Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

MadScientistWorking posted:

Or you could just really start asking them why they never asked any of the harassed as to the abuse they received?

Why not both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Zak S hates trans people.

Like, you'd think the doxxing and the harassment and the slurs and whatnot would make that obvious, but since it apparently needs to be said I'll say it again: Zak S hates trans people.

But he's friends with trans people!!!!!1*

* - No one believes this.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

LatwPIAT posted:

I believe it. Not because he says so, but because said trans friends have come out and said "I'm trans and friends with Zak Smith" or words to that effect. I don't think those people are lying.

But.

But. Having trans friends does not mean you can't be transphobic.

Yeah basically, I'm thinking that any trans person who is his friend is only because they don't know the poo poo he's pulled, and continues to pull, on trans folk.

Then again, that probably applies to any of his friends, though how anyone can continue to be so despite a plentiful amount of evidence against him just boggles the mind. Cult of personality, willful ignorance, or a combination of the two. Take your pick.

quote:

I am confused, are we supposed to feel this reflects well on Avery Alder, famous RPG writer, because she kills people who like Trump and is in control of her sexuality, or is it supposed to paint Avery Alder, known storygaming swine, as a serial killer?

Yes.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Seebs is cancer.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

The Gentry scare mages.

Terry Pratchet's line from Lords and Ladies always comes to mind when people talk about the Gentry.

quote:

Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Axelgear posted:

Wasn't that in one of the books?

Probably. The only one I ever read was the main C:tL book and that was years and years ago.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

MachineIV posted:

Yeah. It's me. Friend got me an account. And, I figure, at very least I can waste Zak's time making more ridiculous Glenn Beck association charts if I post here.

Thank you.

Welcome to the cesspit, David.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Senior Scarybagels posted:

So me and my friends, one of which posts in this thread who happens to be the ST, are playing a Hunter game, and this is the current story line.

The group features Terry Fetcher (me), VASCU's Computer Forensics Expert and winnebago owner; Lakewood and O'conner, Bad Cop and Badder Cop duo who cannot be separated at all, much to the chagrin of the VASCU higher ups. Billy, the Drug dealer and Drug Using Cabbie Driver from Chicago who knows all the good stuff. And the Doctor, a Cheiron doctor who is really just there for medical experimentation, and apparently stitching Vampire skin onto himself.

Previously the agents were sent out on a Mission by Agent Smith, our contact in order to figure out who stole a special camera from thescience museum and why. Our agents bravely went forth to the Museum where we found that the person who stole the camera did not appear at all on the camera film. Our first thought, provided by lakewood, was that it was Assassin Yetis. This quicky was shot down as we had found that the person who had stolen the camera had driven off in an early Chevrolet automobile. Using the lead we found that the tag owner was none other than a Vampire. Our investigation lead us to a woobie vampire named Thomas, who sounds surprising like Ringo who tipped us off about where we could find the vampire in question with Terry quickly attaching himself to Thomas. I would give the vampire's name but the notes we keep online is currently down so let's call him Craig. Craig was usually found hanging out at a nightclub called the Sanguine Club. Which I am going to be honest, the Vampires could have spent a little more time making a less obvious name for their club.

Inside Lakewood quickly went to speak with the manager as the rest of us took part in the revelry downstairs. While Lakewood learned more about Craig and the Camera we found that people were entranced. They could not stop dancing no matter how tired or dead they looked. Their dancing and partying would not stop. We quickly got out of the bar, not wanting to get infected by the obvious Interdimensional Space Spore that was feeding on the people's emotions, with Lakewood stealing a cellphone, calling 911 and throwing it into the crowd. It was after all, an emergency. We learned from Lakewood that craig had taken pictures of the bar with the camera, explaining to the manager that the camera could take pictures of spirits. Of course at the time we didn't know what it would actually do is open up small holes to the spirit realm where the spirits could come out temporarily and feast upon the emotions and such within the people in the area. We also learned that craig could be found usually hanging out in the sewers.

