Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Repost from the old thread.

Disclaimer: This guide does not show you how to build an amazing good road network or a perfect highway intersection. It does however show that you seriously don't need to worry about that poo poo at the beginning of your city. The game has a bulldozer tool for a reason.

Welcome to your new city! Or plot of land.

But how the hell are you supposed to build a city from two highway spurs?!

Here, let me show you.

You only have a simple two-lane road available initially. That's fine, you don't need anything more. Just pick that.

Connect those two fuckers!

Build some more roads. Make a four-lane down the middle. It's probably better to connect that off the offramp than the onramp.
Try both, if you zoom all the way in you can see that some intersections get lights and some don't. It depends on how big roads and whether they're one or two way. Don't worry about it yet. (Your traffic will be light early on, some bad design won't kill you this soon.)

Oh and by the way, these buttons down here:

The first, square, one, toggles snapping when building roads. Snapping is really useful, but sometimes when making curved stuff it gets in the way.
The next three switch between straight, curved, and auto-curved roads.
The last is the "upgrade road" button, replaces existing roads with a different type.

Anyway...

Time to fill in some zones.
You don't need that much buffer between industrial and residential, just a big road and a row of commercial will do.

Time to add some power. A single windmill is fine. Find a spot with strong wind and plop it.

You also need a water intake and a poop outlet.
Take note of the arrows on the water stream! Don't let the poop flow into the pump.
Also note that you can in fact relocate buildings after placing them, if you get them swapped around.

Build water pipes connecting the two, connect them to the town area, and build a grid of water pipes to cover the zoned part.
Water pipes come with free sewers! The pipe you lay is "double", one carries fresh water, the other carries diseased water.

Hook up power.

You will initially need to build power lines into your zoned area, otherwise you might have trouble getting houses to spawn.
At this point you should unpause the game, if you built paused like me.

Congratulations! You get the first milestone at around 500 pop.
You might have to expand your road network a bit to reach that.

And you'll probably have to build some more windmills as you go.

Hitting a milestone means you get more services available, and this also means your residents will begin needing those.
All of a sudden they have trash to take out, illness to treat, and children to educate.
Build a landfill, medical clinic and elementary school as soon as possible!

Remember what I said about pollution not being that bad? Yeah really, don't bother segregating your industry too much.

Expand some more and... WHOA!

You can suddenly expand your building area. There is one really good place to get...

The tile containing the highway.

The intersection is now yours and you can do anything you want to fix it and build something better!

That was the original question, yeah? What to do about that really weird intersection you can't really fix at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Slickdrac posted:

Is this normal for that many people, or just because I have 7 or 8 mods going? CPU is a 2 year old i7

Rejoice, for this is a game that properly benefits from multicore CPUs and large swathes of RAM.

Remember that free memory is wasted memory, and unused CPU cycles are wasted cycles. If the software/games you run aren't peaking things out, you overspent on hardware. CSL will spend every cycle on every core it can get, on simulating your city.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

I really want a road smoother tool. My roads look like lumpy rear end.

Learn to use the curved road tool. Not the third tool, the second one. The guide part of the road (the dotted outline) snaps to the end-tangent when close, and if you make sure the guide point snaps to that, then the result will look perfectly continuous. The length of the dotted part (the start point to control point) determines how the road curves: If the distance from start to control point is similar to that of control point to end point, the curve will be even, if the start-to-control part is longer the curve will be more towards the end, if the control-to-end part is longer then curve will be more towards the start.

If you need to connect the end of one road to the end of another road, try to pretend each road is extended along its end tangent in a straight line. The two will cross somewhere, (unless the roads are parallel), if you place your curve control point at that crossing, the curve will match so the new road connects nicely to both existing road ends.

Also, there is a mod that allows you to hotkey the snapping toggle on road building, by default mapping it to holding the Alt key. It's invaluable when building serious intersections.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Halman posted:

I tried using terrain.party to get a heightmap for where I live, Duluth MN, and the heightmap it spits out doesn't feel...high enough I guess. Duluth is a pretty hilly place, but the map that imports into Skylines isn't. Is where any way for me to make the heightmap be more pronounced?
I tried futzing with the contrast and brightness in GIMP but wasn't able to figure out settings that would just make everything a bit taller.

Use the Levels tool to adjust the range of values in the image.

Before:

After:

The value range in the heightmap becomes more extreme when you change the input level range, meaning height differences become more extreme as well.

But careful, GIMP doesn't properly support 16 bit per channel images, meaning you'll probably have quite bad resolution so the terrain will seem kind of stair-stepped. However you can try using a 2.9 beta (dev snapshot) version which should allow you to work with high bit depth images at full precision.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

It's a shame the game can't handle any image formats with more than 256 shades of grey. It really limits how much you can get out of a single image.

