Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

Also if you regularly make such bad decisions that 'smoking moldy tobacco' is just a passing side-mention, I'm not shocked at all if you actually have cancer, then again with your history I don't see why we should believe those MRI scans are yours. Which sounds more plausible to the average goon who has passing familiarity with you:

-Fatbeard got cancer and attends medical appointments that have some diagnostic or remedial effect on his disease

OR

-Fatbeard got super high on six research chemicals one night and woke up with a binder full of MRI scans in his refrigerator

I think even you know that the second one sounds more reasonable when placed in the pastiche of your life and past experiences, so just posting a picture of the scans isn't convincing at all.

This is both hilarious and a valid point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Now, for some actual content! Yesterday a mailman woke me up and brought me two letters!

This sentence makes me laugh so much, partly because I'm imagining the mailman just sticking his head through a broken screen door to yell at ASF until he rouses himself off the floor to take his mail.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

GlitchThief posted:

When I finally snap into a manic episode that compels me to throw away everything for a poorly-considered life-changing move, I'm gonna sell all my poo poo and move to Croatia. Maybe I'll get an apartment in one of your slums in a few years, ASF. I'm a quiet renter and I always pay on time. :)

You won't be once you get settled in. Croatia does things to a man.

Palpek posted:

More like:

A distinct possibility, but the mailman probably only does that for doors that still have glass.

I'm beginning to think Croatia is [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cU3nU--X-o]Sunnyvale Trailer Park[/ur] from "Trailer Park Boys" writ large, probably all the way down to a currency made of hand-written coupons.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
Shoot, that link didn't work: Sunnyvale's finest.

Like, I know you don't have a car, but I'm sure if/when the day comes, it'll be something like The Shitmobile: hosed up but somehow working all the same. (Plus you can use it as a summer home or a grow house.)

If the time comes you need legal counsel, I think I can help.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
Oh my god, The Sweaty Fatbeard Reality Tour!

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Anne Whateley posted:

I understood he didn't start playing up the turbojunkie thing until after he hated them as part of the scheme. I'm just pretty skeptical that he successfully kept his addiction totally hidden from them for the years? decades? before that. I've known a lot of addicts in that "no way could they tell, it's definitely a secret" mindset.

How would they know? They knew he was going hungry and doing chemo at the time, why would they suspect drugs?

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

The Saurus posted:

Also please ignore the SJWs yelling at you for suggesting that maybe allowing a million Muslims with no experience of liberal western society into Germany lead to some problems and wasn't the best idea.

It wasn't so much the idea that Middle Eastern refugees entering Europe in large numbers could lead to issues, it's the idea that those refugees don't want to go to Croatia because they'd be expected to get jobs if they lived there. Y'know, that whole "immigrants are lazy parasites" thing.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

spankmeister posted:

I'm starting to get worried about OP.

You must be new to this thread.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

I don't even know why I bother with benzos at this point because I can't be trusted around pills. Consequently, this would put me in weekend warrior mode. Same thing goes for tramadol.

Tramadol is loving frightening, Jesus Christ. I was prescribed it for sleep, the ones that can be split in half or into thirds--that poo poo was awful. 1/3 would leave me awake and pissed as hell I was awake; anything more, and I was left conscious but unable to move, and struggling to breathe sometimes. I knew you were made of stern stuff, but Christ.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

you were warned posted:

Are you sure it wasn't trazodone? That's often prescribed for sleep (and the tablets can be scored that way, which I don't think is super common?). I took it at one point, and it was so sedating that I could barely walk during the day. Awful. I'd actually been prescribed it on top of the maximum dose of lunesta (ambien's cousin) and a nightly dose of klonopin, so maybe I was lucky I was still waking up at all.

That's it's, that's the one. Ha, that's a little embarrassing. Yeah, trazadone was a little rough, and I cannot imagine taking it with lunesta and klonopin.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

A week ago I ate way too much Valium and it got me flipping out instead of causing me to pass out as advertised. I desperately wanted to drink something, so like a hardened alcoholic, I went rumaging around my kitchen to find the elusive bottle of emergency booze. I then spotted vinegar and mistook it for wine ("it's the same thing, right?") Sat at the computer and started chugging the gently caress out of vinegar. At one point it dawned on me "oh gently caress this isn't wine", I hurriedly opened the desk drawer and puked my guts into it.

I missed you.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

compshateme85 posted:

I'd do you (female here).

You look eerily like my last boyfriend, so I feel like I already have.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
I second keeping the beard; it works for you. Groom that thing properly and you'll be fine--a soft, clean beard is nice.

As for where to meet (nice, non-crazy) women, I have no idea. You're kind of like an exotic bird, and I can offer no advice that would be of use to such a creature.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

I eventually came to a realization that I'm just not cut out for secks. The best I could do is have some sort of charity secks (orchestrated by Mr. Weed) but when you think about it, is that really something you should pine for? Really?

