Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Comfortador posted:

With Amari Cooper, DeVante Parker, Kevin White, and Nelson Agholor of the board receiver wise I was going to pick up either Green-Beckham or Breshad Perriman in my rookie draft. Green-Beckham seems like the raw beast of talent going to a questionable team, versus Perriman who is good and going to a better fit for him.

Anyone who knows college players better than I have any opinions? Or maybe neither of those guys, the rest of the WR class is available too.

Perriman is a wr who is fast and can't catch the ball very well.

DGB has the tools to be a dominant wr but he got in trouble off the field in college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Zero RB strat last year was not viable. I did a bunch of mocks going for a Graham/Gronk or a DT/Peyton strat and kept getting Toby Gerhart and Bishop Sankey as RB1/2 and I wasn't comfortable with that

Zero rb strat was totally viable. There were plenty of serviceable running backs that could be had for a very low cost. Off the top of my head: Hill, Crowell, CJ Anderson, Forsett, Asiata, and Tre Mason could all be had for late round picks and were startable players throughout the year. If you kept up with injuries and the waiver wire there were also backs that you play for a few weeks like Bobby Rainey, Alfed Blue, and Lorenzo Taliaferro.

Drafting 'zero rb' or any other strategy doesn't mean your team will be good if you draft bad......which last year if your rb1/2 are Gerhart and Sankey then you done hosed up.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's basically 0RB in a nutshell. The whole point behind the strategy is to capitalize on the light level of turnover in the RB position. If you're drafting high upside WR sleepers after you already have Demaryius Thomas and Calvin Johnson then your strategy is not very optimal IMO.

I disagree with the last part. Taking a few high upside flyers after grabbing studs at that position is a fine move. The point of the draft is to maximize the value of your team, not to have the best week to week lineup. If you already have studs at wr but you feel like the best pick at your slot is a high upside wr....take them. If you hit you will be very rich at a position and you will have valuable assets to make a trade if you are weak elsewhere.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Its Miller Time posted:

Bell, JC, ADP and Forte go 1-4. I'm 5.

A. Brown?
Gronk?
OBJ?

(mfl10 rules)

Gronk

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Dandy Kaiser posted:

all that graph proves to me is that i now have visual evidence for my gently caress TEs crusade

Proves to me that I'll be drafting Gronk at every opportunity available.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

89 posted:

Show me the successful websites that snuffed out the smokescreens behind Ball, Patterson, Gerhart, and etc before the season started.

To this day I don't understand the hype behind Patterson last year. Every site was hyping him through the roof when he was completely reliant on YAC and long running plays to be fantasy relevant.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

I'll join after work if there's an opening. Trying to join from mobile was a pain.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

RisqueBarber posted:

Who would you guys take here (Red are players taken)? To me its between Blount and Boldin.

Allen Robinson for sure.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

No Agholor? Even with reports that Matthews is going to stay in the slot?

This only applies to 3 wr sets and is not a negative to Mathews value in any way.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Franks Happy Place posted:

I think his point was that Agholor has good upside as Chip's X receiver, not that Matthews has diminished value.

Hmm that would make more sense. I took it as Mathews being in the slot adds value to agholor, like he would get more targets or something.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Forever_Peace posted:

Levitan has an article up on overdrafted players and I found myself agreeing with nearly every single thing he says.

edit: nonetheless, Green/Jeffery/Hill/Miller. Make it so.

I don't think miller or obj are being drafted that high honestly. I probably won't own many shares but I don't think their adp is outrageous.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Forever_Peace posted:

OBJ going ahead of Dez and Julio is bananas. He is going to regress and I can't fathom taking him ahead of the 1/2 turn.

Dez and Julio should probably both be gone by pick 6 imo.

Regardless, obj could regress by 30% of his per game average last season and still put up wr1 numbers(unless wr numbers go up across the board)

Also you have to at least consider the possibility that he doesn't regress. While extremely unlikely, he could actually be one of the best wrs to ever play and put up a historically great season. Last year Antonio Browns tds were supposed to be unsustainable and would surely regress, instead he had a career high.

I wouldn't take him before dez, Julio, or brown....but a mid-late 1st seems fair to me. However I am extremely down on most of the first round rbs this year, so my draft board is very wr heavy at the top.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Its Miller Time posted:

Also, I'd love your guys take on which players are significantly helped/hurt by the best ball format. I thought about trying to do some "big game" math but gave up.

"Best ball format helps this players value" is the new "good play in a gpp". While you do want players who can have big weeks, the idea is so loosely thrown around to justify suboptimal picks that it begins to lose meaning,

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Teletubbies would probably be a fun show to watch while high.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

89 posted:

I ended up going with the 7th pick in a 10 man draft. The plan is for LeVeon to slip to me, if not, end up with DeMarco and go D.Thomas or Jordy with my 2nd pick (we have 3 WRs and 2 RBs, no flex). I figure if LeVeon doesn't slip to me, I go with DeMarco.

BUT....there's a part of me with the league I'm drafting with that makes me think LeVeon could slip to me in the 2nd...

Why do you believe the player who typically goes 1st overall will slip into the 2nd round?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

89 posted:

0RB? Like...drafting WR/WR and then going RB?

