Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Elder dragon chat - everyone who is mad that these guys are stepping on bolas are aware of another 10 elder dragons, right? Invasion and then the time spiral block ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

gang sines posted:

those don't have the subtype elder

My memory failed me. I could swear that they were elder dragon legends, but yeah I guess the elder but wasn't true.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Rinkles posted:

So which side up is the correct way to sleeve your cards? Bottom of card to bottom of sleeve or the opposite?

the perfect fit should be open at the bottom of the card, the dragonshield / kmc should be open at the top.

efb really?

to answer your followup:

Rinkles posted:

Curious about the reason for the differentiation.

The perfect fit is the inner sleeve when you're doublesleeving. You want the openings to be opposite so that way poo poo doesn't get inbetween the sleeve and the card.

You want the outer sleeve to be open on the top because it keeps cards from working their way out of teh sleeve when you are riffling them in your hand repeatedly while your opponent tanks.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 4, 2015

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

I love rk post's artwork to bits but that's not really a good example of them ruining one of his pieces. I'm not really sure why the original seems to be framed around the troll doll on her shoulder, for one.

IIRC the defiling tears crop was an edit and originally the art was meant for an angel.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Attorney at Funk posted:

It's definitely Force of Will, and they're going to spoil it along with the Wasteland reprint which is also assuredly in this set.

Wasteland confirmed as 249/264?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Elyv posted:

I just want to know what Durdle Turtle is going to do in Dragons' future, hopefully he'll exist and be better.

they'll just remove all the words after the first period to represent alzheimers.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Starving Autist posted:

It's actually not that confusing, and it's really insulting to the intelligence of the average person to suggest otherwise. They're cards that aren't creatures that count as having a creature type. That's literally all it is.

And it adds nearly nothing to the game. I mean, why do we give a poo poo about making this bulk mythic rare tribal? For the loving flavor reason, or are we actually going to pretend it would matter if the cost was reduced by 1 by the 1/3 dude?

I mean I guess it's cool that my eye of Ugin makes All is Dust cost 5, or that Goblin Matron can find tarfire instead of goodcard Gempalm Incinerator, or that I can harbinger up my Nameless Inversion for SIIICK RIPS BRO in a lovely block deck, but outside of the 1 tribes-really-matter-guys block that had it, it would do practically nothing of real value for an added layer of complexity. And complexity for complexity's sake isn't good game design.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Starving Autist posted:

Except it isn't for the sake of complexity, it's for the sake of the things you've outlined in your own post for me. Those are real things, that have an effect on the game, not just adding complexity for the sake of itself.

Those are fringe boring plays and those are in formats where tribal is relevant - which it isn't in Standard and isn't any format wherein we are trying to justify making Tribal "evergreen". You're defending sticking Tribal on lovely Bulk Dragon Mythic, which would be an unnecessary layer of complexity so that your lovely dragon mythic could maybe someday cost 1 less.

Tribal coming back for Lorwyn 2 could at least be interesting for limited but tribal as a supertype doesn't really do anything for constructed play and is unnecessary complexity outside of any format that isn't heavily designed around it.

So tribaling your lovely dragon mythic is not a good idea, sorry.

Rinkles posted:

Any quick way of spotting fakes?

You probably can't tell from the lovely picture, but the Hymns are much paler than newer cards and their backs a smidgeon redder. I was just wondering whether the print technique changed that much (other old cards tend to also be paler but these stood out).

I don't have delusions of these being worth anything, just curious.

FE print runs and really anything earlier than Ice Age has really lovely print quality that varies wildly. Nobody is faking your $1.00 hymn to tourachs.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Note that the image is from an article, and also the collector's number does not make sense if you compare it to Anticipation (it should have a higher number since it comes later alphabetically).

Also it's a colourless turn one counterspell how could anyone believe this

Dude is holding a lightbulb and posing for instagram.

the force of will looked more believable.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Except MM is irrelevant in a Standard format like 99% of the time. This card would be completely relevant in every deck all the time to the point it would be better than Force of Will in Standard because everyone could play it since it doesn't require you to either reveal the card or the card to even be blue.

I get that any deck could cast this against reasonable targets but I think the drawback for the benefit is actually injurious enough such that it would only really get powerful as you move backwards through formats, and even then it is not strictly as powerful as mental misstep was in those formats.

This card does two things:

protects a combo piece from discard without your opponent being able to interact (since it's the cost).
is a daze for a card draw instead of a land drop.

