Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't think it's stupidity that makes people like that destroy programs that stop the spread of a disease associated in their minds with sinners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Probably us here in FL with that bill that would make it illegal for trans people to use the restroom they feel comfortable the most in using, which also allows people to file civil suits against businesses that don't abide by that law. It's so disgustingly bigoted it's not even funny.

Ahahaha!

I have a right to run my business however I want, if I don't want to serve gays that's my business and the government needs to respect it! Unless I want to accommodate a transperson, then I want to government right there to make me do what they say and tell me to go gently caress myself!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TheDisreputableDog posted:

That's certainly a feel-good conclusion! Well, let's take a look in more detail, shall we?

First, here's the original amendment. So they're "defunding" and "destroying" a program/budget line called "A.2.2 - HIV/STD prevention". Seems pretty bad.

But then if you look at the full budget, you can see they've allocated $191 million each year to the program. So, like a re-allocation of less than 1%.

Huh.

Yes cutting 1% of a program that saves lives, despite population growth alone requiring more resources, will kill people and is pretty bad, I agree.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rincewinds posted:

He is not a racist, muslims are not a race. :v:

Deporting all Muslims is an assault on religious freedom, we just have to point that out to Republicans and they'll reconsider

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PhilippAchtel posted:

You feel discriminated against as a Christian and want a law to ensure your religious freedom? Well, let me tell you what they do to Christians in <insert bad country>. Maybe you just need to harden up?

There is no discrimination against Christians in America. Comparing real discrimination to imaginary discrimination is not the same as comparing real discrimination to real-but-not-as-bad discrimination.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Radish posted:

No see Christians facing repression in other countries shows that American Christians are highly persecuted and need to fight back. Everyone else getting persecuted in other countries means that they have to love America more since it could be worse for you (HINT HINT).

Oh God this reminds me of the Dinesh D'Souza movie my dad took the whole family to that was basically this for two hours.

*Interviews Sioux woman who thinks it's hosed up that the federal government broke a treaty with their people and won't give back the sacred land they seized*
"Shame on you savages for not loving America enough!"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's still weird to me that lobster is even a luxury in most of the country.

It's like grey poupon. It only costs a few bucks but if a poor person eats it then it's all the proof that someone with a yacht and a dancing horse needs that the poor are grifters who are living high off the government.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Popular Thug Drink posted:

actually that's exactly what i would do, in my Lottery Fantasy. stick it all in a series of trusts and pay myself a quarter mil a year to gently caress around with. can't get in too much trouble. get all the money tied up and then do all my friends and family one big favor and then don't ask me for money again

Or just take the annuity that big jackpots offer you. Then you don't even have to worry about it, and you don't blow a fuckton on taxes by rocketing to the highest bracket for one year.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well no, actual lobster gets pretty expensive once you start getting way inland. I'm just from close enough to the fishing grounds that it's dirt cheap.

I decline your invitation to start an argument when you just reversed yourself to disagree with me.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Magres posted:

What is a discount rate? I've started seeing it a bunch in my research and I have no idea what it is and it's driving me crazy.

If you assume you can invest money and get, say, a 3% return then given the choice between $100 now and $100 one year from now, you'd pick the $100 now. Because you could invest it and have $103 in a year.

In order for them to be equal then, the choice would be between $97.01 now and $100 a year from now, because $97.01 invested at 3% for a year is $100. In this case 3% is the discount rate you have chosen, because future sums need to be discounted to find their present value. Using this discount rate, you would know that if you were instead offered say $50 now, then you should take $100 in a year because there's no way you could expect a $50 investment to get up to $100 in a year.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Armyman25 posted:

I brought up $15 an hour in conversation with a friend of mine. He asked why should someone make that much when he had to get a college degree and work for years to make $25.

Hey wouldn't it be great leverage for negotiating with your boss if he knew that you could quit anytime and mop floors and still make almost as much?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So now judges will campaign on denying all abortions, right?

Fuuuuuuuuuck.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That's a pretty funny talking point considering it makes the banks who are supposed to have the financial literacy look even dumber for issuing the junk loans that blew up their companies.

