Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Vengarr posted:

I have a feeling this could be really, really good.

It gets really, really skeezy and gross. I have no idea if it keeps going downhill but I stopped reading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SorcerousHam posted:

From what's been translated so far, besides the average unneccessary anime bullshit, I can't really remember anything too gross? That's up to volume 4 and I can't really see this series getting past there with 12 episodes.

Then again maybe I'm just desensitised to it all / am skim reading passages too much.

He squeezes a chick so hard her intestines burst out

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yeah, surprisingly the show about a skeleton man and his band of fiercely loyal amoral monsters has some gore.

Maybe I just don't watch enough anime to be desensitized to that sort of thing.

Myurton posted:

So? That scene isn't even close to being in the same ballpark as the most gory and overdone scene I've ever seen in an anime show, movie, or any other media for that matter.

If you want to see what gore really is go watch some Genocyber.

edit:
Also if you don't like the story then why are you talking about it? If I don't like something I usually stop watching it/reading it, and stop commenting on and reading comments on said story material and let people form their own opinion about said story.

I agree, people should never ever talk about things they don't like.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Pharohman777 posted:

The NPCs do exactly that.

They even misinterpret what they 'heard' the supreme beings talking about in the past.

Mare is the only 'young' boy around, and so he and Demiurge think that dressing like a Trap is how boys should dress, based on what Mare's creator said.
They are very ignorant about some things, since they never saw young children, and they never grew up.

In the light novel, Mare's creator is a H-game voice actress who likes young(looking) crossdressing boys and girls, and her brother, Shalltears creator, was an H-game enthusiast who gave Shalltear a bunch of fetishes, including necrophilia.
They fought a lot because nothing kills a H-game like hearing your sister as one of the characters, and they wrote the conflict into their NPCs biography.

In the light novel and Manga, the last line Momonga changed on Albedo was not 'Is a bitch' but was 'Is a Nymphomaniac/Slut'.

I'm so confused but I'm really glad this thread exists, now.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Overlord is actually a clever commentary on the discrimination that honest, hardworking skeletons face in their daily lives.

Overlord is an elaborate parody of discrimination complexes. Despite claiming they were a victimized minority for picking the 'evil' races almost all MMOs with factions have a roughly even population.

It makes you think.

e: I think the real reason peopled bullied them is they all have ridiculous fantasy names.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 5, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

His name meant 'flying squirrel' in English. As a skeleton dude.

I keep getting distracted by Ainz Ooal Gown or whatever.

Desuwa posted:

They don't go too far into depth about it but the game didn't have factions; non-human characters were supposedly rare and hard to get so the vast majority played humans. Same with some of his classes which were rare. Like becoming a Jedi in Star Wars Galaxies if the steps weren't posted on the internet for everyone to see.

Not something that would work well in real life, but works for giving the anime a decent setting.

Oh, okay. So what it's ACTUALLY about is a mocking satire of the bourgeois, and how from their privileged position they claim to be victimized by the proletariat while ruthlessly exploiting and looking down upon them.,

AGC.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Ya I can recognize a bunch of D&D spells used.

Tier whatever spells are a pretty clear reference to spell levels, which is what I noticed.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Non Human races pretty much were stuff you had to pay for. Ains Ooal Gown the guild was famous for the amount of the real money they put down to get so much stuff. (That and the raid they created. Using a lot of this pay to win stuff.)

Oh my god I thought you were joking, but then I looked it up and they actually are the famous pay to win guild. :allears:

I really hope someone makes fun of them for that in some way, I don't care who or how.

e: Also they have a "You have to be a member of society" rule, but the guildmaster admits he has no friends, family or anything outside the game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

To be fair pay 2 win probably just balanced the game more than anything since they were likely competing with NEETs.

Sure, but if it were a real game (that isn't EVE) "those guys who bought their way to the top" would be a laughingstock.

darkgray posted:

I think the word's connotation in Japanese is more that they're a working adult, economically independent of their parents, etc. Not so much social.

Yeah I know that, but I still think he'd be considered a friendless loser by the standards of most people, even the ones on this forum. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Razzled posted:

By who? Only nerds with more time than money

Well, the vast majority of people who play MMOs are casual players.

