Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Friction posted:

Had a bit of a break with the game and surprisingly my city from the previous batch loaded just fine with all the assets and stuff intact. Not going to retrofit tunnels here, so I'm going to call this one done.

That is amazing, the attention to detail and the roads. They are perfect.

You have won the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

We don't have these at all in my country. What DO they do?

They are for water pressure in places where the water source is not high up. In Norway for example, all the sources are lakes higher up in the terrain, giving enough pressure without towers. In Denmark however, they get the water from below the ground, and to save money on giant pumps to give pressure for a big area, they pump it high up into a tower and let gravity do it for them. Water towers are also usually(always?) the highest thing in the city/area.
Fairly sure that's how it works, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

piratepilates posted:

I would like to know the world where this is qualified as a city.

A place where this is the capital: https://www.google.com/maps/@59.923322,10.7500233,6970m/data=!3m1!1e3

Norway is not a very densely populated place, our cities are actually quite small. I think you just need 6000 inhabitants to qualify as a city, though I'm not quite sure.

It's also a place where we sure do love our roundabouts: https://www.google.com/maps/@59.8886875,10.5220696,1032m/data=!3m1!1e3 Count the number of roundabouts in that city, compared to the size. Not a single traffic light in that city, it's the ultimate Cities Skylines city.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Friction posted:

They're cool, OK?

The airplanes in the lower left corner are stuck there until that one plane moves. There is also way to few taxi paths. :colbert:

But I like the looks of the place. Maybe some more parking in the lower right part of the picture? Airports have massive fields of cars, like a farm.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Avocados posted:

Gonna subscribe when I get home. I love CS but I hate building the foundation, especially because cities wont grow unless they're connected to a highway. I get some weird anxiety about making the perfect entrance to the city because it always becomes congested.

e: Also is there a mod for power-free water pumps/sewage spewers? I always have these wayyyyy far from my city and its a PITA to connect them with power lines when they require so little power to begin with.

I use this one: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=419052551

Tiny solar panel that will power a couple of pumps/drains.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

So related to the ice cube factory chat earlier...

What do ice cube factories do that requires ore shipments from "Ur Uranium" ?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

slidebite posted:

So I deleted and put the road back, same thing. I deleted all the building around it and re-laid all the roads nearby, same thing too. It's sort of near a cliffside to I'm limited with what I can do on the water side but it was accepting corpses no problem before it was full. I have no idea what is wrong.

e: Here is a top-down view

Just to test it out, try placing a road that goes nowhere, with just the graveyard and a crematorium connected to it. See if you can empty the graveyard straight into the furnace.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Just throw up a square of road, place the park next to it, add a single panel solar panel, doze the road, profit

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=429575420

If you do that, dead people, crime and fire will make the park a very unpleasant place to be.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Croccers posted:

Do water pumps need to hooked into pipes to suck water up or just powered?

Saw someone mentioned they need pipes (to eachother for example), but you can turn them off, they will keep sucking.

I know nighttime in this game is new and cool, but can we please get daytime screenshots as well if you are trying to show off an intersection or some road spaghetti? It's hard to trace roads when you can't see them.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Fabulousity posted:

Braided ramps? Let's braid entire freeways! :unsmigghh:

It actually seems to work well.

That is amazing, lovely chaotic organised mess!

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Bel Monte posted:

Yeah, the strip is two one way 2-lane roads.

So more roundabouts instead of intersections along that strip, and it should help smooth things out. I can do that.
I kinda already have had "Parisian traffic" when testing different one way road configurations. Every time I forced traffic to go elsewhere and split up, I just moved the clogs around without fixing them. :cripes:

This helps, believe me. Despite using them to funnel traffic around the outskirts of the city, I never thought to put them inside the city. It just seems unnatural to me as an American.

Edit: Not sure it helps, but the main thoroughfares? It's trees and parking lots in the center. Not sure if that encourages people to walk more or not. But I have several giant parking structures too (I know they don't actually work like a real one, but they do have some spots). I've heard having parking encourages people to walk more.

Can we get a copy of the save file? Linking to your steam profile will let us see what mods you use, if you don't want to list all the assets.
Saves (and mods) are saved in %AppData%\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Another Person posted:

Is there a way to up the cap on the amount of trees you can add? I got like 30 seconds of the tree brush tool in before I was not longer allowed to use it.

There is, but it will reduce the amount of other stuff you can have. Not sure if it's entire buildings, or if it's just stuff attached to buildings that is reduced, but something is.

Found it: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=455403039&searchtext=limit

And this to see how many you have maybe? Trip report please. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=531738447

Dunno-Lars fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 10, 2015

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=527875077

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Another Person posted:

the best thing about this is that if you look at the bridge on the top right corner you can see all that it simply isn't solving anything other than the citizens desire to hang themselves from a roundabout bridge

No, the best thing is that they don't come out anywhere. It's literally a traffic black hole.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Try Alt + Enter to toggle full screen.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Friction posted:

No, in near future cars fit in pockets.