Daze wasn't really playable in Standard and even to this day only really sees play in aggro tempo decks because otherwise it is too easy to play around and the drawback is too great for the effect.

I think most of the time in a Daze deck you would want Daze over this as the drawback is less injurious (you were probably gonna miss land drop 3/4 anyways so Dazing and replaying a land on turn 3/4 isn't negative).

However, this would probably an an auto-include in storm decks/storm sideboards and other unfair blue combo decks as it is another tuck effect to protect your important card, which is separate from the (comparatively lovely) counterspell effect, plus it would then give you the ability to run 4 FoW, 4 this, and some number of spell pierce / flusterstorm for a critical mass of reasonable to play counterspells, and for non-TES/ANT decks you typically have a card(or cards) in hand that you don't give so many shits about so the drawback is minimal (if you're gonna show and tell griselbrand on turn 2 who gives a gently caress what the other 4 cards in your hand are?)

I think you'd see a strong shift towards combo/control (ie, Show and Tell, High Tide, something I'm probably forgetting) and the meta would evolve into Blue Control decks and Blue Combo decks and since this, like mental misstep, would still be lovely outside of blue decks, you'd gently caress the whole meta again and warp it into something godawful, but rather than it being A Wide Variety of Blue Tempo Decks it would be powerful combos and guns aimed directly at powerful combos that would get taken out by the idiots who didn't realize that Maverick was not competitive against the Tier 1 combo deck and could only prey on the Tier 2 Control deck.

But this is all masturbatory because that card isn't real.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

I agree with what you're saying except saying it wouldn't be good in Standard because Daze wasn't good in a Standard from almost 2 decades ago that most of us probably don't remember. The difference between Daze and this card is that you have some reasonable indication that someone could play Daze. You can't play around a counterspell that's playable in every single deck where the only real requirement is having 2 cards in your hand.

I get what you're saying - it does less for you to win the game than other cards do (especially in Standard that has no combos). But it doesn't matter - enough people *would* play it to completely ruin the format and make it miserable. If my opponent has three untapped islands and I tap my three mountains to cast Goblin Rabblemaster and it gets Dissolved, well I took a calculated risk in casting that spell. If my opponent has three tapped mountains and his own Rabblemaster, and then I cast a Rabblemaster, and then it gets countered, I'm going to be justifiably pissed off.

I started playing competitively during Urza/Masques and later Masques/Invasion block. I actually do remember it and foil / thwart were much more playable (and still not heavily played except for small #s in nether-go decks).

Sure it would suck to get countered by this spell in Standard. But your opponent just spent 2 cards for your 1 and while I fully admit I'm not playing Standard right now I can't imagine it's suddenly become a format about fundamental turns where card advantage isn't king over perfect timing.

And in the situation where you're trying to run a rabblemaster into their own rabblemaster instead of killing theri rabblemaster you're probably losing anyways, since they're going to untap as a red deck and kill your rabblemaster for only 1 card instead of 2, meanwhile you could have played your 2-mana 3 damage kill spell on the enemy rabblemaster which is both the correct play and naturally plays around this fake-rear end card.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

The actual strategic implications of that card (while certainly relevant) aren't nearly as important as the fact that it is very poor game design.

It's a fake card made by an idiot on the internet, I think it goes without saying that it's bad game design.

Talking about the implications this bad design would have is fun to me though :)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Having your turn 3 play countered by a deck that can goldfish you in 4 turns seems pretty fun.

So this goldfishing deck goes

T1, 5 cards in hand
T2, 3-4 cards in hand
T3, 1-3 cards in hand, emptying out to counter your spell
T4, swing and cast the 1 cards remaining?

And you've made no plays on turn 1 and 2 and they were on the play?

Here's pretty much the only deck that can run this counterspell:

Mt, Gob Guide, 18
Mt, GG#2, Bolt. 11
Mt, Bolt , COUNTER YOUR poo poo 4
Bolt, -3 (or fireblast for -4)

But that's not a standard deck and it's a literally perfect burn draw to just barely get there.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

Yes, but if you have it in play and animated, you control a Dragon, and thus it's full Counterspell.

1UU for a full counterspell seems pretty freakin' powerful.

e: lollin' at the "draw perfect 9 cards in 11 cards for a T4 kill" reddit masterpiece.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

We get so many legit bad opinions from bad players who like bad cards that it's impossible to tell.

