Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Thunder Moose posted:

Serious post: I thought it all began with Rome 2 when the game was realized in a really poor form (unplayable) despite a lot of review companies giving it like 9/10s and 10/10s.

Then I found out it was actually about feminism and the video game industry. I still am super lost and would appreciate a decent summary on the issue so I can appreciate it.

In 2013 Zoe Quinn released a free video game for free about depression. In 2014, her caremad ex-boyfriend made a blog post about how much he hated her because she'd rather sleep with people that aren't him. He posted this rant on reddit, 4 Chan, ect. The ethics in games journalism cry came in when Zoe herself confirmed that yeah, she once slept with a dude who worked for kotaku. Said dude never reviewed her free game, nor had any editorial power.

So yeah, it's about hating women b/c they don't want to gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Dapper Dan posted:

To be honest, I don't give two shits about ethics in game journalism. Its like trying to take the NRA out of Guns and Ammo. It is not going to happen. If it doesn't stay terrible, how will I laugh at 'games journalists'?

Also, it was recently revealed that less than 3% of people use game reviews to make a purchase. It is all YouTube and word of mouth nowadays.Gaming sites are the walking dead at this point. There's no real point to reforming 'gaming journalism' when it is at the end of its run. I honestly take recommendations for buying stuff in the Games `forum over any reviewer. I can't ever recall buying something based off a game review except to see if it would melt my computer or not.

Yup, pretty much this.

You tubers get advanced looks at games I return for positive reviews. Clearly, this is all the fault of women who don't think getting cheevos for virtual sex is an awesome idea.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

Can someone clear something up for me? Were there PoCs in medieval Bohemia or not?

Probably. I mean, you likely had some folks of Turkish, Mongol, and Jewish descent in the area

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

lmao, what? I assume at this point you're just having a go at people and messing around.

Hmm yeah I wanna play as big titty lady, other big titty lady, or phat rear end lady. Or maybe I play as short skirt girl.

Oh man, I don't wanna play as sumo wrestler, pretty boy, lanky Indian man, or pro weightlifter

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

This is an absurd stupid rear end thing to say.

Yeah C Viper, Sakura, Chun Li, Cammy, Rose, Poison, ect. aren't sexualized at all you're right.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

All female characters need to be fully clothed and can't show any skin what so ever or it's sexist as gently caress and oppressive to women all over the world.

It is when every single female character is pretty explicitly designed to be j/o material.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Bholder posted:

Remember kids, sex is bad and only men enjoy the female form.

Oh, street fighter's character designs were done by a woman rather than a dude projecting his fetishes and power fantasies?

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

This thread is so much worse than the other one ever was.

Good to know that you are here to help improve it with your obsessive 1 votes.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Maybe this is true (I'm going with it doesn't though), but this doesn't apply to Street Fighter.

It most certainly applies to Street Fighter, the game where every female character is sexualized. Even if you argue that all the male characters are sexualized too, and you can, it doesn't make it OK to design every single character in that manner.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

lmao you can't be serious.

Is is necessary to show her push up bra? What purpose does it serve? Same with the cleavage revealing outfit of C. Viper, the too-short schoolgirl uniform on Sakura, the long slots on Chun-Li's dress?

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Seeing a sports bra is your standard of sexist is beyond loving absurd. I can't believe you are not capable of seeing this.

It's not about seeing a sports bra, it's about the context.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

The demographics for fighting games havent shifted an iota from where they began in the 90s, so the purpose is to tittilate all the boys and men playing those games as they are still not popular with women.

Doesn't excuse it in my mind. Maybe that would change if you didn't have such a strong history of highly sexualized female characters on fighting games. Probably would require changes in fighting game culture as well, but less sexualized designs would be a start.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I play these games and afterwards do not go off and masturbate to the female characters. So like I said earlier, kinda, if someone is doing this, or see's it as sexualized, then that is entirely on them.

That's good for you. It doesn't change that the character designs include elements that would actually be a hindrance when fighting, and only serve to enhance and emphasize characteristics that are consistently considered sexual by societal standards.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

*puts on school sailor uniform meant for a pre-teen* yeah this is a good outfit for fighting, yeah this short skirt is really gonna give me range of motion on my kicks.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Which societal standards? There are hundreds of them all throughout the world. Games these days are typical made by a very diverse group of people with different cultural backgrounds and views of the world. You're shoving your western world standards down everyones throat, and lets be honest here, western (American especially) standards are largely hypocritical and bullshit.

Oh come on. Street Fighter is a Japanese game designed for Japanese and western audiences, as they are the primary consumers. Are you seriously stating that breasts, buttocks, legs, school uniforms, ect. do not have a history of being sexualized in these cultures?

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

natetimm posted:

If they depicted women in outfits that actually represented professional fighters they would be even more naked and sexualized. Minimal spandex is pretty much the norm in fighting sports, adding that much costume is a cover-up if anything, not a blatant sexualization.

