Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Or open it back up so today's spoilers can get pasted in?

Elder dragons refer to a specific thing that a very very long time ago in the mtg timeline. http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Elder_Dragon#Elder_Dragons. Making the khans dragons into elders is stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but I know my Elder Dragons, I spent months as a kid trying to chase down a Chromium, my mother did not understand why I wanted so desperately to drive to the comic store all the way across town for some Legends boosters.

It's one of the reasons I find the excitement for the new ones so weird. Lots of the people I see being excited have been playing the game for like a year tops, one guy didn't even know Nicol Bolas was originally, an Elder Dragon. That's such a plane specific, old thing, the Elder Dragons, that if you don't know that if you aren't familiar what is there to be excited about there's nothing new or interesting about that, just nostalgia.

More so for the other posters, but I completely understand. I had a Chromium which was the only Elder Dragon I even opened form a pack. Still wish I had it, as buying a new one isn't the same. Tacking Elder onto these very young dragons just feels unnecessary to me. The original five were special this just feels tacked on for some free nostalgia credit, despite having no connection the originals.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Tubgoat posted:

Shaman of Forgotten Ways is a Biorhythm that's legal in TWO singleton formats where the latter is banned. 11 mana is nothing when you have both Priest of Titania and Elvish Archdruid available. If it was an elf, I'd order two playsets.

Edit: Judging by the eBay presales, I'm not the only one who realises this. Foils will be stock certificates.

Seeing as Biorhythm is banned what is the likeliness that this dude will also be banned?

And Somberwald Sage saw a decent amount of play when it was legal including as a four of in a GP winning deck.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1070605

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Rinkles posted:

My pet black wall would be a 1/1 flying deathtouch defender for B. A fetid rat corpse strapped to a balloon as art.

WOTC Bring back Will-O'-The-Wisp for this man.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

tirinal posted:

I'm curious what sort of mental contortions are necessary to believe that horses can actually run like that.

Maybe it's a psionic levitating horse.

Thats the guy that the orc threw at somone.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Spiderdrake posted:

Wasn't it implied that the Gods of Theros have lived, died, been replaced and so forth? I thought they hinted there had been a previous god of war?

Yes. http://archive.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ur/303 One of the best lore articles they have done recently.

Rinkles posted:

Any quick way of spotting fakes?

You probably can't tell from the lovely picture, but the Hymns are much paler than newer cards and their backs a smidgeon redder. I was just wondering whether the print technique changed that much (other old cards tend to also be paler but these stood out).

I don't have delusions of these being worth anything, just curious.

At lot of cards from that time are printed with varying levels of quality. They did not get poo poo figured out for some time.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Zoness posted:

My takeaway here is angels that go ninnnnnnnn are good in a magic format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lze9xN3ACw ?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

moxiemag posted:

sarkhan is just garbage compared to narset

mcmagic posted:

Sarkhan is pretty bad.

Jesus Christ. :ughh:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I thought DFC's made draft signals a little easier to read personally. Don't pass line Bloodline Keeper unless you deck is insane.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Rinkles posted:

I'm sure they'll find a reason, but shouldn't the Eldrazi (and most of Zendikar) be long gone?

No they are still trapped as of the m15 Nissan story but I would imagine the plane doesn't have much longer.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Rinkles posted:

I have a very loose grasp of the lore. I thought they were suppoed to move on after "consuming" Zendikar

They were but the hedron system still has the physical manifestations of them trapped and as far we know they have not finished eating yet. Ulamog been visually confirmed there, but the other two have not been seen for a while. Still most likely trapped, and there is still a lot of the lesser bloodlings to deal with zendikar.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/nissa-worldwaker-2014-06-25

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Dragons pre-release is going to be the same format as fates. 4-1-1 seeded.

http://wpn.wizards.com/en/products/dragons-tarkir

quote:

Contents:

4 Dragons of Tarkir booster packs
1 Fate Reforged booster pack
1 seeded booster pack
1 Activity insert
1 Clan information card
1 Spindown Life Counter

No buttons.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Zoness posted:

Hey dragonstorm is a card that's won a world championships.

Unless Bogardan Hellkite comes back you really need to have haste to make his ultimate into dragonstorm. Granted there are a couple of those effects now in standard, but it isn't an I win button just yet.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Oh good more gravepacts.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Your spoiler review gimmick loving sucks.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Constructed applications aside, with how many stupid dragons there are in this set this is pretty much counterspell in limited right?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's noncreature only. So it's two massively conditional clauses on top of each other, I don't think it will see much play ever.

It hits a t3 Ashiok while the g/x player is on the draw, its going to see play.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

rabidsquid posted:

Hell yeah you could kill all the good blue permanents in modern and standard such as

Deceiver Exarch, Pestermite, Jeskai Ascendency.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

mcmagic posted:

Depends how good Narset ends up being in modern.

You keep saying this, yet I don't see how she is better than baby Jace or Jace AoT in modern control decks.

Angry Grimace posted:

I can't think of a reason Narset would be good in Modern. I'm not even sure Narset is good in Standard.

Agree with this. The only thing she has is a high starting loyalty.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Entropic posted:

So long, Combust. Is there anything in Modern where the extra one damage or the damage prevention is worth an extra mana?

Siege Rhino and the occasional Doran are the only ones I can think of off hand. Knight of the Reliquary might get too big too fast for both spells.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Zoness posted:

What if the twin decks just played mizzium skin?

