Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rutibex posted:

I enjoy the way Project Ozone 2 handles this, by gating the most broken of all mods (Equivalent Exchange 2) behind massive Avaritia crafting recipes. This is the way to go, find the most broken and powerful mods out there and gate them behind massive resource sinks.

My problem with this approach (and why I + others came up with the idea of an infinite resource sink themed as buttcoin mining) is that if you just gate increasingly insane poo poo behind increasingly high resource sinks, you still eventually hit the point where you run out of things to sink resources into. When you can produce infinite power and resources, the only thing left to do is watch a number increase. And if you're going to just keep incrementing a number, why not have a public way to brag about it and show off how big your pretend buttcoin epeen is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rutibex posted:

Well, I mean at that point you build a sick doom castle with your infinite power, or you start a new save and try to do it again (but faster). I don't think you are going to be able to come up with a compelling eternal end game. It would just come down to who has the faster computer to generate more nether stars or whatever.

neogeo0823 posted:

And that's the problem, actually. Like, it's a fundamental problem with MC modding. All these mods are like "oh, we eventually make things easier and faster to get!" but they don't provide you with anything to actually do with those resources. Our server always has this problem and I'm sure all others at some point as well. Once you've built your sick doom castle, you've still got infinite resources and power. We're not even hoping to have something compelling for the end game, we just want some way of quantifying the fact that we've hit end game. Currently, it's just "welp, I can do all the things now. I guess I'll gently caress off to another server till this one resets.", and we're trying to help give people some sort of infinite objective to give them a reason to come around more often.

neo hits it on the head - we're looking for a way to people to sink their infinite resources and power into something that gives some sort of reward that has no tangible benefit beyond goodfeels and maybe getting the player to stick around awhile longer. A number that increments based off of power input that occasionally uses some of your infinite materials, to get you to stay on the server while you do whatever the gently caress else you feel like doing

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ah, thanks, got it to work.

Hopefully last question: what would the name of this item be? There's a bunch of "immersiveengineering:metal" items, but how would I specify this specific item?

It'll be immersiveengineering:metal:14 in your json.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 5, 2017

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Mzbundifund posted:

Have some sort of giant server objective with a goofy theme to it? Like we need to get X super expensive Sparklonium blocks and 1 Trillion RF to contribute to the Space War which reboots the server or whatever. Have a big leaderboard with the number of blocks each person has contributed?

That's kind of the idea behind a "lol, buttcoins" mod.

Buttcoin miner block takes, iunno, a couple metal blocks and some redstone to make. Pump power into it, receive "minecoin" aka your score on a leaderboard increments. As you pump power into the miner block, the chance it disappears in a puff of smoke increases.

Literally does nothing but convert power and resources into leaderboard score.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Nevets posted:

To make it somewhat more interesting you could make the energy accepting block incredibly expensive (octuple compressed cobblestone, nether stars, empowered diamantine blocks, ludicrite, etc.) and give diminishing returns the more power you dump into it. That would give players an incentive to build out both energy production & item production, maybe even come up with a method of automating crafting & placing them so their scores keep climbing even while logged off.

The nice thing about this idea is it's totally feasible even if the base block provided by the mod is super cheap. As long as it's craftable in the vanilla crafting table, it's possible to use MineTweaker to adjust the recipe to whatever you want.

CommunityEdition posted:

Ok, so suppose you’ve got this DE-reactor looking thing - big, flashy, impossible to miss - and it picks random things from a list or JEI. So like you have to feed it a thousand ardite tool rods, then 200 spent fuel rods, or whatever - randomized. And after each successful request, the thing changes color, or gets some greebles, or a particle effect, or whatever, and it asks for something different. If you’re feeling fancy maybe even allow a bit of customization so they don’t get an effect they hate, but the point being you get a big base centerpiece to show off, and you have to make a never-ending series of otherwise pointless automation systems to evolve it.

This is an awesome idea. Sounds like hell to code, but otherwise awesome.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

KingLemming posted:

Ultimately the substrates were entirely an inconvenience and limitation, which...that's not really what augments are supposed to be about.

