Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
The letter "S" is probably deliberately shaped like a snake. It's the Latin alphabet, and the word for snake in Latin is "Serpens." It can't possibly be a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

syscall girl posted:

Have you seen how jaggy the early forms of letters are?

I don't know if it's because they had to be carved into stone or wax or what but there's nothing sinuous about early forms of "s"

It could be trying to look snakelike but the ancient "s" looks more like a sideways "w"

Ah, you're right. The original letter was much more jagged, so that probably nixes my snake theory.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

OctoberBlues posted:

I think I have figured out at least five times that "Fight Song" is by someone named Rachel Platten and not Katy Perry.

I didn't believe it until I looked it up. Guess pop singers really are interchangeable.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
The metal band Mastodon (best known for that song WHITE! WHALE! HOLY! GRAIL!) is from post-2000, not from the '80s like I had assumed for some reason. I think it was the album artwork.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Despite living in the same area for my entire life, I somehow only just noticed that all the numbered streets go north/south, and the lettered streets go east/west. Now I understand why the names of same roads change after they go around a 90 degree bend, previously it had made no sense to me. I'm sure I had been told this amazingly obvious fact at some point in my life, it just never clicked until now. In my defense I have a terrible sense of direction.

Sucrose has a new favorite as of 09:33 on Jan 4, 2016

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

dirksteadfast posted:

:aaaaa:

28 years. I never even questioned why the dove had one wing, I just accepted it.

Holy poo poo. Same.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Yeah I don't know what rock you've been living under to not know about the banana boat song.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

sweeperbravo posted:

I really just want to know why now, ~15 years after that song came out, the meme people suddenly noticed & latched onto it.

"Things becoming memes 10 years after they were last relevant" seems to be a common meme trend. See also Prequel memes, Shrek, Spongebob, Lazy Town, that godawful Cat in the Hat movie, 10 year old Simpson's episodes, and uh.....I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Basically, if you're looking to start a new meme, I'd suggest trawling through the dregs of pop culture from ten years ago.

edit: I just figured out it's spelled "prequel" not "prequal."

Sucrose has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Apr 12, 2017

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Ein cooler Typ posted:

It's not a new meme

This ytmnd was made 5 years ago http://momspaghetti.ytmnd.com/

YTMND is like the Missing Link of many inexplicable video memes.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

HairyManling posted:

Linkin' Park and Limp Bizkit are two separate bands. I can't exactly explain why, but until last night when I was listening to terrible early 2000's music and my son was telling me about these lovely bands that came from the era - my brain had always somehow grouped them into being the same band. Mind blown.

Wasn't it revealed that Limp Bizkit only got some of the radio airtime they did because of payola? Or maybe that's just what I want to believe.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

thecluckmeme posted:

Yep, aggressive "marketing" at radio stations to play their tracks from their label. It's illegal to slip a station money under the table to play their music, so they just gave the cash over the table meaning everything was on the up-and-up :downs:

I think those involved eventually had to pay millions in FCC fines though, if I've found the right case.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I just learned that all uses of the word "check" (including "cheque") in the English language are derived from the chess term of checking your opponent's king, and the word "check" itself is simply derived from the word "chess." Mind blown.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

SirSlarty posted:

It's based on Dance of the Cygnets from Swan Lake by Tchaikovsky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIC0nm4nrI8

Whosampled.com is always the best resource for going down musical rabbit holes like this.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

rydiafan posted:

As long as we're on a music sampling derail I'll share this piece of history.

https://youtu.be/5SaFTm2bcac

Sad thing is the drummer of the Amen Break died broke and homeless in the street.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
For some reason I was convinced for years that in the movie Mouse Hunt, the actor playing Nathan Lane's character's brother was Jon Cryer. It's not, it's Lee Evans. To be fair, I haven't seen the movie since I was a kid, but now I totally have false memories of Jon Cryer being in it.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

bewilderment posted:

Marry and merry are obviously different. An E is not an A. Just like you say "a bow and arrow" not "a bow and errow". The letter A makes a mouth-opening 'ah' sound.