It is a common sideboard card.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Angry Grimace posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Surrak sucks.

Is it the watermark or does that say it instead of if?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Rinkles posted:

When was the last red ritual printed? Is Wotc still okay w/ them?

Because this would be kinda cool:

T1 mountain #1, Swiftspear
T2 mountain #2, Desperate Ritual, into second Swiftspear, into DR, into Titan Strength, into Temur Battle Rage on the first Swiftspear

Defiant Strike and Dragon Mantle also help

Kind of like a combat based storm deck (very loosely speaking)

Pyretic Ritual In m11.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

dragon enthusiast posted:

I wonder what they're going to bring back for BFZ, they have two sets to cram in material from two separate blocks for.

I certainly hope they don't make a better emrakul.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

quote:

Tell that to the "mythics" cards, i'm pretty sure we will find common cards that are better than these... AAARGH but WTF! How it is even POSSIBLE to imagine a 9ccm card doing just... THAT playable?? And MYTHIC!

AT 4 ccm i'm not even sure this would have been used out of limited but 9??? COME ON!

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Madmarker posted:

Well, I have done a complete 180 on this set today. At first it looked like a horrible dragon-themed reskinning of AVR......and then the commons and uncommons popped up. AND gently caress YEAH THIS SET LOOKS AWESOME. Like, I'm going to try and draft UB Exploit like a madman.

Even though that loving five mana counterspell is the biggest troll from wizards since putting DRS on remand.

Agree with 100%. Set look like overcosted rear end and now it looks like a fun one to draft. Nice to see Negate finally getting new art.

Tormenting voice, Naturalize, and Summit yeti get reprinted from Khans for limited. Kindled Fury, Battle Mastery, Explosive Veggies all get a reprint.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Did prices crash on DTK singles? I was looking to get a few things and prices are down from what they were yesterday. Collected Company was 8.50 now 4.50 at tcgplayer and Deathmist raptor was close to 10 and is now around 6.

e - Narset is low 30's now and sarkhan is 21-22.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Xeom posted:

Does Student of Warfare start at level one or zero?

Al level up cards start at zero.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Kyrosiris posted:

I still don't understand why they brought the chat back.

That sweet :5bux: they for subscribers. Except twitch takes half of of it.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

whydirt posted:

The baby Ugin 6-drop dragon has to be the one bumped from common to uncommon by development. I'd be curious to know what happened during playtests for that to happen. A common French-vanilla 4/4 flyer for 6 doesn't seem that obnoxious in a set with many other similar cards at uncommon.

A 4/4 flyer for 6 is a typical uncommon though. Gold-Forged Sentinel and Lumengrid Gargoyle.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Just use tangle wire with Vorel until you find your win con.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Gensuki posted:

Has the part two of the "Broods"/Tarkir overview been posted? Ojutai and Silumgar were neat, but they are literally the least interesting dragons to me at this point...

Probably because they're blue.

The planeswalkers guide? It should be out tomorrow morning. Maro is mondays, the flavor articles come out wed, and development is Fridays. And those are the only things I read on the mothership.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Isnt the only morphs available in TL Proteus Machine and Zoetic Cavern? Or am I not searching properly?

Or is :thejoke:?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Damnit, I put mc<=3 not CMC<=3. :saddowns:.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Aranan posted:

I'm thinking of hitting up the DTK prerelease. I haven't done limited since, uh, Invasion? And I wasn't really good at it back then. I've read about BREAD and all that, but I'm looking at the DTK and FRF lists and not doing great at picking out the good/bad cards. Anyone have some pointers for me?

Also check this article out: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/dragons-tarkir-prerelease-primer-2015-03-16

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

99% sure its Rich Shay.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sigma-X posted:

Since I took a 3 year hiatus, is there a cliff's notes version of the magic history from Scars of Mirrodin onward?

Innistrad Block - Garruk chases LIlliana who is there looking for Gistlebrand. Sorrin's home plane who is b/w, and he made Avacyn as a way to keep the humans and vampires in balance except she has vanished. Lilliana eventually explodes the giant prison thing that Gistlebrand is in freeing Gistlebrand and Avacyn. Then angels everywhere. Garruk get a little relief from his curse but not really.

RTR block - whacky races the mtg set trying to remake the guildpact, except its Jace who becomes the new guildpact. :ughh:

Theros Block - Ancient greece/rome the set. Elspeth crash lands after being forcibly sent out of New Phyrexia by Koth who tries to kill Elesh Norn. Koth's status is still MIA. Heliod (white god) is a dick. Elspeth eventually kills Xenogas (the new r/g god) and Heliod kills her because he is a dick. Ajanni shows up and becomes an atheist. Kiora finally gets a card and impersonates Thassa (blue god) to get more leviathans to fight against the Eldrazi. Elspeth gets shown in the underworld because Erebos (black god) is a dick. The only god that isnt a dick is Kruphix (u/g god).

e forgot Khans. Sarkhan is a crazy rear end in a top hat who travels back in time to same ugin from bolas and because of that he saves all the dragons who were extinct in his original timeline. Now Takir sucks even more.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 19, 2015

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Atarka is the only one I am not doing.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Corte posted:

Could someone clarify Butcher's Glee, can both abilities trigger or is it one or the other?

All happens at once. It gets the power bonus, lifelink and a regeneration shield once the spell resolves. Your opponent can still use a spell to kill it while Glee is on the stack however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
That's just awful. :( DPOC was good dude.

• Locked thread