I'm not pounding my fists demanding more realism or something, I just think it'd be funny for the first people who recognize him from Yggdrassil remembering him as that guy everyone hated for buying his way to the top in front of his minions. :v:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So basically Goons from EVE.

Pretty much.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 6, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I suppose its not that kind of show, but I just like seeing smug invincible types get knocked down a peg.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

They were also famous for the fact that the Great Tomb of Nazerick was the Hardest Raid in the game and that no players managed to beat it prior to Yggdrasial going offline. From what I read. Guilds never got past then the 6th floor before being wiped. Until a huge alliance of players and their NPC's managed to get to the 8th floor before being wiped. After this the Tomb was considered unbeatable.

Reading about the Tomb is rather interesting.

Basically they were WildStar devs. :colbert:

Mordaedil posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the way the pay-2-win aspect in Yggdrasil worked by playing a slot machine and not all of the members usually spent all their money on it, but Momonga did because he had nothing better to spend his paycheck on, so he sat around playing pachinko machines until they dropped good stuff and he was the most unlucky member in Ainz Ooal Gown, being generally jealous of everyone who got something good on their first roll.

Couldn't tell, you, but the entry about them on the wiki I read was "Famous for having spent the most money on the game and having an unbeatable dungeon."

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

The tomb itself was originally just an area in the game that they managed to take right? I thought it was pretty sweet that once they conquered it the game allowed them to modify it as well.

I think they made it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I *ungh* think that *ah* the writing of the rape *ungh* scene was really *UNGHHH* exquisite and that anyone who *OH* complains about it is a cultureless gaijin ahhh yeah.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The payoff on that plot thread is why I'm interested in the show still. Hopefully it'll be decent. My guess is there'll be some divide if he ever encounters one of his guildmates.

Fabricated posted:

Ainz paranoia is probably because he's a not totally optimal level 100 character due to his RP-build but given that his ridiculous raid dungeon HQ was able to wipe full raid parties of max-level characters back in the game world even before he and his guildmates had to lift a finger you'd think he'd not give a poo poo if people saw the tomb.

Like, what're the yokals going to do? Even if there's level 80-100 equivalent people out there the Tomb should be a loving death trap for them; even if they're that strong/good they can't know the world's system as well as Ainz, and they sure as gently caress don't get to rez if they get killed.

The thing is, it was mentioned that some of the best items in the game were basically win conditions. They wouldn't have a chance if some dude had a sword that say, dusted Undead on touch.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Perhaps the fact that you get the same reaction from bringing up that dumb webcomic every time is some sort of clue? If only there was some way to tell what "no one cares about your dumb webcomic" truly means...

I'm not sure if it's funnier that he keeps bringing up apropos of nothing or the fact that you're citing your own posts as proof that it bothers people in general.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Pharohman777 posted:

One of the big things about Momonga is that he is/was the leader of THE pvp guild, and all the tactics needed to be good at pvp.
Knowing your enemy and what threats there are is very different from just smashing everything, so everything gets political.
He pulls out his power when a fight is unavoidable, since he is constantly trying to integrate himself into the world to learn of any powerful entities that could be a threat to him, and their weaknesses.

One big thing about the game is that death made you lose 5 levels and drop a random piece of gear if you were not resurrected in time. PvP was very serious in the game for that reason, and Momonga is right to be very wary, since he is kitted out to an amazing degree, and he knows every dirty trick that his allies used.
At his power level, and with his gear, death is not something you want. This is a big reason behind his paranoia, even though he is amazingly powerful.

He wasn't the leader and they weren't THE PvP guild, they were the pay to win guild. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

Nope. More like level 100.

That's hardly a spoiler.

Wouldn't it be level 100 minus whatever penalty for being a Lich? Why am I so concerned about the rules of a fake DnD anime MMO? :iiam:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
If it's like a real MMO all the high level players are probably goofing off somewhere else, anyways.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

If she were real she would be very sexy, but she is a cartoon

Those are fighting words in Vegeta boy.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I think getting way too worked up over things is SF's gimmick.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Momonga believed that The Great Tomb could not be overtaken. That is until one crafty druid kited a world boss to the front gates.

