Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

qbert posted:

I hope there's enough good Exploit cards for some kind of Sultai Exploit deck with Prophet of Kruphix.

I am ready and willing for new format all-stars Jeskai Sage, Sultai Emissary, and Dictate of Erebos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Boltwing Marauder might be a decent curve-topper in a R/B or Mardu tokens deck. It's a decent enough threat on its own and combos real well with any token maker like Outburst, Rabblemaster, etc. However I don't see it clearing the "is this better than Stormbreath" hurdle.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

To be frank the breathless "dragons draGONS DRAGONS!!!! :byodood:" tone of most of the preview articles has gotten kinda ridiculous.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

forbidden lesbian posted:

Force of Will that requires you to exile a dragon card

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Force of Will is going to slot right into my Torrent Elemental deck.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

bhsman posted:

It technically doesn't care about Torpor Orb or Hushwing Gryff, either.

Unfortunately it doesn't get back whatever spell you used to cheat it and 20 other creatures into play with.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Can't wait to have this rot in my hand because my opponent's board is full of morphs and 2-color bomb rares.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Ramos posted:

Nah, that was my bad. I thought you wanted to follow a WW with Anafenza the Foremost.

Also, wee, cheating. See if you can catch what happened.

During Thoughtseize, Roby put his Hero's Downfall perfectly underneath another card, keeping his opponent from seeing it and having him discard it.

This is a good catch, can any judges chime in on what the potential penalties are for being caught doing this?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Reclamation Sage and Temur Sabertooth would clean up the mirror match in short order. I wouldn't be surprised if both became maindecks going forward. Nylea is another good way to break insane board stalls.

edit: Warden is not good because the deck chokes on white mana

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

MiddleEastBeast posted:

So now that creatures are on the verge of ruining magic, do we get a New New World Order™?

That's not what NWO is.

Has WotC banned specific card combos instead of individual cards before? It seems the issue here is not Mastery of the Unseen or Nykthos specifically, but the two of them in combination.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Entropic posted:

Now that I think about it, that Doran's Butt Party enchantment makes basically every creature in Abzan beat your opponent's copy in the mirror. And that's without even taking the firebreathing into consideration.

Um excuse me the proper term is clearly firefarting. :c00lbutt:

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Pacifism is real good, but it does not interact favorably at all with formidable, exploit, or dash. Probably why they felt safe printing it.

I'm leaning towards Dromoka for the prerelease now. I really like the look of all the synergies it has involving +1/+1 counters.

I can't wait to put 4 Lightning Berserkers into my Norin Soul Sisters deck.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

I love this idea, but they're just worse Norins. What would you take out?

They're certainly worse than Norin #1, but much better than Norins 2-4. I'd probably go down to 3 Norins total and cut some Suture Priests.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

forbidden lesbian posted:

I really don't get why people complain about unrealism, like do they think time travel itself is realistic

Well you see in reality, dragons can't

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Boy of Joy posted:

Ghost Waifu is the real deal. 3-0'd midnight prerelease with GW bolster aggro, every game I cast her I steamrolled. Didn't open much else that was worth very much but had a lot of fun, looking forward to drafting!

Almost every time I played Anafenza she immediately ate a removal spell. :(

Overall I can't complain about my pool, I had a pretty decent GW aggroish build with a splash of black for removal, Sidisi, and Tasigur. I got to live the dream of going Sidisi into Tasigur just once in 4 rounds, it was total overkill when it happened, and it was glorious. Went 3-1 overall, horribly punted game 3 of the match I lost because I was holding up Coat With Venom and let my only remaining creature, a 5/5, get Roasted.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Bolster was pretty underwhelming in FRF because it was just kinda tacked on here and there. But playing a GW deck in the prerelease where almost every creature or spell had bolster on it, I realized the mechanic is sweet as hell. It's fine as just a value play of "my dude gets biggerer!" but also rewards good decision making like proper spell sequencing and trading off creatures to focus your counters. When your opponent needs to start chumping your Sandsteppe Outcast spirit token with dragon monuments, you know you've arrived.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Four Score posted:

Time to make my Goblins EDH deck a proper Tiny Leaders deck. Mono-red sucks in Commander anyways :negative:

Someone has never heard of Feldon.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Truly, First Response was too powerful to have the same CMC as Jeskai Ascendency.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Madmarker posted:

Agh, my prowess eludes me yet again.

