

And no IMS problems? Dangit that's gonna edge my cap up but good to know, thanks for the advice

Different engine in the '09, no IMS at all, therefore no problem.

And yes, I would definitely get an S. If I had to prioritize, I'd get an '09 base over an '08 S, but I'd try really hard to get an '09 S. Same thing I did when I got my 911. But the non-S isn't going to be a bad car. It's still a Cayman, and Caymans are drat fun. I'd just rather have the more power, bigger brakes, and more standard features that the S comes with.

Gorgar fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 16, 2015

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I had about 40k on my '09 when I sold it, and the switches were fine.

I'm not sure this person understands what the car is for. How does all that change stay put?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Dave Inc. posted:

Here's my '82 SC on the track being dusty:

More of this!

quote:

996 HEADLIGHTS. LOVE THEM OR gently caress OFF.
*fucks off*

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

blk posted:

I really hope the move to turbo only doesn't start driving up the price of NA 997s :(

As the owner of a 997.2 GTS 4, I sort of hope it does, but weren't there rather a lot of 997s?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I like how the BMW is the special one that needs to park diagonally.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Jymmybob posted:

The only driving complaint is that it's gutless from a stop unless you mash the throttle or keep it in sport mode.

Both my 997.2 CS and 997.2 4 GTS were/are like this. I asked the dealer if there was a way to get it to default to sport mode, but no luck. I think it's so they can claim mileage figures based on normal mode. I got used to putting it in sport as soon as I start it up, and I just put it in normal mode on the interstate. Or, you can use manual mode and always leave it in sport.

Gorgar fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 27, 2015

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I think I'd like wood trim, but with a black interior. It looks strange to me with beige.

I'm not a particular fan of carbon fiber for the looks, but it's an improvement over the standard wheel I had before because it doesn't get roughed up by normal use.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

What's left on the list if you want mid or rear engine for the handling characteristics?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Tremek posted:

but the 996 ain't a great value.

Guess it depends on what you want. If you want a 911, a 996 certainly is one. It's not one I'd buy personally either. If it makes someone else happy, cool.

I thought about it, though. My first test drive was a '99 996, lots of miles, $17k. That convinced me I preferred 911s to Caymans, and I wound up with a 997 because I wanted a CPO car and the updates that came in '09, but the 996 was of course a lot cheaper. It was apparently right for somebody, because it wasn't there later. If I had room for two cars, I might have bought it and a beater truck or wagon, even though there are other cars with better numbers, none of which I am interested in.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Oh look, competitive car-owning. Isn't there a thread for that?

I bet there's a BRZ thread. Do those guys know they bought the wrong car? Also, where were you when I had an MR-2? There were tons of options that went much faster, but like an idiot, I just enjoyed the balanced feel around the curves, and didn't once measure times for anything.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Bajaha posted:

Also aparantly it had a thirst for oil as they were filling it up before we took it out. :v:

I still want one so bad.

My 09 C2S drank a lot of oil. Replacement hasn't used a drop in over a year.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

BUILT WEBSITE
THAT NEVER STOPS

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

That's a handsome beast.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I would think that, just like buying a house, that any offer discussed before an inspection is subject to change due to results of inspection.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I turn on sport mode, including PASM, when I start the car and hardly ever turn it off.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I'm in Chicago, so I don't know that the roads are all that great, but the road feel and stiff, agile suspension are rewarding to me in general, even at 25mph or going in a straight line down the interstate. Probably personal preference in my case.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Jymmybob posted:

A C4 made RWD is pretty much an improvement in every way.

Huh.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I agree, very few buyers who have ever sat in a 991 will ever prefer the 996/997 except for reasons of affordability

Huh.

When I was looking to trade in my 997.2 C2S, I tried some 991s, but didn't like the electric steering. It's a bigger feeling car, and I like the interior, but it didn't have the road feel I was used to. Also did not care for that throttle blip or the extra noise piped in from the engine compartment. I did like the weight distribution, but overall it felt disconnected from the road compared to my 997. I wound up with a 997.2 GTS 4. It definitely feels different from the RWD car, but I don't find it enough less fun to lose out on AWD on a car I drive in winter. Not getting stuck is also fun, and there's something cool about the way the front end wants to lead the car around the corner. It feels very poised, in a way no 2WD vehicle would, I think.