Your advice is useless because in my dialect the 'e' in 'error' is the exact same sound as the 'a' in 'arrow.' So if "errow" was a word, to me it would just be a homophone with "arrow."

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

Nah, I'm from the states, I just said "official" since thanksgiving was taught more as a "don't be racist to natives" day when I was a kid

You're crazy then, Thanksgiving is celebrated nation-wide and is an obvious harvest festival.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

That's a long moment of realization.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Axel Foley isn't a/the Beverly Hills cop in the motion picture Beverly Hills Cop.

The infamous Crazy Frog song is called "Axel F" because it's a remix of the Beverly Hills Cop theme.

Everyone over 30 probably already knew this.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to have a dad that plays video games, mine thinks it's a foolish waste of time. Which, okay, I can't really argue with

I probably have one of the oldest video game-playing dads, and he only ever plays first-person shooters, only ever plays on PC, only ever plays the singleplayer campaigns, and has zero interest in any sort of gaming culture.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

someone awful. posted:

I looked it up from curiosity and apparently the American English pronunciation is the older one (happens a lot with Am.E actually), so that's interesting

Lots of words drop the 'l' in their pronunciation: chalk, yolk, uh...walk, talk, etc. So the pronunciation of "solder" is not really surprising.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Get this, Roald Dahl didn't like children much.

When I was a kid Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the book) kind of scared me because I didn't understand the concept of black humor at that age, and here was Willy Wonka talking nonchalantly about how a kid was going to be burned up in the furnace and whatnot.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Phy posted:

A proper Kaysarr salad should be dressed with garum

I just figured out that i would definitely rather fight a hundred duck-sized horses than one horse-sized duck. It goes back to the whole "poor Freckles, thought of ants and died" thing. A horse is fragile in both body and spirit. Take away their size and momentum, and what have they got? Tiny little horse bites.

Meanwhile we already have a word for "horse-sized duck", that word is "dinosaur" and I don't want to fight a friggin dinosaur.

I don't know why anyone would choose one horse-sized duck. A horse-sized duck would be terrifying. 100 duck sized horses, on the other hand, would be adorable.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
References to something eerie being “in the twilight zone“ predate the show.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Knowing that there are people out there who uncheck that box brings me pain.

(Whew. Smooth save.)

You're still getting it wrong!

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

The red-tailed hawk stock sound is also used for pretty much any high altitude shot of any landscape. It's synonymous with height, basically.

Similarly, this sound is used synonymously with "The north/wilderness."

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Sucrose posted:

Similarly, this sound is used synonymously with "The north/wilderness."

Also, the sound of cicadas is used so often to indicate "heat/the summer" in media that I think as a kid I mentally thought that the sun made a sort of sizzling noise sometimes.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

a kitten posted:

Part of the deal is that they were so new to recording that the singer was standing on his tiptoes and yelling trying to reach the overhead mic

And then the FBI got involved because it was supposedly obscene. Somewhere I heard a good podcast about it

e: this one https://www.kcrw.com/culture/shows/lost-notes/louie-louie-the-strange-journey-of-the-dirtiest-song-never-written

Something about the FBI investigating dirty lyrics really cracks me up. It's amazing how much American culture changed in 30-some years between say 1960 and 1990.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

My understanding is with the two-shot vaccines if you do have a bad reaction it may be due to the vaccine interacting with antibodies you already have, so if you feel sick after the second dose it's the antibodies you've built up from the first dose, but if you feel sick after the first dose it's because you already had COVID and developed antibodies.

Interesting. Yeah I just had my first dose yesterday and felt absolutely nothing. My uncle had the second dose and was apparently horribly sick for 48 hours. He also doesn't have a spleen though, I dunno if that would make any difference.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

a kitten posted:

I just learned that Tricky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3R_3h6zQEs

did not sample Portishead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ylDDs3mdJE

But instead, they are both independently sampling an Isaac Hayes song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfVbrPoLc3w

The website whosampled.com is great, if you're not already aware of it.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think you should leave the explaining to someone else, buddy

I think a couple of you got whooshed.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I have a terrible sense of direction so orienting a map so that north is pointing towards actual north is pretty much a non-starter.