Is there a Pokemon shaped like a car? Cause that would explain a lot. Cities Skylines is essentially Pokemon.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

For money, use this and pretend it's a grant from the government to build that intersection or whatever: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=417188095

Click a button, put in text box how much money to add and click ok or something.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

WMain00 posted:

You can see from the bypass where i'm aiming to make the city boundary. After that's done I'll fill out the rest of the island with small towns and seaside places.

I would love to see some close up shots of this part:

Daytime please.

Looks... Interesting.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

2 hours and 10 minutes from this post was made until snow cities is supposed to go live on Steam.

I feel very unsure what to do really. Buy or not buy. Content seems scarce, but the base game is still good.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

516.3 MB update according to Steam.

I am weak and foolish with money, and bought it. Can't play it until later tonight, have to be a dad first and have to wait until kids have gone to bed.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Ad by Khad posted:

Absolutely destroyed one of the biggest traffic problems I've had in weeks. Junctioned timed traffic lights are cool and all, but I never considered they could go on freaking ROUNDABOUTS.

This cobbled together frankenstein works pretty well.

Started with a basic Morrack's sunken interchange off the workshop. When that failed I added timed lights. When that failed I added a separate road for right turners coming from the top. When that failed I hooked in a couple more separate roads. When all that failed I switched to an elevated roundabout. When that failed I started adding timed lights to the roundabout. When that failed I junctioned the two lights on the right side together so oncoming traffic from the bottom can get through that weak spot on the lower right of the roundabout where there isn't enough distance between intersections. When that failed I changed the top's separate road to a Toronto-style collector highway that branches off so right-turners can skip the roundabout. Problem solved.

This is why I play Cities.

Swap out the 6 lane avenue in that roundabout with 3 lane highway. No lights on them, higher speed and you won't need the 3 extra lanes anyway. Love the funky angles all over.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Le0 posted:

So I didnt buy the expansion yet but I've been playing my old city from before the patch and all of a sudden I noticed crime was at 60% and continuing to climb.
Any idea what could cause this? Same thing for crematoriums...

I think high unemployment now increases crime rate, that might be it?

I have also noticed higher crime rate then before the patch, so they did something.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Fabulousity posted:

Has anyone encountered the game crashing when saving after the 1.4 patch? Quick saving crashes the game, trying to save by taking the scenic route through the main menu also crashes but takes the whole system with it. Was just wondering if anyone had encountered this before I start ripping out mods, etc.

If it's taking the whole system down, it's probably not the game itself, but rather the game triggering something else. CS can eat a lot of memory, so check if your RAM is corrupted. Memtest or something.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Dumb question: I don't suppose a mod exists that just, say, quadruples office jobs? I'm not into the overhaul mods, I'm mostly fine with the vanilla experience, but it's annoying how a big 3x3 building provides like 6 or 8 jobs and you have to create massive swaths of office.

There is the one that set everything to realistic amounts of jobs and families. But that might mess up your city when you load it while rearranging everyone. It will turn the 3-8 family homes into 1-2 family homes, high rises will have quite a few more, office will have a lot more, and so on.

This one:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=426163185

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Tried some monorails and was not very impressed. Stations create noise pollution and there's no reason to pick them over subways as far as I can tell. Living in a city with a very successful "monorail," I was hoping it would be a more desirable option.

First thing I did after making a short monorail and making people sick, was going on the workshop and found some silent monorail stations. Having a monorail station right outside your door should be a good thing, should increase land value, not make people sick. I feel they dropped the ball on that one.

Cable car is fantastic though. Lot's of vehicles, no traffic jams, surprisingly fast. Boats are amusing, two fresh water outlets into the double size canal on a hill is enough water for ferries. They don't care about the 10 cm deep torrent going 100 mph against them.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I can't find it on google, so it's once again one of those mods that doesn't name itself something intuitive. I'll report when I get home. It's a great little mod, lets you turn a whole bunch of things on/off.

Just reminding you that we are waiting for that mod... Deathwave because of monorail is bullshit.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

something's gone wrong with my mods

Now, that poo poo looks impressive. I would 100% keep it that way.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Use tunnels if bridges are to ugly.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Need a new title now that the teeth have been pulled.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Asproigerosis posted:

Also is it normal to constantly have these insane crashes? I have numerous road maintenance shops and all the roads are green condition.

Since this seems to have been lost, you do have four highways going into an intersection, I can see how that might cause problems. You could try changing the last part going into the intersection into normal 2-lane one-way roads to reduce the speed.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

What might make it better is merging the on and off ramp into a 2 way road so you only have a 4 way intersection. I bet turning it into the biggest roundabout would also work. Or just ban cars and go full public transport.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

And if you want boats under it, it needs to be some 50 meters tall with a wide span between pylons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Mandoric posted:

I think this is the end source of my frustration with service road weighting; I'd definitely believe assholes parking in the bus stop bonus lane, but you can also lay out only services-only lanes as the one highway connection thinking "oh hey I can get the trash pickup from neighbors" and lo and behold, every single household in town crams their brodozer down it while moving in.

Or at least actually have an interaction where the police department that's constantly driving up and down it tickets any private plate rather than ignoring them.

That would be lovely dystopian. All roads are service roads and the main income of the city is fining anyone with a car.