A modder removing inconvenient limitations... :swoon:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Toadsmash posted:

I guess steel is my "OHHH I GET IT NOW!" moment for the Gregtech hate. I can't think of any other experience I've had in modded MC to date that was even slightly comparable to this where I got to the end of an hours-long grind for a multiblock, realized I was going to need stacks and stacks of a material from it that took 6 minutes per unit to produce, and realized my only way to speed it up is, "do that same grind you just did, over again, with no new fanciness to help make it faster whatsoever."

gently caress this mod forever.

gently caress GregTech forever. Amen. Balancing poo poo by tedium is lovely design and Greg is an rear end in a top hat.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Alas, this modpack is neither on any of the mainstream launchers nor the most recent version of Minecraft, but it does looks neat: https://www.atlauncher.com/pack/Homestead

quote:

Homestead is a quest-based hardcore survival pack. Highly inspired by TerraFirmaCraft, it offers a revamped tech tree and new game mechanics.

Focusing initially on wilderness survival, you will progress to mechanical energy for early automation and ultimately learn to harness electrical energy. Different tiers of metals are scattered through the world, and may require unique methods to obtain.

An optional quest book is provided to explain gameplay changes, and to nudge the player in the right direction if they're stuck.

Homestead offers unique mod interactions so the pack feels more cohesive, and less like a "kitchen sink". A custom nutrition system was also written to encourage dietary variety in a realistic setting.

This is a difficult pack, and experience with modded Minecraft is suggested. There are very few "magic blocks"; instead you are provided the tools to assemble and automate your own creations.

Homestead was designed to work as a base for new survival-focused packs. It remains compatible with much of the existing mod ecosystem, and dropping in new mods should work without requiring configuration. Of course, this will affect game balance.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

hamachi also works for making makeshift fake LANs over the internet

Ew, Minecraft servers over Hamachi. That brings back memories of so many server ads on the Technic forums..."Only up when I am so usually from $time to $othertime but idk lol"

Just pay the $3 or so for a small personal server instead.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

FredMSloniker posted:

Er, I misspoke. I was looking for a modpack, not just a mod. Something with quests, because I like reaching for a goal rather than just creating to create.

I have been really digging Homestead as of late: https://www.atlauncher.com/pack/Homestead

TL;DR is a survival-focused sandbox that strikes the right balance of sperg (torches that you have to relight, for example) and fun gameplay (not mashing your dick with a hammer). 1.10.2, alas, but it is really elegantly designed to let you do poo poo at your own pace without the goal of automating automation for its own sake.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

FredMSloniker posted:

What's so bad about that? Just that not a lot of other mods are using that version, or...?

No terracotta. Honestly, 1.10 is a nice solid release, it's just not popular anymore and there are updated versions of the mods in Homestead with new and cool stuff, that haven't been backported to 1.10

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rutibex posted:

Tekkit is the multiplayer version of the Technic Pack. Which is why its performance sucks!

Or maybe it's performance sucks because Java, notchcode, and you have a potato.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I never played this, but if it was anything like terrafirmacraft, you just straight up had to collect enough food to last the winter, because there was nothing available other than hunting game.

Bugs, specifically cooked termites, are an amazing and renewable early food supply. Wheat is mega slow but carrots or Pam's veggies grow pretty quick, as do vanilla beets.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rutibex posted:

If this is a "realism" mod those carrots and other vegetables will rot quickly. Wheat grains preserve forever, much better for winter.

OgNar posted:

It doesnt have the rotting part of TFC in it, I did figure out later that Pams crops are not affected by winter or freezing. But seeds can only be found by breaking grass. No Pams food clusters and crops cannot be turned into seeds.

Its a decent 1.10 hardcore modpack over all for someone like me who hates anything with a gregtech like level of complication.

I have been drifting between Homestead and DW1.12.