Can't wait for the episode where someone solos the tomb by getting punched in the face ten thousand times.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ains is a lonely, timid man who suddenly gained great power. For all that he is now essentially a god, the most important thing to him is still the good old days with his mmo guild. So, with that in mind, he only has three goals in life. Protect what his friends left behind, make himself famous so that if any of his friends are around they will come back, and avoid disappointing his evil minions who alternately serve as proxies for his friends and their children.

Of course, he gradually grows into the evil lich role he plays, but he still would give it all up in a second to be playing that mmo with his guild again.

I'm interested in how he'll respond to a real, actual threat. Lich-ness surpresses his feelings, but you're basically right. He's never really had to fear for his life before so I'm wondering how he'll react when it really is.

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, I think that's always an interesting scenario when I see it in games and more rarely in other fiction. Like, is it just to take down a guy who is trying to kill all magic users just because one once tried to kill him, knowing that he's less crazy than the guy he replaced and the guy who would replace him is probably going to run the kingdom into the ground? Or to take out a flat out evil ruler who enslaved a bunch of warring tribes, but in doing so brought them some semblance of order and is keeping them from killing each other or spreading out to their neighbors on wild killing sprees?

Does anyone happen to know any stories that deal with that kind of conflict, particularly in book form? I'm going to be on vacation for awhile and could use some reading material.

Let me tellyou about "The World of Warcraft", friend. :shepface:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I would watch a HATE anime, as long as it spent all the episodes on making shivs in a dingy basement.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

An anime about being trapped in a moba

IIRC PW sponsored a bunch of DotA manga. :frog:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

If Overlord ends with everything Momonga worked for and tried to keep together being destroyed by a physical manifestation of the wrath of god summoned by the lamentations of all Nazrick's victims rising up to the Lord's throne it would be a dope ending.

Overlord ends with a patch nerfing undead and a Wile E Coyote style shot of him turning to the camera looking concerned.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The guy hasn't really gone exploring too far beyond his home base. It makes sense to feel things out more stealthily because even if it's unlikely, it's completely possible that the guy hanging over the next hill is level 200 and knock out the entire contents of the tomb in less then a sunday afternoon. If he starts a continent wide conquest, if there's anyone bigger then him, they're going to find out.

If he's just messing with the guys next door even if someone bigger does exist, they probably won't notice and even if they do they might just not care.

It's the same reason he bothered pretending he was the cool edgy black knight instead of just wandering around as a lich.

Mordaedil posted:

It's not really a video game anymore, it seems to me like it used to be a game and then got transported into someones D&D campaign.

So, uh no patches. Maybe an apocalypse stone though...

I don't think there's any clues at all towards the relationship the game and the new place have.

The series ends with it being revealed as a dying dream as he's hanging himself from his doorknob as a result of his game shutting down.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 29, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Uh the Anagram does not work.

Anagrams are allowed to change one letter, keep trying. :colbert:

Iretep posted:

And Ainz has already tortured a few people to death because he wanted to ask them state secrets.

Well, he's done a few things that are wrong, but he did do a whole lot of things that were right.

He tortured some folks. :haw:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 2, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Einander posted:

Volume 4 isn't going to happen. The opening also has Sebas preparing to fight, but it's not like we're going to do Volume 4 and Volume 5 in one episode each.

“First time I’ve seen that kind of magic… you’re a magic caster?”

A magic caster would have no need for armor, which would explain why these two would be wearing a dress in a place like this.

“A faith based magic caster, believer of the bloodline of the origin, God Cainabel.”

“Cainabel? First time hearing of a god by that name. Is he an evil god?”

“Yes, he belonged to that category. Well, he was defeated by the Supreme Beings anyways. According to them, he was a ‘weak event boss’. “

Shalltear is basically a vampire paladin.

Don't anime like these usually only run for one season? I wonder how they're going to end it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I feel like the cancer wizard gimmick in dnd 3.5 was all about short range but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

:yikes:

glad I skim this thread!!

• Locked thread