Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Koesj posted:

Niiiice. I'm thinking of doing a massive pruning of my mods and assets as well, but I wonder if stepping up from my 760 to a newer graphics card would be an easier (but more costly) solution.

For what it's worth I have a 980ti and this game won't get over 30-40fps and still doesn't exactly "pop" even at 1440p. I think it is CPU bound more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah I have to agree with a lot of the above. This game was my jam for awhile and now and then I come back to it, but it doesn't have enough of a game to entertain me. I love making cool looking cities, but it would be so much more exciting if, for example, to make a super upscale outdoor plaza/mall, it cost a great deal of time and money (and both time and money were meaningful to the simulation). Sure I want a zen garden, but placing a university with huge parks and great public transport, local apartment housing, and elaborate infrastructure is so much more cool to me when it's "earned."

My first game where I didn't dare uproot main/original parts of my city and then started trying to build separate suburbs and areas to try to "spread" my city and relieve issues was much better.

Once I played enough to pull the curtain back and realized how very base and lame the underlying economic situation was and that I could fairly safely just retool entire sections of my town with no consequence (and, usually, actual benefit) I couldn't get the spark again.

Wish I even had a 'silver bullet' idea to fix that but anything I can think of doesn't sound like a good game either. :/

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

I really would love an optional game rule set that focused on alternate reality simulations. So like a City of Tomorrow retro future ruleset with buildings. Dystopian future set. Steampunk world. Post apocalypse wasteland. Each with their own challenges and aesthetics. I guess that would just be a different game. I'm mostly imagining a changing of values for things like crime or health or education, etc, where some things are worse or better in some settings. Setting specific buildings and civics choices. Specific "disasters".

Before I sort of gave up on trying to get a well-oiled good mod list without it being laggy/load forever, I was set on making a mix of near future, heavily inspired by the art here: http://www.simonstalenhag.se/

A winter map with European buildings combined with a lot of the sci-fi sets in the workshop actually does create the perfect blend of contemporary stuff with a vaguely near future that hits the aesthetic just right.

It's just too bad I can't seem to enjoy the game for other more game related reasons or I'd do it. Really wish it had a better "game" behind the zen garden, because while that part rocks it doesn't hold my attention.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Dr. Clockwork posted:

This video is way more useful for how poo poo works than the tutorial.

https://youtu.be/BoZz06Etwm4?si=PpCbA_0bpF95MWb8

If anyone has any insight on why my dam is only putting out 1.4Mw when it said 21Mw on placement, let me know. I can’t figure it out. And I’m out of money because of it.

death cob for cutie posted:

is it like CS, where you need to wait for the water to build up behind the dam before it starts actually generating electricity

Concurred posted:

I only ever got dams to work in CS1 with water that had high flow; every time I tried to put a drat on a low flowing river it would produce no electricity and eventually turn into a lake. Some of the mountain maps had high spawning rivers that you could drat up, the highest I ever got was like 700MW

Edit: 1600MW

Funny enough I found this thread specifically to post about dams because I loved loving with the water in CS1 and I booted up a few maps to see if there was any viable hydropower after what I thought should be a ~200MW dam (as indicated at build) did the same thing, pumping out like, a max of 20MW. I went with infinite money and that and even dug basically what concurred shows, and no, dams are definitely just busted as gently caress right now and are always at like -99% efficiency because of "low water level" even if you allow the water to fill in behind it - and my original dam it took almost a year of game time because it was such a sizable reservoir. (So, 'volume behind the dam' isn't it.)

I honestly think whats happening is that the game might be calculating the dam's efficiency off of the height between the top/intakes and the height of the powerhouse (that little square building on the right that sticks out, if you're looking at the dam from downstream) but the game never lowers the powerhouse at all, in fact leaving it attached dutifully as high as possible and trying to bring terrain up to meet it. I'm going to do some more screwing with it to see if I can trick it to move at all, but I suspect its just busted.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’ve seen a lot of folks say they want zoning toggles and I do too, but there is a not too difficult work around seen in this vid only about 1min in:

https://youtu.be/g9yESIzeyQ0?si=vWc0Z_ayZOqwzqOL

Most people figure out the townhomes one by themselves but the road replacement he uses for single family homes is slick.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

This will very quickly become impossible as everyone is running 700 mods/assets and no two players will ever have the same modlist

Since they're using their own bespoke Paradox mod ecosystem, when you load a save it should just be a one-click to download and activate all the mods used in a save, right?

