Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LEGO Genetics posted:

Kind of wish you could equip npc's with better weapons so they can better defend themselves.

Yeah, same. It's a really cool thing that they can finally defend themselves now but I wish they didn't turn into poo poo at that as soon as hardmode busts in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FraudulentEconomics posted:

Oh you mean like spamming Chlorophyte bullets? Or using the Terrarian?

Good to see the terraria team is ever so fond of kneejerk reactions to fun and different playstyles. Literally the only difference between running around while your dragon wrecks poo poo and holding down the mouse button with chlorophyte bullets is that you have to aim in the general direction with the bullets. I suppose it was bound to happen though, cells shall reign supreme I suppose.

I'm pretty sure the dragon was still behind the curve on damage potential as-is, so I guess if you like being a summoner you're doomed to not-expert or something.

Someone should complain about this stuff to them because wtf does this, dungeon and Helldiving do to shatter the balance of the game?

Chests get locked so you have to progress the way we tell you to because...? Game's fully complete now and this stuff is just tweaks to make sure things work correctly and such so take the locks off already.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Senor Candle posted:

Why can't you just get turtle armor in the beginning? I mean you're going to get it eventually anyways just give me a full set in a chest. Why do you have to beat the wall of flesh to enable hardmode? What if I just want to play in hardmode? 0/10

hmm yes why not those things in hardmode at the beginning of the game that I never said, bray-vo champ

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Senor Candle posted:

Well since you clearly don't understand the idea of items getting progressively stronger, I figured I'd take it to the logical extreme to make fun of you.

Considering my point was 'Why gate things so that you're forced to proceed in a linear fashion?' I think you kinda hosed up there.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Katsuma posted:

Are we still posting base pictures? I wanted to share something I've been working on. It's a bit of a work in progress.

I still need to add all the floors abover the railway, plus a basement, plus a whole bunch of furnishings in what's already there, but so far I'm really happy with how it's turning out.

What does the lever at the top of the stairs do?

I kinda wish granite and Marble areas were bigger with different types of enemies tbh. Seems that the Antlion pit got all the new stuff.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Katsuma posted:

Oh, it opens up the actuated blocks at the bottom of the hovering diamond,allowing entry. I haven't decided what else I'm going to put in there yet.

Oh, now I see it. Cool!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Kind of surprised there's no way to force those.

I feel the same way! Those and Slime Rains.

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah I'm not sure why the moon lord keeps getting buffed with each mini patch. The moon lord is like the culmination of dumb bullet hell poo poo to where my eyes just start to glaze over and I just said gently caress it and linked a teleporter from my arena to a room with the nurse and just sat around shooting chlorophyte bullets until it died.

It's also compounded by the way that endgame bosses become increasingly silly to summon. Nobody wants to jump through a hundred hoops for just a chance to fight a boss and to then have to do it over again if they die.

I'm no game dev so I'm bewildered too by this. First they started nerfing Developer yoyos which I didn't get since I thought the point of getting those was to be able to effortlessly tear through any enemies that you might encounter. At least they're not nerfing the weapons you get from killing the Moon Lord.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, I wish there was a faster, easier way to make teleporters. I mean, the laying wire part.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

The OP is fairly cluttered, but it sounds like there's some desire for a "New to the game? Here's some quick hints!" section. So that's what I'm going to add in next, probably near the very top.

So I'm looking for more poo poo to add to that section, to help new players.

"The sword you start with is garbage, replace it quickly"
"Ask the guide about crafting, give him an item, and he'll show you what you can make with that item."
"Houses should be at least 6 blocks high and a decent length"
"Only walls you put up yourself count for housing"
"Rope is amazing, always carry some in the early game"

and so on.

Grab a snapshot of the crafting menu hammer and stick it in the OP with a big flashing 'CLICK THIS WHEN YOU"RE TRYING TO CRAFT THINGS' siren.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xenaero posted:

You can do WHAT?

Holy crap

Coins too, I believe.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Asciana posted:

So i've spent a week now in Hard mode and its amazing how quickly you go from being fragile to amazing in such a short time. Found a 50 dmg yoyo in hell and on the way back up found the skeleton merchant and promptly bought up the items for a Yoyo bag. That coupled with orichalcum armour is making light work of most enemies so far. That said I seem to have corruption creeping up on both sides of my base awfully quickly.

Run out and dig up all the dirt and stick three blocks of something down far down the line. I've got a Hallow biome to the right of my base and I just stuck three Granite blocks down to stop it reaching the rest of my base.

I just had a thought that might make Expert Mode more appealing. You know all those nerfs they gave for the OP weapons and combos like Vampire Knives and the Spectre set? What if they removed those while you were playing Expert Mode?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, since they're adding a few bits and pieces here and there I'd love for an accessory that lets you place blocks in midair without needing a backwall up .

