Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Bachtere, how did you get that mossy rock effect for that boar mini? I've got a few minis set up for that it I didn't know how to go about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks! I started with the cork like you, but I used some ballast for texture. It's probably too large but I'm learning basing so no big deal. Do you glue down your flock before painting the base?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I need help. :negative:

I can't think of a nice scheme for the Legion half of my Hordes starter box I split with my girlfriend. She would like something that resembled Adventure Time in palette, and I wanted to do something that would contrast with my autumn-like circle half, but nothing is really coming together for me. Colder colors to contrast mine and make the set pop more on the table, but do I go with chameleon patterns with bright lateral lines? Sea-life patterns like ringed octopi? Insects? I'm stumped and don't want to continually re-strip the shredders trying to make something work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: The Circle I'm trying to play them off of.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/r6Yd92]

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 5, 2015

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Bachtere, do you have a album somewhere I can download? You always have amazing stuff I'd like to learn from.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Are there goon approved pinks? I checked out the op for the recommended paint list and didn't see anything to that effect. We've decided on a pink/cyan scheme for an Everblight army and my old tentacle pink pot won't last.

Also, any metallic tutorials? Using P3 silver with some blue washes is still coming up pretty flat. :/

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Hubis posted:

have you tried using metallic medium?

I haven't. I am putting together a little order list to get back into painting though. Sounds good.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

VoodooXT posted:

Have you tried P3 Carnal Pink?

I can give it a shot. The only pink I've tried to work with is an old pot of tentacle pink.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks, appreciate the suggestions.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Maybe a mossy-old effect, like they've been sitting outside in a forest for decades? Gives you an excuse to use greens and dark blues.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

BULBASAUR posted:

Good painting words

So, are you familiar with the PP Legion of Everblight beasties? My girlfriend wants me to use pink, which I can do, but working it into a scheme that still works and pops on the table is confusing for a pleb like me. Any suggestions?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
You're a treasure. Thanks! I'll see what I can do!

Edit: I've been asked to see if opalescent or iridescent effects are possible on minis. That might be out of my range but there you go.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 11, 2016

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Well, that's interesting to know. Thanks.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I did not do well. I apparently don't remember how to use washes and my attempt to do pink highlights and color building came out splotchy and uneven. That's two hours right into the simple green bath.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I learned a thing today! I'm nearsighted with astigmatisms and alternate between glasses and contacts. When I was oathing I wore glasses, and could see the smaller details clearly enough to paint. Lately I've had trouble finding details, lines to highlight, and keeping my paint consistent when holding things up to paint. I haven't had glasses in months.

Looks like I'm going back to the eye doc.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Lethemonster posted:

I've been playing about with some editing to get my photos to look closer to the real thing. How does this mini look to you guys? Anything wrong with the image quality on anyone elses monitor?

Are these supposed to look like a cresting ocean wave in the form of a screamer? That's an excellent idea, lighting problems or not.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Hi, it's me, Dr. Red Ranger. I last posted about hams way back in 2014(?) about my plague marines, but life happened and I wasn't able to continue then. Anyway these days I have more free time because it's hard to get a full time job in my field and I made a thing to help keep busy.

I have no idea what plague marines do these days or what the rules look like or what have you, I just used a guy from the Putrid Blightkings box and wanted to give him a heavy bolter, since plague marines and big, inelegant bricks of a weapon go together like dysentery and vomiting. Something imposing and threatening simply from the silhouette. It's a mockup for now but if it's not too crazy an idea I'll glue things in and start adding eyes, tubes and so on.

I hope the chain works; I was having a heck of a time trying to get something to work with pairs of arms but the broad character wasn't allowing it. I want to drape more ammo belts around him so I think I'll have to do some bits orders from the ork boyz kit, if that's still a thing

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Crosspostin' because remember this guy?

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Well, it's coming along.

