Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Thumbtacks posted:

shield oath @ 30 now

NICE. Should've been this way at launch, but at least they corrected it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Gruckles posted:

It's hosed up that no Q&A has had anyone ask to have Amon's Hat be glamourable for RDM.

Caster hats from the Aery, Void Ark, and Mhach are fancy.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Yup! There are some keyboards it can't detect like certain third party ones but I was able to use both a bluetooth keyboard and a 10 year old dell one with no problems.

I also decided to buy one of these things which I ended up never using (cos it was poo poo):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00X6ZV24Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yep. Whenever I buy a new keyboard I just relegate my old one (presuming it still works) to the PS3/PS4. It's not only for FFXIV specifically - it's so nice to be able to type in a product key quickly.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Crafting's pretty easy if you stick with beast tribe / provisioning / challenge log to level and eventually get everything to 50. Takes a long time (like months) but the daily time investment and the gil required are minimal. The ability to repair any piece of gear at any time for up to twice its durability is really nice. Same with materia melding (though that's not as valuable with the NPCs added in HW).

Crafting max level gear is the cliff, and gathering's no picnic.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

here's an idea: gently caress the crafted weapon economy. almost every single effective method of making gil in this game requires an absurd amount of gil up-front, i think the crafter barons can afford to not make 900 percent profit on their thirty minutes of work in the interest of game health.

30 minutes of work? For that item, maybe. I don't begrudge folks making bank off the grinding and preparation to get to that point.

FWIW (and we may be talking about the same thing) I'd prefer it if endgame crafting was more accessible - lower the time investment without trivializing it, and make advancement to the next tier more transparent and governed less by RNG. Keep specializations, make them worthwhile (like each unlocks its own set of attractive recipes), offer a respec route that's sensible but also expensive (like a 1 month cooldown, if not longer).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

nuru posted:

They tried most of the things you mentioned and it didn't really do anything to change that Omnicrafters had all the wealth and the game economy is a terrifying mirror of the real world. I think it would probably help that when 190/ 220 / 250 are the crafting tiers maybe they should drop in a significantly cheaper version that's 10-15 levels lower than the top. Having affordable/craftable 235 right now would have gone a long way to getting people moving, especially if weapons were included.

Agreed with the weapon suggestion, and that's the direction I'm pointing towards. If SE wants grind or RNG, it could be with crafting the item that upgrades the 10-15 ilvl lower weapon (but once created, the upgrade process is guaranteed).

quote:

It's actually kind of strange that the 24 mans dropped no weapons or Encrypted Tomestones at all compared to ARR's handling of them, but the argument is probably that running ST over and over for upgrade items was a chore.

To an extent, but I liked that it got me into Alexander while it was current content. By the time I did any phase of Coil it was long outdated.

*edit -

Bonfire Lit posted:

Crafters used to have their high-end recipes locked behind specializations. Every patch, they removed the spec requirement from the old gear and added new, spec-locked stuff. 3.55 finally removed the requirement from all items.

There's also a way to change specifications, which costs 480 red crafting scrips.

Yep, aware! Just don't think they were effective enough. Specializations matter more if, say, they're a choice for a full content cycle and multiple choices are viable.

isk fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 28, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Daynab posted:

Update: friend had his sister use account for a little while when he was in the hospital and she tested out botting for MGP and didn't tell him until he told her he was in GM jail tonight after coming back from his 72 hour ban. They removed his MGP and that's about it.

So... you were right! :v: wasn't RMT though.

Entirely possible your friend's telling the truth, but the percentages are against them. Siblings are a common and usually fabricated excuse for suspensions/bans. Based on the information so far I think they're just ashamed they got caught and don't want to admit it. They got off light if they can play again - even if MGP is an isolated and glamour-focused currency.

Dr Pepper posted:

That would probably really screw up the health/damage balance of early game dungeons, since you have access to more potency and damage buffs with more abilities.

^ this. Not like the early dungeons are that difficult, but abilities like Enochian, Broil, Blood of the Dragon, etc. would trivialize these dungeons and (this is reaching but MMO communities are fragile) potentially stigmatize lower level players. Auto-scaling ability ranks (like Stone) coming in Stormblood are a great compromise.

isk fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 29, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I don't mind lower level dungeons in roulettes as long as everyone moves reasonably promptly and presses buttons. It's the inexplicable pauses that drag 'em down in my experience.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

megalodong posted:

Why do people here dislike mrhappy so much? I've watched some of his videos and he doesn't seem that bad?

For me, it's that in his videos he's too wordy and he has the charisma of drywall. Mizzteq's more my speed - pleasant voice, reasonable pace, bad puns, usually covers all the mechanics without describing them to death.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

oh my god

isk
Oct 3, 2007

It's an even bigger jump than that. Think PLDs/DRKs are in the upper 9000s at 50 with full IW/Dreadwyrm, with WARs at +25% that. Pretty sure 20k unbuffed wasn't until 60/Asuran for WARs.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Off-topic but -

Zereth posted:

Okay barring set bonuses or trinket effects, yeah, but you'd zone into Hellfire Penninsula and it'd just start spewing poo poo of higher ilvl than you could possibly get before. IIRC the item budget also changed so it was substantially more powerful, especially in HP. I think it wasn't as dramatic in Lich King or Pandaria but still happened.