...Right?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

One thing driving me nuts is that you can't easily do something like this:

Without dividing the street in half with an alley, and then dragging the asymmetric road in each direction. I'll do it this way but its click-intensive.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

How do you know if a road is part of a district for purposes of a heavy traffic ban? Do you just carefully make sure roads you don't want included aren't part of the border? Does a road not fully within a border not count?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Love everything about this, the blocked walkway, the pole directly in the crosswalk.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

MikeC posted:

The education sim seems slightly borked. My elementary schools are packed with several thousand kids. The high school has like 100 kids in it. College meanwhile is nearing capacity. Maybe all Cims are in the Mensa class of IQ and can leap directly from K-8 straight into college calculus and physics classes.

edit: Also has anyone noticed you don't need to build garbage infrastructure? It mysteriously just vanishes. I see garbage trucks originating from neighbouring cities but I don't seem to be paying for it.

I suspect this is something that I’ve noticed in other games with a lifecycle: The game Magic’s in uneducated adults who then fill their house with kids. Because you are constantly expanding the city, tons of people have to show up and get elementary education and then make new kids that need elementary education.

On a long enough timescale, you sort of catch up to this and the “magic, uneducated influx of people” slows down and evens out. Or maybe not, and things are tuned in such a way that you can’t ever get ahead. I tend to think something like this is at play because high school is the only tier that clears easy, and if my experience is fairly common, you get the elementary and high school up fast and then have a long while before the college and university make sense. When those go up, you immediately have a ton of people crushing those services too. It makes sense, because you’ve been cooking every possible person in high school and then they have nowhere to go. You’re creating a bottleneck by expanding with uneducated cims and another by delaying putting down the higher education services.

Again might be total bullshit, this is just some observation combined with experience from other similar games with similar systems.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Another thing I've noticed: I think early commercial doubles down on textiles, furniture, and petrochemicals (gas stations.) I got that wave of "No customers" and went through and selectively deleted duplicate goods providers near each other and it cleared up when they refilled in new businesses. I think they need to tune those businesses to leave so that more profitable ones show up.

This also helped me get more demand in higher density residential, I think?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I can't say for sure if my FPS doubled, but it definitely is a marked improvement. My city isn't huge yet but I can actually run it on high LOD for the moment and maintain ~40 fps. (3080)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Cygni posted:

If you have phantom traffic light/stop signs in the middle of a road without an intersection, try adding a crosswalk and then removing it.

What’s funny is I had an intentional crosswalk that spawned a light and like a good American city planner I desperately tried to get rid of the light. The pedestrians will be fine!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Another weird quirk is that probably half the traffic in my city is motorcycles, it's like loving Sturgis out here.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I was kind of negative on the level of minor details at first, thinking we don’t need that level of stuff in the game as it’s more macro scale. And hell, maybe we don’t need teeth.

But I did notice that I had citizens jaywalking to an area they’d like to get to and they intelligently stopped in front of lanes where a car was coming, effectively playing frogger. That’s pretty neat.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I think this game has probably a ton of really horrible problems but “I spent 30 minutes reading snippets of decompiled code” feels like a truly nuts way to try and assess what they’re trying to do considering we already know poo poo is bugged and hosed up.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Even on a simpler level there could just be a much, much heavier cost to nabbing private property.

I really hate to post “actually it’s workers and resources” in yet another adjacent thread but if you turn of the difficulty settings for destruction and waste, in Workers and Resources you have to have actual vehicles (which you provide and maintain) show up to destroy everything from buildings to roads and that.

In reality what this means is you end up paused for hours planning things fastidiously or restarting your save when you have made decisions too large that you hate.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Quays and canals and etc. aren't currently in CS2 hiding in a menu that I'm not seeing, right?

The best I can find is raised roads that produce a wall instead of a pillar. Getting them to run around water is a bit tricky, but doable.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

buglord posted:

Tangling myself into a pretzel over how I should be playing this game. I’m trying to play it as intended by leaving progression turned on, but so many things being behind certain city sizes means im making gimped cities and I have to retrofit parks and space for larger roads and such way later on. I tired a city with progression off and I get 61 gazillion dollars to start with, which feels a bit too cheaty.

