Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Dalael posted:

Just wondering... Are the servers open to play, or they are just taking registrations?
I want my botes fix damnit!

E: Are we downloading a new client, or updating the beta weekend client?

New client if you used the weekend one- although if you had the alpha client it'll update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Isn't there a key to follow your shells? I thought it was MMB in the weekend test but it does nothing now. Or does it only work with BBs?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Desuwa posted:

It's still in beta. There's no reason to assume it'll be different from WoWP in that gold will be unified for the real release.

Yeah - your progress is certainly going to be wiped when the beta ends, they can't let you spend your actual gold on stuff that'll be deleted.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Is there any way to set AP as your default ammo? I pretty much always want to be starting with it, but sometimes I forget to switch because I tab out while battles load.

E: Haha - Got a DD and started out firing torps between islands only for a friendly cruiser to turn directly into them. He bitches, I mention he turned into them, he claims to have been tabbed out and fires at me. I think fair enough and sail on, but the poo poo keep shooting me, so I turn back and give him a full torp spread - sinking him. Ugh. Then a friendly DD starts torping me, so I torp him too and we both explode. Now the first crusier is going to get his "admin friend" to ban me :ohdear:

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 13, 2015

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Got the TIII Battleship - an enemy T4 BB decided to ram me and we both sunk. 45k free damage to me :shrug:

Then I got the T3 IJN DD. First match, stock:

:lol:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Dunno-Lars posted:

Not sure if this has been posted, but Darkrenown, you are famous.

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/7582-bad-manners/

Can't see the chat in the picture attached, so no idea what you did :P

The dude posting the thread was slapped on his wrist by a moderator for name shaming.

He's the Cruiser in my story:

Darkrenown posted:

E: Haha - Got a DD and started out firing torps between islands only for a friendly cruiser to turn directly into them. He bitches, I mention he turned into them, he claims to have been tabbed out and fires at me. I think fair enough and sail on, but the poo poo keep shooting me, so I turn back and give him a full torp spread - sinking him. Ugh. Then a friendly DD starts torping me, so I torp him too and we both explode. Now the first crusier is going to get his "admin friend" to ban me :ohdear:

Who could have guessed his "admin friend" was fictional, and the idiot is publicly admitted he was played while tabbed out - being inactive in battles is something they ban for.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Who could have guessed his "admin friend" was fictional, and the idiot is publicly admitted he was played while tabbed out - being inactive in battles is something they ban for.

Actually now have a 1 day ban, so uh, don't shoot back at retards I guess :shrug:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

xthetenth posted:

I've sat down and tabulated firing on ships in a practice room before. The only way the results are explainable is if there's an armor model. Cruisers vs battleships are good for illustrating that against citadel hits an immune zone is a very real thing. Ships that show flat sides can be citadel hit at ranges where ones that are angled can't. It's a pretty clear order of deck pen, immune zone, belt pen, immune zone. This patch has seemed a bit weird so maybe that's obscuring it but fighting as if its modeled how they say its modeled has given results as if it was modeled. No we don't have War thunder modeling, it's broken down into larger roughly similar chunks, but if anything that reduces the randomness of tiny differences smaller than the margin of error having huge differences.

They had some blog posts about armour early on, for example:
http://blog.worldofwarships.com/awaiting-alpha-how-to-pierce-the-armor-2/

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

One of the big tests that finally led to them admitting the torpedo was hosed took place in Hawaii. They had a submarine fire a spread of torpedoes at a cliff, the majority of which failed to explode. The warheads also failed to function when dropped from a crane, straight into the ground, from a height of 100 feet.

:itwaspoo:

The Germans had problems too. I also seem to remember some other problem that lead to torpedoes tending to pull to one side, sometimes looping around in a big circle leading back to the boat that fired it, but that's not mentioned here.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Axetrain posted:

I hope the Cleveland is worth it because the Phoenix feels like straight garbage. Admittedly I'm real bad at this though.

My second battle in a stock Phoenix:

Torped 3 DDs and a BB to death while sinking 2 Cruisers with guns. The last DD and I both popped round an island and killed each other at the same time with torps :getin:

SuperSix posted:

nobody seems to expect cruisers to spit out torps

This is very true.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 21, 2015

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I just got in the mood for some botes again, and holy poo poo the WG site is awful at explaining the beta economy. What I was trying to find out:
1) Is there any known "Play X battles during beta for a reward" stuff?
2) Do they seriously expect me to buy special currency for the beta? I can't use the piles of gold I have on my account?
3) What, if anything, carries over to the live game? I assume the Beta BB from the CBT does at least.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Final game in the St Louis:

Now onto the Phoenix! :toot:

I can't believe they still haven't added a way to show separate Torpedo reload when you have side mounts or a way to lock your rear turrets to a side or in place so the don't swing all the way to one side while you're sailing forward.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Also, I don't suppose there's any EU version of that?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Mmm, of course it's equally easy to gain access to Gamescon as it is to buy a code online. I'm a game dev and I don't even go to Gamescon/GDC very often.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Burt posted:

