Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Wilekat posted:

Monarch points are like gold dust now. Coring costs up, annexing costs up and now monarch point expenditure on province development means you have to be really careful with what you spend them on. I feel like a string of low tier rules will absolutely crush your ability to do anything.

This is why monarch points are the worst idea Paradox has ever had.

"Hey let's make a resource that's required for literally everything and can only be obtained through random die rolls the player has no ability to influence! They'll love it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

But now we have an actual trade off between going tall and wide.

I don't know about that, spending 50+ monarch power for +0.8 base tax in a single province sounds like a horrible deal compared to coring even a fairly weak enemy province.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but when I try to form the kingdom of Italy, my national ideas don't get switched like it says. However, I was playing a custom nation, and it would make sense to me if the removed that for custom nations so you can't just skimp on ideas to save points and then get better ones for free by tag switching.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

So how are people placing their forts? Just on the borders, or interspersed throughout your territory? Also when you're not at war do you mothball some of your forts, all of them, or just leave them up to be safe?

The new fort mechanics are probably my favorite part of the expansion, but I'm having a little trouble telling if I'm going overboard with forts trying to make my country a nightmare to invade.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

How'd you get that land reform modifier?

I think it's one of the ideas you can choose for custom nations.

Speaking of which, how many points do people like to use for their custom nations? I can do fine with the default 200, but I find 250-300 more fun, especially if I'm doing something gimmicky.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

I dunno about that, but could be. I'm Portugal so I suspect I own less than 20 provinces myself, but if you count subjects then yeah I have a ton. Can you never become a republic if you have more than 20 provinces?

Subjects don't count towards the limit, but yeah. It's pretty stupid.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

GSD posted:

I love how people in the thread keep doubting Wiz when he says Byzantium isn't in the top 10 of played countries.

The Byzantines may be the heirs to Rome but until they get +20% morale and +7.5 discipline in their national ideas they'll just have to sit on the sidelines. :colbert:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Wiz is posting some interesting things about the upcoming patch on the Paradox forums:

quote:

Up-to-date fully maintained forts will give you army tradition in 1.13 (scaled depending on how many forts you have compared to your total development).
Source: Is there any reason to build a higher tier fort than 1?

quote:

+5 cost per [development] increase will be removed, dev efficiency not affecting whole cost is a bug and will be fixed. To balance the lack of cost increase for repeatedly developing same province, we'll make it so you can't develop any one of the three values to be higher than the other two together (so you can't make a 40 production 1 bt 1 manpower silk province).
Source: +5 cost per development needs to go.

They both sound like really good changes to me.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

AnoMouse posted:

Is this still the case? I ask because extra merchants used to boost naval force limits and that's been removed.

Unfortunately no.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Another Person posted:

The 10% morale and manpower recovery speed is just icing on the cake.

10% morale is excellent, not icing. Goons overrate discipline and wildly underrate morale. It doesn't matter how many casualties your troops can inflict if they all break on the first day.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Is it ever worth removing an idea group? I can't see anything that would justify wasting thousands of monarch points like that.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I do wish you got SOME points back when ditching an idea group. Just to make it a more interesting option. Countries change overtime!

You do realize that you get 10% of the invested points back, right?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

I still wish that forming Italy didn't turn you into a monarchy. Republics for life :911:

Literally everyone does, I don't know why Paradox hasn't changed it yet.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I was kinda hoping that a plutocratic coup could eventually transition me to a republic, but it looks like all that happens is they do is sit on their asses after seizing power.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

Merchant Republics are also good but you miss out on marriages, estates, and your autonomy reduction is a lot weaker. You also have to actually manage your RT.

I think this question has come up before but I take it estates are a net benefit to a country and not a hindrance? I haven't done much with them yet but the minimum autonomy thing is really psychologically off-putting to me.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

I loved someone elses suggestion of ditching Naval entirely and making it so anyone can take Plutocratic or Aristocratic. Naval is just bad.

I did this in a mod once a long time ago and it worked very well. Extended Vanilla Experience does something similar as well.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

The second part here is also incorrect, Trade Efficiency just increases your income and doesn't affect power, so it's not doing anything to any of your trade competitors.

Are you sure? I'm positive it increased power in EU3 and I never heard of it being changed in EU4.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Those people don't want any changes at all, in all likelihood. I really like the new territory/state system

Yeah, now that it's been explained to me I'm starting to really like it.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I don't know, won't that send Espionage ideas right back to being worthless?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I haven't played much until recently, but I kinda want to try a game where I make England into a continental power. Is it better to go for broke and try to win the 100 Years War, or let Normandy and Gascogne fall, then take them back later when I have more military ideas and more territory in the British Isles?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

Finally, I can trigger The Stonemasons at will whenever appropriate.

Fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

skasion posted:

England and Castile were both good learning nations for new players at one point but both now have rather irritating civil war-type disasters that are quite likely to trigger early on which makes it hard to recommend them.

Agreed, England in particular used to be my go-to recommendation (unless you need to learn the absolute basics in which case I"d go Portugal), but the Hundred Years War and the War of the Roses are likely to trip up new players.

• Locked thread