Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

The Sharmat posted:

That's pretty cool. I didn't see any on my first playthrough but do you know if you guys snuck in any instances where Axii just doesn't work and Geralt gets screwed for it like in TW2 with Shilard Fitz-Oesterlen or the Golem?

There are a bunch where it works on one person and then the crowd all around them goes 'wait, what? witchcraft!' and turns hostile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
O'Dimm is definitely intentional, since he tells you his name and that he's Master Mirror or the Man of Glass and has exactly the same personality as he does in Hearts of Stone. Even foreshadows meeting Geralt again.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

It's a little inconsistant, though, there are places where Geralt can axii whole groups, but other times he can't. I think it more or less corresponds to how difficult the axii check is, but I bet it's still not consistent.

Yeah that's true. I hadn't noticed any particular correspondence to the level of difficulty - I can think of some that fail at level 1 and level 2/3 (at least one in White Orchard, a couple in Novigrad) - but you may be right there. I mean, you're the developer.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
You won't be at Kaer Morhen for quite some time. If you want the wolf school gear then you're basically going to get it and immediately upgrade to the Enhanced version of it because of the level you're at.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Arcsquad12 posted:

How did dice get so much worse from Witcher 1 to Witcher 2? Oh right, because the weird angle of the board you played at on W2 and the physics of the Dice meaning you could easily throw them off the table.

Also Witcher 2 no longer actually told you what your 'hand' was - two pair, or three of a kind, or whatever. You just had to know it yourself, which was less reliable, obviously.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

WrightOfWay posted:

The Scoia'tel and Monster decks don't have any spies so they can't really compete. Personally I think Northern Realms is stronger because it has much better Bond cards so even if Nilfgaard has slightly better ways to gain card advantage, Northern Realms can do a lot more with theirs and still has pretty good card draw (3 spies and a medic versus Nilfgaard's 3 spies and 3 medics.)

I mostly used Scoia'tael on my second playthrough and I found it significantly more reliable than the decks which rely on spies. It doesn't go in for the spectacular victories but it's a lot more solid than Northern Realms or Nilfgaard, which can both completely screw you over if you don't draw any of your spies/medics.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

dyzzy posted:

Just to be clear here I am talking about the physical Gwent sets they have out at PAX. There are plenty of spy units in the Witcher 3 but not in this box.

The PAX sets are the Scoia'tael/Monsters decks they produced for the Hearts of Stone expansion. Northern Realms and Nilfgaard decks were made available in limited editions when the game was first released. The decks are all intended to work together, and there's your answer.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

dyzzy posted:

OK cool, thanks!

E: I think I would still play a poo poo ton of spies against monsters, haha

Yeah considering the usual anti-Monsters tactic is to use the cold weather cards to gently caress over their strength, it's not a huge deal. Oh wow those spies are 2 strength now, definitely going to lose!

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

artichoke posted:

Ok, what's up with that abandoned site northwest of Novigrad? It's a lighthouse on an island that if you keep walking north of it, you hit the end of the map. It's guarded by enemies with ?? as their level in red.

?? just means they're far higher than you in level. That's an area that got added with the Hearts of Stone expansion so you're expected to be over level 30 for it.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I tried twice back in the day to get into Witcher 1, having bought it more or less on release. I think I put about 15 hours into each attempt, one of which was after the Enhanced Edition, and in both attempts I gave up in the swamp in Chapter 2. The writing, voice acting, gameplay, quest design is all just... not very good, I think. I love Witcher 2 though, and I think it preps you sufficiently for Witcher 3 without playing through the first one. Yeah, there'll be a couple of characters in Witcher 3 who you're meeting for the first time if you haven't played Witcher 1, but the same goes for if you haven't read the books. I think it does a fine job of feeling like a pre-existing world and setting but also making it accessible to new people.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm at the point in The Witcher 1 where Alvin gets kidnapped and that idiot, Dandelion, leads Geralt to the menacing back-alley hideout where he was taken. In the brief cutscene that transpires between Geralt and Dandelion (where Dandelion basically says, "here we are, this is where they take the little boys" and Geralt tells him to stay put) you can see a dead-eyed Zoltan walk up to the door and begin to enter it.

I knew you couldn't be trusted, you drat dirty dwarf.

I'm loving your posts about this bad old Witcher game, please keep it up.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Megazver posted:

A) It will warn you in the one instance you can do this b) you are very, very far away from that.

There is at least one other quest I can think of that fails a couple of sidequests if you haven't done them and doesn't give you warning for it, but that's for when you've finished up all the leads in Velen, Novigrad, and Skellige, so is still a ways off anyway.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Sorry. It's not really a spoiler though. There's books talking about them being elves available as soon as you leave white orchard.

Yeah it's also something Geralt knows for sure since the end of Witcher 2 at least.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This is my first exposure to the franchise.

