Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The dumbest thing about the courier background is how in Lonesome Road you never get a dialogue option to explain to Ulysses what couriers actually are and do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BlackLaser posted:

Curious to see what the skill bobbleheads do when skills were assumed to be removed from the game.

Free perk maybe?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nevets posted:

Yeah, the perk pictures we've seen have been "[Skill Name] Rank #", so the bobbleheads will probably increment your skill rank by 1. I'm hoping that perk ranks do more than unlock tiers of challenges, so hopefully something like:
Lockpick 1: unlock level 1 locks & can unlock while sneaking
Lockpick 2: unlock level 2 locks & outside time slows down while in the unlocking mini-game
Lockpick 3: unlock level 3 locks & 50% chance to recover a broken lockpick

Speaking of minigames I hope they remove that godawful hacking one. New Vegas made it worse by putting a delay in before trying again.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Epic High Five posted:

I feel like being shot in the head and not only left for dead but buried in an unmarked grave requires some sort of response pretty much no matter what character you're playing, barring a Gandhi playthrough

It's the reason I was always so nice to that otherwise incredibly suspicious cowboy robot. I even put batteries in his shed for him instead of just stealing them like you fuckers all did! :iamafag:

What kind of monster would be mean to the friendly cowboy robot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bicyclops posted:

That, some irradiated water, and a molerat, and you got a stew going!

Ah, the Flavortown special.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GirlBones posted:

I never play fallout with companions. I hope I can tell the dog to just stay the gently caress in his lovely little dog house.

You could in 3 and NV why do you think that's changed?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

See this wouldn't be a problem if the dog was the player character. You'd just choose between bark, growl, and whine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

frajaq posted:

Patrolling Boston feels like a nuclear winter

Ave, true to Fieri.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

In fact, the only known plot hook for Fallout 4 is this quest, where they establish that the Institute makes perfectly human robots that try to escape, and that there's a group trying to help those robots escape called the Railroad. We know there's something called the Commonwealth Police, and that they have a "Synth Retention Bureau". They're willing and able to track an android all the way down to Rivet City... where there is a pretty well developed Railroad network. That's right, as far away as the Capital Wasteland there are half a dozen well connected people who are dedicated to freeing nonsensical androids. Not bringing down the actual network of slavers that operate locally... just freeing some strange non-human creatures from a distant country.

Desmond, one of the npcs from Point Lookout, is from the Institute too. Or the brain guy was. One of them, anyway.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crabtree posted:

Even better, they have Cold Fusion because Power Armor runs by a fusion power cell. Every brotherhood suit could probably generate enough energy to keep the lights on in a city for decades.

There should be a side quest somewhere to go loot that set of power armor to dick over a town.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope you can only wear one ring at a time and have to choose between your wedding ring and the ring of +10 small guns.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Yeah Ceasar is brutal, but only because he is dealing with a brutal world. How do you deal with raiders that enslave your citizens and maybe eat them?

The Legion are literally raiders that enslave citizens except instead of eating them they rape them. Then genocide you if you say "no" to the offer to join and purge your culture if you say "yes".

The game is also explicit about the fact that when Caesar dies the Legion breaks up, and Caesar is old and also has a brain tumor.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 24, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

steinrokkan posted:

Run, Lola, Run did reactive storytelling better than any game, and that's just the first example that came to my mind.

Run, Lola, Run is a pretty good movie.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Actually, it's about target audiences in video games.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Every single time I pulled this weapon out in NV the game crashed. I just wanted to use my doggone doggun. :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

frajaq posted:

I hope there's an achievement for being faithful to my dead waifu :colbert: and never taking that ring off!!

I for one am glad that Bethesda didn't forget the ring.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man Whore posted:

she tried to gently caress you after the battle but there was some nobody NCR trooper in your bed instead.

I knew I should have taken the ranger armor off.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In half an hour I got some rare guy called Joshua Morgan, who is immediately made worthless because Butch, King of Vault 015 graced us with his presence. I sent Morgan out with a lovely assault rifle to go do whatever, but not before they both knock someone up (who I then immediately put back to work). Fallout Shelter's fun.

quote:

I did laugh a couple of times in the game. Times were hard and some people were really sad and had massive sad frowns. One man, I sent out into the wastelands. Seeing him trudge off, utterly miserable into the hostile world with nothing but an enhanced bbgun and one stimpack was hilarious for some reason.

One guy was really depressed until I put him in a room with a lady. Then he got really happy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well some raiders stole nearly all my resources because none of my guys in guns or armor decided to fight the raiders and instead ran away despite constantly being assigned to the room they were in, leaving it up to one balding guy with a paunch to drive them off. These idiots deserve to starve. You especially Butch you cowered in a diner.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The first two babies that were born were balding and gray-haired with a ponytail, respectively. After that I started studding Butch and the one vault dweller who did not run in terror from raiders (you have a gun shoot it assholes) and instead punched them out. My facilities are undermanned so I had to set up a breeding program and rotate out the studs. Competent dwellers are rewarded with more sex and bigger guns. Meanwhile, King Joshua Morgan is conquering the wasteland in my name.

It took two hours to turn me into a monster.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

It makes Fallout Shelter much, much better.