I agree that the guy championing the UU counter as being good when you activate mutavault had A Bad Opinion on Bad Cards and is therefore a Bad Player, but thinking the guy responding to that Bad Player has a bad opinion rather than a sarcastic correction to their bad strategy is probably also bad rather than being sarcastic makes you The Bad Opinion-haver.

In other bad opinion-having-ness, which of the two new blue commands does everyone agree is better than Cryptic? The one that does less in white, or the one that does less in black?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
While we're playing fantasy red hate card, I'd love to see:

1R:

Choose one:
Gain control of target white or blue instant or sorcery. You may choose new targets.
Gain control of target white or blue permanent (or creature) until end of turn. It gains haste.

I feel like the color limiting makes the act of treason effect reasonable at that cost (and the permanents certainly cranks ups the power level to possibly legacy-playable, so it should probably be creatures), but I think the first mode would be cute as gently caress while being a counterspell some of the time.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

I can see Twin decks shifting to more of a Tarmo-Twin form and just side out the entire combo against decks with this card. Should be interesting to see how the meta reacts.

I can see them moving to Tarmo-Twin to diffuse the impact of that card and to cast mutagenic growth from the board more easily, but you can still combo through this card on T4 with mutagenic growth.

Going to Tarmotwin also means that the decks that side into this have to hold bad cards to stop the combo which lets you just beat them with Goofy easier.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Madmarker posted:

I mean, I want to be playing legacy instead of Modern. But honestly, the only change I'd make to modern as it is would be to somehow forcibly inject Wasteland into the format.

Getting back in, I actually like that they're two different formats. Having different decks be viable in each is really important to making the formats appealing, otherwise you just get Legacy and lovely Legacy.

I agree that they need some a good land that punishes greedy manabases that isn't tec edge or ghost quarter, though. Right now the mana is greedier in Modern than it is in Legacy it seems.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

I like how we still haven't found out what Vial of Dragonfire does.

Vial of Dragonfire {6}

Artifact

During your upkeep, you may add a Dragonfire counter to ~this.

T: Place a dragon creature from your hand onto the battlefield with CMC equal to the number of Dragonfire counters on this.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

"holds a thing tapped forever, flies, has 3 toughness"

*has frost titans protection.

Like come the gently caress on it's a hybrid of both it's not like either comparison is invalid.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

Which it doesn't, so let us enter the sperg zone

I want the thread title changed to "spoiler, argument stadium"

Eh it's close enough to warrant the comparison.

I wish they would show a card that looked modern playable.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

Not that I agree with any Hasbro rumors but the rumor was "all fall large sets must have a cycle of duals to sell packs"

Saying otherwise is silly since AVR didn't have a cycle. Did RoE? I feel like no.

RoE had one nonbasic IIRC and it was Eldrazi Temple and it is not a good card.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

You could totally make a playable six mana dromoka's command.

Pretty happy with the command cycle other than that, though. Way closer to balanced than the Lorwyn era cycle.

Sixmana Command (4WG)

Choose two:

Put a 5/5 Wurm Token into play
Creatures you control gain protection from a color of your choice
Search your library for a land and put it into play tapped
Gain 2 life

Seriously though I am glad they avoided making it a commander command and instead made it a reasonable 2 mana command.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Does anyone have any recommendations on recent duel decks for casual play?

My girlfriend is interested in playing and I dug out an old 30 card intro deck for both green and red, and we've played a few games with those but they're both unevenly matched (T3 centaur courser vs a deck that is entirely 1/1 and 2/1 goblins with Shocks is lame) and will quickly grow boring as poo poo.

I'm hoping to like buy Elspeth/Kiora and 1-2 other duel deck packages (I think the local shop has Jace vs Vraska and some Mardu Wardude vs Something? Speed vs Cunning?) so we can have a few different "evenly paced" matches and she can figure out what she likes about those decks, then we'll take her to the Magic Origins Pre-Release, wherein she can crush some people who underestimate her due to her vagina-ownership and then she'll have the competitive bug and we can play Legacy or Modern together by Christmas :v:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Jabor posted:

Ultimately the reason Tribal is a card type (and not a supertype) is so that they could print Tarmogoyf as a teaser for Planeswalkers, while also introducing a new card type for it to count.

Didn't they use it in futuresight first? I thought there's a pacifism variant that is a rebel that they used to show off the mechanic.

C-Euro posted:

Question for the floor- what's an "acceptable" number of eternal playables for a new block? For formats where things aren't rotating out, is there a certain number of new cards that need to be relevant in order to shake things up, or is that you need one or two cards that really make an impact? If you're trying to keep a non-rotating format fresh, which is better?