Although perhaps the lesson to be drawn here is the poor need to pay attention and be financially literate, but banks don't because they'll just get a few hundred billion from the government when they gently caress up.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't think anyone itt has said not to educate the poor. I've seen people saying that financial education is not the only barrier that poor people face, and not even the major one, so it should be combined with efforts to address everything else that keeps them poor. And that is all undoubtedly true.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You don't understand the argument that's being made.

The argument is that education is not enough, not that it shouldn't be done.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

site posted:

What I was trying to get at in regards to time value and poor people is that you're implying that the immediacy of things such as bills, insurance, room and board are things that can be tolerably delayed in lieu of doing things like investing and/or saving when that is incredibly not true in most cases. Time preference will always have to be money right now under these circumstances, right?

Time value of money refers to the fact that it is almost always preferable to have money now rather than later. The poor should (and do) rationally apply an even greater discount rate than the affluent because as you note, penalties and late fees on bills are going to exceed any potential gains from investing that money.

So it's not "you should always lock up your money in investments, poors", it's actually the opposite. It's "only lock your money away if the returns you get exceed the benefits of having use of your money right now". For affluent people that's true, and they can benefit from investment. For the poor, they can't do this because the money is critical right now. One of the many traps of our system that keep the poor impoverished.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 6, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ZenVulgarity posted:

Can't wait for someone to mark 'gay as hell'

Welp I know what I'm writing in the self-identification box next census

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

[Lobster]. It's like grey poupon. It only costs a few bucks but if a poor person eats it then it's all the proof that someone with a yacht and a dancing horse needs that the poor are grifters who are living high off the government.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Accelerationist strategy is weird. It's like, okay you plan to get enough people convinced that Republicans are the antichrist and Hillary is little better to actually start throwing elections...and you want to use that influence to elect, not real leftists...but the Tea Party.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm sure educating people and organizing them will be so much easier once they're working their hands to the bone day and night just to feed their families and keep the lights on, while the fascists are telling them everything is the fault of the blacks and the mexicans and the gays, and the Republicans only let themselves get stabbed in the back because they were too weak to do what really needed to be done.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

But the outcome of getting banned or not personally affects you, so ethically you need to recuse yourself from judging whether good enough arguments have been presented to convince you.

I'm willing to accept the responsibility of judging so let it devolve upon me.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's weird that Bill O'Reilly and I share the same fantasies about a Hillary Presidency :allears:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Zelder posted:

Accelerationism is, to my black mind, something disaffected and well off white people tell themselves because they're depressed

Yup that's it.

A single mother who depends on food stamps to feed her kids has to vote Democrat and vote Democrat right now to keep that from getting cut off. She can't afford to entertain the idea of a Ted Cruz protest vote to teach the DNC a lesson.

But if I'm a bitter teen and I know mommy and daddy are there to pay my bills then sure, gently caress that single mother and her stupid kids. I'm gonna try with all my might to cut off their food, because she needs to be throwing Molotov cocktails to start the revolution that I want. I'd throw those cocktails myself but man, I might get in trouble and lose my comforts.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zoux posted:

But theres only the one woman president?

You don't have to be Presidet to get your face on a bill. Being a horndog also qualifies you.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Judging me on the content of my character?! That's...that's just like racism!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Don't judge me for the content of my character, you racist.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

drakegrim posted:

But it was meant to be a smoke and mirror situation politicly just like ferguson, and all that other poo poo.

Oh boy, and from what devious trick were these smoke and mirrors distracting everyone's attention? Another Benghazi?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh no, not a foul mouthed President! Good heavens!

I do declare this coarse language shall give me the vapors!

*fans self vigorously*

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hillary's husband is scum and betrayed her over and over, just as she deserves. Hey laaaaaaaaadies! Vote GOP.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PupsOfWar posted:

was T.R. a big ole cusser?

Honestly I don't know, I just wanted to post a bully picture of that bully chap. Bully!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Seasoning, the centerpiece of human culinary art and culture since before the invention of writing, is a recently-concocted plot by Michelle Obama to cover up the deep dark secret that potatoes don't taste like all that much. You heard it here first in USPol April.