We needed to find Craig and we needed to find him fast. But first we needed to learn more about spirits so we went to a two bit Psychic who was not actually psychic but learned in the world of the occult. She gave us a bit of information about spirits. It was off to the sewers we went! Within the sewers we found Thomas on the top level, feeding on what I imagine to be mice. Thomas is a woobie like I said. We had thomas go back home because things might get dangerous and he quickly obliged. Heading downstairs and down deeper into the sewers we heard someone yell at us not to get closer, and to illustrate the point they fired a warning shot at us. They were hunting after a vampire, which what'dya know we were too. However the Hunters weren't really willing to help us and were very sovereign citizen. So of course we had an altercation. It ended with us luring them into a trap and taking them both out. We weren't going to arrest them cause to be honest there is no law against shooting something that is already dead.

They informed us the path that we were originally heading down was a dead end. So we took the opposite path and eventually came across craig who was clutching the camera tightly. After some convincing we managed to get the camera out of his hands and we started to quickly move out of the sewer. As we left towards the entrance. We heard a voice behind us, chasing us, threatening. We shot behind us to no avail and as the group provided (except the doctor) cover for Terry and the Doctor to get out with the camera only for terry to be yanked into a Metal door where he was held up by a Vampire offering either the choice of his life or to give him the camera. Either way he thought the camera would get into the hands of this vampire, who was threatening life, which Terry didn't want to happen, so he thought (though soon learning how bad of an idea it was) and shot the camera, shattering.

The vampire let go of Terry and escaped and we learned how terrible of an idea it was: The camera openned a hole into the spirit realm and now we were dealing with the after math. After discussing a person well versed in Spirits and A hobo who is connected to the city, we made a plan to get rid of the hole: Create a spirit distillery in wrigley Field, using 50 cent beer night to get the stadium packed with people and then use that to lure the spirits over to get them and turn them into Spirit goo to seal the hole. so yeah, we are the best federal agents now.

Are you sure your group isn't the gang from Always Sunny?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I understand, conspiracy theories are fascinating because they're the closest thing the United States has developed to it's own unique religion.

Um excuse me our unique religion is called Football :colbert:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

CobiWann posted:

"Fine! I will set myself in a shrine where no mortal would dare speak of tearing it down because of their slavish devotion to those within! Lackey, find me a place under this Yankee Stadium."

:golfclap:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

The only good SCP story on that god-forsaken site.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Xinder posted:

Here's a fun question: What is Santa Claus?

Samuel Haight.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Xinder posted:

ha, i forgot about this. yeah i can only imagine spending weeks walking along the ocean floor and getting so close to land only to hit the limits of your bloodless body and falling into torpor under a heavy piece of boat at the bottom of the ocean

If you have the vampire get discovered by a deep-sea diving team in modern day then you'd have a really fun, if silly character idea.

People keep thinking he's just a big dumb Jack Sparrow fan but no he's actually a fuckin' pirate from 1716 who hasn't quite clued in to modern day culture.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Xinder posted:

Had a good start to my Hunter game today. I overestimated the danger a lone werewolf poses to a pair of gun-toting ladies. I should have maybe gone with my original idea and had them fight two werewolves but I was afraid of killing a player in the first combat encounter of the game. Three bullets before it even gets to move. Dead.

Things will get harder on them from here on out.

Sounds like it's a great way to get the PCs overconfident in their abilities.

And as they say, overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

I remember there being some kinda balance thing with Geists but I have no recollection what it was.

iirc I think it had something to do with Boneyard Manifestation being broken as poo poo.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

iZombie has the feel of a WoD game being run with your friends where everyone is technically in-character but they're still making jokes every so often. Despite the zombie theme it's a pretty solid show and often feels like if someone saw Buffy and went "y'know, I bet I could un-gently caress this and make it better." I think season 3 just dropped on Netflix.

Also, The Void is a fantastic movie and is perfect one-shot material.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Kurieg posted:

It really depends on who's in charge of the Beast stuff now.

Ideally, whoever's in charge of Beast just chucks it in the trash where it belongs.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

I legitimately appreciate that every other game has it's reasons and need to exist, and vampires continue to just be a big fat leech that could be completely excised with no overall loss.

I'm currently reading through Demon and every blurb involving vampires is "wow look at these useless loving nerds trying to act important."

The total lack of respect that vampires have from other game lines is hilarious and I love it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Spector29 posted:

Am I understanding spirits correctly? (:20bux: says no)

They exist primarily in the Shadow, in which they run around and eat their Essence, fight other spirits and defend territory. Sometimes, especially if there's an Iris or a Locus, they cross over into Twlight to...do the same thing, but with marginally less spirits over here, and it's easier to hit humans with Numina?