Lil' Nuggles First Day at War was a fun idea I had while browsing on Hoard O' Bits (thanks for the recommendation!) and it was so silly I couldn't not do it. So as he stands he's a combination of Ork shootas, plague marines, chaos marines, blight kings and whatever kit the silly Nurglings come from. Right now he feels a little bland up top but I suppose I could sculpt some cables or something coming out the back of his head. I also clipped off the weird extra spike on the end of the bolter and replaced it with a bell.

The bolter itself is what happens when you get the fun idea to use the split fly head halves from the Blightking set and have to figure out a way to make it look good. I like to think it came out looking nice and John Blanche-y.

Also I am very down for Death Guard model schemes with bright accents and that radioactive green verdigris on that drone look noice, Mr. Teatime. How did you achieve those colors for the brass, plating and the greens? That's pretty close to what I wanted to do when I started painting again (oh godddd).

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 16, 2019

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
10/10 would get never surrendered again

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Cthulu Carl posted:

Kudzu and those giant flowers that smell like rotting meat.

Speaking of rafflesia, I used to use those jungle tree sprues that came with the old battleforces to make rafflesia stand ins. If you do bright colored nurgle to go for the fecund, vivid neon mold and rot growth stuff that could be a good idea.

You can kinda see it there on the base. Please excuse the terrible 15 year old paint job.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
That's just lovely. How did you manage the wear and rust on the leg plates?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

That Gobbo posted:

Mainly a lot of sponging and oil weathering to really grunge it up.

Ok, nice, never done that before. Would you think a technique like that would work on something the size of, say, a blightking?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

That Gobbo posted:

Totally! I did something pretty similar on one of the Space Marine Heroes Terminators:

Thanks so much! I have a small project I need to finish once I get some techniques figured out and I think it would be perfect for effect.

I need to figure out water effects for the little channel he's dropping casings into but I think it'll be rad.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 30, 2019

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

ijyt posted:

Gigantic pics aside that kitbash/conversion is dope, I really like the gross eye on the gun.

Three eyes, three barrels, figured it would make a nice nurgly multigun. I have a box of blightkings I decided to use as Obiterators themed as Aspects of Nurgle so they'll fit in a CSM army some day. This guy has a cross between a heavy bolter and a demonic botfly. I think the next one will have the scythe bit extended into a spooky plasma cannon and mushrooms sprouting up the other side (because compost generates heat, you see).

Also crap I forgot how to image resize, sorry.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks Zaodai

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Man, there are some amazing paint jobs here!

So this is my Emperor's Children Demon Prince I bashed up. He's the first model I've painted in a year or so, but I'll post the updates once I get a bit further on with him.

If anyone's demon princes are going to be Final Fantasy bosses it would be the EC. I like it.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

R0ckfish posted:

My Maleceptor has finished drying, they are a big brain fella.

Simple, but ruthlessly clean and effectively executed. He looks great.

Do you use water effects often? Do you have a recommendation or know a good primer for using it?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

R0ckfish posted:

I use vallejo still water and it is fairly simple, my big suggestion is that if you want dynamic water while being lazy is to sculpt it into the river bed with sculptamold or something similar. Once the water effects are on, it looks deeper then it is while having ripples and such. The other thing is to use a dam at the edges of the water for the main pour, then later on dab a bit on with a spatula like tool to the water on the dam without everything flowing out. One last thing, always do the water before grass or anything or you will regret it. :v:

Thanks! Does it take color well? If I wanted it to have a dirty or sickly green tint to it, would you mix it with a color or just paint the stream floor that way?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Hey, I haven't painted anything since 2014, so I picked up a little project to get back into it. I got some of those fancy new plague marines and wanted to use a Nausicaa style theme, like so-

The background will be something like, an old feral world in the middle of nowhere that was used as a Space Marine recruiting ground was invaded by a "great menace from the stars", and the local war ended with a Kryptmann style exterminatus on the world. Everything was dead and dust for millenia until a mysterious cosmic benefactor chanced upon it and took pity on the dead, reseeding the world with ever expanding fungal wastes and toxic forests. In the wake of the new growing ecology, fossils of man and monster alike from millennia past rise with warped forms and unknown purpose, shepherded by Plague Marines, of course. I plan on having insect/tyranid monsters resembling the giant cicadas and dragonflies from Nausicaa as demons, and WHFB skeletons with as plague zombies, representing the bones of the old feral culture rising as well. Hopefully with a fungal tinge to the bones and appropriate growths and corrosion going on so they don't look out of place. So I need a scheme

