Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Yes, it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Today I learned you can report bots in Co-op mode for being bots.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Dalael posted:

No, I had not heard of that before. I know very little about that time period in history but I will definitely read about it now. It seems pretty interesting.

Not naval based, but Japan tried to bully the Russians in the 1930s and got their poo poo pushed in, which helps explain why they weren't keen the help out their German allies against them in WWII:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet%E2%80%93Japanese_border_conflicts

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I was thinking of getting back into WoWS, and while this doesn't stop me from doing so it's annoying not to read the news/specials: Chrome won't open the wows eu website. Anyone know what could cause this? I can open the .com site, but I briefly see it before being automatically redirected back to the EU site which never loads.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

The Royal Navy was very strong, it just sometimes looks feeble retrospectively because of how much it was stretched trying to defend the largest empire in history almost single handedly against two, and then three well equipped enemies, and how quickly the US was able to turn industrial might and battlefield experience into the largest, and scariest, navy ever seen. At the start of the war they had more bases, more ships, and more sailors than any other navy, their ship designs were all sound, and they had a vast depth of institutional experience to inform training and improvement - they just suffered from being forced to stand still due to lack of manufacturing ability, and for being the nation that stuck to the treaty restrictions the longest.

Also they had a lot of compromises from following the Washington naval treaty, unlike Germany and Japan etc.

Ugh, I may just suck since I just came back to WoWS, but the mission to sink 2 DDs in the Warspite really infuriated me. The gun sigma just splashes shells all around them even when my aim is on point. I ended up doing stage 5 of the campaign on XP repeats without sinking a single DD.

Also, what's the key to switch camera to your in flight shells/torps? MMB only seems to work as you fire them, but I have seen people doing it in videos.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
A funny story: The final stage of Bismarck is do 350k damage. Somehow instead of selecting it I re-did the first part of stage 7, do 300k damage. And now the event is over. Good times :suicide:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Burt posted:

Just let me put this here.

:japan:

Lemmie join you

I killed that Clemson, but I was so busy shooting him I ran into an island and ate his torps after he died. Pretty sure I would have killed the last BB if not for that.
:france:

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 11, 2017

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Am I missing something or is it impossible to see rewards for tasks ingame? Like I am doing Science of Victory, and besides the final task in each mission the reward just shows as a create - I need to look on the wiki to see which ones have flags or free XP etc.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Burt posted:

Are you trusted with scissors?

gently caress off.

Heartcatch posted:

Mousing over the crate should show what is in it.

Apparently mods can break this as clearing out does indeed make them show on mouseover.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

The Chappy is far from useless, and trying to say its weak because you get killed by Yamatos is ntrabbit-level stupid. :potato:

Helping.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
So I tried carriers and one thing is bugging me, if I try to ctrl click on enemy planes/ships or the minimap it doesn't seem to focus them or ping like in other ship types. Do CVs just not get to do this or is there another way?

Also, I have seen via the wiki and some youtube vids that some ships have different heal mechanics, e.g. the Hood, Warspite, and Colorado, at least all have more powerful heals - but is this shown in the game anywhere? Are you just mean to keep notes on how much you are healing per ship or am I missing where it's displayed?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Thanks!

E: Oh a new page.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

MikeC posted:

Historical figures going back to the Tushisma has hit rates between 1-3% when ships fired without radar controls. At Jutland, the only significant battle between fleets of comparable battleship/battlecruiser fleets had major calibre hit rates between 2-4% for the Germans and 1.5-4% for the British depending on which squadrons where involved. World War 2 ships with radar guided guns suggest a hit rate of 5-10% was possible against moving targets. Though several engagements still had significantly lower numbers. Besides technological advancements, procedural changes improved as well between the two wars.

The RN at Jutland used to range targets in entire salvos moving back and forth till they found the right range. However, they had centralized fire control directors so better coordinate fire once the range was found. The Germans used independent fire individual turret commanders but used a more logical approach to ranging in shots, different shots were fired at different ranges in the opening salvos to more quickly find the range. Both fleets quickly adopted each others techniques.

Visibility in the game is just nothing like what the fire directors had to do in real life. Visibility at 14000-15000 was miserable at Jutland and fire directors had instances where they were scared they were firing on friendly ships.

By the same token though, planes in this game have it super easy. No torpedo bomber squadron flies in perfect formation to within 1km of a target and releases a perfect spread. You might as well be lining up for the execution squad. Doing something like that would be suicidal for the TB squadrons which historically took insane casualties even with dispersed approaches and constant small direction changes to try and throw off gunners.

Planes just didn't drop perfect patterns like they do in the game.

