Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

RatHat posted:

I wonder what happens in the PC version if you import a save and then answer the opposite of what you did during the part that allows you to choose your past.

That part is optional, I believe. I would therefore assume that loading a save would just automatically skip that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

I can't play it on PS4 because of this loving outage. :(

EDIT: Never mind, a reset fixed it. YAY!

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 19, 2015

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

JESUS loving CHRIST the facial expressions in this are INSANE.

I haven't even gotten past the tutorial yet and I had to stop playing to tell people how well done the animations and faces are in this. Yennefer does this quick little eyebrow raise, Vesemir has this perfect stern expression (And they got back the VA from Witcher 1 for him!), and young Ciri does this laugh that's the single best piece of facial animation in a game since Ellie's "pffff"

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

TomVanDam posted:

Anyone here buy it digitally for ps4? It said its ready to play but now it directs me to the store to buy it again. I'm hoping the servers are just getting slammed and I'll try again in the morning :(

Try restarting your PS4.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Jesus, every little quest has like cinematography and everything. Instead of Bioware static Camera A/Camera B conversations, you get pan shots to show important areas. This game is special. Feels like I'm playing a goddamn movie.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

For everyone's information, the part where you fill in what happens in Witcher 2 occurs after the initial prologue. In other words, don't worry, you haven't missed it, it just doesn't come up until after you're out of the first open area.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Wait, you can haggle?! When was the tutorial?! :psyduck:

It came up for me when I was talking to the guy about the well quest. There was a dialogue option to ask about my price, and selecting that brought me to the haggle menu and gave me the tutorial. I'm sure there'll be other opportunities down the line.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Abu Dave posted:

Game controls like dogshit but it's fun so far. Combat is a bit bleh, do you really never get anything other than 2 swords? Lame.

looks good on PS4 tho

You get magic spells, throwable explosives, upgradeable swords, and a crossbow.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

UraniumFuelElement posted:

So does all food regenerate the same amount of vitality total? The only difference that's listed is the duration, so are all food items with a 5s duration equally good?

Yeah, the way I understand it is food heals at a set rate, the only difference is how long that rate goes for.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

EightBit posted:

He's getting old and brittle?

One of the side effects of essentially drinking poison his whole life is rapid onset arthritis, apparently.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Pigbottom posted:

How often do you guys see rain ingame? I´m just done with white orchard at about 5 and a half hours of play and haven´t seen rain yet. I´m either bugged or very unlucky.

I had a light sprinkling in my game so far. I was more impressed with the wind storm that occurred, though. No rain, but the skies got ominous, and the wind was blowing so hard I could hear trees groaning from the strain.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

Still doesn't mean he's Dandelion. :colbert:

(i'm losing this argument)

If you look up Dandelion's entry in the glossary, it's very obviously written by Dandelion, just like it was previously.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Aesis posted:

I put a thick makeup on when I'm hunting foul beasts. Oh and they run down thanks to all the sweat and water.

Maybe she's born with it.

Maybe it's celandine.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Also as a fan of the books, I laughed out loud when the first piece of instruction Geralt gives to Ciri during training is "Pirouette".

I swear, learning how to pirouette in the Witcher universe makes you a completely unstoppable badass.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

redreader posted:

Question about witcher 2: I am like level 5 and I've spent some points on vitality upgrades but I'm saving like 2 or 3 points for other paths, which are locked. Are they unlocked soon? I'm exploring the forest outside flotsam, and have yet to kill the not-kraken.

They unlock at level 7.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

CrusherEAGLE posted:

At the end of the griffin quest, I turned down the money instead of taking it. Does this impact anything at all later? Or did I just make a dumb decision?

You get a gem instead of money. Of course, by being told that, I've just ruined the illusion for you. The point is, you get to choose how Geralt reacts to the world around him and have to live with those consequences.In this case, the consequence is Geralt either chooses pride over money, or money over pride.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Kimmalah posted:

Nonsense, I must have the most profitable and efficient outcome at all times!

Based on the series, this means you're probably going to get a lot of innocent people killed in very horrible ways. But hey, your call!

Just remember to follow the Witcher's Code.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

RangerScum posted:

So I am not entirely certain with how choosing skills works when leveling up.