In the end, I JUST DON'T CARE. Sometimes I get myself wondering about these things and eventually come to a realization that I'm motivated only by jealousy ("dammit that guy can do it while I can't") and, as much as I hate using the word, I actually like being in the friend zone. After all is said and done, yeah, secks just ain't my thing. But at the same time, it sort of bugs me watching my life go by while I'm doing nothing. Not everyone is cut out for those things I suppose, and I'm one of them. :)

It's cool if you have a low sex drive, as long as you're honest from the very beginning with your potential partner. You may end up meeting someone whose needs are similar. You may also meet someone who prefers to be more active; in that case, you'll have to communicate about how you want to address the issue. Some couples do semi-open relationships, in which the partner with the higher sex drive is "permitted" to have no-strings attached sex with other people on the down low; some couples break up. Either way, as long as you and your partner communicate honestly, you can find a good, healthy relationship no matter your sex drive.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

By the way, have a picture of Bobbie the cat

Don't doxx me, OP

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
Definitely tell your doctor. As for where you got the pills, just say you don't want to get anyone in trouble and leave it at that. I don't know how doctor-patient confidentiality works in Croatia, though, so I might be way off base.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
Holy CROW, Fatbeard, you'd better tell your doctor.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

poo poo, I know I started rambling now and it's only a matter of time before I start losing coherence, but I want to ask a question to E/N forum mods, Bobbie in particular. Remember the time when I engaged in that racist spergout, quite some time ago - pretty much out of the blue? I said some very unfortunate things and people started calling me out (not without a reason) and it really bugged me out because I once again ended up being misunderstood. The question is; how come I completely avoided any sort of forums' related punishment? And the fact that I'm allowed to post while high (such as right now) and not only admit that I'm high (which is clearly against the rules), but actually be encouraged to post while high?

I know I sometimes write funny stuff, and that I'm often misunderstood because of my assburgers, but the mods gave me serious amounts of clemency, probably knowing that deep down, I'm the sort of person who'd give you a big bear hug and then softly whisper into your ear; "I love you, my nigga." :)

First, I'm the only mod in E/N, I don't think it's ever had more than one at a time. So you can come to me for all your E/N needs! Anyway, the second thing is that I wasn't the mod at the time, so you'd have to ask who was, which is Detective Monkey, who has basically retired from the forums to raise her baby or something lame like that.

If I had to guess, though, you were treated leniently because your posts have always been coherent and pleasant, even the ones you wrote while you were high. The No Drunk/High Posting rule isn't strictly enforced across the forum; it's something that is discouraged, especially when posters are belligerent and/or incoherent, but this isn't a hard and fast rule. Personally I'm okay with someone admitting they're drunk or stoned as long as they're not posting garbage or picking fights.

Finally, I think I remember the incident you're referring to, over the use of the phrase "chimping out." Det. Monkey reprimanded you in a post, and you responded in a thoughtful manner. You apologized, explained yourself (it's understandable that a white Eastern European wouldn't be familiar with American prejudice against blacks), understood why what you said wasn't cool, and haven't said anything like that since.

You're a valuable poster, and not just because you create content. Your interactions with everyone bears you out as a decent, thoughtful person.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Well it's not like I haven't been banned over less, so I'm a bit confused over the 'clemency towards racism' thing - misunderstood or not - which should have defaulted into a forums ban. For example, Ozma banned my '07 account during the Something Awful's Pony Pogrom of 2012, and I neglected to read the rules that ponypostin' on the forums is not kosher. I didn't even get the chance to explain that I was tripping balls on subs and that the ponies are the best thing to watch after snorting a line or two. I mean, I know that being a weeaboo while pushing 40 is already bad enough, but ponies? gently caress you forums' poster, we can't have that. I don't know, maybe I'm at fault, maybe it's Ozma's fault, but the ban felt as if your friend suddenly kicked you in nuts and told you to gently caress off, especially as I'm the sort of poster who typically stays out of trouble. :(

None of this stuff happened when I was a moderator, so I really can't speak on it. All I can really say is that moderation isn't an exact science, every mod and subforum is different, and standards/policies change over time. Obviously racism is bad, but I guess Det. Monkey gave you a pass because it was inadverdant and you apologized. (Unfortunately, there are a lot of innocuous terms that actually have racist/prejudiced origins or contexts, so I really do think Det. Mo's response was fair.)

Don't dwell on receiving what you think is undeserved leniency. That's a great way to backslide into self-destructive thinking and habits.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
I love your stories, especially about the history of Zagreb. And your English never fails to impress me.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Depression is a symptom, not a disease. There's dozens of not hundreds of possible causes and medication won't work on most of them because of the complexity of the condition.

Depression can be a symptom, or more likely a comorbid condition. My depression and ADD can exacerbate each other, but they both require treatment. Source: I thought my depression was a symptom of my ADD, but it turns out I was wrong and eventually went back on an anti-depressant. It was a good run, though, about a year.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, that's a weird argument. I don't think you can disqualify something as an illness because it's a "structural" condition and not a chemical one, especially since structure and chemistry are functions of one another in the human body.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Old Binsby posted:

A broken arm hurts but the treatment isn't primarily painkillers - i.e. chemically. It's resetting the bone and a cast to make sure it heals properly, structurally.