What are you hiding under that cumin, Michelle, is it...COMMUNISM?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

El Disco posted:

Cumminism.

drat it!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

If you wondered how far neoreactionaries and MRAs have spread in our political system, well, they have made it to the op-eds of the NYT. They briefly hired one of those NRx "race realists" for like a week a month or so back before he was let go when people pointed out his body of work. In that link we have Ross Douthat talk about him offering the "red pill" that refutes abortion, equality, policies of economic uplift, and "progressivism" in general.

Its gonna get worse before it gets better.

Hmm

quote:

the way that many idealistic and progressive-minded figures in the past took racial hierarchies for granted, arguing for white economic uplift while ignoring the more fundamental victimization of African-Americans.

Maybe contemporary progressives have entirely eliminated these sorts of blind spots. On the other hand, If you take the red pill I occasionally offer to readers of this column, you’ll see today’s progressivism as a force that has consistently liberated adults at the expense of children’s basic rights and that depends on a great deal of hidden violence

Oh someone is talking about all the violence that underlies society and the way blacks have been left out of--

quote:

— millions upon millions of abortions, above all — to sustain its particular vision of equality.
:what:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Joementum posted:

The weekly address from the President and the GOP (represented by Paul Ryan) are in agreement. Can you guess the issue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOEUD6YYzLk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN4pfxOtdxk

Goddratit I was really hoping my guess was wrong :suicide:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

uggy posted:

I know I'm not the only person that's asked for this before but I sort of couldn't keep up with the thread for a while. Does anybody have that excellent post that talks about charter schools handy? I think it was a goon that made it and it was really good and poo poo.

Thanks

I saw one quoted in another thread, is this what you mean?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'm sure she isn't in exactly the same way that PACs run by a candidate's brother-in-law are totally unconnected to his presidential campaign and definitely don't share money or coordinate on strategy.

So do you have any actual proof or evidence to back up the accusations of fraud and embezzlement that you're making here?

E: Oh, I see now: Muslims donated

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I don't believe corporations or Gulf petro-monarchies are even capable of acting philanthropically so I can only assume the donations are about influence. What other explanation is there?

Am I too cynical in this case?

People can be horrible evil rulers and still give to charity; Dick Cheney gives millions to charities every year.

It's possible that maybe they're choosing the Clinton Foundation to kiss up to her and benefit from goodwill, but the idea that one of the best domestic fundraisers in politics today has to go begging to trade favors to foreign governments for charitable donations that will illicitly spend on her campaign is pretty out there. Absent some proof, it's indistinguishable from any other nonsense invented by her opponents over the years like front running cattle futures or murdering aides.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Saying that the Clinton Foundation will wink-wink nudge-nudge campaign for her under the radar and that's why these donations are bad is an implicit accusation that Hillary's selling out to them though.

She's not Dinesh D'Souza; she's way too well-financed via conventional means from evil horrible people on Wall Street for it to make any sense for her to commit felonies to get a bit more advertising money from evil horrible oil princes. The perfectly legal lobbyists and donors that got Bill Clinton to disembowel Glass-Steagal and deregulate derivatives trading did way more damage to this country than anything the Emir of Kuwait could ever do.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dancer posted:

I'm not saying the scandal isn't fake, but the logic here isn't that you've taken blood money (where you can still make a case against it, though it's certainly not impenetrable), the logic here is that you're exchanging something for the blood money which, if true, would be a significantly worse thing to do.

Yeah but why would Hillary do that.

She can raise more legitimately from Wall Street criminals and doing them favors isn't even a felony (thanks, Supreme Court)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Amergin posted:

EDIT: But seriously, as soon as looting happens you kill any progress you've tried to make with regards to race relations. Good luck ever garnering sympathy when as soon as one of your own dies you respond by looting 7-Elevens. There's a reason you're kept in the ghetto.

Okay okay thanks, but dial it back a notch drat

• Locked thread