Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICnlyNUt_0o

That isn't a George Michael song. Also, pangolins exist.

I figured each of these out like two years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

sassassin posted:

I find the idea that you have to have a drink with food pretty weird tbh. Are you all chewing properly?

Good point. Drinking with meals must be super uncommon. Otherwise every single meal you can purchase at every restaurant on the planet would come with a beverage.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I can't tell if you're being serious or ironic. Either way you're wrong. Restaurants don't provide you with a free drink because they want you to buy drinks.

You're wrong.

Bonster posted:

Restaurants provide you with free water all the time.

You're right.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

In the Venture Brothers intro, the skull thing has the silhouette of Hank and Dean doing the "go team Venture" move.

Note: This is only in Season 2 and beyond. I just fast forwarded, rewound, paused, and slow-moed the Season 1 opening for an embarrassingly long amount of time trying to figure out what the gently caress you were talking about.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

flosofl posted:

Same with In The Navy (in regards to it being about the Navy)

Now Hot Cop on the other hand, well he just wants to boogie on the disco floor.

Today I learned there are more than two Village People songs.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

That until now, just this once, in another country/culture, I've never seen a homeless woman - only men. Maybe the rest of this post would better fit in the A/T stupid questions thread, but what would be the cause of this imbalance?

You've seen them. They've just been prostituting instead of begging, so you didn't notice.

Edit: Sure, why wouldn't this be a page snipe.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Here'sa handy list of where to find a lot of homeless women in Australia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_immigration_detention_facilities

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I am really bad with faces, like pretty exceptionally bad, and I constantly mix up big-name actors with less famous ones that look sort of, vaguely, similar to them.

Even though I know they aren't the more famous person, I still often remember lesser celebs this way.

rydiafan: Honey, who's that guy who isn't Christian Slater?
Mrs. rydiafan: Stephen Dorf?
rydiafan: That's the guy, thanks!

Actual conversation.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Bishop survived his attack by a xenomorph. He died in a shuttle crash. He then was resurrected killed a second time by Ripley.

:goonsay:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

Notably not the version with the lines about Parson Brown, which is what started this conversation. That version has the narrator pretending it's a circus clown.

Those are two different verses, and the standard version of the song has both.

That said, even if they're kids having the snowman marry them isn't creepy. Playing house is harmless; it's not like they're playing doctor.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

porkswordonboard posted:

Salt is actually a super fascinating topic that has its fingers in every pie and has shaped the world more than many of us realize. Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky covers everything from saltmaking to politics to recipes to etymology. One small example is the word "salary," also derived from salt, as Roman soldiers were often paid partly in salt. I think it's super interesting!

I own multiple copies of this book because I loan it to anybody whose hands I can shove it into. It's a shockingly deep subject.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

But that's because Ryan gosling is emotionless.

He ate cereal in tribute of that one guy, which was kinda sweet.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Whitlam posted:

Today I learnt that I wasn't wrong for thinking it had been "buried the lead" all my life, and that "lede" is just an American thing.

I'm an American, and I've never seen "lede" in my life.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

fullroundaction posted:

Thanks to the subs on tonight's Walking Dead I learned that corny 7 note song ending / door knocking pattern is known as: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shave_and_a_Haircut

Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIpG0eggtpY

You should have learned this watching something better.

https://youtu.be/sDsgkRW2hDA

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

It's easier to have issue with me liking Fallout 4 more than New Vegas, for example, than admitting that Bethesda clearly does Fallout better than its original developers.

Nobody has an issue with you liking Four more than New Vegas. Their issue is that your reasoning was batshit insane, and equated to not liking Super Mario Brothers because you die if you jump in a pit, and that's restrictive gameplay.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Just to remind you, people actually tried to argue that Cazadore Alley was anything but a terrible choice.

Correct. Because it's actually an incredibly good choice.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Jestery posted:

Dicing means to chop something the size of dice.

Nope.

nexus6 posted:

Is it though? To dice is to cut something into cubes, doesn't matter the size

Well, dice come in a variety of sizes, so I guess no matter what size you chop the food you can say it's the same size as dice. Also you can cut it into any shape, since dice come in a variety of those too.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

As long as we're on a music sampling derail I'll share this piece of history.

https://youtu.be/5SaFTm2bcac

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

What the hell is a Twitter app? I mean, isn't Twitter the only Twitter app you need?