No, like loading up on wrs and maybe a tight end until rounds 5 or 6

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Bellmaker posted:

How high can you reasonably take Le'veon assuming he's missing three games in redraft? Three games without your RB1 seems like a lot.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Value based drafting is based on the idea that you can project players somewhat accurately. If you were able to do that consistently, fantasy football would be trivial and you probably would be working for an nfl team.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Prophecy120 posted:

As someone who is pretty dead-set on waiting as long as possible on QBs, can anyone talk me out of drafting Eli Manning or Ryan Tannehill? 4 point passing league.

You could wait even longer and get rivers, bridgewater, Bradford, or geno smith and probably get a similar point total

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

I'd keep kelce and Charles then try to trade Charles.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Sataere posted:

It doesn't matter his talent level if he is going to get the majority of looks in an offense with the best line in football.

His talent could very easily prevent him from getting the majority of the looks. Dallas could go out and sign a free agent any day that would compete for carries.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

You guys can take randle all day long. I simply cannot draft a player so reliant on his teammates to return value at his current adp, which looks like it will become even higher as we get closer to the season.

If everything goes well for him this year and Dallas has no critical injuries on offense for the 2nd year in a row, he should be a low rb1 or high end rb2. If his adp creeps up another round or 2nthen there's hardly any upside, best case scenario is he'll return value for you. Easy pass for me this year.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

McCoy is pretty sketchy, but with all of the older rbs going in the first few rounds I doubt he ends up being the biggest bust this year.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Doltos posted:

Yeah the first round ADP on yahoo right now are Charles, Peterson, Lacy, Lynch, Bell, Forte, Murray with Foster, McCoy, Hill and Anderson rounding out the second round. Out of those first rounders I'd only feel safe with Charles and Bell, feel really good with Murray/Forte/Lacy/McCoy, and would want to avoid age 30 one year off of football Peterson and Marshawn 'literally 350 carries every year and is bound to break down or have his TDs vultured soon sometime' Lynch.

I only feel safe with bell, lacy, Anderson, and hill. I don't think I could take any other rbs in the first 2 rounds.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Benne posted:

Marshawn Lynch hasn't missed a game in 4 years despite his absurd workloads. I don't know why fantasy people are so eager to write him off every August.

Running backs maintain roughly the same annual production until the year they do not. It is usually not a graceful fall, but rather a straight free fall.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Metapod posted:

I swear guys this is the year Josh Freeman breaks out plus you can get him at great value

This but geno smith

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Benne posted:

Don't Draft Any Browns

Duke Johnson

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Gyshall posted:

Also known as "upside down" drafting, nothing new - Rotoviz didn't invent it.
Upside down drafting and 0rb are not the same and I don't get why this gets repeated everywhere.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Gyshall posted:

What is different about the two? 0 RB you're still leaving your draft with Running Backs.

Upside down is based on the premise that you can extract value from the draft by drafting differently than your opponents...zig when they zag. If wr in the first round became the conventional thing to do, upside down drafting would dictate you drafting a rb early.

0rb is based around being anti-fragile. Elite wrs have shown to have less year to year variance and are less likely to be injured than elite rbs. Wrs are a safer position so you should draft them early when draft capital carries so much opportunity cost. Later round picks can bust without ruining your team so you wait to take rbs so your team is less susceptible to variance.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

When do ESPN leagues determine draft order? Upon league filling or a predetermined time before the draft?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Azhais posted:

Or it'll be like Blounts (12 team 1 qb) where multiple teams have 4+ qbs just to stop people having a backup

Excuse me, I have Ryan Mallet as a backup and Tim Tebow on speed dial :smug:

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Doltos posted:

I agree that Brown to the third round WRs is a bigger drop off, but where are you getting these outscored point totals for QBs? In Yahoo standard scoring, Luck outscored Manning 518.35 points to 464.95. Roethlisberger clocked in at 464.70 and Brees was at 436.50.

Nobody plays standard scoring these days.

Edit: The totals the other guy gave are from a 4pt passing td scoring system, which most people play with.

Papes fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 3, 2015

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Just wait till the 3rd to last round and draft mariota, Alex smith, or geno smith.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

I must be the only person who is low on Landry. Stills and Parker could likely be the top 2 wrs on the Dolphins. Even if they don't, I just see where the targets to make Landry a 'ppr God' will come from.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Amergin posted:

Personally I'd rank them Matthews > Hilton (slightly) > Benjamin > Evans (slightly).

Only reason I wouldn't take Hilton first is because of the addition of Johnson.

On what scoring system would you possibly take Benjamin over Evans? Points per drop?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Amergin posted:

Bucs' O-line and Winston throwing don't give me warm & fuzzies.

Evans historically good rookie season wasn't exactly aided by a good supporting cast.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Metapod posted:

Kelce because he is good while Randle is not

This and it's not close.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

How big are your balls? Kelce is safer but Randle will outright win you the league if he pans out.

I'd argue that kelce possesses more league winning potential than randle while being safer.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Remember when monte ball and Gerhart were locks to get 200+ carries and would produce on volume alone.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Remember when Monte Ball was a rookie getting coached by John Fox

No, because he wasn't a rookie last year.

He was just a sucky running back and when his coaches realized this he was phased out of the lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Cigar Aficionado posted:

So how is Odell Beckham going to be worth a late first round pick as a sophomore with a tiny sample size?

His 8 game sample size was historically great.

• Locked thread