Do you only get the benefit from skills that you choose if they are equipped over on the area where you can chain them with Mutagens? Or is the area over there ONLY for getting mutagen bonuses, and every skill point you spend is always going to apply to your character.

I'm thinking the latter must be how it works, because otherwise by the end of the game you are limited to only 12 different skill bonus choices which would be extremely limiting.

You need to have the ability "equipped" in order to use it, yes. If it's not in that section over there, it doesn't count. And yes, you'll be limited, but you can always both respec all your spent ability points, as well as pick and choose what abilities you have ready at the moment. About to fight a monster weak to spells? Time to pop some potions and ready your skills for spells. Stuff like that.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

About an hour in to the game. Having not playing Witcher 1 or 2, should I know what the hell the Wild Hunt is, or who Yennefer and Trish actually are?

Also how much time passed between the prologue and the present, I always mess up dates :(

You can put it together pretty quickly, considering the Wild Hunt was only in the background for 1 and 2, and Witcher 3 is the first time we've ever seen Yennefer in the games. There's also a glossary in the game you can use to look things up, as well.

Also, the prologue never happened, it's a dream Geralt has. He talks to Vesemir about how Yen was there, even though she's never been to the stronghold in her life

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does Letho show up only if you import a witcher 2 save, or is it part of the default game if you aren't importing?

Dunno, but if you're not importing, it's one of the options that comes up when you're simulating a Witcher 2 save.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, I'm bummed because I rescued somebody who was all "Next time you're in *some town I couldn't remember*, I'll give you a free haircut!" and now I can't find him or any other barbers nearby and I need a goddamn shave.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Squee posted:

There is a witch you can gently caress in the first game even!

I'm pretty sure the first two sex scenes in the entire game franchise are a sorceress and a witch.

I mean, there's also that one peasant girl, but there's a whole bunch of bullshit to get it and she's more likely to end up eaten alive by ghost dogs.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

evilmiera posted:

OK then, well, I'm at the choice at the bit in Velen where the tree spirit is asking me to free it to fight the hags. I've heard differing output on this, what's the deal with either choice here? I haven't spoken word one to the Bloody Baron yet.

If you do one thing, a bad thing will happen.

If you do another thing, a different bad thing will happen.

-The Witcher.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

I do really love how you get just enough comments from villagers to keep reminding you that yes, people are pretty weirded out by Witchers.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

HelmetCheese posted:

What's the deal with enemies regenerating health super fast in combat, is this a glitch or something? I'm trying to kill a werewolf and about 2/3 of the way through the fight it starts regenerating health faster than I can damage the loving thing. This happened the first few times I tried to kill the botchling, too. It's really harshing my buzz here.

Magical creatures often have advanced healing. Set them on fire, pop some oils on your sword, something like that.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

Wild at Heart: What did people choose? I ended up killing the werewolf because while Margrit is crazy as poo poo, she doesn't actually turn into a giant ravenous wolfthing every so often. His system might work for a while, but that's still a huge risk for the village. Anyone want to tell me why I'm a terrible person?

I did the same, but was hoping there'd be some opportunity to be all "Hey, just because I didn't let this monster kill you doesn't mean you're not the worst person ever".

However, you're still a terrible person because you made a choice in the Witcher universe, and all choices are terrible and the consequences are bad.

EDIT: Oh, and to answer your edit, if you go the other way he kills her, then comes up afterwards and begs you to end his torment.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

My big problem with Axii is that like every major decision with it can be replicated with cold hard cash and money is so plentiful it doesn't feel worth saving it.

On the other hand, I like the smug rear end feeling I get when I save a measly hundred coins by waving my hand around. And what is roleplaying, if not letting you feel incredibly smug when you do something ultimately inconsequential?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Where can I get Potions of Re-Spec Your Geralt, whatever they're called? I am tired of fightmans and would like to try signmans at this thread's recent advice.

edit: Also chiming in that the Bloody Baron's final main quest made me :smith: super duper hard

Keira Metz sells them, I know. I also know that a shopkeeper in Novigrad also stocks them, although for the life of me I unfortunately can't remember who, I just remember pulling up their stock and seeing one in there.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

agreed, polygon is tabloid rag poo poo with possibly the worst loving game opinion pieces I've ever read, bar Tim Rogers

is there a place to craft swords or did I dream that I got a sword diagram? Could have sworn that's what I got from that wyvern lair for the Griffin School quest

Blacksmiths craft swords, armorers make armor. Unlike potions, you can't make them yourself.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

I honestly had no idea, I assumed all crafters were the same. I've only ever seem armorers in the game so far...I'm in Novigrad, did I miss one or do they not show up til much later? I can't remember ever seeing one.