Don't forget that chemicals have an effect on structure, though: putting that broken arm in a cast doesn't grow new bone, or smooth away and reabsorb part of the broken bone to make room for said new bone. It can be argued that you want the set the bone properly in order to facilitate the chemistry of healing.

Fetal development is dictated by chemical signals that determine how the body is formed, which in turn impacts how chemicals are made, received, and regulated, which in turn impacts the forms and functions of the structures of the human body. Biology is a complex feedback system that relies on chemical communication, so I think it's a bit weird to say that chemistry only a symptom and not a cause. I mean, if thinking about it that way works for you, great, but I'm not sure the science behind it is solid.

I do agree with you that medication for mental illness alone is not enough. My recommendation has always been "Talk therapy before, during, and after a medication regime." Drugs are just tools, not the end goal.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

spankmeister posted:

*says he's completely clean*
*proceeds to do a bunch of drugs*
*circle of life continues*

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Old Binsby posted:

things itt occur in the most unpredictable ways imaginable but i kind of hope your dream was a premonition. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if mrs Weed turns out to be a killer at this point

Ftfy

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

From 150.000€ for an unlivable ruin from the 18th century, all the way to 400.000€ for something nicer. On the other hand, in rural Slavonia, you can get a newly built house and as well as a sizable plot of land around it for as little as 10.000€ because of extreme depopulation (exodus of Croats to Western countries), nobody wants to live there anymore so real estate is being sold for peanuts.

New Goon Project: repopulate Croatia.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

avshalemon posted:

fantastic. twisty let's move to slavonia, get married and raise goats together

I've got like three more years of fertility left, four tops, so let's start the spouse raffles soon.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Not expecting ASF to reply since he's indisposed at the moment, but can someone else tell me what he means by "makes forward hoops"?

I think he means somersaults?

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

spankmeister posted:

I used to get worried about op but he'll turn up eventually

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Bondage aficionado spotted.

I think she's a nurse, and nurses have to deal with crazy crazy crazy all the time.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Remember when A Sweaty Fatbeard’s threads had a lot of content about old radios, and walking tours of Zagreb, and stories about his whacky tenants?

Not really. His very first post was about getting high as gently caress, missing his first day of a new job, and accidentally drinking dish soap. You can't have very high expectations from a thread that contains the phrase "foamy poop volcano" in the OP.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

isnt that the first post of just this thread, tho

Yes, which is my exact point.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, fair points. I honestly forgot there have been multiple Fat Beard threads, and in fairness, this one is over three years old and time has blurred all of his threads into a single hazy recollection. You guys are right, there is a significant downward trend on ASFB's quality of life.

I suppose the question is, where do we want to go from here? Is keeping this thread open encouraging his self-destruction? I'm asking for honest opinions, because I have to admit, I feel ambivalent about keeping it open. The last thing I want is a morbid exhibition on substance abuse/countdown thread to ASFB's death by misadventure, but this thread is also really good.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

You'd have to ask A Sweaty Fatbeard, obviously, but I feel like this thread probably has some degree of therapeutic effect for him. I think there's a reason he keeps coming back to tell us about his life, and why he's so eager to tell us when he gets clean(ish). Again, you'd have to ask him. Maybe I am reading too much into this, but he's been keeping us up-to-date more or less regularly for years, now.

Yes, these are all good points; this is ultimately FatBeard's thread, and he's the one keeping it alive with his updates. I don't want to feed into a spectacle, but if this thread has value for him (and us) and if it helps him in some small way, I don't want to pull the plug. Or send it to TCC, I feel very possessive of ASFB.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

PilotOfTheStorm posted:

He asked me to let you all know that he is planning a big post to explain everything that has recently transpired and also to let you all know that he has kicked the dope and has no intention of going back that way.

Well, we'll see.

Edit: I'm glad you're talking to him and we're going to hear from him soon.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
I can't remember how old you are, but maybe don't hook up with a 20-year old you met at a mental hospital. Glad you're doing better, though.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

hand around the collection plate, see if we can get lowtax a few thousand bucks for medical tourism to croatia, i guess

YUSSSSSSS, and Fatbeard can be his guide and take care of him post-surgery.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
Aww, :h: for Baka.

Bobbie Wickham fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 6, 2018

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Shadow0 posted:

You can edit though. Even the guy right under you did it.

Edit: And now I have done it too!

The function that disables editing in E/N is buggy. In theory, no one should be able to edit on the app or the website, but in practice it works for some people on one or both platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Shadow0 posted:

I remember not being able to edit before (and being confused for a while by this). Then later I could edit, so I figured the feature was disabled. It seems like it should be an easy thing to fix though...

Radium code is not "easy to fix," unfortunately.