If the rules say that Spirits suffer Essence bleed even if they're in the Shadow, why stay in the shadow at all? The only thing I can think of is that it costs one Essence a day to stay active over in Twilight, but isn't there also much more food over here?

Is the answer Werewolves?

The twilight is a less harsh place for spirits to reside in. Manifesting in the material realm is very taxing and they can't stay there for long thanks to the Gauntlet, but the twilight is a place they can hang around in for longer once they've crossed the barrier. That is, based on my readings of it anyway.

The Shadow is to the Black Lodge as the Twilight is to the Red Room. PCs are Agent Cooper: FBI Werewolf.

Edit: I see the Shadow and Spirits as being more a Werewolf and/or Mage thing, so if you don't want to include the hairy bikers or virgin nerds in your chronicle but want to use a spirit then they can hang around in the Twilight and harass the PCs that way.

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 28, 2017

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

http://onlysp.com/white-wolf-original-world-of-darkness/

quote:

When embarking on the effort to bring the World of Darkness back to video games, the IP owners were faced with the tough decision of which universe to focus their efforts on.

Originally established in 1991 with Vampire: The Masquerade, the original World of Darkness was supplanted in 2004 by a revised setting (now known as Chronicles of Darkness) with a streamlined rule system. However, after White Wolf was re-established as a self-operating company in 2015, it opted to concentrate on the classic setting and retain the latter for tabletop roleplaying.

Speaking to OnlySP recently, White Wolf’s Lead Storyteller Martin Ericsson explained this choice.

“This was the first, and possibly the hardest, creative decision we made,” he said. “Paradox [Interactive (owners of White Wolf)] had nothing to do with it. We took a long, hard look at two great settings and came to the conclusion that the original World of Darkness was the best fit for what we wanted to do. The original WoD is a chaotic and passionate place, full of crazy ideas and social commentary, and we prefer that to the more subdued, streamlined, sandbox elegance of the “new” WoD. Since having two worlds called “WoD” seemed like a very bad branding idea, we elected to go with the old WoD and keep the new WoD as “Chronicles of Darkness” and keep it as a tabletop roleplaying setting only.”

Bolded for :laffo:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Kurieg posted:

that's where the NOLA videos get posted.

I made the mistake of looking at the comments on the Q&A video and it's exactly as terrible as you can imagine.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Xinder posted:

Yeah, me too. For some reason I expected people to be critical of it. I was disappointed.

I was expecting the usual range of "hurrr SJWs how dare they ask questions" since nuWW has been attracting the terrible knuckle-draggers aspect of the fanbase since day 1. Just, not to the exclusion of any and all commentary about the future of the game line and what to expect.

On the positive side the video has less than 4k views so lol no one cares that much about oWoD coming back I guess.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Archonex posted:

Bloodlines 2: This Time it's Open World in the vein of a Skyrim style political/action/horror sandbox would basically be my dream game. Give it proper modding tools and i'm basically set for gaming for the next few decades.

No way in hell Paradox could pull it off though without like fifty expansions. CK2 and Stellaris are proof of that.

Nah man, Bloodlines 2: This Time it's Shadow of Mordor.

A nemesis-style system would go great with the Vampire setting.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Zereth posted:

I don't think Hunter: the Reckoning would really be a hit with the general public.

Maybe about 10 years ago that would've been the time for a "normal folks fighting monsters hiding in the shadows" bit but this is 2018. People don't want to fight the fishman, they want to gently caress him.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Times and people change, culture changes. And pretending that they didn't is actively harmful.

To the people that nuWW is targeting, times haven't changed. The audience that is really really into the awful dumb stupid garbage-rear end """edgy""" poo poo from 90's WW are basically stuck in that XTREME 90's counter-culture and haven't matured out of it (and probably never will). Much like Swedracula, they peaked in the 90's and have become, essentially, WoD grognards--unable to let go of that brief, glorious time when (in their mind) the World of Darkness was culturally relevant and was flipping the middle finger to the manD&D.