Get band.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Chapin looked super nervous for a lot of this game, it's painful watching him misplay the RtB and now this.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

How do you guys feel about playing a land and then immediately changing your mind and trying to play a different one before anything else has happened? It's such a harmless thing that I don't mind it when people do it (or I do it, for that matter), and I don't actually know if there's a specific rule about it.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

World's Best Puresteel Paladin Deck:

Deck: Puresteel Paladin Deck

This is loving incredible.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

So... does this deck do anything if you don't draw a paladin or if your opponent draws removal?

Muddle the Mixture both finds the guy and protects him once he's on the field. It's practically unbeatable!

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

The only other card I can find that might be a budget alternative is Golem Foundry.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

There's also MTG Forge if you don't feel like dealing with random people on the internet. The AI is surprisingly functional for a hobby project.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Jeskai tokens went well at gameday until I got absolutely and rapidly crushed in the semifinals by a Mardu dragons deck. My opponent had Orator of Ojutai to ward off early aggression, Draconic Roar and Crackling Doom to kill my good threats, and Thunderbreak Regent, Stormbreath, and Dragonlord Kolagan to close out the game. Tokens just doesn't seem to have the answers to those threats - Stokes in the main, and I brought in Disdainful Strokes and a End Hostilities in for game 2, but didn't see them. Granted I only played 2 games against him but I feel like he'd probably win 80%+ of the time against me.

Unfortunate, because his finals opponent was UB control, which he said is his worst matchup while I feel it's one of my best. Also unfortunate that I got 4 packs for 3/4th place and the top 2 split a box and a half.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

I hope this kid wins just for playing basic lands older than he is. (also it's my favorite plains art)

Peepers fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 19, 2015

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

:3:

edit: Path makes land appear.

Peepers fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 23, 2015

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

HMS Beagle posted:

I think the conditional nature of Ojutai's hexproof also plays into White. While he's sitting back on defense he's untouchable, once he starts going on the offensive he's fair game. Feels very White in its execution.

Creatures being untapped is definitely something white cares about.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

AgentSythe posted:

stack the packs into creative shapes and sell the photographs you take of the sculptures

Crack the packs, then ebay the the boxes full of empty packaging. It works for playstations and poo poo right, should be fine here too.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Watching an aggro deck fight through a Drown and 2 Rhinos is loving scary.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

I am really quite pessimistic about MM2 having any significant effect on staple rare/mythic prices. I have no hard numbers to back this up but I don't think GP Vegas will come close to a typical set prerelease weekend in terms of new product opened, and the $10 MSRP means card prices will stay much higher before the EV is enough to crack packs for singles.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong but I just don't see it.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

EatinCake posted:

Apparently on Star City, Lightning Bolts are $2 a pop. Surely they can't be that rare? I've got like 20 or so from a local shop that I bought for that much because they had so many of em.

It is literally the most-played card in modern.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Pyrolocutus posted:

Make the "legacy staple" 95% black bordered then the remainder is silver. Sadly note that because it's not completely black-bordered, it's not eligible for legacy.

I was joking about this last night at my LGS. The set should be silver-bordered like normal, but one card per pack the silver scratches off lotto-style to reveal a black border beneath it.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

black potus posted:

fading was also a cool mechanic too it is a great tragedy that punk nerds don't like downside mechanics and we'll never see it again

They made vanishing instead, the only difference being time instead of fade counters, and saccing the permanent the turn you remove the last counter rather than the turn after. Why make that second change? :iiam:

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Pussy Snorkel posted:

For what it's worth, I was the one who located the sheet they were cut from. In addition, I assure you that you can't just print on top of the card without it being glaringly obvious.

I'd be curious to hear more about how you located those cards.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

It's always fun when people post evidence for the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Naya Burn was the deck I would play.
Lets me win games all night and all day.
Except for infect,
which case I'd be wrecked.
Cut the Revelries; 'Tarka's could stay.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

Professional Wrestling as a whole is banned from every format of MMA, so obviously any of those first. Piledrivers and Brain Busters are pick one material.

And The People's Elbow is unbeatable in the G/B archetype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Anyone see packs with 2x Smash to Smithereens in them? I saw two packs of them today during drafts, just 2 Smashs hanging out with the rest of the commons.

• Locked thread