If you are just starting and have some cash, get some of the best premium ships. The Warspite, Atlanta and Murmansk are just super cash and exp earners. They will all teach you how to play to the strengths of the relative class;

Is the Warspite on sale anywhere?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

PirateBob posted:

What's this about hunting letters :confused:

If you're on the EU server you should get used to not having any interesting specials :sigh:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Final battle with the Wyoming was pretty good:

Although, just to spoil it I noticed I had a mission to destroy 8 planes in a battle right after this :argh:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Well ranked battles are only going to be T6-7 or something, so it would be worth keeping good ships in those theirs I suppose? Not that it helps for the Kongo.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
:ussr: :hitler:

quote:

Captains, the Russian destroyers will be steaming into World of Warships in October, along with the German cruisers.
http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/rude-ships/

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Polish destroyer had a news post too:
http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/blyskawica-announcement/

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
MM changes:
http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/matchmaking-revamped/

Has the Tirpitz always only faced T8 or higher ships? Seems like some nasty MM there.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Oh I thought it was tiers they can see for some reason :confused:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Warspite is on sale again on EU. Sounds like it's pretty good?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

Do you like a Battleship whose soft stats are pretty much good to great across the board? 6km secondaries? Solid AA? Good, albeit short ranged primaries? A really good turning radius?Do you like CV players saying "drat, I didn't realize your AA was that good"? Check check and check :D

It's hands down my favourite ship.

I like all of those things! :shepspends:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The Wyoming is kind of miserable. Those guns must have no penetration because AP just slides right off every BB I shoot it at. I thought it was me, right up until I took out Myogi and started punching citadels at 20KM.

Huh. I was just coming here to ask if the Myogi has super lovely pen because I cannot seem to citadel anything with it, even at short range.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
The news article says you can't sell them, so either they didn't stop you correctly or clicking yes wouldn't do anything.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

James Garfield posted:

I hardly ever get torpedoed by teammates that were genuinely trying to hit the enemy, either, though pubs launching from 10 km outside their maximum range are a different story. If you're consistently getting team killed by players who are close enough to hit the enemy you're probably doing something wrong.

I was in a match with an Omaha last night, who sat about 2-3 KM behind me and kept loving launching torps at an enemy about 10km ahead of me. I fired a spread back at him after the 2nd time, but I missed :(

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
The 19th. Or you can pick up one of each now by getting 4 kills in either main nation.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

There was fear of Tigers on both fronts

:ohdear:

("Fear" is a pretty worthless metric)

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 16, 2015

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Lots of changes coming:
http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/cbt/dev-bulletin-051/

"Now the simple and annoying (for many players) trick of dropping torpedoes directly at a ship's board will become less effective."

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I would hate this game much less if all the BBs would stop being such back of the map sniper bitches. So when I play a BB I need to either hang back hoping for lucky hits at 20km, or sail in for a few moments of actually fun brawling before exploding due to being in range of their entire team :argh:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

When I'm playing a BB, I'll snipe for a little while in the beginning, but then will just go in at some point and try to do as much damage as I can before I die. One of my favorite games was sailing up the middle in Two Brothers in my Tirpitz, torpedoing one red Tirpitz and ramming another. Another time I did that, I fired torpedoes on both sides of me all the while my secondaries are broadsiding like crazy. It was glorious.

Those are the best games.

WoT has a small hidden XP boost for doing damage to tanks within 200m of yourself, I wonder if a larger and more visible boost for close range (under 10km, say) BB damage would motivate pubbies to close the range?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I got that prem DD:

I kinda like it!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
EU is selling the Imperator Nikolai I, a t4 Russian BB. Can anyone tell me about it?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Zotix posted:

Is matchmaker giving one team 6 players more than the other a common thing? Seriously what the gently caress goes wrong that one team gets like 7-8 players and the other team has like 14.

Did the lower number team have the halloween super ship?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
This thread got pretty confusing until I realised the default avatar had changed.

It's nice the low tier German ships get a buff, although I can't help being somewhat salty as I just finished grinding the Karlsruhe.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Sounds silly to me, more ships is more variety which makes the game more interesting, it was getting pretty dull only seeing USA/IJN ships until recently. Although I do wish they're add the goddamn Royal Navy.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Wonder it it's a wrong decimal there too? "Penetration factor * 10" instead of 1.0 etc

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
You could just target them and hit F3, I think, for the "Focus fire" emote/marker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

Yeah. I'm more than a tiny bit upset.

And ranked is loving awful. I don't want to sit in queue for 6 minutes to find out if my team is going to forgo any semblance of teamwork and lose horrendously or not. Doesn't matter if I get 3 kills and torpedo the poo poo out of everything, if my team wants to sit broadside all game and get citadeled to death, and our DDs suicide in at the start of the match, I can't do poo poo.

I thought the Kitakami was just a loaner ship, like the Russian DD and German CA they gave out for a bit before the trees arrived?