Aye, just reassuring you that it's not a spoiler! Your impressions are a lot of fun to read as you go on.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Pick up the 'fast travel from anywhere' mod. It'll make Novigrad a lot more enjoyable.
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/324/

Just make sure you're outside of any quest specific area. There's one where you'll be fighting to get into someone's house in Oxenfurt in the Novigrad main quest, make sure you leave the house and courtyard completely before fast travelling.

It's dodgy to use in general, because a lot of quests and even non-quest-related scripted events are tied to entering/leaving specific areas.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

StoneOfShame posted:

Except (B&W spoiler) if you got aerondight in Witcher 1 you dont have to complete five quests to get it in B&W you just fight the hermit and then the Lady of the Lake tells you not to lose it this time.

This has nothing to do with a Witcher 1 save, it happens anyway. The 'proving virtues' stuff applies to quests you do in Toussaint only, and it's things like giving a tip to the delivery boy proves charity or whatever. If you take your time visiting the hermit then you're likely to have proved all the virtues already.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

StoneOfShame posted:

I'm pretty sure I hadn't done most of the virtue quests and I read on the wiki it carries over.

I never played Witcher 1 and got the same dialogue ("Don't lose it this time") and an instant completion even though I'd only done a few sidequests before heading there.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ok so I just bought the DLC thinking I'm far enough in the game to do them

Turns out I just got to Skellige. HOW. I'm dozens of hours in

I did do pretty much every sidequest I could before I went over though

The main game is like 80 hours long if you're even vaguely completionist about doing sidequests (not counting all the treasure hunts etc).

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Regy Rusty posted:

Run as far away as possible. You can fairly easily roll out of the way but only if you have plenty of time to see it coming.

Rolling is definitely the way to go, and you need to roll quite late in the attack - there's a big build-up before it's actually going to hurt you.

The good news is that stage 3 is super easy.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

WontGetFooledAgain posted:

I'm only at the Brothers in Arms quests, but can I just start the BaW DLC just to unlock the Mutations? I would try to skip as much of the other DLC content as possible. I'm using enemy scaling so the combat isn't a problem.

I won't be missing out on any good story stuff will I?

Enemy scaling only goes up, not down, so you'd need to play a decent chunk of comparatively high-level content to get to the mutations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Lareine posted:

Painting merchant? Where? The only one I found was an artist that wanted to paint Geralt.

More accurately it adds paintings to the inventory of a merchant already in the game. The high-class-goods vendor near Lafargue, the grandmaster armourer.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Inspector Gesicht posted:

All right so I know that the developer's patched the prologue so that you can't miss out on a certain Gwent card reward, but beyond that what are most easily-missable card,s because the other player disappears or because they refuse to play card games as the apocalypse is happening?

The ones at the Vegelbud estate ball are probably up there with the Most Missable.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Has anyone else noticed that since the release of Blood & Wine, you no longer get subtitled 'foreign' language stuff when you have general subtitles off? Elvish, Nilfgaardian and so on. Used to be you'd get the subtitles for those bits regardless; now you need to have all subtitles on to see them.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does shani's card count towards collect them all?

It only counts base-game cards.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Arglebargle III posted:

Where's my Odrin card?

Try shouting "Ooooodriiiiin! Heeeere booooy!" for a few hours and see if it turns up.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

WoodrowSkillson posted:

How big are the other schools? It's not like people are shocked when they see a Witcher, just distrustful. I did not read the books, but what I have always inferred is the school of the Wolf is dead but the other schools are still doing just fine as they are in places that operate similar to how the Wolf school did before the pogrom.

I think it varies - the Cat School is meant to be all but gone, I think, after it was discovered they were hiring themselves out as assassins and they then got dismantled. One of the motivations for Letho to be an agent of Nilfgaard was a promise to re-establish the School of the Viper so it's presumably not operating any more either.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

poor life choice posted:

Thanks!

Is Delusion (Axii skill tree) worth it? Typically I'm a fan of max rank in persuade or whatever the analogous skill is in RPGs, but with limited active slots I wasn't sure if it was a slam dunk. Having said that, it kind of trivialized some random gently caress-off bear and a wraith in the basement of a church in the starting area, so it might be worth it just for the 1v1 combat angle.

Should I buy every potion/oil/decoction/crafting formula a merchant has available?

Delusion is definitely worthwhile. Don't worry too much about formulae - you'll find a bunch of them just in the course of your exploration/questing. Occasionally you may have to buy alchemical formulae but definitely don't bother with standard crafting diagrams, they're not worth it at all.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Pellisworth posted:

hi friends don't forget that wolves will gently caress YOU UP

especially with level scaling enabled

Wild dog packs with level scaling on death march are the hardest enemies I've fought in the game. I had to turn level scaling off again to make it even vaguely workable when I ran into a pack of about 10 in Velen.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

JetsGuy posted:

No, it taunts you forever as incomplete. Fortunately, there's not too too many that are missable. The Baron is a big one a lot of people miss. I think Roche too. Lambert you have to get a card from as well, and I think it has to be when you meet him in the pub after/during his quest.