This is what I have so far. I started with Vulkan Green and worked up from there, thinking I had something good going on, but once the other colors started coming down I realized I may need to make that contrast harder. I used the colors I had on hand to do the Darren Latham corrosion effect and it worked well enough, although what I tried to do on the blades didn't really work out and I'm going to redo them. Same for the bolter; I had an idea but I don't think it really worked out. You can see that I tried to give him a Zaku style cyclops eye but it didn't quite come through either- I did a great deal of relearning about paint consistency and I think that contributed to my difficulty. Blue for the growthy bits matched the reference picture but I'm not sure it was the right color choice for the model either.

Anyone have any suggestions while I'm working this out? Once i get the weapons figured out I need to do basing and I'm worried that it will need to be a brighter, pink/light blue sandy base like the opening of the movie, with cracked earth effects. Learning opportunities!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I think it's about time I ask for help painting power armor. How do you highlight that nonsense, and where? It's just big flat planes with little to no defining features, and worse still, I apparently have forgotten how to apply paint to models, or to get an appropriate consistency. I so far I've managed to get "too thick and streaky" and "too thin, and streaky". I tried making a glaze to shade like I'd seen in a youtube video but it even with vigorous mixing of water it dries streaky. I have matte medium, but that just seems to increase the viscosity of the paint somehow. I'm feeling lost and just want to paint my plague marines.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks everyone. I'll take your advice wrt to power armor and see what I can do with it. I'm probably just tunnel visioning on it trying to make the best of my short time off.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Just got the greeny tentaclly bits to do in purple now

I enjoy this greatly, thank you.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

R0ckfish posted:

Got some more Orlocks done!

It may be because I just rewatched Event Horizon, but these guys look like the lovable scoundrel hired help in the last quarter of the sci-fi monster movie who decided to stay behind to slow down the baddies while the protagonists escape the exploding hive/crippled cargo ship/doomed colony about to self destruct. I like to think their names are Ishmael and Captain Cutter.

EDIT: Of course, when all seems lost for our plucky crew, immediately after they resign themselves to their bleak fate, the protagonists return on the escape ship to pick them up through the back hatch because test audiences loved them too much.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 20, 2020

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Doesn't alcohol also eat the plastic apart? I have some older mixed metal/plastic models I need to strip and I'm afraid to ruin them.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I'm still trying to nail down a scheme to use on my plague boys, and accidentally recreated Tarantulus' scheme from Beast Wars. Oops. I can't find the option to change the size of images shared from imgur anymore, and I don't have a light box so the shots are outside and a big overexposed, but it's what I have. Anyway, I'll try to take this as a learning experience. C&C very welcome.

1). His right arm is green because I was experimenting with brighter greens, and changed my mind afterwards. There's a few mistakes like this that I left to help me think about my choices. For example, I originally just tried to paint the rivets blue, but I accidentally hit one with my metal highlight and left it so I could compare the effect.

2). My brush control is bad, and there's no way I can do simple edge highlighting right now. I try to brace my hands, but I think paint consistency and brush tip control are weaknesses.

3). I need to stop trying to blend shades that are too far away. It creates too much work, and because my brush control isn't great it just makes more room for sloppy mistakes.

4). I struggle with color choice. I have a sort of idea of what I want but I don't have the, uh, art vocabulary to express it. Not sure how to fix that.

5). I need to not be afraid to use brighter colors. I think what I'm going for wants high contrast anyway.

6). Lol I still struggle with flat areas on power armor. How do I highlight and shade it? Where do I put the colors?