Nah, outside of exceptional cases, if you came into TBC with Tier 3 (ilvl 92), it wasn't until Nagrand quests or Zangarmarsh dungeons (both ilvl 94) that vanilla gear started getting phased out en masse. Hellfire blues weren't far off, but most were inferior even outside of set bonuses. TBC was, however, instant upgrades for alts or folks who didn't raid past Nefarian (which was most players).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Legion launch was fun, but since then the patches have been inconsistent in quality (if more substantial in scope than WoD's). Endgame's mostly about grinding Mythic+ dungeons for gear, world quests/invasions for the occasional legendary, and zerg rushing invasion buildings when they're up. Doesn't help that the dev team keeps going back on promises/previous expectations (which makes sense in light of their high level departures/transfers since Legion launch). WoW's in the best place it's been since, like, Wrath, but I can't recommend it two weeks out from Stormblood.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

can you offer literally any insight into what is wrong with your download besides 'it's not working'?

Echoing this. Only other broad solution I've got is to try downloading on a VPN. Otherwise, a specific error message/problem along with troubleshooting steps done so far would be helpful.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Truga posted:

Same. Shiva's suden stomp into drums into punkrock is the best.

Yep! It's like something out of Metal Gear Rising.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Raia Khatri
Voted off the island for endless dadjokes
What idiot called them Lalafell Dark Knights instead of Shrimp & Grit

isk
Oct 3, 2007

The hat is the photo booth.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

The yearbook pics and the soundtrack combined with the upcoming SB release got me nostalgic, so I posted a couple hundred screenshots from Heavensward on Imgur. Light on text but spoilers in the images nevertheless.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

A Spider Covets posted:

A little late but whatever!

Sweet Bee
Voted most likely to die by hair-dye chemicals
"lol at everything"

Accurate

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

So is there going to be a new thread made for Stormblood?

Probably. This thread was created during the pre-HW maintenance window.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Lemon King posted:

Whats the best looking caster chest piece?

Favorite is the Allagan Tunic of Casting (Replica for dyeing). Also dig the Crimson Vest, Arachne Bolero, Expeditioner's Tabard, Woad Skywicce's Fur, Valerian Wizard's Robe, Plague Bringer's Coat, and Gordian Gown/Midan Coat of Casting.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

ihatepants posted:

I'm finally about to finish the patch 2.55 stuff and enter Heavensward content. Is there ever a point where I would get locked out of any sidequests, especially stuff that unlocks content, if I progress with the MSQ? I know that there's some NPCs that will no longer be around in the future and don't want to miss out on anything.

Nothing critical. The few cases of temporal dissonance are handwaved iirc.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

whats the easiest way to get myself up to ilvl 180? Ive done literally nothing since beating HW MSQ so I dunno if i should just be doing roulettes or unlocking some of the stuff that came out in the last two years first.

If you're on Excalibur - post in the gearup thread at catgirl.bargains. Include your level 60 job.

If you wanna gear up yourself: hunts and 24 person raids.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Also "a couple levels" is inaccurate-to-incorrect. Significant upgrades aren't available until 57. It's less important when leveling entirely thru PotD but vital in any roulettes, trials, etc.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Sinteres posted:

It's only a couple levels where the difference above vendor trash will be very noticeable though, and even at 50 you can buy ilvl 115 gear in Ishgard that will be fine. The need to have BiS gear during leveling is pretty small.

Eh. HW leveling mobs hit pretty hard, and if someone has time in the week before SB launch, why not load up on Augmented Ironworks?

At minimum I'd recommend a weapon. Can get by with vendor armor, but it's nice to not have to worry about gear until more than halfway thru.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

the question is, is this the 8man or 24man

eeeeee

we can be a Samurai Warriors lineup especially with the ranger poses

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I'm off the next two weeks, so I'm going into gremlin mode with snacks and good crock pot food (which is pretty easy tbh). Agreed that a lot of it requires some prep in a skillet, but slow cooker carnitas is tasty and brainless. Secret is making a batch that'll last a day and no longer, since the quality drops off over time.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Fair. Pressure cookers are wondrous.

Whichever method is used, I recommend favoring protein with plenty of fiber. Get some vitamin C, D, and zinc every day. Don't feel like death when returning to work/school.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Final screenshot of 3.x.

Tomorrow I'm picking up groceries and wrapping up errands before crashing early.

SO HYPE

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

There's going to be a pre-load for the expansion like there was for HW, right?

Probably. Patch is usually available a few hours before servers come up.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

holy poo poo you get some dog rear end groups

Yeeeeeep. 30 min runs are around the max for me.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

ICYMI -

Comment at the bottom has a few more.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Truga posted:

Can't wait for Ten Billion Maws of Totorak (hard) gauntlet in SB for the Grindania version.

Thousand D'awwws. It's full of couerl kittens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Kjermzs posted:

Awwwwe, they nerfed the moogles quest exp? gently caress

Only at/over 60, as it should be. Ixali have given a pittance after 50 since HW launch or soon after.

Tekne posted:

Yoshi has finally realized his dream of becoming the undisputed world champion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEWhnVmYKDY

"Oh my god!" - YoshiP. This is the coolest poo poo.

isk fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 15, 2017

• Locked thread