Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

subhelios posted:

It is a different development team as I understand it. Botes is actually good and fun to play*.

*Based on the beta weekends.

Tanks got a lot less fun as the tanks got slower and slower and slower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

How does this game compare to Tanks and Warplanes?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Now that the game's generally playable I'm going to give it a shot - is there a good newbie guide out there for game mechanics, upgrades, crew skills, that sort of thing?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

TheDemon posted:

Uh

Are the low tier BBs supposed to be fun? I had a great time with the Kawachi and South Carolina, and I just got out of a 90.8k AP, 13.7k HE, 9.4k fires, 8.6k secondaries game with my Myogi for 1876 base exp.

I mean, dodging torps is annoying but if you manage it well enough, Dreadnought awaits.

I'm in the same boat - I just started playing yesterday and the South Carolina is the funnest ship I own.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

What captain skills should I be going for?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Night10194 posted:

I started this game today and thought it was really boring until I got a destroyer.

Operation Dickstab With Torpedoes instantly improves everything.

Destroyers are definitely the swingiest ship type. Either you get vapourised the moment you appear, or you sneak up on two battleships and annihilate them.

That said, I've only played with the early US destroyers so far, and their torpedoes have a mighty 4 km range.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Wade Wilson posted:

Does AA have to be toggled on? Because as best I can tell all my AA gunners are eating lunch/taking a nap or something.

If you're low-tier, it's because low-tier ships have gently caress-all AA.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, it begs the question of what the difference between the Marblehead and the Marblehead Lima is.

Oh christ I just noticed the Cincinnati and Marblehead have practically no AA at Tier 5. 4x 76mm for the entire ship? Nope. That's buying a premium to be a free kill for a carrier. No thanks.

Does AA actually get good at killing planes ever? I'm at tier 5 and multiple squadrons buzzing overhead for about a minute leads to about two planes shot down by my AA. Does it eventually get to the point where AA can actually prevent bombers attacking you?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I kind of think that US DDs are lacking a niche somewhat. Japanese DDs have enough range on their torpedoes to pop smoke and shower an area in death from safety, while US DDs have to get right in close to use theirs, which limits their utility quite a lot.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Fizzil posted:

Alot of dudes in Japanese DD's seem to be firing their torpedoes from maximum range, i really question this style when they have ample opportunity to close in (on carriers for example) and guarantee their hits if they fire from 3km or less.

The main draw of playing Japanese DDs is to have enough range on your torpedoes to fire without being seen. If you're going to rush to 3 KM and fire from there, you might as well play US DDs and at least get good guns into the bargain.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Is there some trick to using dive-bombers effectively or are they just garbage? It feels like even in the best possible circumstances (a carrier moving directly away from them, US squadron of 6 dive bombers) they only manage a single bomb hit, and that hit does about 1500 damage.

It's a shame, because I just had a stormer of a game where my fighter-heavy Bogue killed 50 enemy planes and my dive bombers made about six or seven bombing runs and the total damage was 5000.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

So play US BBs and IJN CVs?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

The Langley is the most pointlessly bad ship in the game just fyi, I'd rather drive a stock Myogi. I fail to see how the Bogue could possibly be anything but a step up from this.

A Bogue is virtually identical to a Langley.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

Dealing a percent of remaining health wouldn't ever kill a ship

Yeah, but he's only talking about fire damage, not HE damage.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I thought you were confused since you quoted Space Flower and then just rephrased what Space Flower said.

Maybe it's me that's confused.

Anyway, if you want fire to get less good at killing ships as they get closer to death you could implement this as fire doing a base amount of damage PLUS a percentage of the remaining health of the ship, for example.

Gort fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 21, 2015

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Bitter Beard posted:

Not saying some CV changes are not needed, but with WW2 the rise of air power the most powerful thing anybody had ever seen.

Look at what took down all the big major ships of the war, all air power. If the game is based somewhat on reality, planes are going to be a huge pain in the rear end of it.

Like somebody said maybe add in wider turning angles and maybe not such perfect straight torp lines when planes are under fire from a ship will definitely mitigate their complete superiority.

Yeah, the huge counter-argument to this is that this game isn't particularly based on reality, or you'd get like twenty destroyers showing up on your side when the other side brings a battleship.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Am I missing something? I'm a Euro if that matters.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Is the Murmansk as bullshit as it seemed to be when I last fought it? It was faster, much longer ranged than me, and as my battleship tried to close on it to get in range, it sent off a big ol' spread of torpedoes.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The idea that you can counter a hilariously overpowered player by ensuring that the other team also has a hilariously overpowered player is either genius or imbecilic.