I wrestled. Singlets aren't flattering no matter what bits and bobs you have attached, and they are not designed to emphasize sexual characteristics.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

I am curious, however, under what circumstances a "sexualized" character would be acceptable if created by a female, uh, creator. Everyone seems to be bouncing back and forth between the fictional/not fictional thing and I don't see any actual criteria getting talked about.

Is the game dealing with sexuality? Go for it. Hell, even in a fighting game you can have someone with a bit more cleavage showing, just don't exaggerate and emphasize sexual characteristics for the sake of titillation on every single character, or even most characters. To me, at least, the gender of the creator and creations doesn't really matter.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

Can we still derail this thread to talk about the Elder Scrolls Franchise?

Boob plate is dumb as gently caress but TES is cool and alright

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

gently caress

Does anyone wanna talk about Elder Scrolls?

I think C0DA is a fantastic piece of work

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

I can't remember where it was, but someone complained about a guy spreading his legs open on a subway as a form of "male dominance" or whatever.

There was a Tumblr dedicated to that. The point was, if I recall, that men sitting that way take up an inordinate amount of space.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Seriously Kirkbride is a storytelling genius and he adds a huge amount of depth into the TES world. I would go so far as to say that TES is the franchise with the strongest world building lore-wise.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

I think that making posts about how opposed I am to things makes me a good person. I used to be a massive piece of poo poo, but let me assure you, that is in the past, and I am only now a huge piece of poo poo to the people you guys dislike. Can I keep posting in D&D forever now?

You are always welcome to post here, no matter your opinion, just don't be surprised if you get called out on something.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

*nods* :)

What if I emptyquote senior posters, that's how I usually try to fit in?

You must post in the D&D illuminati thread with the correct empty quote

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

#comicgate is a thing I just read in that. I want to cry right now.

Never underestimate the ability of reactionaries to perceive scandal.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

natetimm posted:

I think the big outrage was the removal of the variant cover that referenced the killing joke because it was "disempowering" to Batgirl.

It was kind of rapey duder

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

natetimm posted:

Puritan pearl-clutcher.

I mean, if you don't think do that's valid, but it was kinda bad for a lot of people so maybe we should be sensitive to that? I'm not saying the art shouldn't exist, or have a context to be used in, but I'm not sure the variant cover was the right one.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

natetimm posted:

You are a thinly veiled censor and at heart a conservative.

Ok, if you say so, not sure how you reached that conclusion but oh well.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

memy posted:

DC rejected the first draft of the variant cover for not being rapey enough, and then immediately and publicly caved to criticism after the reveal

If that doesn't sound like an obvious publicity stunt then I have a bridge to sell you. Be honest, how many of you knew there was a batgirl reboot before the controversy?

I did because I like Batgirl as a character.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

natetimm posted:

If we just remove rape from storytelling it will totally eliminate it from society!

-an idiot

Actually having conversations about what constitutes rape and it's impact is how to go about doing it. It's fun doing that in front of a room full of frat bros.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

Cassandra Cain was a very good Batgirl and I hated her Heel-Turn. :(

She's part of the league of batgirls in new 52 so she'll hopefully be back

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

That site seems to have a bit of an editorial slant.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Bholder posted:

I love how all the femfreq defense is all about how all the haters are sexist bigots. Let's make her the epitome of femnist standards no matter what she did or didn't do, going against that would mean you are siding with assholes who can only speak in profanities.

TBF the reaction and vitriol from people who didn't contribute to the Kickstarter and have no actual intent to engage with her work has kind of pushed things in that direction, crowding out real conversation and criticism.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

kickstarter pretty much makes it impossible to get those things short of legal action.

If you paid by credit card usually you can send to to the disputes department at the issuing bank. Usually there is a limit on how far back you can dispute though.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Sinnlos posted:

If you paid by credit card usually you can send to to the disputes department at the issuing bank. Usually there is a limit on how far back you can dispute though.

DO NOT claim fraud though. You'll get laughed at.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

Don't get me wrong, I agree.

Just, people get mad about successfully funded but late as hell kickstarters all the drat time regardless, and Iunno if they're wrong to be unhappy about that.

They aren't wrong, but they entered into an agreement to provide funds for a product that may not be delivered. Is there a reasonable expectation on the part of the consumer that the goods or services will be provided? Yes. Take it up with the disputes department at your credit card, dealing with this is why they exist.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

I'm at work fighting fraud and don't have an hour. Is it a bunch of :biotruths:?

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Bholder posted:

I am smarter than any of you

I find this claim to be dubious.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

I'm just going to imagine a dumpy bald white dude talking about how darker skinned people are naturally more aggressive for an hour.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

its narrated by a black dude who spent 10 years researching racism in London.

My apologies. I'll have to watch it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

The funniest thing about Anita is that what she is saying is coming from a script written by a man. Those opinions are not Anita's.

Ehhh, she certainly has input and participates in the writing process, you cant really remove agency from her.

• Locked thread