Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I haven't played this game in a couple of months and decided I wanted to get back in. Only DLC I'm missing at the moment is Charlemagne and the Way of Life (?) DLC.

I'm trying to find a good starting spot. Something other than Ireland. I started as Leon, but I have trouble with the Muslims. Especially since I was fighting my brother for his kingdoms while he was defending against a Muslim invasion. By the time I had won the war, I only ended up with a few counties because he lost everything else already... And it took a long long time.

So, do any of you have suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Larry Parrish posted:

1066 Catholics or Muslims are the best way to learn the game.

I really should try a Muslim game. Started one a while ago, but I got hosed over by crusades and everyhting. The decadence mechanic also wasn't that clear at the time.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Walton Simons posted:

Also if I have a strong claim on a county in a country undergoing rebellion, is now a good time to press or am I likely to get derailed by ruler changes and the like?

I am not a smart man, so take everything I say with a pinch of salt, but, I think there are pro's and cons. Pro is obviously that the defender has to defend against both the rebels and your invading army. Con is that it's possible the rebels win the war before you do, and then your CB is no longer valid.
So I'd say it depends on how big a revlot we're speaking of and how quickly you think it'll end.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Knuc U Kinte posted:

My suggestion for a newbie start is 1066 Richard Guiscard in apuila, southern Italy.

Did this. It's going pretty good at the moment. My ruler died pretty early, dividing his duchies between me and my brother. Both under 16, so I had to wait some years in regency. As soon as I turned 16, I stabbed my 14 year old brother and inherited his duchy. Unfortunately, I got caught and got the kinslayer trait.
Fortunately, I was under attack by Muslims, so that +75 'Defending against infidels' really helped.
Took some counties, formed the kingdom of Sicily. Then I decided to swear fealty to the HRE, because there's no way I'm gonna take them on on my own. Now I'm marshal and the HRE dude loves me.
At the moment I'm taking large chunks of Northern Africa, while the HRE is taking over France. I started a faction to become the leader of the HRE, so far 62% back me. I'll probably fire the event once the HRE conquered France :)
After that, my ruler will probably die and everything will go to poo poo, but that's life CK2.

Also, on an unrelated note, this playthrough made me realise that sometimes it's best to just lose a war. Under attack by 6-8k infidels and some idiot decides he wants some stupid little county? Rather than deplete my treasory and hire mercenaries, I went: gently caress it, let him have it. For now. We can always :ese: later.

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 9, 2015

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Knuc U Kinte posted:

That 62% is the strength of your faction relative to his strength. You're gonna get your rear end whooped unless you have cash for mercs and use the Alps defensively.

Ah, ok. I totally misinterpreted this number then. Thanks for clearing that up before I went on a suicide mission.
By the way, a bunch of pikemen + the Alps = ultimate defense?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
By the way, are there any sales on the DLC at the moment? Specially on Charlemagne and the Way of Life DLC.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

beedeebee posted:

Did this. It's going pretty good at the moment. My ruler died pretty early, dividing his duchies between me and my brother. Both under 16, so I had to wait some years in regency. As soon as I turned 16, I stabbed my 14 year old brother and inherited his duchy. Unfortunately, I got caught and got the kinslayer trait.
Fortunately, I was under attack by Muslims, so that +75 'Defending against infidels' really helped.
Took some counties, formed the kingdom of Sicily. Then I decided to swear fealty to the HRE, because there's no way I'm gonna take them on on my own. Now I'm marshal and the HRE dude loves me.
At the moment I'm taking large chunks of Northern Africa, while the HRE is taking over France. I started a faction to become the leader of the HRE, so far 62% back me. I'll probably fire the event once the HRE conquered France :)
After that, my ruler will probably die and everything will go to poo poo, but that's life CK2.

Also, on an unrelated note, this playthrough made me realise that sometimes it's best to just lose a war. Under attack by 6-8k infidels and some idiot decides he wants some stupid little county? Rather than deplete my treasory and hire mercenaries, I went: gently caress it, let him have it. For now. We can always :ese: later.

Well then. I took some huge chunks of Northern Africa, but the emperor of the HRE couldn't defend against a Jihad so I lost it all.
Couple of years later the emperor is waging like 8 wars at once, and losing. So I figure, now is my chance to become emperor of the HRE! Of course, he won't go down with a fight. I manage to gain a bit of warscore at first, but he calls in a ton of allies and I start losing. Badly.
Luckily my king gets maimed and he dies a couple of months later. My son inherits, war ends :)
Now I'm back at the start I guess. Gonna try to marry my way in some new territory.

The unpredictability of this game is so awesome.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Good stuff playing along when things don't go your way.