A single card like treasure cruise, mental misstep, deathrite shaman can warp a whole format on their own.

If you're trying to keep a non-rotating format fresh, I think having several low-power playables is probably better to one format warping superstar. It's more fun when a lot of different decks get some new tools and new variants can happen, but when you have a format warping superstar come out what it really does is push out a lot of fringe decks and improve the blue decks.

Cards like Young Pyromancer and Brimaz are examples of the kind of power level I'm talking about having several of come out at any given time.

Snapcaster is pretty awesome but he's still not as format warping as DRS/TC/MM.

Bumping this from a few pages ago,

Does anyone have any recommendations for which duel decks are fun / to avoid from the recent releases?

My girlfriend is interested in magic and I want some fun/balanced decks to graduate her into once she gets bored of the trial decks I have.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 13, 2015

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Hand of Emrakul was playable, it was just narrower than Ulamog's Crusher because it was only powerful in a eldrazi token-based deck.

I'd love to believe that this is Rise of the Eldrazi 2.0 but Rise didn't look interesting out the gate until you started drafting it and playing the cards and seeing all the non-obvious synergies and typical board states.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

I can't wait for this horrible speculation to gently caress me in the rear end, no lube.
:getin:

This isn't even a big gamble gently caress me.

I can see foils getting up to $10 if this is good in Commander (people still play Commander, right?)

I don't know anything about Standard but this is pretty dogshit in any format that doesn't have 100 mana for red decks.

I would personally speculate on foil 2 mana commands over it though, if I was going to pick cards to speculate on. Those are the ones that could be multi-format all-stars and actually command a decent price.

e: Making snow duals would make Into The North pretty awesome.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Sure, typed at-will flippylands are reasonable if you're looking for something new to put in Conspiracy 2016 so you can ban the original duals in Legacy and keep the format from being strangled by the reserve list. But they're not a cycle they can just print in standard whenever they want, because the usual criteria for a new land cycle is "can't be strictly better than basics", not "can't be strictly better than alpha duals".

Banning the original duals in favor of a functional reprint isn't going to fix the cost of legacy. Modern has shown that as individual card prices drop the high card but the rest of the cards in the deck rise up.

Also you'd do better to not ban the cards that the entire legacy playing field has to get new people to play. You'd do better to just make the new lands thereby having even more lands in circulation.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

I just had an opponent scoop because he Scapeshifted, which made my heart skip a beat because I thought I was at 18, but I was at 20. He had 7 lands in play and is at 5 life.

He does his thing and tells me he is going to distribute 3 of his 6 triggers of valakut onto Master of the Pearl Trident, Merrow Rejerery, and Kira, Great Glass Spinner.

"So the three on my creatures get countered and I take 9 and go down to 11?"

What? How?

"Kira."

He reads it and scoops.
Is it wrong to feel bad because my opponent punted and it's pretty much the reason he loses?

Yesterday at an event I'm at 6, my burn opponent is at 7. I have lethal on the board for my next turn.

His play is:
Float 2, fire blast you
I force pitching brainstorm
He pyroblasts force
I force pitching daze on the firestorm again
He goes float 2 (3 total) fireblast again
I go divert fireblast to you?

He marks it down on his sheet.
" I have you at 3 and me at 4 now?" "Yeah". "My turn?" "Yeah"

Untap, win, explain how divert works. I had hit him with divert in game 2 as well but he had been tapped out then so when I explained the card I guess he ignored the pay 2 part and just assumed that if I was playing divert it was a good play (it was my only play).

I didn't feel bad at all. Everyone makes mistakes and punts. You are punting in every game you play, it just isn't always obvious and the margins may be smaller.

Kid still got to crush a lot of dreams and make it into top 8 with me too so it worked out for him in the end.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

I imagine they're saving a B/W "Elspeth, Returned" for a special occasion. Maybe the next time we run into the Phyrexians?

Also I don't think she'd be pissed off since the Returned have no memories of their time in the Underworld or their former lives. She'd just be bouncing from place to place doing whatever with her cool gold mask.

Since I took a 3 year hiatus, is there a cliff's notes version of the magic history from Scars of Mirrodin onward?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Innistrad was gothic horror. Nothing of note happened in terms of the ongoing storyline other than Liliana acquired a magic veil and Garruk was cursed by it, so now he's sort of evil and G/B.

Return to Ravnica was basically Jace Beleren fanfiction. He went there and solved everyone's problems and was proclaimed basically king of the entire loving planet.