I've gotten to the point where I can make Soulforged Steel but holy gently caress it's a labor-intensive, highly manual process. Place clay block on turntable and spin it down to an urn, run a bunch of ground netherrack through a soulsand filter hopper, cook end stone block-by-block down into ender slag, cook the slag into soul flux, then combine coal dust, steel, soul urn, and soul flux in a crucible to make one (1) soulforged steel ingot.

I need to figure out a way to automate this poo poo.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Okay I should qualify maybe more like "came to its own possibly in 1.7.10 and kept up past that to the point it shows up in many modpacks." It could have even been around in 1.6.8 in some obscure or unknown form.

To show my hand, I'm figuring out what I should have for a BFSR 1.12 modlist. Nobody get excited because I have been pecking at this forever, but I'm glad to see Galacticraft move up. Now I can at least make a fairly uniform migration.

I got nowhere with Embers; I just had to deal with a bunch of golems when I tried Modern Skyblock and that's about as far as it got. I really don't know what that pack even does. It also appears to have a "no longer maintained" thing up on Curseforge.

Did the Astral Sorcery dude unbutthurt themselves of Thaumcraft and decide to continue to support it?

Immersive Engineering is another one that might have been around for awhile but I didn't really hear about it until post-1.7.10. I see the complaints about it but it appears to be a regular intermediate step throw into other progression-based challenge packs.

I intend to add in Botania because I kind of missed it the first time around. Pam's Harvestcraft is going in since a lot of packs put in a hunger mod. I'm thinking of adding one that is only toggled on for the player after a certain point in a quest book about food. I don't know if that's possible. Finally, the Prefab mod is the perfect thing for a tutorial pack to just set down a pretty little place and get straight to it.

I'm fine with that. However, going post-scarcity within 3 hours is hardly a trait of just one pack. I think it was fairly typical in the past with Mekanism to hit the digital miner in two hours if you have a deadline.

I really like doing the Pam's + CFB + FFB + Nutrition wombocombo. Nutrition is basically the opposite of Spice of Life - it encourages you to maintain a varied diet, and rewards you with up to 10 extra hearts if you do so.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is "CFB" Cooking for Blockheads and "FFB" Farming for Blockheads?

Yes.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I'm looking into mods for the next iteration of DPT and I'm currently on the hunt for one that lets me adjust the length of days and nights so there's more daytime to explore in. I've found both Stellar Skies and Extended Days already, neither of which play nice with the other mods currently slated for the pack. Stellar Skies conflicts hard with the custom sky in The Betweenlands without some config tweaking I haven't quite wrapped my head around, whilst Extended Days is semi-hacky by nature and fails to play well with Blood Moon.

There's another one for 1.12.2 called "Longer Days" which I've looked at, but it completely lacks any configuration and just makes days/nights 3x longer by pausing the daylight cycle at noo and midnight.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Immersive Engineering does, indeed, have turrets. Bullet and flamethrower turrets. Be careful with the latter, though -- they can inflict some pretty serious friendly fire. They do shred endermen though.

Both kinds of turrets have IFF which by default doesn't target the player. Just don't get between the turret and whatever it's shooting at.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

So I am hitting my head against a wall here - I'm playing on a small server and testing out OTG's dimension handling. Every time I teleport myself from the Void dimension, which has an ID of 12, back to the Overworld, the game crashes with a ticking world exception and the blockIDs in the save get corrupted, becoming another block entirely. Does anyone have a drat clue why this is happening?

Crashlog: https://ghostbin.com/paste/49zm8

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does anybody know what's going on with that MFR port that apparently is waiting for Skyboy's approval?

It's dead and gay, use Industrial Foregoing instead.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there a 1.12.2 terrain gen mod that does some cool stuff without putting an up-to-date processor straight on its rear end?

Also, are nether fortresses super duper rare now or did I get bad luck?

Open Terrain Generator is cool and pretty lightweight.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

TheDon01 posted:

I really want to like SevTech Ages, the progression is really nice and I like the search for things but I really do hate Primal Tech so far and can't wait to get out of this age. There doesn't seem to be any documentation for this mod anywhere that I can find except for the vague tooltips.