Well yeah, that's like the core of the game for me. You can plan all you want and then suddenly everything crumbles around you. Then you panick and try to limit your losses or take advantage of a new opportunity.
Although I sometimes reload a save when super super bullshit things happen.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
This may sound weird, but do you guys also have periods where you do...nothing? Right now I'm waiting for some kids to grow up so I can marry them and get some new claims etc. Everyone around me is too strong to try and take over, I don't like shipping my armies over the world to take some small piece of land. So at the moment I'm just waiting/keeping vassals happy.
But, I get the feeling (from all the LPs I've watched) that I should be plotting/stabbing people/expanding/planning stuff 24/7. Declaring a war on the last day of a war I win etc. I just don't do that.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I just travelled through Croatia and Bosnia and it owned. Now I want to play a CK game in that area. Any cool or interesting starts over there?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Wow, I was dicking around in the religion tab and turns out I accidentally funded some guy's campaign to become pope.
I only realised this when I found it strange that the new pope had a 100 opinion of me. Turns out that the 'funded campaign' modifier is a +200 one. :getin:
Request money all day everyday!

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Married my character to some duchess so my sons would inherit her lands and mine and thus double the size of my realm. However, the duchess died pretty early, meaning my son left my court and is now duke. Meaning I can't control him :negative:
Everyday I pray for the sweet release of death, so I can play as my heir.

Oh, and another thing. I changed succession laws, which pissed him off, because his brother suddenly was first in line. Said brother got later murdered by someone, but the other brother (who will now inherit everything) still has that huge 'changed succession laws' negative modifier. What's up with that.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
My 1 year old son had to take over because I got sick and died. I chose some pretty qualified guy to educate me, but when I turned 16, I had 0 traits. What the gently caress dude.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Uhm, since when is the number of troops shown on the character screen? That's neat. No longer having to check realm levies or w/e

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I started a game somewhere as the high chief of Volhynia. After a couple of years of kicking rear end and taking lands, I've formed the kingdom of Ruthenia. Playing as pagan is fun :) Anyway, I should probably switch my culture to Russian and try to form the empire of Russia I guess? Don't really know which direction to go at the moment (I don't own the Horse Lords DLC btw).

By the way, I totally screwed up those event stacks you can get for 500 prestige. I forgot like 3-4 times that they'll disappear when you're at peace. Yeah...

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Chexoid posted:

I kind of feel like I'm not "getting" retinues. They seem super expensive and time consuming to make, and after like, one major battle the upkeep to replenish them gets so high that it almost seems like I have to disband it all and start over again. Are they mainly for when you are ridiculously wealthy?

They also don't count as a raised army. So you can just march them wherever, declare war and boom. Before your opponent can organise his armies, you already have a ton of dudes in his capital.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I'm thinking about hopping back in this game and pick up some DLC while I'm at it. Did I already miss the daily sale (-75% or whatever) for the Conclave and Reaper's Due?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Trogdos! posted:

Steam doesn't do daily sales / quick sales anymore (during big sales), it's just highlights now.

Ah OK. Didn't know that. Might as well buy them now then. Thanks for the info everyone!

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Wow, this game has changed a lot since I last played it 6 months ago. Way more menus and stuff. Characters owe me favors and I have no idea how to use that. Also, I can't ask the pope for money anymore? What's up with that? And educationg children just got a lot harder? Is there an overview of recent changes somewhere (without reading 8000 pages of text preferably).

EDIT: there's a guy named Arumba who has tons of videos on YouTube. Are his videos goon recommended?

EDIT 2: I stopped playing before the Horse Lords DLC was released.

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 28, 2016

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I'm trying to get back in the game but I have trouble finding a cool somewhat easy start place and date. I'm tired of the Ireland start but my skills are still rusty I'm still not very good at this game so I'm not sure where to go next.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
My court physician just castrated me and the I died. Hmmm

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I just found out that if you accidentally make your son a Doge he won't be your heir anymore for some reason. I also found out that winning wars against trade republics gives you lots of money.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Torrannor posted:

The reason is pretty clear, republicans (of normal republics or merchant republics) can never inherit feudal titles.

Yeah, didn't really think about that until I gave my son a duchy while he was already mayor or something? Don't really know. But it's not that bad. We'll see how it goes with my other heirs.

EDIT: wait. Apparently my new heir is my grandson, son of the doge. So he'll inherit the kingdom of Sicily later, but what will happen when his dad dies? Will I lose the trade Republic of Venice?

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 31, 2016

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Elman posted:

Do you need a DLC for that? I can't seem to ask the Pope for much. Just a divorce and stuff like that. Do I just need him to like me more?

Also (sorry about all the newbie questions), should I make any changes to the default game rules? I've noticed the game didn't have shattered retreat on release and they added it later, do I wanna keep it on?

Meh, before shattered retreat, if you defeated an army they would flee to the next county and you could kill the rest of them there. That made your warscore go up really fast. With shattered retreat, they flee really far away (and maybe split up?) so you can't easily go after them. Thus waging war is slower. Personally I turn it off, because I'm used to the previous system.

Another question: what happens if I have a claim on Rome and successfully press it? Will the pope become my vassal? And if so, will he pay me a shitload of taxes, since a ton of bishops pay taxes to him? And will other Christian rulers come to his defence if I attack him? I'm a Christian myself by the.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Ugh, I hate the ship mechanism in this game. It's so much work to load up your troops on ships and attack some stupid county on the other side of the sea.