There's a blacksmith in the fish market in Novigrad, and there's an armorer just to the north, in the main courtyard where that stake burning occurred. He doesn't always show up on the minimap at first, it sometimes takes him a while to load in, but he's got a little shop in one of those side alcoves.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Cephalocidal posted:

Game is full of minorities. poo poo, probably a third of the Witcher contracts you get have you going after something sentient and not 100% evil. Elves, dwarves, halflings, dopplers, there are all kinds of neat and grotesque social dynamics that get explored. Only a handful of people you meet have dark skin, but given the appalling ignorance of the Velen peasantry, the violent bigotry and corruption of the eternal flame and Radovid's witch hunters in Novigrad, and the violent viking caricatures of Skellige, it's not like there's any shying away from the idea of how "basically us, just slightly superficially different" fits into the world.

The game tells its story well and completely.

That's a perfectly fair thing, but the reason it doesn't quite fly is that the white dudes are still being played by white dudes. There's a black woman in the game, which is cool, but she's also a demon that kills people with sex. Which is also totally awesome, except then you get into that whole representation thing.

Also Gwent is terrifically addicting and oh my god I started playing it way too late, I have the worst cards and everything is terrible. Something for my next playthrough as Card Shark Geralt, at least. Where's my reflective sunglasses DLC, CDProjekt?

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 4, 2015

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Defensive regulatory magicon. A DRM joke?

Yes. Very blatantly. You're literally using GOG to override faulty DRM. It isn't subtle in the least.

And that's why it's AMAZING.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Aurain posted:

The best looking armours are probably the two DLC ones, but they're utter garbage for longevity.

All games should have a glamour system.

For real, I love the medieval/samurai thing Geralt has going on with the beginning armor set, but it's poo poo for protection after the first segment.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Calaveron posted:

I meed to find the saddlebags that come after Rugged but I can't find a merchant who sells them. Any help?

If you haven't already, doing horse races gets you nicer and nicer horse equipment for nothing more than the cost of entry.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Palpek posted:

Well yeah but Geralt wasn't in on the plan so the entire thing hanged on Geralt interfering one way or another anyway while he was asked not to do anything at all.

I actually like that there are a number of quests in the game where all your instruction is a character saying "You have to trust me". Makes it feel like Geralt's not the only one doing things in the world.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Is it too much of a stretch that I noticed that on the Isle of Mists, there were seven of the dwarfs (halflings?), one of which was sleepy, along with the "sleeping" Ciri?

Not too much of a stretch at all, considering the universe.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

my new dog posted:

may ruin this for myself but, when gathering allies for fighting the hunt about how far through the main story am i... im guessing close

Not as close as you'd think. There's still a whole act beyond what you're preparing to do.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Pyromancer posted:

I think you only need console mod to switch character, just type in "Ciri"
You can also spawn more Ciris to come with you with "spawn(Cirilla,number you want)" to play as army of Ciri

Yup. And then "Geralt" to switch back.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

As a reminder, in the books it's stated very early on that Triss has a whole bunch of scarring on her chest and so never wears anything even resembling a plunging neckline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So the greedy god quest, who fought the pig demon thingy? I told the corpulent demon pig "Accept the measly offerings until the war is over or die" and that was that.. who fought him? I wanted to know what creature it was.

It shows up in your Bestiary so you can know exactly what kind of creature it is.

Harrow posted:

The conclusion to the "Possession" quest is... interesting.

So, I chose the trick method. Okay, sure, Geralt didn't kill a baby. I knew that going in. But he did just kill three men who were only trying to defend the life of an innocent child. That's... pretty hosed up. I thought that would be clever and avoid too much bloodshed, but apparently it's pretty awful.

Kind of tempted to do it the other way now. Jeez.

You don't have to kill them. There's no way to know it, but apparently that section is on a timer, and if you just defend yourself until it runs out, the trick will be revealed and you haven't just murdered three people for doing the right thing.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 17, 2015