Consider this: Number a vault 420, then replace most of the rooms with Gardens when you unlock them. :snoop:

There aren't a lot special or easter egg numbered vaults are there? I heard 666 gets swarmed by deathclaws but don't know if that's true or not.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm uncomfortable with how quickly Elder Lyons is able to put the moves on everyone.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Half of my vault is on fire caused by a freak radaway accident, the other half is full of huddling pregnant ladies, the power is failing, and Balding McStubble is currently scouring the wastes of life so he can bring back a lovely outfit for someone. So that's what happened to Vault 15 before Fallout 1 happened, apparently.

Fire Storm posted:

Do max stat parents produce max stat kids? Also nthing the desire for family trees just to make breeding easier.

Also, this game got a lot better when I started playing it on an emulator on my desktop.

Well I know what I'm doing later. It's kind of a pain selecting certain dwellers on my tablet.

quote:

Yeah...

welp

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 20, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Todd Howard has achived the state of CHIM, and altered reality. Unfortunately even his power is only sufficient to make us all potato-monsters to match Fallout. There is no power in this or any other world to do otherwise to Fallout itself.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bitcoin bastard posted:

Ugh is Bethesda going to use the inventory UI from F3? If so, I might give this game a pass.

No I won't.

I must be a mutant because I never had much problems with the default UI in Bethesda games except Morrowind.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I hope that, epically, at the end of Fall's Out Four, John FAllout motherfreaking dies to save Baby Shaun who is now a ghoulified cybercyborg with psyker powers, but if you pay USD$20 for the Broken Circuit DLC you get to continue and finally and truly take the fight to the Institute

I hope I can name my character Robutt and the game will recognize it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Yay new fallout game! Looks super fun!

Agreed, and I am glad I got it for 45 dollars. I didn't know it's out next week!

quote:

Genuinely I just don't see how you could watch these leaks or even any of the E3 footage and not see the extent to which this is the same game as Fallout 3 with all its attendant flaws but with the addition of BioWare trappings to make your character even less yours.

Both FO3 and NV were fun and good despite their (numerous, typically crippling) flaws, so if it's more of the same then that's okay with me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Droid posted:

Nothing is flawless, but some things are more harmed by their flaws than others, like Dragon Age 2 having serious flaws in almost every aspect of the game.

I thought DA2 was a lot more fun to play than DA:O. The combat wasn't good but it was over a lot faster to get back to the important parts: the gigglesquees.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What would you need to do for the Lone Wanderer perk? I haven't really seen much of anything on the game but more carry weight and going solo is fine with me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Droid posted:

Has there been any word on whether or not the game will have ammo types, or ammo crafting for that matter?

I really hope not, that part of NV was kind of tedious and I only used the magnum rounds or overcharged energy cells anyway.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Danaru posted:

HATE PURITY FIRST

DIDN'T ASK

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NecroMonster posted:

personally I wonder what HATE NEWSPAPERS could mean

cause man this is some vague poo poo here, what will the character possibly say if i choose that option?

A diatribe at length about John Fallout's disdain for the New York Times, specifically.

quote:

On the other hand... gently caress man, reading a full dialogue option is so goddamn hard, it hurts my brain. I'm glad Bethesda has removed that from the game so I won't have to strugge with knowing exactly what my character should say anymore. Truly an improvement for RPGs.

Witcher and Mass Effect did it, so it seems to me you're angry at the wrong company.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Whereas Fallout is (well, used to BE) about creating a character of your own.

You still do that though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leinadi posted:

Ok ok, Fallout 4 is exactly the same dialogue-wise as the older games. Except that you don't see exactly what your character is going to say... and that it's limited to 4 options (older games had more options, but not ALL the time so it's basically the same)... and I'm stuck with a particular voice for my character.

But it's the same basically.

It's the same in that, as in the other games, you have a number of different options; it's different in that the dialogue option is abstracted then spoken aloud. I can recall several times you had three or less options in FO1, 2, 3, and NV, or where it'd be the same where you'd have a couple with an option to investigate further. It sounds like you're more upset with the presentation of it than it being functionally different, since it's not. And that's okay! Maybe just buy another game if that bothers you too much.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sector_corrector posted:

You are insanely loving stupid.

New Vegas' biggest failing is you cannot make the King King of New Vegas.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rockybar posted:

You mean like the sunset sarsaparilla guy who follows you or SMELL THAT AIR?

The second one is scripted.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rinkles posted:

In 3 certain areas could spawn a random encounter from a few prefab scenarios. Like a Deathclaw chasing a raider, or a pack of ghouls guarding a fridge full of water.

The alien ufo would explode over random places at random times too. Sometimes it would make the alien blaster or the Firelance impossible to obtain since they can fall somewhere you can't reach.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sector_corrector posted:

I'm also excited for the game, but the insane fervor with which people defend the game against real criticisms is mind boggling.

HATE NEWSPAPERS

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leinadi posted:

With any luck, we'll have dialogue in Fallout 4 to rival this amazing Dragon Age 2 option.

Divinity 2 was a pretty good game.

quote:

It's funny to call graphics, AI, and engine performance trivial issues. It's also funny to see people jumping down my throat for such a bland comment.

HATE GRAPHICS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Magmarashi posted:

Oh boy, I'm really glad this isn't some sort of carebear hugbox nanny thread so that we can have hard-hitting, critical discussions such as these!

To be fair, it's Fallout, who actually cares about the plot.

• Locked thread