Edit: I'm old and confused.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Bogan King posted:

Thankfully here in :australia: we're quite comfortable being open with our racism so don't need dog whistles like that.

Post/avatar text combo.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Besesoth posted:

The US doesn't have official fixed dates for the beginning of seasons, period;

I live in the US and my calendar has a "first day of Spring" on it. :shrug:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Then why are you celebrating Thanksgiving???

https://youtu.be/f2Iku1ciTBM

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://youtu.be/B1QpyGa61zs

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I hope to loving God I'm missing some ironic reference there.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

syscall girl posted:

Hitler or Stalin or Mao may have had the highest death counts but Genghis had the highest rape count.

And the horde did so much damage it's hard to compare numbers there.

(Mao was working on the rape bit but he was fat and lazy)

This isn't the "which dictators raped the most people" thread. Sorry if you're confused.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Cage posted:

I do this, except I replace the chocolate with whiskey.

And then substitute the OJ with ice.

This isn't the Lifehack thread.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Get the gently caress out of town.

Wait
"Despite its vernacular name, it is not a member of Capra, the genus that includes all other goats, such as the wild goat, Capra aegagrus, from which the domestic goat is derived."

If you think that's crazy: https://youtu.be/uhwcEvMJz1Y

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

"The terminology of "fish" tells nothing about its biology. Biologically speaking, a salmon is more related to a camel than a hagfish. Just because they are sea-dwelling creatures, doesn't mean they are more or less related to each other. Salmon and camels are both Gnathostomata while hagfish are Myxini. All three are Chordata which includes mammals, amphibians, reptiles and fish but excludes all insects and arthropods.

In other words, when someone says 'fish', from a phylogenetic and cladistic standpoint they have to include frogs and chickens as well."

Salmon and hagfish are no more the same thing because they swim than a hawk and a bat are the same thing because they fly.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

That's all well and good. Counterpoint: bronies.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I've had dumb arguments with people over whether monotremes like the platypus are mammals. They get really insistent that they're not. "But they lay eggs!"

But being the only mammals that lay eggs is literally the only thing 99% of people know about monotremes. You'd think people would be willing to accept such a universal trivium. It'd be like insisting bats aren't mammals because they can fly.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Kinda like "Catholics and Christians".

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

You can also make them for free by cutting the bottom off your tuna can after you use it.

Walla!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Another one is calculating multiplication facts. 19 x 12 seems like a tough problem, but you can break it down: multiply 19 x 10 to get 190, then add 38 to that (19 x 2). The solution is 228.

1) I find working with 10 divisible numbers easiest, so I'd do 20*12-12

2) This is literally common core math, and adults that use it in day to day life are making GBS threads themselves that it's being taught to their kids.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah? But they spelled it Gianna. IDK what's going on anymore.

Wikipedia posted:

The player takes the role of Giana (referred to as Gianna in the scrolling intro and also the intended name before a typo was made on the cover art and the developers just went with that rather than having the cover remade[1]), a girl who suffers from a nightmare, in which she travels through 32 dungeons full of monsters, while collecting ominous diamonds and looking for her sister Maria. If the player wins the final battle, Giana will be awakened by her sister.[2]

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Carful, is super flammable! And also INflammable!

I'm sorry, I need at least thirty more stanzas to understand your point.

MisterBibs posted:

Sydney to Brisbane is a hour-and-a-half flight, or a ten-hour drive.

Australia is big, folks.

It's smaller than the lower 48 states of America, so meh?

rydiafan has a new favorite as of 05:09 on Oct 13, 2017

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://youtu.be/VEyDNTLlRgU

:colbert:

Edit: Although I think this is in 3, NV, and 4 so it's not a "compare the soundtracks" entry.

rydiafan has a new favorite as of 16:15 on Nov 14, 2017

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

A girl with colitis goes by.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The holy people in Westeros are called Septons and their churches are Septs because there are seven gods.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Something something volcano girl! :ocelot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Mr.Tophat posted:

Ech

The book and film came before the band, I don't see it really

Allow me to read your avatar text to you.