:laugh:

They patched this when Blood & Wine arrived - now the Collect 'Em All quest will fail if you miss a card.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Omi no Kami posted:

Okay, really dumb question; in Velen, if you open the world map and look in the lower-left hand corner, you have the Byways fast travel point, then north about 300m and a little to the east there are three question marks in a very tight triangle. One of them is a noonwraith guarding a hidden treasure, but it looks like the other two are underground somewhere; how the heck do I reach them, is there a cave I'm not seeing nearby?

They're involved in a level 5 main quest.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Omi no Kami posted:

Ack, I really didn't want to go back to that place... at least I know exactly where it is, thanks! :)

It's probably the place of power and guarded treasure at the very end of the dungeon - on the same branch-off where you went to get the magic lamp. You must have turned back instead of following the passages to the end during that bit.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
You shouldn't ever be fighting 'skull' enemies, that means they're so far above your level that you need to get away. This also applies to guards, you're not really meant to be going on a crime spree.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Arglebargle III posted:

Let's play sperg eye for the Witcher guy:

This is the choice with which I am faced.

I'd use Aerondight just because it's much cooler and it stays competitive, damage-wise.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Xander77 posted:

Next to the Ransacked village, there’s are a bunch of drowners on the beach. If you jump down to fight them, and follow the beach line ahead, you’ll find that some genius designed the shore line so that you’re blocked off from climbing up it. You’ll have a fruitful expedition to the edge of the map, and then will be forced to backtrack back to the drowner spawn. Fuuuuuuuuun.

There's actually a spot where you can climb up, just to the left of where the guarded treasure is. Either on the right of that screenshot or in that general area. Not far away from the bridge anyway iirc.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Xander77 posted:

Am I missing the point / purpose of spies in Gwent? What are they good for?

They let you draw more cards.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Drunk in Space posted:

If she became a witcher and stayed with Geralt at Kaer Morhen, I dunno . . . that would be a nice ending obviously, but it's too 'easy,' for lack of a better word. (Then again, I'm also wondering: can't I just fast-travel to Vizima to see her whenever I want? Hell, I'll even still have the same potion buffs going since the last time I saw her :cheeky:)[/spoiler]

It's not quite as straightforward an ending as that.

Ciri and Geralt travel together as a witcher team for a while then she strikes out on her own, solo. It's still quite bittersweet and involves a goodbye.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Larrymer posted:

How far along % wise am I through the main story? Finished the baron stuff, have to go to Novigrad to see if Ciri is there. I've been doing a ton of side quests and contracts so I don't outlevel them and am only level 11. I hear people talking about being in the 40's and such so it feels like I'm only scraping the surface.

You are indeed only scraping the surface. Maybe 20% of the way through the main game alone (counting sidequests too), to say nothing of the expansions.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Marzzle posted:

I never got a special entry but I read the plague maiden stuff and there's no mention of all that. I killed the ghost tree thing so I guess the moral is just never trust ghosts. Dopplers, succubi and some rock trolls are cool though.

It's a character entry for Annabelle, not the entry for the plague maiden.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Originally he showed up on Velen searching for a cure to a plague ravaging the south, including Mahakam. Geralt has to team up with Iorveth, and Roche, Ves, and Thaler for very complicated reasons to try and get this cure. The whole plague plotline mostly got cut, though there's some elements of it drifting around in places, like the guy with the corpse wagon who claims he's immune. The quest where you have to get Ves out of the fight with the Nilfgaardians was also part of this plotline, though in a substantially different form (I think the cuts and rewrites really hurt her character, sadly. )

In the version of her quest that I liked best, she's pissed off because the village of Poppystone helped the Partisans escape Velen, but the Nilfs found out about it and are going to execute some people. Ves asks Geralt to help her liberate them behind Roche's back. Ves and Geralt go, save some folks and kill some Nilfgaardians, they have a really nice scene together where they talk about constellations and elven mythology, then go back to the camp and Roche throws a hissyfit because he's secretly got a deal with the Nilfgaardians.

I'm really sad that this got cut. That sounds great and lays more groundwork for the Reason Of State resolution too - which, as it stands, comes out of nowhere a bit. Man. Uh... any chance of an Enhanced Edition next year?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

monster on a stick posted:

I think I'm approaching the end of Act 1, just unlocked The Last Wish and Ugly Baby, what sidequests are must-do or they will expire? The plot ones I have look like working with the ex-spymaster to take down Radovid, and rescuing the Jarl's son and daughter, plus who knows what else. Also five billion underwater question marks in the ocean off Skellig.

Definitely do the ones you've mentioned there (not the question marks though). Also if you haven't done Following The Thread, you should do that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There is the quest Flesh for Sale in the bottom-right Skellige Isle that gets cancelled if you progress in the above mission first.

I've done two full playthroughs of the game and am working through a third and I had no idea this quest existed.