Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I said come in! posted:

The argument that games are targeted towards men only is really flimsy and there's no evidence to support it. Game developers for the most part do not target gender. Its a myth that has held on somehow despite it never being true.

Ideology (at least in terms of film criticism) is the belief that certain assumptions are default or normal. In this case, ideology means that people who are "fair and balanced" still target by gender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I said come in! posted:

I'm saying it doesn't matter. The music industry found this out in the late 19th century. For entertainment, targeting demographics is pointless.

Entertainment is truly unique in this aspect, where the type of people buying it does not give you any useful information at all.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The Confederate flag is not targeted towards whites because I know some black dudes that wear it too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Literally The Worst posted:

"CoD is primarily targeted towards, designed, and marketed with men in mind"

"BUt women play it too!"

B does not negate A you loving simpleton

My favorite part was when he acknowledged that advertisers target specific demographics all the time and didn't connect this to video game advertisers targeting specific demographics.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Literally The Worst posted:

I don't remember anyone ever saying film culture was a thing so that's a terrible argument right there

Even if people did, I don't think there's a "I'm not a cinephile because I have no life but because I choose to have many" poster floating around the internet somewhere.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dapper Dan posted:

The 'Black Man is Rabid' trope is neither racist or not racist. You need to analyze the context and content of the work. Analyzing the tool is not productive, because it is just that, a tool. If you want to criticize the trope, you are essentially saying you don't like to see black men as antagonists at all. Or taking it a step further, you feel the trope is completely racist no matter the content. Which means everything that contains this trope is racist. There is no differentiation in the story structures, characterization and nuance is completely lost.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shadoer posted:

Alright so wouldn't bringing game journalism out of being useless actually good?

They're covering a major cultural industry worth billions of dollars, isn't it time it's taken out of the gutter?

Specialty journalism in general is pretty much always garbage. There are automobile journalists with exactly the same type of morals and writing styles as the video game stuff we rage about here.

If there's some actually important issue it's probably reported on by real journalists (for example, auto journalists are not the ones detailing GM's latest recall).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Obdicut posted:

it was a little sexist in that the only player character was male, now they're adding a female character to fix that very mild problem. Other than that, no sexism. I hope this helps your minecraft awareness.

Also what's the game like now? I checked out of it a long long time ago, have the functionality additions actually improved it?

Still runs on Java so it's probably the #1 source of viruses for Windows.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I don't care about people burning effigies because I can separate fantasy from reality.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

You should post that picture of the chair being hanged.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dapper Dan posted:

Yeah, violence isn't only masculine. No idea where that concept came from.

The problem is the ESRB/MPAA are centered in America when sex is still scandalous, though the MPAA is far, far worse than the ESRB could ever be in that respect. What problems do you have with it? I do like the Pegi rating system a lot better. It doesn't have an AO section, so a game with sex could be 18+ rather than AO and stricken from shelves. Unfortunately, if you read up on the history of the ESRB, that was added due to a lot of pressure and fear at the time. The industry really could have been shredded apart.

And yeah, obviously we shouldn't be giving kids 'Doom 4', but at some point there's personal responsibility. Neither the videogame industry nor the government is responsible for raising your kid and deciding what is objectionable for them or not. Parents need to take a more active role in what their kids consume. Nobody else should be impeded because parents are extremely lovely and want to be as hands off and as lazy as possible.

AO games are only banned from shelves because of store policy, not government regulations. The ESRB and MPAA ratings are completely voluntary and are in fact designed to avoid official government regulation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Craptacular! posted:

I don't think any critic of Gone Home feels that the people who made it have no understanding of game design.

You mean except the people who said it was a walking simulator, not a game?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NutritiousSnack posted:

Gamer Gate actually started with Doritos Pope and dozen other things that built animosity between gaming sites and gamers.

I mean if you're willing to include the previous 25 years of gaming media as "starting" Gamersgate, I guess that's technically true.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NutritiousSnack posted:

I'm sure the fact the same people being involved GamerGate, the same places being involved (4chan /v/ and Reddit gaming subreddits) have nothing do with what's going on now.

I don't know what you're saying but the fact of the matter is that "Doritospope" et all were not significantly worse than the past few decades of video game media.

And it's not like there was major outrage either; people ate up Halo 3 Mountain Dew and the like in 2007.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NutritiousSnack posted:

Thousands of internet memes, years of mockery by 4chan and reddit is major outrage. Just going "nah uh" doesn't change that. This started with that, continued with everything from Mass Effect 3 and Sim City, before leading into this.

Literally the only meme I can think of off-hand that's even remotely related is that MW2 boycott group which says exactly the opposite message.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NutritiousSnack posted:

The pope hat was a major meme, "Reclaim Mass Effect" was a major social media movement, and so was EA continued victories of worst company.

You're pointing out grievances at developers, not media outlets.

People didn't say "I'm mad at Mass Effect because it got good reviews and it was bad", it was "I'm mad at Mass Effect because it has a poo poo ending and it's Bioware's fault".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

INH5 posted:

They got mad at media outlets too, when they responded to the controversy with several articles bashing "entitled gamers who can't appreciate art." Also, a number of people wondered why almost none of the reviews mentioned the ending. Look up the Mass Effect 3 Spoiler thread in the archives if you want an idea of how crazy things got back then.