Theros was Elspeth going to Not Greek Mythology Themepark. She met some dude and they hosed, but then this other planeswalker tricked her into murdering him so he could be a God (the world has Gods who get power if enough people believe they are Gods). She decides he's a dick and tracks him down. She makes a couple of deals with other Gods to do this, but then when she succeeds in killing the mean God, the other Gods turn out to be dickbags and kill her and then drag her to the underworld. She's "dead," but very clearly still sitting around there.

Khans of Tarkir block is Sarkhan going home because he's loving nuts and Ugin (one of Sorin's mates) convinced him to go there and do some time-travel poo poo. There's no actual method described how he does this, he just does. He saves Ugin and goes back to the present where he now has even more powers and dragons are everywhere. Also, his waifu from the previous timeline of Tarkir is now a planewalker also.

Wait so is Ugin just a planeswalker? I thought he was like an elemental-beyond-planeswalkin' type counterpart to the Eldrazi, but he's just Sorin's bro?

I mean I guess that makes sense since he's got a planeswalker card but I thought he was more important given the whole Ugin/Eldrazi connection in Zendikar.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

They have

E: for more content I just cracked an Ugin from the last of my GP Vancouver packs. How good is it in GR Tron?

It's like an All is Dust that you can cast into a board to also just win the game. You can't turn 3 him though, whereas you can all is dust. I run a 1 of instead of a oblivion stone because o-stone is also 8 mana to blow up the world and gets abrupted a lot in my 80% abzan meta.

In a world where you ultimate him it feels amazing. Typically you just wipe the board and he sticks around next turn to win the game or he eats a bolt, either way that's better than all is dust.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Myth Realized is definitely the real deal, it's really common for it to grow to be like a 6/6 or bigger as long as you're running some anticipates and cruises alongside.

I'm assuming you're only testing it in Standard and not good formats?

I'm curious as to whether it makes the cut for modern.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Lol at calling Modern good in its current form.

Legacy is the actual good format but I don't think it has a place there.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Serious question: is there anyone here who actually plays a paper Modern deck that looks anything like the 4 Goyf, 4 Bob 4 Lili lists you see at Modern PTs? Someone else brought up that the metagame for Modern is probably a lot more balanced in a world where people don't really just have any deck they want. I can't imagine the local metagame anywhere really has a ton of those decks outside of a GP or Open or something. We don't fire enough Modern events around here for me to even really know what the meta is around town. I'm running the Modern Event Deck with Bitterblossom in it (which cost individually more than the Event Deck did). Even that seems a little spendy for a deck I rarely play, but it still cost less than a Tarmogoyf.

My entire loving modern meta is $2,000 Abzan.

On the other hand my legacy meta has a ton of blackbordered duals, too.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I miss when the pre-release promo was a multi-format all-star with alt art and foil.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

Would burn survive the banning of Lightning Bolt?

Aaaaaaand, go~!

Burn would, but I think if you were looking to power down burn for that guy's format you'd want to hit Fireblast, Chain Lightning, and Lava Spike, in that order (but likely all 3). Fireblast gives burn too much speed, Chain Lightning is the second best bolt in the format, and Lava Spike is arguably worse than Rift Bolt but Rift Bolt is slower, so that goes.

At that point I think you've got enough holes in your monocolored bolts that you're splashing and/or relying on a lot more 2 drops, which mean you're no longer a turn 3 consistent clock against the 2/3 color decks that go fetch shock, fetch shock.

This way you get to keep Lightning Bolt in the format which is the number 1 reason to play Red as a splash, so you're encouraging diversity.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Can't you just, uh

Fetch for basics like you do in Modern Junk against Burn

I mean since the whole point of his great new magic format is to not be modern I would assume you might try to cast spells that aren't siege rhino and therefore to hit like a hymn on turn 2 you would not want to have fetched double swamps.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Zoness posted:

whats bug is that sultai or something

It's pronounced Team America.

Hymn really only shows up in Shardless BUG and Jund but it was the first example of a 1 card play that would invite you to find duals to cast your other spells sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Would Cabal Therapy be fair game as a card that could see a reprint, functional or otherwise, at some point in the future in Standard?

I think you could remove the flashback and print it. That removes all of the reasons that it is more powerful than thought seize / duress / inquisition.

The flashback turns it into this card that would probably be too pushed for modern between the strength of existing token generators and the combo potential that being a mill able sack outlet provides.

• Locked thread