Interestingly, apparently there's some languages in the world where people are always aware of what direction they're facing and rather than referring to things or people as being to the right or left of each other they'll refer to them by direction. For example, if two boxes are laying next to each other, rather than saying "pick up the box on the left" like we would, they'd say to pick up the box that's to the east.

Even more interesting, there's an indigenous language on Bali that's directional like this, but instead of north/south/east/west, the directions refer to something as being towards the volcano at the center of the island, or away from it. So the four directions are center/out/heading clockwise/heading counterclockwise.

Sucrose has a new favorite as of 14:44 on Apr 23, 2021

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

fizzymercury posted:

This entire conversation is actual gibberish to me because of dyscalculia. I never get lost anywhere but I can't read a map at all and if you asked me to find north I'd start crying. I find my way around by guessing and I guess correctly but I never know how I got anywhere. Dyscalculia is hosed up on a good day, but orienteering? Totally new level of fuckery to me. I'm convinced everyone is like me and pretending really hard when they read a map and just following their gut. Like making up a card game as you go along.

Learning disorders feel like a superpower sometimes.

It's ok, I just quizzed myself "what direction am I facing" and had to think about it for a good 30 seconds.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Its like 1:30 - 1:20 brains.

It's more weird to have the cilantro soap genes.

We're not that weird. We just live in a society that's perfectly happy doing the same loving thing at the same time every day forever and that is hell for people whose entire genetic code is wired to ask "what the gently caress is this and what happens if I gently caress with it? Let me think about all the other poo poo I noticed about it..."

Not taken that way! Sorry my wife is trying to get me to not say poo poo like stupid or crazy about myself and by extension I've been a little more reactive when I hear stuff like that from other Brains, because I want a future where people learn about their differences positively.

Yeah certain people always complain that pills are over-prescribed and the pharmaceutical industry and blah blah blah, but personally I think the main reason that so many people are on some sort of medication or another, especially for anxiety and depression, is that we live in a world that's so wholly unlike the one that we evolved for that our brains just can't handle it well. There's too much uncertainty, there's too many things going on, there's too much information, too many distractions, too many possible choices. We're not wired for this, and the people who naturally are are in the minority.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Dababy and Bhad Bhaby (if I got the spelling wrong on either of these, I qpologize) are not at all the same tbjng.

I think there's also a rapper called Lil' Baby.

I can't remember which one has the meme about turning into a convertible.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

I don't know if it's canon but I just saw the Music Man on broadway, not having seen any version of it since maybe in high school, and the "little brother" Winthrop is supposed to be Marian's illegitimate child from a man who abandoned her right?

Isn’t Marian supposed to be like, 16 years old?

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Weembles posted:

How does a 16 year old get a job as a librarian and the reputation for being an old maid?

Oh, uh, I think I must be remembering my high school’s production of The Music Man, where the girl playing Marian probably was actually 16 years old.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
8 Mile Road in Detroit is named not because it’s 8 miles long, but rather because it’s 8 miles from the south boundary of Wayne County.

I just realized this because I live in Michigan, but the rural roads in my county going north-south are numbered 1st, 2nd, etc, starting at the western boundary of the county, and the east-west roads are lettered A avenue, B avenue, etc, starting at the northern boundary. But in the next county to the east, the north-south roads are named for how many miles east they are from the western county line, e.g. 19 and 1/2 Mile Road. And then Wayne County does it a third way.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

You don't pea it out?

Fun fact peas were originally “pease,” a mass noun, but it got re-interpreted as pea+s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
The song “Lolli Lolli (Pop That Body)” by Three 6 Mafia came on the radio and I suddenly realized it samples the Halloween Theme. It’s a really obvious sample but somehow I’d never noticed before.

Sucrose has a new favorite as of 03:48 on Jul 13, 2023