Going by the mod's description, that's intended and it's now a mod I'll stay far, far away from.

Refusing to document how your poo poo works for the sake of ~~muh vision~~ is asinine.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

CurseTwitch has a few major benefits over the Technic launcher. First and foremost is easy, lazy differential updates. Technic may have done it first with Solder, but Solder's a giant pain in the rear end to set up and run, while CurseTwitch is easy. The other major benefit is that it doesn't nuke your options or mods you install on top of the pack when you do an update, unlike non-Solder packs on Technic.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

redleader posted:

Age of Engineering, very early game impressions: only being able to smelt ore using a Tinker's smeltery is annoying. I hate having such a dependency on lava for basic metal processing. It doesn't help that the recipe has been changed so that you only get 1 ingot per ore!

I'm gonna need a (relative) shitload of iron to get IC2 macerating and plate forming up, so I don't waste too many more ores. I hate smelting ores when double ingot production feels so close.

I hear this is an "expert" modpack. What makes it expert? Sheer cost of recipes? Mod gating?

Pure, unadulterated sperg = "expert" modpack. It's an outgrowth of the "tedious bullshit = balance!" school of thought.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

redleader posted:

Jeez, that dude's absolutely pumping skyblock packs out.

Dunno how he does it. I'm burning out hard just working on a single pack with some custom configurations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It's easy enough to poo poo out a bunch of configs and stuff. It's another thing to, like, playtest it and make sure it all works together.

You say that, but I have 600+ lines of itemNames which say otherwise...

Though yes, proper playtesting and integration is difficult, but that's actually more fun than grinding out configs.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Most of the design space behind skyblocks, and specifically MSB3, seems to be that grinding stuff is balanced/fun by virtue of being tedious and/or repetitive.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SugarAddict posted:

Thaumcraft is dead. It would have to be centered around something other than Thaumcraft, but thaumcraft is the only mod that I know of that has "the taint" and the mechanics behind it.

au contraire, thaumcraft 6 for 1.10.2 exists.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Text guides, with diagrams and screenshots, are superior in every way to video guides.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

absolutely

gifs at most

You mean WEBMs, since those can be paused and still loop.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

it still baffles me that there is a quest in sevtech to turn off step assist

Step Assist Auto Jump is the worst thing. Why couldn't Mojang have implemented it the way Thaumcraft did with the Boots of the Traveller?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Syndlig posted:

so I've been working on updating an old farming/cooking mod I used for 1.12.2, and I've run into an issue that doesn't seem like anyone else has had or tried to get an answer to - is there a way to use the JSON recipes to have recipes with dynamic input and output? specifically, I want to be able to input any mod-introduced crop and the recipe output its seed. Eventually the goal would be for output food to be named based on its ingredients, but that's way down the road. Right now I'm handling it programmatically like this:
code:
	public Veggie(final String name, final ItemVeggieRaw raw, final ItemVeggieSeed seed, final BlockVeggieCrop crop, final BlockVeggieWild wild) {
		this.name = name;
		this.raw = raw;
		this.seed = seed;
		this.crop = crop;
		this.wild = wild;

this.crop.setDrops(raw, seed);
		this.wild.setDrops(raw, seed);
		vegMap.put(name, this);

GameRegistry.addShapelessRecipe(new ItemStack(seed, 2), new Ingredient(raw)); // TODO fix this
	}
it works, but I'm worried they're gonna get rid of addShapelessRecipe() down the road and make me have individual recipes for each item, and like hell am I doing that. i'd love to just have a single JSON recipe that just grabs the input and output from a factory or something but I'm not very well-versed in factories so I've kinda muddled at it and not gotten very far.