7). I thought to attempt some green, oily leakage from the holes (which I also struggle with highlighting cleanly), but Biel-Tan green didn't show up very much. Would thinned down Moot Green work? These things dry darker than they go on, and I'm not good at layering colors yet so this all just feels like a messy, clumsy attempt at imitating other's work.

8) I didn't try to do any corrosion, rust, or other wear effects. The lgs sells Secret Weapon weathering powder; does anyone have experience with that?

So, these pictures are the inspiration for the aesthetic I want- I would like to create the image of looming, creepy warriors trudging through a fungal landscape that you would expect to see out of Nausicaa or an old Ralph Bakshi film. I still plan on using a bunch of Warhammer Fantasy skeletons as plaguebearers/poxwalkers, and maybe even paint the unit leaders with red skulls as Redcaps, but if I'm going to make a fungal themed army I need to make sure I have the aesthetic down.

As for basing, well I like the image of a dusty, rhyzoid crusted, windswept plains but that's a bit out of my expertise too.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 20, 2020

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Spanish Manlove posted:

Honestly, the linework on the edge highlighting works for that aesthetic and I would suggest leaning into it further as the messiness looks good to me. If you're going for a fungal forest look maybe try emulating some lichen/moss that built up on one side of the marine. Practice on a piece of sprue before testing it on a model. Idk what kind of moss would grow in your forest but some desaturated blue/green sploches with some black spots could work. For a base, a fuckton of moss with a turned over log and little mushrooms would be the way I'd go. Easy peasy just glue a shitload of green flock on it then wash it with a little bit of watered down nuln oil to darken things up and then a really watered down agrax earthshade to mix with the black in order to make a sort of dirt. For the logs just get a box of wooden pencils that are cylindrical not hexagonal , shave off the paint on the outside sloppily so it'll have divots and knotches, break them into 1" pieces, push out the graphite core, dip them in brown wash, glue onto base, drybrush black.

But with the blue/blue/bronze color I get a deep sea vibe so if you want to go with that some algae weathering with light rust could look sick too.

Deep Sea nurgle is a neat idea I hadn't thought of before, and that's a clever idea for logs too. The image I have in my head for the bases is something like the edge of the toxic jungle in Nausicaa, if you've seen it. Just like the pictures in my previous post, with a variety of colorful (but desaturated) fungal growths constituting a forest, and the remains of communities still visible along the edges are in a desert, but "mossed" over with fungal spores and wispy rhizoid growths that obviously blew over the buildings and skeletal trees from the direction of the jungle. The light "sand" of the desert being that slightly purple shaded muted white color because it's dessicated fungal dust. Maybe do both types of bases; some half desert and some jungle with "trees" and mossy ground showing that neat dark purple/blue/green gradient as you go up the trunks like in the second picture, so over a larger army I can represent the force slowly plodding out of the jungle to take more victims. That first image with the orange spikes against the dark green mossy ground just looks neat, and I considered doing all the horns that way if the armor ended up green.

But balancing that palette with what I need the marines to look like to fit the aesthetic and still look good on the table feels confusing.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I enjoy your rats, and the simple but effective nmm effect.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I love the impcat app so much. I spent some time playing around with the palette I have, trying to recreate the feel I think I'm going for. I like the middle scheme the most so far because it reminds me of the bold colored Metroid fungal jungle levels. I went with orange to try and recreate the bright spike fungus look but I'm not sure if it translates well to the models themselves. Of course this is all assuming I can even recreate something as clean as the app results.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I struggled getting the look I wanted on the eyes. I think the last one is the only one I managed to get close to the glowing look I was going for. Or the others blanked out the eye slots. I don't know what to do with weapons yet, but it's a start.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 6, 2020

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Verisimilidude posted:

I’m trying to understand photography, CC is appreciated

I like these a lot. The burgundy cloth, green vines and bright bones contrast really well with the dull rusty armor. Nice dress too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Does anyone use weathering powders? I bought some neat Secret Weapon colored powders for rust/dirt/oxidation effects and I wondered if we had any resident dirt wizards I could learn from.