I'm well aware of the ME3 thread and I'm well aware that it more or less died out once Bioware said that they'd do an "addition" to the ending.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NutritiousSnack posted:

It went on for years making fun and then further critiquing the ending and the coverage to it actually. And we're talking about the press once again.

No, it pretty much petered out into "welp Bioware killed the franchise" and how some of the DLC looked cool.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If only we were united on Video Games we could enact Communism.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Broniki posted:

if you consider female figures/fictional women to be the same as real women then yes you may develop some problems

After all, no one has ever used a fictional representation of a group as a standin to a real member of that group.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I don't know why anyone cared about Reefer Madness because obviously those were fictional people.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Craptacular! posted:

Just want to mention since last night discussion of Mass Effect's ending came up, with some people saying that fans of other media don't lose their poo poo with petitions and editorials and so on, and that this makes gamers uniquely retarded among entertainment consumers, I want to say film/TV fans actually have lost their poo poo over a controversial ending direction before.

Both the works referenced above are way, way older than Mass Effect. And still talked about.

You could have cited How I Met Your Mother but it doesn't change the fact that no one petitioned the studios to release an alternate cut of the ending like people did with Bioware.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Craptacular! posted:

It happens.

The game consumer just happens to be a lot more internet-savvy, generally. A wide majority of TV consumers think Facebook is the internet, just as they used to think AOL was the internet.

Again, HIMYM ticks similar (age) demographics to video games and no one petitioned them for an alternate ending.

They just said "yeah we wasted most of a decade on this, that sucks".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cyron posted:

It's also easier to change a ending of a game then a ending of a live tv show. Hardest part is voice acting. But it's easier then live actors.

They're pretty similar now that everything is voice acted.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Craptacular! posted:

I don't know what your point is. TV has a very different type of industry coverage.

That is my point.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Craptacular! posted:

But are you arguing that the video game consumer is somehow 'more retarded' (or autistic or whatever your favorite put-down for "obsessed with this to the point that it scares normal people"?) Because I don't think anything proved that. The venues for which people complain about TV and movies leaving them unsatisfied has a much larger 'reach' than a change.org opinion spread on NeoGAF and then linked once on Kotaku.

The proof is that TV audiences don't get in an uproar about this, even controlling for age. Hell, even if you control for other demographics you don't get the same sort of vitriol. For example, Battlestar Galactica had a whole bunch of "this ending is poo poo" but not any "we should petition this until it's changed".

Your example for the Sopranos isn't even that relevant because people didn't want a change, they wanted another 10 seconds of film.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

INH5 posted:

A thing to keep in mind is that with TV changing an ending usually isn't possible at all, as even if the studios would be willing to put up money for it, there's a good chance that the sets will have all been torn down and the actors will have moved onto other roles by the time the final episode airs. DLC is commonplace in games.

So instead the guy's just comparing apples to oranges. Good to know.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NutritiousSnack posted:

Same, when a man sees a women displaying, ugh sexuality, it overrides other character traits. We have know admitting sexuality or display it without shame might give women or men a non warped perception of but pride, self esteem, and sensuality are things no real woman feels.

When 90% of women in video games look like that, this tends to be true.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

osietra posted:

I've been in Computer Science and the surrounding culture for almost 15 years and I have yet to find an effective counter to troll culture. They evolve just as fast as the medium. Short of removing anonymity entirely, or drastically increasing the powers of net surveillance, it's basically whackamole.

Increasing the number of women and racial minorities tends to do wonders.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

he just copy pasted me :3: but id love to see some research on that! I personally dont see how diversity affects kickstarter trolling, for example

Women tend not to call feminist kickstarters as "Feminazis trying to censor the internet".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NutritiousSnack posted:

4chan has around a 60% female userbase, 4chan isn't known as a friendly open place. Once again Kim's game caused women to chimp out and act like abusive asshats online.

4chan is 100% homosexual too if you go by their self-identification.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

INH5 posted:

Look up any boy band fan forum.

I didn't know boybands dealt with feminism.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
What killed comics was the enormous bubble in the 90s that basically made them unaffordable to anyone but adults. Then after it crashed no one cared.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

INH5 posted:

I missed a post and meant that as a general counter to "increasing the representation of women and minorities does wonders to counter-act troll culture."

Or forget boy bands, check out any fan fiction community and you'll find an overwhelmingly female community with exactly as any bitter slapfights over pointless bullshit as any video game community, which frequently do involve debates over feminism. Seriously, women are not magically better behaved than men.

It's almost as though the point was that a mix of people is ideal.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

natetimm posted:

Nobody is complaining about new IPs with minority characters.

Mostly because they don't exist.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

natetimm posted:

This would probably have been accurate in 1998.

And today?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

natetimm posted:

Today every journalistic outlet is beating their meat ragged over how inclusive E3 is.

And what new IPs demonstrate this inclusiveness?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

natetimm posted:

Jesus Christ, you're being intentionally obtuse. Go look at any of the E3 coverage where they're claiming the gaming industry is "sticking it to GG" with all their new protagonists.

So you can't give me a single new IP?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

natetimm posted:

I could if I thought you were being remotely honest about the question. It's two clicks away. Go look for yourself.

Why should I have to do your work for you?

Just name a new IP. It'll take fewer characters than a tweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

And which one of these new IPs features minority characters?

• Locked thread