I would use CraftTweaker for this instead of whatever JSON based recipe thing you're using. Check out the documentation - it supports proper scripting so you should be able to do the thing you want to do.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

other ideas:

osmium can only be made in the alloy kiln (though this is available really early)

make all the foundational mekanism machines require plates or gears (JAOPCA) that you can only make in the IE metal press (requires steel, power, so medium progress)

edit: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/jaopca

I like the Alloy Kiln as a low-efficiency option for those who, for whatever reason, don't want to go through the tech progression. For example, making 1 Quartz-Enriched Iron per 1 Iron and Quartz, while going whole hog with the Arc Furnace gets you an 8:1 return.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

yeah my progress in exoria has pretty much stopped completely because holy poo poo futurepack is unintelligible

Speaking from experience, Futurepack is hot garbage much like Abyssalcraft, Guardians of Gaia, Infernal Mobs, etc. - a relatively interesting pitch followed by piss-poor execution.

On the same tangent as Vib Rib, Thaumcraft 6 is pretty great and the Betweenlands' herblore is rad as well.

Speaking of Creosote Oil - why not just burn it in a compression dynamo? Dual benefits of using up a waste product and generating power.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

dynamos are kind of tricky to make early on in exoria; they require the use of buildcraft lasers, access to nickel from a midgame portal, and a carpenter full of an uncraftable liquid that spawns in pools around the world

i've got a bunch of them running off Immersive Petroleum gasoline, but that's really energy dense. the fewer you have to build, the better

That sounds like a tedious pile of bullshit, yikes.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, by the time you get access to dynamos, you've more or less moved past the period when you NEED coal coke for anything. It's handy for steel production, but you can also use the infinite amount of charcoal that comes from the Forestry charcoal pits for the task.

Also, while oil power is nice, it's not nearly as good as the turbine/alternator and boiler augment dynamo combo-wombo. You can run nearly five 25k RF/t combos off of a single boiler augment steam dynamo being fed by a functionally infinite amount of burnium blocks.

My point was not that you should only have Creosote Oil power, but that using it up to make power is more beneficial than just voiding it away. Obviously you can use an array of compression dynamos turning excess Creosote Oil into power alongside your wombocombo steam turbines.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Don't bother with magneticraft power at all. I ran my entire base on two eight-sail windmills until I got the immersive tech stack going. You don't need its snowflake power for anything and IE wiring is superior -- you can punch it through walls with the feedback insulator, which means you can power things that need to be indoors no problem.

I didn't even make magneticraft's powered furnace. The quest is still sitting there waiting to be completed.

How exactly does the feedback insulator work?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Get two wire connectors (not relays) of the same voltage and put them on opposite horizontal ends of a solid block. Bop one of them with the engineer's hammer and it'll turn into a (tiny) multiblock. Now you can hook wires up to both ends and it'll punch the wire through the wall while maintaining a solid block. Perfect for all those fiddly machines that need to be in a closed room with 437 Infinite Intermediate Product Blocks or whatever.

See, I saw the part where it shows how to set up the connectors in the manual, but it makes no mention of bopping the wires with a hammer.

Super Jay Mann posted:

I love progress being ground to a screeching halt as I wait for bees to die over and over and over and over again.

Wait what? Since when was this a thing? The only reason I really bothered with magneticraft power (ended up making 12 thermopiles with basaltic magma and snow surrounding them, the combination of which somehow prevents any melting/cooling business on either. It actually works quite well tbh although it was quite expensive to get it going) is because Magneticraft wiring doesn't require any line-of-sight shenanigans like IE wiring does. This changes everything.

It's been possible since the update to 1.12.2, I think.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Any tips on cleaning flux in thaumcraft 6? I am generating a worring amount.

Flux in TC6 is self-cleaning - it'll stack until it makes a rift which spooges out Taint creatures until the Flux level is back within sanity.

This has the benefit of making it a lot harder to cover the world in Taint.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Mr Scumbag posted:

Looking to jump back in and want to do so with a 1.12 pack with a high number of mods and good tech/automation with as many of the old core mods as possible. What is the best pack these days that accommodates this? Most important is at least one good storage, good transport, good dimension, and good magic mod.

You could also check out Disasterpiece Theater if you'd like to play with goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

McFrugal posted:

Note: they have to be unwired for the hammer to work.

They also will not work on Chisel blocks or Chisel&Bits blocks.

I tried both and was sad.