Really?
I thought I read/heard something official recommending using 16 bit per channel (65536 shades of gray) PNG files for height maps.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

Maybe I'm saving wrong then because I always get banding in everything I import even if 16 bit is selected.

But to me, 16 bits usually means per pixel, which includes all three color channels. But I could that could be wrong.

Yes, you need 16 bits per channel, which means 48 or 64 bits per pixel, depending on whether you have RGB or ARGB.
Alternatively, try if the game can read grayscale files with 16 bpc, meaning just 16 bits per pixel but also only one channel.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SouthLAnd posted:

Anyone playing this game on old school (5+ year old) hardware? All I have at the moment is my old laptop for the next month(ish) until I get a new machine.

Specs are:
OG Core i7 ( Nehalem/Clarksfield 720QM, 4C/8T)
8 gigs of ram
and worst of all, a woefully inadequate GT240m (GT216 core with 1GB of GDDR3 vram).

I'd like to play at 1366X768 if possible.

edit: I think my GPU only supports DirectX 10.1 which might not cut it for this game.

You'll do just fine.

I'm playing on a Core 2 Quad Q6600, 8 GB, Geforce 660Ti, at 1680x1050. The simulation does begin slowing down when I get above 50k pop or so, but the simulation and rendering is decoupled so slow simulation doesn't result in UI lag.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Antti posted:

My outgoing train line is getting bogged down by cargo trains and I have no idea how to fix it.

Bulldoze all of your cargo stations. Then build them again.

Actually bulldozing them is the important part, that will remove the trains going to/from each station, and in the process will hopefully clear whatever was causing the backup.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

What loving folder is gameUserFolder? I am stumped by this, unless this feature isn't working at the moment.

Hit Win+R, type: %localappdata%\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

bitcoin bastard posted:

Argh, doesn't work with Fine Road Heights, but I can probably work around that, I don't use the intermediate heights outside of the intersection builder.

The fine height control is a gigantic help in making roads look nice on uneven terrain. I don't want to play without it now, and I'm okay with giving up the snap-toggle key for fine height control.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Light-controlled intersections just need to be smart enough to not have phases with conflicting movements and they'd be at least twice as efficient. That might even also make SPUIs work as intended.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There is a mod that lets you control turning lanes.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Lady Gaza posted:

Any tips on how to deal with the blue circled road in this screenshot? This is a closeup of my highway, I've got frontage roads going alongside it, and I made this ramp going across the highway so that residents could get to their homes without going the full length of the highway (note I've got traffic driving on the left). I added in another highway connection to the north (circled purple), but I'm still getting massive lines backing up onto the ramp.

Is traffic actually backing up on that blue-circled ramp or is it just heavy? If it's not backing up it's not a problem.

I also don't see that purple-circled ramp as being an alternative to the blue-circled one. The purple seems to be an on-ramp to the highway, while the blue is an off-ramp.

Apart from that, you can try building your roads so they become light-less. Only some certain combinations of roads meeting at intersections are light-less, and those can be significantly more efficient than light-controlled ones.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Here's my lights-less frontage road system:

The key point is that the roads leading into the zoned areas do not meet the frontage road together with the bridges crossing the highway. If they did that, it would generate light-controlled intersections, but when it's only one two-way road leading into an intersection with one 1-way going in and one 1-way going out, it becomes lights-less.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Subyng posted:

Just use the traffic lights toggle mod and you won't have to worry about what combination roads you need to intersect to avoid traffic lights.

I'm avoiding mods that touch the traffic simulation/pathfinding, since it seems those currently have a bad risk breaking the game/your save.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The achievements enable with mods mod definitely does work, also in the latest patch.
I got one on Steam just now while playing, with mods.

Also, the 50% crime rate unlockable is almost impossible? I couldn't manage to get it above 25%.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I wonder if perhaps just turning off all education and police can do it, together with waiting for a generation or two to pass. If most of the workplaces in the city requires well-educated workers then having a whole generation uneducated should leave them unable to get a job and turn to crime.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You can avoid problems with water pollution by only using water towers. Just place them in on clean ground and don't let dirty buildings get near them.
The disadvantage of water towers is they're a worse economy, higher cost per gallon pumped.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

rscott posted:

how multithreaded does C:S get? I'm wondering if throwing cores at it will make run better than having higher IPC cores since I get acceptable performance up to 80k pop or so with a first gen 1.8GHz i7 and it seems like people with much newer dual core computers start choking earlier

It eats up all 4 cores of my old Core 2 Quad. It seems they multithreaded the simulation properly, so almost any combination of more threads and more speed will improve performance.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

All Apple mice and trackpads and OS versions for the past 6-7 years are able to right-click properly. On both the mice and trackpads, use a single finger and click down the right-hand side. In other words, if you have the Magic Mouse or whatever you need to lift your left finger and click the button with just the right finger. On a trackpad you place your finger on the lower right corner and push down to click.
At least that's how it worked last I used a Mac.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I looked/thought a bit about the logistics for doing succession games in CSL.