Oh wait, it's the latter. My team's carrier is AFK. Or American.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Hazdoc posted:

The 7km torps were the real trap. Faster doesn't always mean better. The 10km torps were less detectable, making them harder to avoid (less total reaction time from appearance to impact, assuming an optimal 90 degree angle of approach). The main difference, assuming time to react is the same for torpedoes, is that higher speed reduces the effect of targets moving towards/away from torps and significantly shortens time from launch to the target, which changes the angle at which you need to launch. But that's a bit more pertinent when you hit the 15km+ torp range, or your torps radically differ in speed.

The Minekaze maaaaaaybe needed the nerfs, but the nerf to torpedo traverse is super dumb, and the loss of 10km torps seems a bit excessive as well. The main issue was the sub 6km detection range, as combined with a skilled commander could make you incredibly hard to spot by even hostile DDs. IJN DDs have the slight advantage in detecting US DDs before they themselves are detected, but the Minekaze (and Mutsuki, to a lesser degree) took this quite a bit too far. Improved turret traverse should make getting into a gunfight less of an issue (shoot your guns sometimes, please).

I also found the 10 KM torpedoes on the Minekaze to be considerably better. I had a comically huge leeway between being able to attack and being detected. The Mutsuki still has this, at least.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

So, what are the ship classes with the highest win rates these days?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Hazdoc posted:

The highest tiers of CVs still have the highest winrates, though its not quite as dominant as they used to be. Cruisers have been creeping upwards, along with low tier DDs and some BBs.

DDs still trail pretty far behind on average damage in a game, though. Very far behind.

Is it still the case that IJN CVs dominate the US ones? Is there much in the way of differences between the two countries in general?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Darkrenown posted:

Well ranked battles are only going to be T6-7 or something, so it would be worth keeping good ships in those theirs I suppose? Not that it helps for the Kongo.

So, what are the nastiest tier 6 and 7 ships? Cleveland's an absolute beast at 6.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

How does the Pensacola compare to the Cleveland?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I think I've finally worked out how to play US mid-tier destroyers. Load HE and fire constantly from max range. Your small size makes you hard to hit, your guns are laser-accurate, and against some enemies you can fire while remaining undetected. (as long as you remain at max range)

Or just try and ambush people near islands, but good luck with that on the Ocean map.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

You know what isn't a goddamn upgrade? The goddamn Pensacola

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I just played my tier 6 USN Independence CV against its IJN equivalent, the Ryujo. He was able to have twelve fighters, four torpedo bombers and four dive bombers out at a time, and he just walked all over my 6/6/6 arrangement - as you might expect. This seems fair to a degree - he chose the heaviest fighter arrangement he could choose, so he should be able to defeat the standard loadout of the USN carrier.

The trouble is, I can't match his number of fighters without going to 12/0/6 - no torpedo bombers at all - so all I can do is suck it up and accept that I'm going to take a pasting every time I see a carrier with that guy's loadout, or be no use to my team at all beyond neutering the enemy carrier, and even that's a 50-50 thing since all I can do is equal his fighter loadout, not exceed it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

The problem is a US torpedo squadron has twice the destructive capacity of a Japanese torpedo squadron due to the massive gaps between Japanese torpedoes, so if you swapped the bombers for torp bombers in that arrangement on the independence, the Independence would have superior fighters and superior single strike capability, the only advantage the Ryujo would have is split fire.

Where are you getting superior fighters from? Both carriers would have twelve fighters.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Aesis posted:

Daily WoWS at about 1100 GMT. :smith:

e: NA server. Me and my buddy just rushed middle because we knew our Taiho was going to be nuked (and he did get nuked). Sunk an NC and almost sunk DM but Midway was being a jerk.

Why are you playing on the NA server at 11 AM British time?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Aesis posted:

Because I fly between Korea and UK from time to time so NA servers are better for me to play from both locations.

That sounds awful

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I always hated fighting Murmansks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The Langley and Bogue are both kinda horrible mainly because of their low speed. If one side of your team just collapses, you're not getting outta dodge in time, while IJN carriers are all speedy.

The Bogue is basically a Langley again, so don't hold out hope on its account. The Independence that comes at tier 6 can do 30 knots, so it's a nice upgrade.