The biggest barrier to getting good better at WoWS for me has been accepting that stopping and/or peeking out from behind islands are valid tactics when movement was just an important part of fleet combat. E: Or loving reversing while bow tanking.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 24, 2017

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
There's no point replaying operations once you 5-star them, right? It's a shame since they are quite fun, but it seems like you make a good deal less XP/credits than in randoms.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
So, at what tier does the playerbase understand that you need to cap bases in Dominion battles? :suicide:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I'm quite enjoying the Nürnberg, but I'm about to unlock the Yorck. Is it worth keeping around for stuff? I already have a keeper Cleveland and a De Grasse, so I'm not really lacking T6 Cruisers.

Also, what's the German DD thing? Are they mostly gun-focused, and assuming so, how are they different from USA/Russian DDs?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The Farragut is a goddamn monster in ranked :911:. I am kind of curious how the Gaede would play out, since it has longer range torpedoes and hydro. Seems like it would be good for bullying other DDs, but that American smoke is just too good.

It gets outspotted by other DDs, so unless you have only 1v1s vs DDs you will likely get focused down by the enemy team while invisible DDs spot you. Or at least that is what'd happened to most enemy Gades I have seen.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Is the +40% longer repair party thing ever useful? I have been thinking of selling mine, but it's rare. Had 4 supers since I came back (a month or so?), 3 * 5 mill credits and 1 +40% longer repair party module. All have been when picking regular containers, using the Try your luck option just gives me poo poo, but I can't really complain.

E: Actually, related, does WoWS ever have consumable or equipment sales? And if so, is there a way to bulk buy things? WoT has that, but I have not seen an ingame store here.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 3, 2017

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

No. Its a bad DD. It won't beat a Farragut in a brawl, and a good Shinonome/Fubuki won't fight you near your team... and they'll always dictate the engagement range, meaning they get to turn away and take the first shot. Chasing down a Shinonome is probably a very, very bad idea, as it gets 4 guns on you while showing only stern, and it is much easier to hit a DD approaching you than it is to hit one fleeing.

So the Gnevny has trouble chasing Shinonomes, can't really force Farraguts to fight them unless you're already winning, and its DD utility is low, as it doesn't outspot anything, can't torp smokes effectively, and its smoke is no better than IJN smoke (and inferior clearly to US smoke). I would say its better than the Gaede, but the Gaede has sonar to help BB avoid getting torped, and can torp somewhat effectively, so yeah. The Gnevny is the worst choice for T6 DD.

The only flaw here is most players are awful and you can beat them with whatever. Of course it won't be the case so much in lower ranks. Just last night I was playing in my Fubuki in a 10-15 game. Towards the end of the match I was at like 350hp. I turned around an island and an almost full hp enemy Farragut was RIGHT THERE. I was doomed of course, but my guns were pointed at him and it was too close to miss, so I fired anyway. He smoked up and hid inside it. Sadly torps into the smoke hit nothing, but I was able to sail away unharmed and unspotted and went on to spot and torp poo poo for the rest of the match.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Pacra posted:

so basically what we have learned is unless you have a full premade group for this one, dont bother : [

I 4 stared it first time with randoms and I don't care about the premium time 5th star, so :shrug: It's not that hard.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Trillhouse posted:

I play mostly DDs and I agree. I'm working on the US DD line right now after grinding the khaba and despite the fact that everyone seems to love the Farragut, I just don't enjoy it at all. I've stopped playing it after I get my daily bonus and slapped all the +XP flags and camo I can. I love the high tier gameplay but the midlevel DDs feel very anemic.

Flamu is some kind of wizard, so just playing as well as him is unlikely, but nonetheless here's his video guide on the Farra:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyST8ChvSsg

An unrelated question, do ingame premium sales happen often? The Kutuzov is on sale in the cash store today in EU, and while it's 30% off I would rather use doubloons if ingame sales are reasonably often.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
This Kaga got real mad about hacks and eventually torped himself to death when everyone called him an idiot:

:allears:

AFAIK he meant "strafe" and didn't know you can strafe out of dogfights now.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Ran out of plans? Seek out a terrible BB player and ram him!

(36k damage)
:killdozer:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Who else has been excited for the "grande finale bundle" of the EU sale? Well it's just the Tirpitz :toot:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Since I didn't see it mentioned, the missions/rewards are up for operation dynamo. And uhm. I expect there will be some platooning to grind out the collections. Two interesting rewards are available. One is a french 10 point captain (useful if you have a degrasse and also plan to climb the ladder beyond tier 6 for the french cruisers). The other is another steven seagal. This time, it is for the brits giving the same turret traverse as seagal. However, unlike seagal, this captain also gets a bonus to smoke screen expert (now a 30% boost) and jack of all trades (now a 10% reload bonus). Looks like a pretty solid tree brit cruiser captain.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/the-prestigious-memento-rises/

Kinda want to put him on the Warspite for that turret speed. Also if I'm not just missing it, EU doesn't seem to get a French captain :(

Michaellaneous posted:

Just go full Warship Gunner 2 and let us design out own ships with a million machineguns and battleships full of small caliber penta-turrets.