If I move on to a 991.2, I'm sure I will enjoy the hell out of it. It's still a 911. But I definitely didn't feel like the 991.1 was entirely an improvement, even though the performance was better.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Congratulations. Looks really nice in that color.

I've noticed on my 997s that it takes a while for the oil to warm up. Radiator fluid is really fast, though. I suspect it's because the car is designed to handle high RPMs for an extended period, so the system is really good at getting rid of heat, but I don't know anything more technical than that.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

blk posted:

What do you rear-engined menschen think of RWD vs AWD on 911s in the wet? Last time I drove a RWD 996 I nearly got the tail out around me on a downward twist and am wondering if I'm just an idiot or if I need to be additionally careful with a RR car.

If I'm reading this right, the back end threatened to break loose as you were going through a curve that slopes down? I assume you were hitting the brakes, or at least engine braking? If so, I don't think AWD will help you. The thing to do is dump any excess speed before you hit the curve. If you need to dump speed while in the curve, point it straight first. Note: I am not an expert, this is just what I learned doing a little reading and spending a lot of time with an MR2 before getting a 911. You do need to be additionally careful with a rear-engined car, though. It's part of the fun, and the ridiculous planted feeling as you speed out of the turn is worth it.

If you were accelerating down the curve, then yes, AWD would make some difference, at least in a 997. Haven't driven a 996 with it.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I love the AWD on the 997, but I'm not a purist. I've had the 2 and the 4, so I think I get the difference in feel, and why the 2 is well-liked, but I really like the agile feeling of having the front end pull a bit into a turn instead of being passively pushed around. Keeps the car feeling poised and balanced. It does make it feel more like a mid-engine car, where a 2 always reminds you you're in a tail-heavy car, which is differently fun.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

The Sicilian posted:

I have such a hard quantifying who will buy this beautiful car, but I sure hope they do.

I drove a Macan as a loaner for a couple days, and it's amazingly nimble, but I don't like the height. Much prefer hatchbacks and wagons. I want the poo poo out of one of these, but it's sort of hard to justify when they cost around as much as a 911 does. They do look a lot better to me than the hatch version, which just looks to me like an attempt at a stretch 911. The wagon looks really good, like this was the car they meant to make in the first place. I'm sure I'll try one before my CPO runs out in 2018, when slightly used ones may become available. If it's as much fun as I would expect it to be, I might consider it, as I've had my dream of driving a 911 for a few years now.

But I also like my current car enough that I'm considering just staying with it.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

That's really pretty.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

New ones are turbo. Haven't driven a new Cayman, but if the improvements are similar to the 911, it should be pretty good.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I’ve been daily driving a 997.2 for a few years. Started on an ‘09 S, now on a ‘12 GTS 4. I always swap tires between summer and winter sets. (In fact, i still have the winter rims and tires from the ‘09, if anyone near Chicago needs a set.)

Winter Issues with the ‘09 S: I got it stuck in the alley a few times because there were giant icy ruts from a bad winter and no plowing ever. Was stupid on my part not to find someone to plow it. Otherwise, driving it in snow wasn’t a big deal. Even then, going straight down the alley was fine. Once I put in time with an ice chopper in front of my parking space so I didn’t have to turn across the icy ruts, there were no more problems. Like I said, stupid.

Winter Issues with the ‘12 GTS 4: None.

As long as you put winter tires on it and understand how a rear engine car handles, 997s are great in snow. I wouldn’t park it outside if you can help it. One quirk that applies to both cars: if you get the wheels caked with snow and it freezes, the wheels seem to be light enough that it will affect the balance. It’ll shake on the highway past 55mph or so, and gradually get better until all the crap has flown off. Doesn’t seem to hurt the car, but it’s unsettling the first time it happens, and then just annoying to keep the speed down until the wheels clear. Not an issue around town, or if you have time to run it through a wash, or can keep your garage above freezing.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I wound up getting wheel/tire insurance on my 997.2 GTS with center-lock wheels. Possibly unneeded, but it wasn't that long after I'd run the Milwaukee area entirely out of replacement rims for my Saab. Wound up ditching the alloys entirely and getting a nice boring set of steel wheels that didn't require tires almost nobody carried and didn't break every other time I hit a pothole.