For me, I did one long play of CS1 with progression and will do the same here. After that future cities are heavily modded and unlocked all/progression unlocked.

You can tamper your gazillions a tiny bit by buying a ton of land at the founding. I like doing this anyway because it tends to be more fun to have multiple small cities and then more organically sprawl them into each other to create density.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

MikeC posted:

I have been trying to fine-tune my traffic in my city and some rear end in a top hat cims frequently ignore no left/right turn signage. I can tell it is having some effect since a fuckton more people turn right when I remove the sign again in testing but a significant minority just seem to shrug their shoulders and say gently caress it. Right now, I don't know whether it is WAD or just another bug.

If you've left it long enough this probably isn't it, but maybe cars are pathfinding from a distant destination and still have that turn in their route from before you added the sign?

Mad Wack posted:

it probably made the ceo very happy to be using "generative AI" - that's my working theory

Really thinking this too, it stinks of executive buzzword junk, but at the same time it could just end up being another one of those weird pet things where they really think the average player is very intrigued and interested in that.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah as excited as I am and willing to fight through a lot of the release jank, I'm even putting the game down until we get a patch that at least takes a stab at fixing things like the weird storage/goods bug, which basically hampers a whole ton of the mechanics of the game.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Mandoric posted:

Seriously, why and also how the hell are my trams doing this.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Concurred posted:

If it snows in your city and you have a road maintenance depot, the trucks switch from road maintenance vehicles to snow plows :3:

Seasons changing are great and I love the snowplows. Snow is a little weird but it generally looks decent enough.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I didn’t think CO was a big dev team but from experience so many bugs seem like they’re teams of devs works entirely in their own silos and showing up a week before launch to showcase and integrate.

“Look we even have teeth!”
“That’s nothing, our garbage system simulates 6 types of garbage!”

“Hey did anyone ever talk to the UX guys?”

e: just to head this off: this is a joke not an actual attempt at assessment of their dev practices.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Accidents are crazy dynamic and cool and it really is a shame there isn't either a replay functionality or at least a way to quickly get a notification.

On the bright side - crashes seem to create crashes, so you can usually catch one in progress after the first!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Trash seems better now, but mail I think is still at least sort of broken. I have a post sorting facility that does absolutely nothing, still.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

e: also is there any benefit to setting up inter-city cargo trains? will plopping a cargo terminal closer to my commercial center reduce truck traffic streaming in from the industrial park outside the main city?

I think in theory, yes.

In practice, god only knows.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I'm taking hostages at Colossal Order and no ones going free until they move the loving road grade tooltip literally anywhere that's not always under the loving curve angle tooltip such that I have to constantly angle my camera in insane ways to see both.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Sumerian Telecom posted:

Does the game... kinda suck??

I think this is a case where if it honestly had an EA tag it wouldn't be getting the flak its getting now. No argument that what we're getting is extremely rough, but I think there's a lot of good in the bones of it. Just needs more time in the oven. Hopefully the launch doesn't gently caress up continued support of it in any major way. It seems like there's at least a lot more thought into there being systems that interplay with each other more meaningfully than "make sure traffic doesn't back up - also traffic is pocket cars" from the first. I really hope it gets figured out in that regard, because even heavily modded CS1 became a city painter/map editor toolkit without much real 'gameplay' to it unless you had like the Industries DLCs, and even those were extremely rough/simple. I think this will still be fairly 'easy' to succeed no matter what but unless I can press on things and see systems react meaningfully then its ultimately a postcard generator and it'll stink.

Jury's still out, for me, and I hope they can get to what it seems like their 'vision' is given the source code reader guy's findings.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Does anyone have a weird bug where the game picks up a horrendous 'stutter' after you alt-tab out? Like it'll still run like normal, then seemingly hitch every 5-15 seconds until you reboot the game. I'd really love to find a workaround for this because its loving impossible for me to remember not to alt-tab, beyond it also being a massive inconvenience.

e: gently caress. it wasn't an alt-tab thing, seems like a save-game thing now. :/

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 4, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Ostrava posted:

Firefighting helicopters carry 300 m^3 of water and I think every one should consider that for a moment.