The question remains is if that audience is big enough to justify regressing back to the dumb 90's material full-force, in much the way that D&D did with 5e. Given the vocal reaction against the material so far I don't think that's the case, and nuWW is going to be pissing away money and talent on one man's vanity project and have little to show for it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Loomer posted:

I'd like to think we're more common but these days I doubt it.

Could be attrition. Why try and deal with the knuckle-draggers when they won't argue in good faith? It's usually much more healthy to just move on to something else. People get older, have responsibilities, and can't sit online all day making their case against a bunch of idiots.

Of course, the problem there is that the knuckle-draggers never shut up and so will just stay in their corner, making GBS threads in their hands and flinging poop at everyone, until they're forced out of every halfway-healthy community. Which as we're all aware, is no easy task. Theoretically it'd probably be easier in the WoD community compared to say D&D, in that people like you (and me!) who like the ridiculous 90's stuff but hate the problematic crap can just team up with nWoD fans and tell the greasy nutjobs to gently caress off, but in practice that isn't quite working out.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Mendrian posted:

nuWW cannot possibly hope to hit that kind of stride with the sort of material they've been writing unless they cater specifically to the altright.

Fair point. I don't think nuWW is self-aware enough to believe otherwise though, and they're gonna keep on truckin' and being an embarrassment until they either fail to deliver anything meaningful, or they do something so monumentally stupid that Paradox has to get involved.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Desiden posted:

How'd it work in 1e?

It didn't.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Wraith's endgame involved a Void Engineer dumping it into the Labyrinth.

But, why?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

So in essence this dickbag decided "hey let's see what happens when I throw a magic-infused M80 into this swirling mass of dead people."

Mages! No sense of right or wrong.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

NOT drop the apocalyptic M80 into the swirling mass of dead people?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I'd rather drop the turbofuck M80 onto something that deserves it. Like wherever the gently caress KotE came from.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

gtrmp posted:

Problem: The Demon Emperor Qin Shihuangdi has marshalled an endless army of the hungry dead, with the intent of conquering the Underworld and thus enslaving and/or devouring the souls of all who have ever died

Solution: Drop a spirit nuke on his capital with the intent of obliterating him and decapitating his imperial bureaucracy

Result: The Demon Emperor Qin Shihuangdi now has a spirit nuke, and is hellbent on striking back at the idiot mortal mages who deployed it

Whatever, I'll just drop another spirit nuke on him. He's only got what, two hands? Can't hold more than one spirit nuke I reckon. It'll be fiiiiiine.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Warthur posted:

Then again, I tend to regard Mage as the game where you all get around the table and have a debate about how it works, because it's the "Bargaining" spot on the oWoD Five Stages of Grief theme.

What would be the other four stages as game lines?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

you'd have to be incredibly stupid to not make the connection that your paradigm is incomplete as long as it doesn't explain what they're doing

I don't think you understand just how insanely stupid Mages are.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Ironslave posted:

I started a while back to rewrite Heroes as guys trapped between the real world and astral dreamworlds, and need to complete their "quest" to escape the discordant jumping-between bodies as they slept in either world. Issues would've arisen from the dreamworlds being more dangerous but so much more interesting, working from the idea of it as a metaphor for seeking refuge in escapism.

Sounds like A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors.

Which is a way more interesting and awesome idea than whatever Beast tries to be.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

So wait, where is Jesus's write-up in oWoD?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Eventually someone is gonna make CofD with the serial numbers filed off into a video game and Onyx Path might as well cash in.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Mendrian posted:

How is gravely man game? I was slightly turned off by the fact that it seems to have the ur-protagonist in it.

I wouldn't know, since I haven't played it, but most reviews paint it with the same praise and condemnation that Bloodlines had: interesting story, memorable NPCs, good interactions with said NPCs with lasting choices that have meaning, but a buggy system with a broken and boring combat system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Demon core book is also just a bit of a mess organizationally in general. I love the game to death and I don't know if there are really enough mechanical problems to justify sweeping changes in a second edition, but there are so many important details in it that are only mentioned conversationally in a huge block of text in a single instance in the whole book.

This is kind of my problem with WoD books in general. While I love reading the books, using it as an actual reference document is at best annoying and at worst a total nightmare. It makes me wish that there was some "rules-only" concise version that cuts out all the flowery bullshit (which would probably just be 50 pages at most of rules and then no one would want to sell it).