I don't know that I'd buy it again. I did get a free tire out of it, but that was of course less than the insurance cost.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I haven’t driven a GT3, but the base/S model 991s felt more evenly balanced than 997s. Whether that’s good or bad is up to the individual, but I liked it.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Warranty just ended on my 997.2. Thought about either getting a 991.2 or just going back to normal cars, thereby freeing up a ton of money, but so far I seem to be planning on just hanging onto it. It's been a really good car and given me no trouble.

Caymans are pretty nice. I love the agility. Not that 911s are that tail-happy these days, but Caymans (and Boxsters) are just so incredibly balanced. I'd think about getting one, but I routinely carry guitars and amps around, and Caymans are just too small for that.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Jymmybob posted:

I really like the 997.2s because they're still small and not as completely refined like 991s but have updated engines. As an everyday car then I'd probably feel different though.

That was how I felt. 991.1 was too big and felt like driving a 70s Pontiac in comparison. Electric steering didn't have much road feel. I think they did a lot of improvement on the 991.2 though, and I'm not a purist, so the turbo doesn't bother me. More torque? Sign me up for that. They do feel more like a space ship than a sports car though.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I was in love with my 2009 S. Traded it in on a 2012 GTS 4 so I wouldn't go back, but it was a hell of a car, and I really wouldn't even think about 2008 and before if you just want a car to drive and are not trying to go air-cooled. 2009 was when the IMS went away for good.

Just had my 2012 in to the dealer and they said a lot of people were hanging on to the 997.2s around here. I suspect I'll be hanging onto mine for years to come.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Anti-Hero posted:

Oh I totally agree. I meant "I'm stuck dealing with these guys if I want a local sale". In fact, I should send some emails out to remote dealers with my configuration code and see what kind of offers I get.

I’ve had pretty good luck with Porsche Exchange in Highland Park, IL. I’ve always dealt with the son of the owner, who took everything seriously even though I don’t look like I can afford a Porsche and in fact traded in a burned-up Saab on one. I had them do all the CPO work and they were good about that. From discussions we’ve had since, I gather they do a bunch of business out of state. Think they mentioned sending cars to Seattle. Might be worth checking out; they had the cheapest 997.2 S within 500 miles when I bought mine.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I didn't have a garage for my 911 at first. Was a real pain because the wheels were super light and they'd get caked with ice and snow, which would gently caress up the balance. Also found it covered with snow from a snowblower, had a fun discussion with the landlord about that.

That was the end of parking outside for me. Not having a garage is rear end, even though I don't keep anything in it other than the car itself.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I gave some thought to selling my 997, figuring it's going to be worth a lot less soon, but I guess I don't really want to.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I haven't driven a 997 without PASM but I would miss both it and sport chrono. The extra taut ride in sport+ is really fun, and I generally drive in sport+ with the PDK in manual all the time because of it, even in Chicago.

All the electronic stabilization that discourages the tail-heavy car from trying to kill you makes it pretty good in slippery conditions, I think. Won't save you if you do something really stupid, but even the C2S is remarkably sure-footed, so long as you don't get hung up on anything because of the clearance. The C4 is even better, have never gotten mine stuck.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

blk posted:

I should probably figure out how to store winter tires, but I live in a 400 square ft studio apartment. It hasn’t been an issue so far since I’ve been in my Saabaru with PS A/S3+ which do fine in inclement weather.

I just pay a couple hundred a year to store them at the dealer. I have a garage and room for tires (still have the winter wheels from my previous 997, for no good reason), but no other car so no way to transport the tires back and forth.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

got off on a technicality posted:

IMO the dividing line between the 911's slow transformation from sports car to GT is right there between the 997 and 991 generations. The 2009-2012 cars ought to hold their value well as the last of the 997

I think this might be true. I asked the dealer for an offer on my 2012 997.2 GTS4 and was pleasantly surprised. Also, I’ve held off on 991s because they feel much less intimate. Faster, more balanced, and with some welcome improvements, but overall just not as satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

I would also be interested in this! Considering a 997 4S as a second runaround.

For what it's worth the Taycan 4S is excellent in the snow, though I haven't tried to go through anything deeper than a couple of inches.

I drove a 997 GTS 4 through 7 or 8 Chicago winters. Only time I could get it stuck was getting the undercarriage hung up on ice ruts. Didn't try driving it through loads of unplowed snow, though.

Totally sold on the AWD, replaced it with a 991.2 4S.