Anyone who doesn't mind grog UIs should check out Rule the Waves:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/rule-the-waves/

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

So I've been saving up free XP to buy the Missouri; however, I just had this realization: after like 2 months I only have 70k saved. This will take years. Given this, and the fact I won't drop $100 for gold to make up the difference, I'm thinking of spending what I have on the Royal Navy BB line when it launches.

Any idea when that might be?

I came back during the last 10 days of the Bismarck missions and I have about 400k free XP without converting any and spending a fair bit on skipping stock hulls. The key is stacking modifiers, as it'll take forever saving up with the default 5%. You can add +300% and +777% flags, stack them on daily wins or especially when there's larger first win bonuses. Add in missions and camo and it gets quite amazing. For example, an ok game in the Dunk netted me 6k earlier today:

The upcoming Dunkirk event should provide some +777% flags.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Yeah, they said the captains will be removed, but the elite commander XP will stay so it's a good time to farm.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I too look forward to some BB sailing into my smoke, firing, and leaving me unexpectedly visible while stationary.

Pretty sure I would just launch all torps into them at that point.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Warbadger posted:

Pretty sure he suggested BB's not be smoke-able. Not ships around BB's, not Russian cruisers, and not removing smoke in the vicinity of a BB when it fires. If a BB cannot fire while in smoke without himself becoming visible it would not be a buff to BB's.

I was talking about what WG are/were actually testing - other people could sail into your smoke and blow it away with firing. Seems like it's been discarded anyway though.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
On the Detailed XP report, what are Ships bonuses? Do some ships have inbuilt XP modifiers? If so is there a list anywhere, or are any known to be particularly high?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Is there any way to get Large Dunkirk containers in the game besides the once per account Gallant mission?

Speaking of the Gallant, managed to get over 42k commander XP in ranked today:

Those 2 Bayerns decided to sail directly into my smoke very slowly at <10km and I poured single shot torps into their bows :feelsgood:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Polyakov posted:

The To The Rescue daily mission gives you one too.

Nah, unless different servers have different rewards? On EU it's

quote:

Mission: To the rescue!

Restrictions:

Random Battles, Ranked Battles, Scenarios
Once per day
Must be Tier V or higher
Conditions:

Earn 2,000 base XP over any number of battles
Rewards:

1 small Dunkirk event container

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I have a couple of EU server codes for: Warspite, Kamakaze, Gremyashchy and Graf Spee plus 2k dubs and 7 days of prem (all of them, it's a bundle). They are one per account. PM with offer me if interested.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 27, 2017

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Fizzil posted:

A grem in the bundle? and also it works on existing accounts?

Yup to both.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
^^^ There's a button on the lower right of the collection page, if you didn't see it. Although I thought it was 5 for one?

ZombieLenin posted:

I queue up in my Saint-Louis. I play a match, and am disappointed as it's going to be a 126k loss, but that's okay... and that's weird the Equip Your Ship III mission didn't update. Instead I completed Battleship I...

Mid-match the available missions had changed. Yep, I spent a week grinding just French cruisers, with one break a day to run my Galant for the extra Dunkirk crate, chasing 15 containers + a super container, only to come like 1,800 XP short at the last possible moment. :shepicide:

That's harsh, but I managed to gently caress up the bismarck campaign by somehow repeating the first part of the final task (do 300k damage or something) rather than selecting the final part (do 350k damage or something). I stayed up all night and "finished" an hour or two before the server restarted and the campaign ended :suicide:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
^^^ check your PMs

Cippalippus posted:

Edit: code works just fine, however if you already have one of the ships it won't give you doubloons but just a port slot.

Just in case anyone else was expecting gold, WG changed their policy about code duplicates a while back:
https://eu.wargaming.net/support/kb/articles/765#two_id
So you should have gotten credits for ships you already have, but WG codes are fairly non-standard in their behaviour.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 28, 2017

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Got given some top advice by this pro-player today:

I'm not sure what he was talking about, but he was pleased with his 5-1

So how did it work out for him?

Ah, not so great. Well maybe it was just a poor game for him? How does he do on average?
https://worldofwarships.eu/en/community/accounts/537559657-JollyJester/!/pvp/overview/

Oh.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

El Disco posted:

5 hits 1 citadel maybe? Judging from his final score I don't think he got many more. I was gonna suggest he meant rank 5 with 1 star, but he's clearly rank 23.

That would be the saddest boast.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I've only got to rank 10, but I had two battles today with an Independence on each team :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
How... how does one perform so poorly as to live to the end of the match and earn only 32 {thirty-two!} base XP on the winning side? :stonk: