Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, I'm glad you're OK, your boys are relatively OK and the Tesla held up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I want to be first in line for director and writer when they decide to do a gritty reboot of the Dukes of Hazzard in 2026.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Did a manual come with it? Usually the Apple ones say what it takes and how much (though they usually estimate for the RAM available at the time of manufacturer so their max RAM number is often low).

edit:
Memory module capacity 1 GB, 2 GB, and 4 GB
NOTE: 4 GB memory modules may not be available
Memory type DDR3 SODIMM
Minimum memory 1 GB (onboard memory)
Maximum memory 5 GB capable (requires 64-bit Windows Vista® operating system)

I have a feeling it will probably address 8GB even though 8GB sticks did not exist at the time. Usually if there is a motherboard restriction it ends up at some weird number (like the first-gen Macbook Pro's 3GB).

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 3, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

leica posted:

Cross posting from Cycle Asylum, I hit a loving Egret riding my scooter to work and almost bit the dust. Got a face full of feathers and next thing I know I was bouncing of the curb, super lucky I didn't crash.

I thought I would never get a chance to use this.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

Damnit. Got under the car today to see if I could figure out where the gas smell is coming from.

It's coming from the area around the tank for sure. All of the hard lines are in good shape, and nothing was damp, so it's probably the feed or return line leaking where they connect to the pump. There's a TSB for the filler neck cracking (and an actual recall, but it only applies to cars registered in desert states), but you get at least one evap code when it cracks. No codes whatsoever in the ECU, pending or otherwise.

Aren't you in a desert state?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

Lumière would have been worse.

He can probably play Quasimodo now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Here in Alberta the insurance companies kicked up a stink over PEX due to water damage claims and had it very severely restricted, and actually banned in some cases.

PolyB. PEX is fine.

Canada converted from PolyB to PEX very late in the game, decades after we knew it was a ticking time bomb from American homes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I love running around trying to stay ahead of the abatement crew in a building with no A/C.

How fast does saying "master abatement" and then giggling like high schoolers get old?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

SFH1989 posted:

She never even worked and they gave her money for her trouble? I didn't think companies were allowed to be that decent.

Yeah that sounds like a great bunch of people. Can they not hire me too?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I would rock the poo poo out of a 356 Speedster replica on a Blazer frame with knobbies.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Further proof that slow car fast is the most fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihyUjnq9agU
Well, sorta fast. I've only autocrossed twice before and that was at night two years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxJDPstQfkI

Yes, this song did actually come onto the radio as it was pulling up to the start.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

ACEofsnett and I just hotwired a broken mobility scooter he found dumped in the metal recycling dumpster at his shop, after welding an old office chair to it and removing the speed controller and brakes entirely.

it has a loving wheelie bar. it needs it. i can do a drag strip style wheelie and hold it indefinitely, and chirp the tires on launch, on a slight uphill, but the tire pressures are screwed up or something and it corners hard to the right so you have to drop the front before going off the "track."

:iia:

Time to slap a Hobbyking Jasontroller on that bitch and get regen and lipo support.

http://www.etotheipiplusone.net/?p=1688

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

Oh man, please bring this murder-scooter to NEAI. I wanna do a wheelie while holding a beer in one hand, that probably wont work so well on the mopeds :v:

I would assume it has cupholders. They're disabled, not savages.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Well you have to hold the handlebars with one hand (tried steering with my feet and it's concerning at best) and the binary throttle switch in the other, because it is a GMC 1500 cargo lamp dash switch ganked out of a junk truck, and we couldnt find a good way to mount it.

It's the year 2015, surely you must have had a surplus Clapper lying around or something.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

leica posted:

That cat looks exactly like my mother in law's cat that died today, was the sweetest cat ever, the only cat my son knew well and now he's crushed and has been crying all day :(

I'm gutted for your son and mother in law :(

The Locator posted:

Cat hair and dander are why I can never live with one. Even with treatment, I basically can't breath in a 'cat' house, and after about an hour my eyes start to swell closed. If one scratches me, that appendage swells up like a balloon almost instantly. Dunno why, but god decided that cats are my nemesis.
Get a sphynx cat?

They are a little more labour but you're good to go:

quote:

Sphynx: The hairless Sphynx is the cat most often associated with being hypoallergenic. Being hairless does not mean they're maintenance-free, however. Your Sphynx will need frequent baths to remove the gummy buildup of oils on her skin, and her large ears will also require frequent cleanings.

http://www.catster.com/cat-breeds/hypoallergenic-cat-breeds

Plus when you go off the deep end into full cat lady status you can make little sweaters for them :3:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

A lot of (most?) people who are allergic to cats are allergic to a protein in their saliva, not the fur itself.

Sounds like you'll have to do all the spitting on the cat for it. This is a small price to pay.

Or I bet there's some super risky Chinese gene therapy or some poo poo you can get that will either make you non-allergic to cats or kill you outright, which is a gamble you should be willing to take as life without cats is not worth living.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

I didn't give a poo poo about cars until I was 20 or so. Now I love them so much I'm spending stacks on stacks on stacks on avatars for a movie that worships the car in hope that my love can spread to those over the internet.

I love your new avatar.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

gileadexile posted:

I don't really work with any employees. It's a home for mentally ill clients. I poop when I wanna poop and all I could do to the ungrateful clients here would probably get me arrested instead of just fired.

Every business is a home for mentally ill clients.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

goatse guy posted:

They said I can buy the Miata. :swoon:

Hello and welcome to black NA8 club here is your membership booklOH SWEET JESUS THE SWIRLS

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Tommychu posted:

Is there anything blatantly wrong with this ad? It hasn't been getting nearly as many replies as I'd like (basically two, one was from a very nice man in Nigeria and the other guy didn't actually have any money) and I'm new to this 'not scrapping a car out when you're done with it' thing. I've already knocked $500 off the asking price so it's in line with similar cars that have significantly more mileage.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2004-pontiac-vibe/1085136622?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Well, you asked:

I don't care which owner you are in the chain of this car's life. I would replace those two initial sentences with some feel-good pinterest bullshit about how the car has been your best friend during your life, you love it, you have been on tons of adventures and it is ready for [teenage girl]. People buy stories, so give them a ready-made framing that they can fill in the blanks for.

I don't understand what you are saying in the winter tire section, I'm reading anxiety in your wording. I would bump the "good working A/C" above that mention and only say that it is ready for winter with "good condition 15" snow tires."

Mention that the Pontiac Vibe is the same car as a Toyota Matrix, so it shows up on searches for Matrices and ropes in those customers who do not know this badge-engineering fact.

Photo-wise:
Polish your headlights if you're going to make them the first thing I see on the ad. Same deal with the wheels; move the curbed ones to the back and turn the wheels so that I see more wheel and less tire. The wheels are a focal point of your ad text so make them the first thing the ad reader sees.

Do the Asian Male Photo Squat and get low when you are taking the side shots. I shouldn't be able to tell what the roof looks like from the side photos, but it should look sweet and like a magazine shoot.

Take the plate off rather than blur it out, and move it around a few times so you don't have drips under the rear bumper that make people subconsciously think the car is leaking (even though it's just car wash water dripping off).

Clean your dead pedal. 303 the dashboard and make sure all the vents are set, look at how car brochures set their vents when they show a picture of the dashboard.

I'd also clean your rear glass better than the car-wash did and make sure to dry off the bumper with a microfiber and shoot the rear bumper in the sun instead of in shadow. Don't shoot into the sun.

What was the extent of the cosmetic damage in the minor collision? Some trim, a foglight maybe? I'd say what was replaced.

Take a picture of the rear seats so that people know you don't have kids. The hatch too, so they can see if you have the extremely expensive rear hatch rubber liner.

Either park straight in the spots or don't take shots in a parking lot at all.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 13, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Tommychu posted:

And that's exactly the advice I need, thanks. I figured it was a poo poo ad from the view/response ratio but it's tough to know why without a second set of eyes. But where are you seeing curb damage? That's gotta be an artifact of my Razr-grade photography skills because those wheels are near perfect.

I am not seeing curb damage. I was saying if you did have curbed wheels move them to the back, since a lot of people selling on the 'jeej do not.

If you hit up local car forums you might be able to find one of the dudes who does car photography for fun who would be willing to take some snaps. I know a few guys who would probably help in exchange for sweat equity doing mods or repairs to their Subarus.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

I feel like a few tons of bricks just got dropped on my head.

"Mom" and "cancer" are not words you ever want to hear in the same sentence.

I'm going to go find a dark corner to curl up in for a bit.

Oh dude :( I'm so sorry

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

goatse guy posted:

gently caress micromanagers because all of my employees expect it from me. I hate the aspect of management where they constantly expect me to be up in their poo poo, checking their work, and delegating tasks.
Thank you. I find it really hard to get across "I do not immediately expect results but I do expect for you to make my life easier so go figure things out for yourself because that is your job thank you."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I am looking forward to neg dude getting a good whiff of your crusty piss rag.

Thank you for this delightful arc to end the evening.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Elmnt80 posted:

So, for the last 2 days, we've been looking for a camshaft position sensor for the original 8L viper engines at work. The results when we tell the various electronics manufacturers what we're looking for is usually pretty great, but so far Bosch and SRT themselves have taken the cake. When I called bosch, they had someone taking the info for the car, year make model etc. There was the pause when they hear viper, but then the chick on the phone made my day by turning around and asking how many cylinders it had. Apparently "Its a viper, it has a v10. They are all v10s. They have never sold a viper with a differnt number of cylinders." is a smartass response and I am an rear end in a top hat for saying it. SRTs response was almost better, they pointed us to a specialty viper dealership/shop. They are the ones that contacted us due to these parts no longer being manufactured due to low demand. We've exhausted nearly every option available to us with every manufacturer we work with and a few we don't. There is literally nothing out there. The last ditch is tomorrow seeing if some lambo part numbers cross over since they had a had in developing the first v10 I guess.

There's no part number or makers' mark on the existing CaPS? Seems odd especially if it's that big.

If it's cacked already can you dissect it and look for a mark on one of the boards?

It's too bad the Ram SRT10 is so much newer because there are shitloads of those in the wreckers.

Hesitant though I am to trust an eBay interchange list, it doesn't look like it will cost you a lot to find a '95 Ram CaPS from a junkyard and see if it matches:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Camshaft-Position-Sensor-Standard-PC37-fits-92-95-Dodge-Viper-8-0L-V10-/350756627769

RockAuto doesn't list the Standard PC37 under the '92 Viper though.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 16, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

T1g4h posted:

And now I have to decide if I really can drive to Austin in a week or so or if I'm gonna have to break the news to my friends that there's no way in hell i'm gonna make it. Normally I'd be all for it, but I don't have a spare for my Crown Vic thanks to letting a friend borrow it and having it disappear, and considering just last week or so I already had to deal with the consequences of that when I got a flat about 10 minutes from home... Yeah. I kinda feel like taking a car with no spare, no jack, and no lug wrench on a 14 hour trip out of my home state where i'd be totally on my own in the event of an emergency is a bad idea.

Sawzall the fenders back until you can put offroad tires on the Vic, then strap the old wheels and tires to an improvised angle-iron roof rack with twin 300W xenon spotlights. Now you have four spares.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I normally wouldn't toot my own horn but I feel like I was loving on point with this

That's not the part of a '67 Mustang that you should be concerned about rust in.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You can use usps to ship to the UK. You'll have to fill out a tiny customs form but you can do it if you are not fully retarded.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

He wants $2K. I've just started a ramen diet because I want new wheels, tires and suspension for the Miata. I seriously just realized I've spent $600 on Jimmy Johns this loving year and could have knocked out new wheels by now had I not wasted money on subpar sandwiches. If I could get my plastic-robot habit under control I could probably own a GTR by next year.

Start selling everything you don't need in your house. That car is non negotiable.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I found an entire RX7's shift turret full of weed shake when trying to diagnose bad shifting action.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Marauder Stig posted:

Is Rockauto's return policy any good? My brick and mortar place I use here is now charging 3 times the price.

RockAuto is pretty good with it. The only complaint I've had is the cost of shipping it back.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You guys better make a better season of True Detective than this one, is all I'm saying.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's like blue balls in your heart :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

fjelltorsk posted:

currently thinking of hilux, vw amarok and ford ranger, the pick up market in norway is pretty slim. i should probably look at the nissan truck aswell

What about imports? You're a man of the world; it's time for you to sample the garden of international delights that is American trucks.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
How do you like the Beaglebone Black? I can't figure out why it's worth so much more than the Raspberry Pi, but you and some other goons seem to be straight up in love with it.

Me, I'm happy with soldering together my little horror projects with near-disposable $8 STM32F0 discovery boards and Teensys.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

Both of those look neat... I haven't messed around with microcontrollers since I did an AVR-based chording keyboard back in college (gently caress Arduino, I can solder in a crystal and a diode myself thank you). I found it pretty easy to program it as a HID device, but I'm looking at a project now that would either need to act as USB bulk storage or be able to write to an SD card. Bulk storage is probably best.

Have you done either (USB storage or SD card access) with either of those boards? Teensys seems like a decent choice for the USB option.

What's the dev environment like?

I don't think the discovery board can do much with USB as the USB connector is the programmer and debugger. You can't do like HID for instance.

That's the only reason I picked up the Teensy but I found that the documentation on the Teensy is much better and they're done by some random couple out of their house.

My plan is to use the Teensy as some kind of HID device to emulate a game boy camera printer and just send the pictures to a program on the computer.

SD card is something I want to do too. I have one of the Chinesium eBay SD SPI breakout boards that I should figure out how to ghetto together one day.

Dev tools on the ST discovery board seem pretty good if you're on Windows. I had to kill a few evenings hacking together a cross compiler setup for it on my Mac.

The Teensy was up and running off the bat; you can use either the Arduino suite of tools or just cross compile to it with the Teensy documentation, which is good.

Give the teensy people all your money is what I'm trying to say.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 29, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Bape Culture posted:

I want to race one around a circuit

Also today I had my biggest BMW parts surprise so far and almost cried. 380£ for power steering lines :negative: csl rack on though so eh

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to crimp your own AN lines? It is on the Subarus.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Amazon's Seattle recruiter team emails everyone on LinkedIn, I think. They even started having local "hiring events" in my city which I'm sure must be really depressing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Well gently caress you guys then

To be fair, I'm not rejecting it because of Seattle. I'm rejecting it because Amazon seems like a place that grinds up juniors and makes the senior developers clean up their messes in between layoff cycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Elmnt80 posted:

True, I do enjoy it when there is some oddball part off of some rare car to find. Finding parts for stuff that was rare when it was being made and hasn't been in production for 60+ years is a pretty good feeling.

Hell, if you're a parts guy who can actually answer emails and doesn't constantly gently caress the dog at every chance you get, you're already ahead of 99% of parts guys I've ever met.

• Locked thread