Savegames seem to be anywhere from 5 to 25 MB, depending on how much you've built and perhaps how many cims are moving around.
You can shave several MB off with RAR or 7z compression, so it's certainly manageable to share the save files.

The real problem is keeping buildings and mods in sync. If I receive a save file that uses buildings I don't have, they would just vanish from the city, which can definitely be a problem. I imagine you could have upwards half of the city population suddenly being without home or job, in the worst cases.
The issue of mod compatibility is easier to handle, but still one you'd have to observe.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Supraluminal posted:

What's the purpose of those two ramps running parallel to the 4-lane bridge? :confused:

Ramps have a top speed of 80, 4 lane roads have a top speed of 50. Cars that aren't entering the highway will probably take the parallel ramps.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

At least until they go too far and build up the plants so high you can't see the far side.

It's awesome when people just do stuff without considering the overall effect.

A while ago, someone in the traffic engineer thread mentioned that you're not supposed to have good sight to the opposite side of a full roundabout. The idea being that traffic entering should only consider whether to yield based on circling traffic at most a quarter turn before. Having too good visibility could lower efficiency.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you only have single huge areas of each zone type, you can quite easily predict the traffic patterns. One of the easy predictions is that you will almost certainly bottleneck on whatever connections you make between the megazones.

If you intermix zoning types you will: 1) Get a more natural-looking city, and 2) Potentially more trips can be local avoiding some bottlenecking

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

kaujot posted:

Is there an easier way to build highways that curve? I can't get them lined up and it leaves weird gaps between them

Build it in segments using the curve tool, where you specify a direction and endpoint for each segment. After each segment build a small perpendicular road piece out from the new end, using a two-lane road. Continue until you've built the entire highway you want.

Now build the other side of the highway in the same direction, so both sides run the same way. Doing that makes it much easier to get matching curves.
Use the grid-snapping on the two lane roads to control spacing between the two sides of the highway.
It'll take some practice, but remember to carefully measure the position of the control point (first build step) on your curved roads. Positioning those right is central in making the spacing equal.

After building both sides of the road, use the upgrade tool right-click to flip the lane direction of one side. Then remove the helper two-lane road segments.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There's so many road configurations that would make sense to have but just don't exist. Hopefully they're fixing some of that in the Big Update for Tunnels.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

I basically am trying to take the starting two on and off ramps, and merge them into a single road, I know it might be ineffiicent down the line, but right now I can seem to merge them together, I just get a "space is already occupied" message when tryiing to smush htem into a two way.

It's all about the angle they meet at. There has to be at least 20 or 30 degrees between two legs at an intersection before the game will accept it.
Learn to use the curved road tool, it takes a little practice but is invaluable.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

OddObserver posted:

I don't suppose there is any way of doing 1st floor commercial, upper floors residential set up that's common in smaller US urban areas?

Mixed residential/commercial was one of the questions brought up shortly after the game was announced. The answer was no.

Also, common everywhere in the world.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I just want to point out that, similar to Citybound, the two successful community-maintained transport games Simutrans and OpenTTD are both initially the work of a single person.

Simutrans was started as a closed-source freeware experiment by a German guy before the turn of the millenium. He developed it into a playable thing, later on opened the source, and after the project had grown a good amount of contributors, left for other things. The basic UI has changed very little since 1998 or whenever and is still bad.

OpenTTD was also started as a closed experiment by the same guy who later made uTorrent. It was a straight-up decompile-and-reimplement of the original Transport Tycoon Deluxe, aiming to be a perfect carbon copy. IP-law-wise I'd say the project has always been and probably will forever stay on very shaky ground, since its base was a case of straight plagiarism. The original developer turned it over to the community and much of the original code has been ripped out and replaced.

Either way, both are cases of a single person delivering a near-complete product and turning it over to community, there hasn't been any design by committee until late in their life. Basically, community projects like that are doomed to fail.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

New patch out!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads%2F30-new-buildings-auto-save-train-fix-more-1-1-1b-is-here.867193%2F

quote:

Added 30 new buildings (growables)
Added tunnels for Pedestrian path
Improved error handling for when a mod does unholy operations
Added "unsubscribe all" button in the Steam Workshop category in Content Manager
Fixed De-zoning areas sometimes results in zoned tiles reappearing
Fixed trains stuck to map borders
Important note: This takes a few minutes to go into effect on old saves experiencing this issue. Please let it work its magic!
New option panel layout
Auto-save option added for games
Graphics: visual glitches with pavement on steep slopes fixed
Fixed polish UI audio volume not fitting the Options panel
Fixed the keymapping in all languages not fitting to fit on 2 lines
Fixed missing info tooltips for markers (smoke, large smoke, info tooltip shot, invisible parking space and steam)
Fixed the "-noWorkshop" toggle to completely disable the Steam workshop integration
Fixed mouse wheel to scroll the build toolbar
Added shutter sound to snapshots in map editor
Fixed left and right mouse button references in all languages
Ability to reset keybindings to default without losing all other settings
Installing multiple workshop items at once should not freeze the game anymore
Dedicated options space for mod settings (IUserMod.OnSettingsUI(), added checkbox, button, slider and dropdown support) - http://www.skylineswiki.com/Mod_Options_Panel
Asset editor: Added new thumbshot and infoshot tools for capturing thumbnail and infotooltip images, respectively
Asset editor: Automatic snapshot, thumbshot, and infoshot are taken when opening the save panel for an asset (unless the user already took them)
Asset editor: Save asset panel now has the ability to select which to use of available thumbnails and infotooltips
Asset editor: Trailer and LOD colors show correctly in the editor when editing color variations
Asset editor: Removed color variation property from trees since it is not used by the game
Asset editor: Optimizations on saving/loading custom assets
Asset editor: Fixed a bug where creating several new assets during the same session would get the same ID, resulting in e.g. snapshots going to the same folder
Asset editor: Fixed additional polygons sometimes appearing in the models when scaling and/or rotating models
Asset editor: Scaling the model larger no longer makes it vanish from the preview camera
Asset editor: Overriding only some of the lod textures (e.g. assetname_lod_d) now works again without having to override any of the others
Asset Editor: Railtracks now available in Intersection editor
Asset Editor: Loading an asset does not reset the previously entered description
Asset Editor: Level 2 specialized industrial buildings can now be imported and edited
Design: Now possible to see what all future milestones unlock
RUS/GER: Fixed the "View on steam workshop" text cut-off in Content Manager.
Fixed trucks stop and wait outside cargo train station, blocking traffic
Added population info in the load panel for new save games

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ThePutty posted:

so i'm really poo poo at road design

i've done something horribly wrong, it's just figuring out what

Concord Heights looks like it has exactly one road going in and out of it. And apparently everyone wants to go there.
Try giving them more ways to get there.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Has anyone played Mini Metro on Steam? For $6 it seems like it might be appealing, especially with the hours I've put in to Cities: Skylines.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/287980/?snr=1_239_1200__1251

I only tried it when it was in free alpha. Back then I thought the difficulty was frustrating. Generally I thought it forced me to expand too fast, before my network had properly settled at the previous size.

Has that improved?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

oddium posted:

hi i haven't played since like a month after release, is there a way to easily put down a large amount of trees now

There's a mod for that.

(You should also reconsider doing it, since it doesn't affect much at all.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

necrotic posted:

I think there are options to add potholes and/or cracks. Maybe a different mod, but I think it's American roads.

In city builders, roads only break if you cut back on funding. That is why you will regret doing that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

It's too new to have any satellite photos of it and I'm not sure what the design is called.. I'm sure some engineer somewhere has researched it and given it a name though.

Diverging Diamond Interchange.

(Giant "roundabout" interchanges also exist in real life, by the way.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fabulousity posted:

Was the SNES version of Simcity the only one that came with scenarios?

SimCity 2000 (at least DOS, Mac and Windows versions) also had scenarios. They were mostly of the type "city is being hit by natural disaster, recover from it". Though at least one was "this city is all slum and getting abandoned, bounce back".

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I saw this one the other day, but haven't tried it myself yet:
Sharp Junction Angles

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tippis posted:

Ooh. Neat. That definitely looks like it's worth some testing.
That said, I don't know if it's a (different) mod issue or something else, but I've noticed that vehicles sometimes seem to have pathing issues with sharp angles. I first noticed it when my bus lines refused to connect properly as I routed them through some of the tighter roundabouts I had built. I wonder if that would become an even bigger problem with the kind of junctions that mod allows you to build.

I think CiM2 has something like that too, disallowing turns on very sharp corners. You really can't make a good right-turn if the angle is 160 deg in real life either.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

LumberingTroll posted:

Was there ever a fix for all the traffic getting into the lane that they would be turning in right away no matter how far away the turn is?

No, because it's by design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

A proper roundabout tool would be amazing yes. You pick a center, then a radius, and it makes a proper circle. And it could have sidewalks, along the outer edge, still only be a single lane, and also follow the correct yielding rules. And there could be a Turbo option for one direction.

The game still only has road geometry that sort-of looks and acts like a roundabout, it doesn't have proper roundabouts.
There's also some annoying restrictions on the sizes you can build with the current tool, and the angles the roads can meet at.