A quick wikipedia puts this at only about 15x the maximum payload for the Russian Mi-26.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m not sure if it’s actually smart but the way I’ve set up my transit that seems to work is hierarchical. Busses make small loops through local neighborhoods, stopping at collector roads (medium roads/avenues) that have tram stops. Trams run between all the neighborhoods on avenues that aren’t explicitly “high density downtown” - they still have a stop downtown, but it’s more a transfer to either the subway or local downtown busses. Most transit has some kind of nearby stop to any major intercity transit like an airport or train station.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

i saw someone complain that cs2 does not have a good endgame and im not really sure what to think of that

“I ran out of oil and then after awhile prices went up and my entire city stagnated??? 0/10”

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

I can't believe it allowed me to add this upgrade to my landfill

Chalking this up to bugs
Landfill is almost at max

I have it to empty out
It's only using 1/20 vehicles
And the 1 vehicle it is using, is only transporting 1/2 it's capacity

Just bulldoze it and build it again.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Popete posted:

pulling teeth

:D

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I gotta say the one thing driving me the most nuts now that I've made peace with most aspects of the game as "I think it'll get better" is the maps. Don't get me wrong, I love vertical elements. I love the challenge of building with the terrain.

The loving map named "Sweeping Plains" has more continual, aggressive slopes than San Francisco, a city known for having specifically high hills. The only really flat maps all have some gimmick that don't inspire me. Lakeland looks like a poo poo "turned up water too much on a random map gen" tool. Archipelago has this look to me, too, where it feels way too fantastical and strange. Great highlands gives you two weird mesas which sure, fine, are technically interesting to some, but I feel like will look like absolute poo poo if you try to grade things relatively realistically since you'll have nothing but switchbacks, and why would a city ever form right there?

I dunno, I could go on. I just hate them all. I want Waterway Pass to just shift the buildable area to the coast. I want interesting topology but in the first square of Sweeping Plains, if you zone a 12 unit block roughly along the contours, the lots that spawn will be 2-3 stories above/below each other. I don't want to have to fastidiously contour every single lot in a huge loving city, or just abuse God Tools to flatten a shitload of land.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

This is a block immediately adjacent to the start road in "Sweeping Plains" without any pre-leveling, what are they thinking?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Tarezax posted:

Looks like a perfectly normal street in suburban California to me

I guess, but the problem is that the slopes are so aggressive and more notably continual that leveling for neighborhoods means you're either constantly at 10% grade block to block from end of the city to another, or you have to have huge blocks of steep slope with nothing that's nothing but grade change and no zoning or you get cliff houses. I'm currently building on "Twin Mountains" which is a river ending in a coastline. Sloping to the coast is basically 1:1 zoneable area to grade if I don't want to absolutely abuse the terrain.

Maybe I should be complaining that the way lots flatten weirdly is what creates the issue, it loving sucks.

That's 4 lots to go about a floor, as opposed to this which is supposedly their "plains" map going about 2.5 stories in 1. Maybe a bad picture on my part, I'm looking more at the background buildings but sent an angle with more gentle grade in the foreground. I thought it showed off how steep it is better.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 7, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I mean ultimately maybe my complaint is misguided, I don't know. I just know that its loving hell to make *anything* look good because it feels like you *have* to terrace any of the current maps and pre-level lots so poo poo doesn't get wonky, and doing that means you just have endless steps all over. Maybe I just need to adjust to Skylines, but I feel like it should feel more natural. Coming off of W&R I build on poo poo like this as a matter of personal preference and somehow in that janky game that absolutely needs level terrain poo poo ends up looking better than this game that ostensibly tries to blend lots on a slope.

E:

Like, the houses on the right here look good, but that's already a 10% grade, and I included on the left there what I had to do to get to that grade. Unless I want my entire city to follow a 10% grade and leave a bunch of space in between blocks, this is the best I can do. Maybe its just a Skill Issue but it stinks.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Jyrraeth posted:

I searched for "Montreal style +15" and got nothing but BAGELS on google image search. I guess Montreal calls it the Underground City if Wikipedia is to believed? Totally agree with the superlight C zone, its not much of a thing when I was last living in Calgary but they're fairly common here in Vancouver.

Not to beat a dead horse but Commercial zones needs a revamp. Big Box, (strip) malls, Commercial/Office mixed use, tiny little stores, food carts, etc.

You mean “Light C” that’s nothing but freestanding single stores and 75% gas stations isn’t accurate?