That and, like, a standing closet that'd let you swap styles and clothes colors whenever you want since we can already mess with hair.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Supremezero posted:

You mean like the dresser.

Dresser only lets you fool around with the colors and not change styles too, as far as I know.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Know what drives me crazy? The sheer wood costs of this fucker. 13 thousand wood and counting. And I can't even use any other variety of wood.

Edit yourself a full inventory of wood you crazy crazy man

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

omeg posted:

Terraria's code is a horrible, horrible mess. I'm really surprised that they somehow manage to update it and not break everything. That said if they do manage to add proper mod support I'd be all over it.

It can't possibly be worse than TF2's coding can it? :ohdear:

Xenaero posted:

Crimson is so creepy. I love it. Wait you can make fleshy crimson furniture? That's even more creepy.

It certainly makes you seem more insane when you make houses and such out of the stuff.

It's weird looking at it now that the Crimson got creepy flesh furniture and the best the Corruption got was bricks and wall.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Motley posted:

Is there a suggested Let's Play that I can watch to get started in this game? I feel a little overwhelmed with the amount of content there is and the correct way to approach it. I've been mining around and upgrading my tools but that is about it so far. It would be nice to get some direction or see a list of goals to work towards or something like that.

I personally watched EthosLab's stuff. I think it was pretty good. Granted, they did a Hardmode playthrough so avoid watching it if you wanna save the surprises.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Download and open up TEdit and find them that way.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

TIL that blood zombies can jump higher than the player and easily get into my floating house.

Doors are for chumps, trapdoors are where it's at.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Rolled a day 3 blood moon and hadn't had much luck finding stuff yet.

You'll get there, don't worry. Don't be afraid to harvest and scrap small worlds to get lots of materials if you need to.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Zombie Guy posted:

Thanks for the tips folks.

I've found the jungle in my explorations, but I haven't tried digging underneath it. I'll give that a shot next time I'm playing.
I did find the Goblin Tinkerer and bought his Workshop in order to combine some of my goodies. I've made an Obsidian Horseshoe and the Arctic Diving gear already.
I've built a long elevator shaft with a rope that goes about 3/4 of the way down the map. I stopped when I hit a huge lava lake that was too much of a pain to drain. It lets me get down to the Hell level fairly quickly.

Good to know about the Hell boss / voodoo doll thing. I'll keep an eye out for that while I'm mining for Hellstone. I want to try and forge a complete set of the Hellstone armour to go along with my fiery sword.

Spoilers: There are 22 NPCs in the game. So make that much room/space/houses/etc if you wanna house them all.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gooooooood loving luck if you run into Granite or Marble anytime soon though. :v:

Also, you're going to want to make a broadsword and a bow. Broadswords swing like a windmill but shortswords just jab out like a rapier and it's less useful since every enemy isn't going to just walk at you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

Six days from now, on May 22, it appears that Patch 1.3.1 will drop.

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/1-3-1-release-date.43505/

To quote Cenx, this patch is "an update for PC that focuses on wiring mechanics and controller support."

Hot dawg, can't believe five years after it was released we're still getting updates, that owns.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Spergminer posted:

O.G. Vampire knives

Shadow Chests.

And I'm also pretty sure there's something else, like you have to do some zones in a specific order now?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Kind of, progress gets hard-gated now once you beat WoF.

Zereth posted:

The Dungeon doesn't spawn hardmode enemies until you beat Plantera.

No, that's not what I was thinking of. I could've swore that it was something pre-hardmode.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Hey I just started playing this game because I've owned it for like years and have only played 10-ish minutes of it prior to today. It's pretty fun and chill. There are a poo poo ton of materials and I have no idea what any of them do but I'm slowly figuring it out as I go.

Here is my lowly First House Ever. I am considering adding a second floor.

Okay, so, you're going to want a mansion. There are a ton of NPCs. Also 1) that hammer in the crafting menu shows you everything you can make in a grid instead of a column 2) Make a Broadsword because the shortsword kinda sucks a lot!

The game is really good and I hope you'll enjoy it!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Wil do. I am currently swinging around a cactus that I made out of other felled cacti, which while it is funny, is not very useful. I'm assuming to get NPCs to move in all I have to do is have a free house-shaped-prison house for them and fulfill the requirements for them showing up, right?

That cactus sword will actually do for now, since it's using a broadsword's swinging arc. And as for NPCs that's a part of it. The other part is fulfilling other requirements. For Example: I don't think the Merchant will move in until you have 50 or more silver.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

edit: Question, torches seem a bit wimpy in the light they produce (I mean look at the light in those houses), will I be able to craft torches that give off more light at some point? Or should I do some renovations and just make some background wall windows?

Not really. Just mass produce or buy a bunch of them and start slapping them down everywhere.

Does the mining helmet still shine if its in your cosmetics tab?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I haven't messed with explosives yet because I'm afraid of blowing myself up, but I've got a pretty big stockpile sitting around so I may as well use them for some mining or something.