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 2, 2017

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I accidentally ended up as a vassal of the HRE. My husband died, leaving my grandson a county in the HRE. Then when I died, my grandson inherited my kingdom of Sicily. So suddenly I was a vassal to the kaiser. Unexpected, but it's probably easier to try and destroy it/take over from the inside anyway :v:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
As a non-doge ruler, immortality seems like it would suck no? I mean, what's the point of marriages where your heir will inherit titles if you never get to play as your heir? Or am I missing something obvious?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Ugh. My game seems to have reached a dead end. I'm a vassal of the HRE, can't get o his council, due to laws I can't wage internal wars and I don't have any claims on my neighbors so far. I'm just upgrading my holdings and trying to fabricate claims, but everyone around me is either really strong or really far away.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
While hunting my king met an intriguing woman. So he gave her a good tumble, because why not. Then I invited her to my court, because again why not. Turns out she's quick and attractive. So I betrothed her to my 14 year old son and heir.
She's still my lover though. A few years pass, my son turns 16 and they get married. Then she has my child, but fortunately my son doesn't know the kid isn't his. Oh, she also gets lovers pox :gonk:
My wife isn't too thrilled with my constant cheating. So I decide to press her claim on the kingdom of Norway. Now everyone is happy and life is good!

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The ones I got have always been quick, attractive, and infected with syphilis.

Haha, that's great. I've had my court physician check her out, but it didn't do much. But whatever, as long as I get a quick/attractive heir, who cares about the mother's health.

CK2 makes you type out the worst things.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Eric the Mauve posted:

gently caress-all, unless they're fellow counts and you're both members of your liege's council.

(There are a few miscellaneous things you can do with favors like force someone to come to your court (but only if they're not a close relative of their current liege and not holding a council position, so basically only if they're useless anyway) or accept certain betrothals/wardships and other stuff that generally you'll never want to actually do.)

Once in a while I have used a favor to, for example, get a woman with awesome traits/stats who is a different religion to move to my court where I can convert her and marry her to myself or my heir.

Oh yeah, this reminds me. Someone who I owed a favor forced me to accept a matrilineal betrothal between his daughter and my son. Still have to figure a way to get out of that one, since I'm the king and that dude was my duke. I'm guessing if he's dead I won't owe him a favor anymore and can just break the betrothal?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

verbal enema posted:

Just stab the wife

Oh right. Cut out the middle man woman. Literally :ese:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
My attractive brilliant strategist son died at the age of 17 due to camp fever. Of course.
Thank god I didn't gently caress around too much with the education of his brother (who has a lisp by the way). Although it's always funny when your kids manage to insult entire generations of your vassals in the groom an heir event chain.
By the way, I also fought a war against my mom. I'm king of Sicily, she's queen of Norway, we're both vassals of the HRE. Suddenly she starts an independent revolt. I couldn't join her side of the war and I wanted the war to be over so I just fought her :) She lost but somehow kept the entire kingdom (I think it was a white peace or something?) and doesn't seem to mind that I fought against her.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm pretty sure you can hold shift while right-clicking a destination to add it to the waypoint queue.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If you didn't know about this in CK2 then it's really going to blow your mind when you find out you can do this in every Paradox game.

CK2 is the only Paradox game I play :ssh:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Sometimes I give duchy titles where someone else (not my vassal) owns counties in to an ambitious vassal so he can press the de jure claims. That way I don't have to wage a war and my kingdom expands. They might get too strong, but we'll deal with that when it happens (:ese:).

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I inherited the kingdom of Norway as the king of Sicily. I hold 2 duchies in Sicily with pretty upgraded buildings and a hospital etc. I don't want to give up one of those to get a crappy duchy in Norway. However, I fear that if I give that Norse duchy to a vassal, he'll want the kingdom of Norway (even more). What are the downsides of keeping a kingdom title without having a single duchy in that kingdom?

Shbobdb posted:

1) How do I find Crusaders? For better or for worse (mostly for worse) mercenaries always show up at my capital. Crusaders show up ????
Not sure what you mean, but if you hire Crusader mercenaries (can't find against people of the same religion, they cost piety instead of money), they should also show up in your capital.

Can't help you with the colorblind mod, I have no idea. Maybe check the steam workshop?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Oh yeah, I forgot to add, but I seem to have a problem with my retinues. I had an army of around 5k, but suddenly my max retinue dropped to 4,5k or whatever. And ever since I seem to have lost my standing army?
Has this happened to someone else?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Gobblecoque posted:

Ugh, it's quite annoying to realize that you declared war to press your vassal'ss ducal de jure claim on a county rather than your own kingdom de jure claim. Enjoy the free land I guess you jerk.

Meh, that's not too bad. Accidentally pressing the claim for someone who has no relation to your dynasty or isn't your vassal is worse.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Various Meat Products posted:

CRI is a crown law and only applies to the de jure area of the kingdom/empire. Is your capital not part of your primary title?

Oh, this explains so much. Thanks for clearing this up, I've been wondering the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Alright councillor, I get that you're malcontent. But if I try to grant you the duchy that you desire, you should probably just agree with me instead of being stubborn and say no.

• Locked thread