Grenades don't destroy blocks and, as far as I remember, they're great for combat too so give those a shot. If you happen to gently caress up and throw one, at least you won't have to worry about breaking anything. You might kill yourself but that happens, it's fine.

Oh! What sized world did you make?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I went with small because I remember it still being pretty big. Having seen it, I'm glad I did because I cannot imagine how big a large-sized one has to be.

Well at least you didn't make the mistake of starting on Expert mode.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Man, I love these newbie trip reports. Seeing people discovering their way through the game really makes me wish I could play it for the first time again. Ever since release I've played almost every major patch to completion, nibbling on the new content, but it sure would be something to start totally blank and see everything in the game, as it is now, with new eyes. :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I HAVE MADE MISTAKES :stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Sqsdjbc-g

CJacobs posted:

You aren't kidding! I am now getting pretty much relentlessly mauled by wolves. Apparently the corrupted areas can spread now, what can I do about that? Do I have to emulate our lord and savior President Trump and just build a big-rear end wall?

It's not that bad. Go over to the corruption, dig up three pieces of dirt in a line and put something like uhhh granite or marble if you've found it or maybe just a few pieces of ore down and it won't be able to spread past that.

AnimalChin posted:

All I have is copper armor and an iron broadsword and I just get my rear end kicked all the time please help.

edit: Oh god cjacobs is doing so well and I am doing so terrible this is embarrassing.

He is quite a ways farther ahead in the game compared to you right now, it's okay. You might wanna get a bow and chop down some trees and fight a ton of slimes to make flaming arrows. That'll help you out a ton when you're fighting zombies and skeletons. OH, and if you find a trap and disarm it, if you hold it out it'll show any wires that're around you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Personally, I ended up making a home that requires entrance via trapdoor so I didn't need to worry about anything breaking down my doors.

Also I just realized that you're going to have a real rough loving time getting the Stylist now. :negative: CJacobs, I'm so sorry to tell you this, but this game has huge spiders in it too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Oh god this game has brown recluses. Sorry Stylist but it looks like I will never acquire your services. :(

Yeahhhhhhh. I'm sorry man. Who knows, maybe you can rope one of your friends into playing the game with you and give them a big shoe weapon. :v:

CJacobs posted:

Casa de Jacobs update:

After freeing the Tinkerer (he was in the dungeon) I did some expanding to give him a place to live. Thanks to the recent pirate invasion my NPCs are all over the drat place but I'm too lazy to go out at night and reset their positions. I have completed a loop going under the house so that I don't have to spend the extra time jumping over the thing every time I just want to pass by. I think it's starting to shape up into a pretty nice place!

Looking pretty respectable! You might wanna look at the furniture you can make now because there're tons of variants of sofas and beds and stuff. http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Furniture

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

what the hell how is there so much content in this game

It was released 5 years ago and it's just been getting more and more content added into it over the years. And not only that but I think it was leaked and it was a rushed release on top of things.

Anyway, you had any experience using magic or yo-yos yet?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Solumin posted:

Not CJacobs, but I was going to ask the thread anyway: I've only played ranged characters in all my ~200 hours of Terraria. Are magic and melee worthwhile builds for solo play? I'm thinking about starting a new character soon (once I finish my mansion and defeat the moon lord...) and I was thinking I should try something new.

It's quite fun. I just use a mix of whatever's available, bows, spells, a sword that I regularly use, etc. The only hurdle is getting enough stars at the beginning to make use of any spells.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

It is, yes. There's also a pretty funny lack of foresight on the devs' part in regards to the naming of armor items. In the vanilla game files, armor is just named "Armor_(ID #)_(body part)", so "Armor_1_Head", et cetera. The problem is that they made male and female body parts use different sprite sheets instead of combining them, so all of the female armors are named "Female_Body_1" and so on. :downs:

Hahaha, y-yeah that sure is a big goofy mistake they made, haha, I totally know what those words mean.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Basically they made 2 files for every arm, body, head, and legs for some reason when they only needed one, and then because of that they had to name them in a silly way to bubblegum-and-duct-tape their way to victory.

Pffft, okay now that's pretty funny.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I dunno if you guys will care about this or not but if you've still got your old armor kicking around you could hang it up to never forget your roots or something.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Mannequin

And they even made one for the ladies too!

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Womannequin

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Miijhal posted:

A gallery of how much better I am at building than all you scrubs.

Godddddddddddd, ore looked so bad back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Well I got my rear end handed to me and then they flew away. I noticed before I got slaughtered that they have upwards of 20,000+ health so I have no idea how I'm supposed to fight them.

Having armor made of hardmode materials- despite that, the first thing you should be working towards are drills/picks- and weapons as well. Space gun isn't gonna cut it anymore now, sadly!

I'm kinda miffed none of this has been streamed so I can laugh at your pain when you encounter spiders enjoy watching someone play this rad game for the first time.